• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

Some of Renault's posters are really good.

3CFgm5i.jpg

Nice, reminds me of Firewatch.

I think the writing is on the walls now in Renault. They want him to get in the driving seat for next year.

I suspect they're aiming higher for next year. His chances of getting the drive for some races this year are decent, maybe next year if he does well and they can't get Alonso.

Aiii

So not worth it
Palmer isn't getting a podium friends.

Neither is Stroll gonna get another one. He lucked into the last one and good on him for staying out of trouble and not crashing, but that's unlikely to happen again.

It's all good, the road is clear for Kubica.

DD

Palmer isn't getting a podium friends.

Neither is Stroll gonna get another one. He lucked into the last one and good on him for staying out of trouble and not crashing, but that's unlikely to happen again.

It's all good, the road is clear for Kubica.

Amen.

Zaru

Kubica's odds of coming back are probably higher than Palmer's chances of keeping his seat at his current performance level.
The two do not necessarily have to overlap, but they could.

Kubica's odds of coming back are probably higher than Palmer's chances of keeping his seat at his current performance level.
The two do not necessarily have to overlap, but they could.
Based on the last interview I saw of him Palmer comes off as a massive walking whinge machine. He can't leave fast enough.

John_B

Kvyat fresh off his demotion was saltier than a fast food chicken sandwich.
Two races earlier Kvyat was on the podium and then got demoted only to see Verstappen take a victory that arguably could have been his. In the end Red Bull made things right by keeping him despite a total shit season.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Naa Kubica will be #1 in his team for longer than Kimi was at least.

I like Kubica as much as the next guy, but if he is drafted in to replace Palmer, I can't see him getting the better of Hulkenberg after such a long time out. If he's drafted in mid-season, I can't really see him doing much better than Palmer is doing now.

Still, if it was up to me, Kubica would be in that seat immediately and unless his return was a disaster, I'd get him in older cars as much as possible over the winter and see what he's capable of next season.

It'd be amazing to see him back on the grid, so I hope it works out for him.

DBT85

I like Kubica as much as the next guy, but if he is drafted in to replace Palmer, I can't see him getting the better of Hulkenberg after such a long time out. If he's drafted in mid-season, I can't really see him doing much better than Palmer is doing now.

Still, if it was up to me, Kubica would be in that seat immediately and unless his return was a disaster, I'd get him in older cars as much as possible over the winter and see what he's capable of next season.

It'd be amazing to see him back on the grid, so I hope it works out for him.

Hmm, I suppose we'll only know if he gets back into a car. His first outing in an F1 car in 6 years he completed 115 laps and was "very fast" according to reports so that has to be good. It's also not like he's been vegging in a chair, he's still been doing stuff.

Also, I think most felt that Kubica had the ability to go toe to toe with the likes of Hamilton and Alonso before his accident. Hulk is good but not at that level, just as Kimi isn't.

Zaru

They're putting Hamilton and Vettel together for the driver's press conference
Poor Magnussen gets sandwiched inbetween

DrM

Redmond's Baby

They should get Palmer instead of Magnussen. Nobody would even notice him between those two.

Aiii

So not worth it
The second set is gonna be Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz Jr. and Felipe Massa, even there I expect Max to get the most questions given his recent bouts of DNF's, his teammate picking up the podiums and race win he was in position for when he DNF'd, and the fact he left the track without doing interviews at Baku.

Should have put Stroll in there instead of Massa, how weird is that.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I mean, no shit. I expect lots of "case closed", "not focussing on that" comments. They always do this to generate fireworks, and it very rarely happens.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Hmm, I suppose we'll only know if he gets back into a car. His first outing in an F1 car in 6 years he completed 115 laps and was "very fast" according to reports so that has to be good. It's also not like he's been vegging in a chair, he's still been doing stuff.

Also, I think most felt that Kubica had the ability to go toe to toe with the likes of Hamilton and Alonso before his accident. Hulk is good but not at that level, just as Kimi isn't.

I can't help but feel that the Hamilton/Alonso comparisons were rather unfounded at the time. He'd proven himself to be the best of the rest in fairly average/above average cars, whilst going up against some fairly average teammates, but that's pretty much it. And even if they were dead on, that was almost seven years ago. Sure, the guy had a spark to him, and I expected great things of him at the time, but that was then and this is now. A lot can change in six and a half years.

Sure, he's been doing rallying, but between the time out of single seaters and recovery from a traumatic accident, I think it's foolish to expect too much of him, regardless of his pace in a private test.

Jibbed

Dear god no. I hope that just means a more favorable renegotiation of Bernie's CVC-fueled contracts.

No need to worry, that's exactly what they're doing.

Liberty are unable to renegotiate existing contracts so Silverstone exercising their break clause is the best way to get a new deal done.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dear god no. I hope that just means a more favorable renegotiation of Bernie's CVC-fueled contracts.

Liberty offered to take on the next five years of promotion and pay them for the 2~3 million pound yearly losses during that time so the BRDC can get their act in order and the BRDC still can't survive because the fee increase would kill them.

Normally I'd agree that Bernie's contracts were a problem, but Liberty is going above and beyond and still the BRDC can't manage. This seems to be more of a local government/BRDC issue and I doubt it will ever change.

I'm sure we'll have a British GP, Liberty will make sure of that, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't at Silverstone.

Aiii

So not worth it
GP2 news:
Raffaele Marciello is set to link up with Trident for this weekend's round of the FIA Formula 2 Championship at the Red Bull Ring, with Sergio Canamasas switching to Rapax, in place of Johnny Cecotto Jr.

An updated entry list from the FIA confirms that Marciello has taken over the second Trident seat from Canamasas, the Spaniard having replaced Cecotto Jr. at Rapax.

Former Ferrari junior Marciello competed in the series under its GP2 guise from 2014-16, finishing fourth last year with Russian Time, before switching to Blancpain this season.

Marciello spent 2015 with Trident and also carried out post-season testing to aid the squad at the end of 2016.

Canamasas, 15th in the championship, has moved to Rapax, his seventh different squad across seven years in GP2/F2.

The moves leave Cecotto Jr., 12th in the standings, having claimed a podium in the Monaco Sprint Race, without a seat.

Elsewhere, Alexander Albon is set to return with ART Grand Prix, having missed the preceding event in Baku after fracturing his collarbone while training on his bike.

tomtom94

I'm sure we'll have a British GP, Liberty will make sure of that, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't at Silverstone.

I would imagine there's the possibility we'll skip Britain for a year like we did Germany.

Also it's nice to confirm what I'd always suspected that the most recent additions to the calendar are in effect subsidising the "classic" tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom