• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

Yeah there was no need for that sorry but they really get on my nerves. Anyways...that was better than I thought it'd be and I hope this is the start of some great promos by Liberty. Really disappointed that Hamilton couldn't be there and it's not doing him any favours when you see the other 19 drivers up there and getting involved.

When #TeamLH just make excuses for him and he can do no wrong in their eyes, he has no reason to show up I guess. 🤷

Yeah there was no need for that sorry but they really get on my nerves. Anyways...that was better than I thought it'd be and I hope this is the start of some great promos by Liberty. Really disappointed that Hamilton couldn't be there and it's not doing him any favours when you see the other 19 drivers up there and getting involved.

Yeah and they kinda had to keep saying it to the crowds too. The one time they get all of the teams out of a GP and into one spot for the good of the sport and the homeboy (sorry Palmer) doesn't show. The need for a holiday might very well be the most accurate way to describe him not being able to attend and I hope he takes more breaks if that's the stress he is under but as a fan not really tied to any team/driver, it just feels so weird to be missing such a big presence.

Spades

Stream just died?

Regarding Hamilton - maybe he had this break planned well in advance.

And that's his prerogative. If he deems a 2-day break more important than this, I mean, that's up to him. As I said, his fans will defend him no matter what he does or doesn't, but when you're the only one out of 20 drivers who doesn't show up on your home turf in an event that is 100% designed to give something back to the fans that ultimately pay their wages, it just doesn't look great.

sammex

tumblr_oszy9bYy771t0grs4o1_1280.png

Who thinks the tax dodging is the main thing people dislike about Hamilton?

DBT85

Heads up for UK GAF. I just got Sky sport added to my account and a 60% discount, so Box sets and Sport in HD is now £28.60 a month, down from the £38 I was paying just for box sets. Handy if you want the F1 and already have Sky at least!

Papers reporting that there's tension between Mercedes and Hammy, he's also not pleased that Toto went to sweet talk Vettel at his birthday celebration after he rammed him.

Hammy going to do a Rosberg and retire.

Fox Mulder

Papers reporting that there's tension between Mercedes and Hammy, he's also not pleased that Toto went to sweet talk Vettel at his birthday celebration after he rammed him.

Hammy going to do a Rosberg and retire.

He might have four titles and a pole record after this year. Wouldn't be a bad time to walk away and go live a celebrity life. I don't think he'd bother going to Ferrari with all that media.

xrnzaaas

I only watched a bit of the stream (Strollol) and sadly they pulled it last night instead of leaving it on their youtube channel. I laughed when one of the commentators said that almost everyone are attending and didn't mention Hamilton specifically as the only absentee.
Pretty dick move on his part by the way, either he's in a fragile mental state or tried to make some statement that we don't know about. ;)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
A lot of people really like Hamilton. He is popular. If F1 had stayed entirely on BBC I think he would be much more popular than he is right now.

He really doesn't help himself though because he is whiny and self-absorbed. I mean that whole paragraph in that excerpt is him him whining that he, a ludicrously rich and successful man, is not even more popular than he is. He says he doesn't think about it a lot, but he clearly does. However he does nothing to try and rectify it. Self-pity isn't appealing, especially when you live a life of extreme luxury.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be honest I think Hamilton is a douche but there's plenty of that around the racing world.

I don't really mind if drivers have a certain personality, especially if that translates in great driving. That's fine. But he keeps pretending to be a man of the people. A guardian for the fandom. Complaining about press conferences and fan interaction and wanting to do more for the sport.

But then when Liberty comes in and all these fan events come in, Lewis is nowhere to be seen. It makes him come off as fake, looks like he's pretending. And now here's an event, the day before a race weekend and everyone is there to put the sport in the spotlight and Lewis is off on a 2-day(!) vacation that -lets be honest here- he could have easily postponed until next week.

What, you can't unwind and charge up for the next race by showing up and getting cheered by thousands of people at an event? Really?

I don't get the fuss about Hamilton's absence. I'm sure he is really sorry and he'll be thanking all the fans on the podium, after winning his home GP on Sunday. Problem solved.

I don't really like that Ham didn't turn up, but....

If we are going to turn this into a Hamilton thing in general, is there another driver on the grid getting his face shown in all kinds of different celebrity circles all around the world, advertising, going to shows, etc?

Rosberg won the WDC last year, yet Hamilton is still drawing all the publicity for Mercedes.

Is there actually another driver out there who actually lets the public into their life?

Vettel was champ four times in a row. Where is he off track? Where was he when he was champion? What's his wife's name? Where does he live? Who cares enough to talk about it?

Like I said, not turning up here was a dumb move in my opinion, but if we're going to start talking to Hamilton and fan interaction or publicity in general, I'm going to have to ask for the receipts of which other driver does more.

Zaru

Like I said, not turning up here was a dumb move in my opinion, but if we're going to start talking to Hamilton and fan interaction or publicity in general, I'm going to have to ask for the receipts of which other driver does more.

Now I'm actually curious, did Red Bull do as many silly stunts with their drivers when their driver pairing was Vettel/Webber? I completely missed those years.

Danny and Max seem to be doing a fun publicity event every other week. Not necessarily in front of fans, but for the fans. They're clearly enjoying it and it really humanizes those drivers.

Now I'm actually curious, did Red Bull do as many silly stunts with their drivers when their driver pairing was Vettel/Webber? I completely missed those years.

Danny and Max seem to be doing a fun publicity event every other week. Not necessarily in front of fans, but for the fans. They're clearly enjoying it and it really humanizes those drivers.

They definitely didn't do that many funny videos back then. The Youtube channel mostly got little short interviews and clips from show events and such from that era.

How well do Seb and Mark know the RB9?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjjr2q5M1k

Job Swap: Sebastian and Rocky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DraHXPvxB4U

They also got a video of Tom Cruise driving the RB6, because why not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm7KOOLhSI8

f1-japanese-gp-2015-jolyon-palmer-lotus-f1-team.jpg

latest

I can't not see this resemblance whenever I hear about Palmer. Knowing my luck the images haven't worked and I done made a right silly post.

Edit: One of two ain't bad.

Any other resemblances that make you double take?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ok I am very new to F1 but what are the chances of someone the likes of Ham or Vet getting a DNF? They have finished every race so far but it would really make the championship even more interesting and randomized.

Shame that Bottas didn't complete the race in Spain. If he had gotten the lowest position he finished in all year (6th) he would be only 7 points out from Hamilton and 27 from Vettel. That would be some high drama. As is I am rooting for Bottas this weekend to take first and really put the pressure on the top 2.

Jelly of LondonGAF for this big event. I hope they do these more than once a year and in different cities.
Yeah very jealous. Hopefully they actually give more than a day or twos notice so we can actually make it there. I really hope they do something here in the US. They def need more involvement from the US market.

Grug

Ok I am vet new to F1 but what are the chances of someone the likes of Ham or Vet getting a DNF? They have finished every race so far but it would really make the championship even more interesting and randomized.

Some decent grid penalties are going to come Ferrari's way at some point in the season. That will add some randomness.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ok I am vet new to F1 but what are the chances of someone the likes of Ham or Vet getting a DNF? They have finished every race so far but it would really make the championship even more interesting and randomized.

Unless your name is Verstappen or you happen to drive a Honda powered vehicle, your chances of getting a DNF isn't very big. Generally most cars will see the end of the race, so hoping for a DNF is probably not your best bet.

Outside of earlier mentioned penalties, rain is what you're probably looking for, but that isn't that common either. A blown tire here and there, maybe.

Zaru

"Interesting" is only true when there's a large points gap and a random event makes the championship close again.
I'm not sure what "randomized" would add to the enjoyment, unless you go full 2012 where lots of different people won.

dl77

To be honest I think Hamilton is a douche but there's plenty of that around the racing world.

There's something anomalous about Hamilton. I struggle to warm to him and yet he genuinely does seem to enjoy interacting with the fans which is something I always like to see. Plus no-one can deny that he's a fantastic and exciting driver.

I think the problem, for me anyway, is that I struggle to mesh his two sides together. On one side he's always been a champion of the F1 fan but on the other he's someone who constantly posts photos about his private jet, latest party with the A list or his Monster Energy Drink sponsorship etc.

For me it relates back to Roy Keane at Man U going on about the 'prawn sandwich brigade' taking over the terraces when it was players like himself with salaries north of £50k (a lot at the time) that were pricing out the working class supporters. It's hard for the common man to hear a multi-millionaire who flies everywhere on his own jet talk about how much he relates to him.

Ironically I think he'd probably be perceived better by more people if he was less open with his private life. As much of a [insert offensive statement] as Vettel can be, any hostility is based purely on him as a racer, rather than his private life.

However, at the same time I think Hamilton is right in that it would be better if Liberty took social media in F1 more seriously. I think it's just a case of trying to find the balance between showing just enough from behind the curtain to keep people interested in the drivers without building resentment to the lives a lot of them enjoy showing to people.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hamilton spilling the beans that RBR have brought a big update this weekend. Judging by Ricky's smile that's not wrong.

Can't wait for Max to take the lead and then DNF.

Danielsan

Hamilton spilling the beans that RBR have brought a big update this weekend. Judging by Ricky's smile that's not wrong.

Can't wait for Max to take the lead and then DNF.
At this point it's more about how many meters he makes before he DNFs then about if he DNFs.

At this point i'm expecting it every race.

Wonder how that rumored Ferrari engine update will do at silverstone.

It's not rumored, it's been confirmed by Ferrari.

According to James Allen, it will be a third engine for both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen and a third update for Ferrari.

The new engine will address the oil burning that the FIA recently issued clarification over, something that is believed to affect Ferrari more than their rivals.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-will-race-updated-engine-at-silverstone/

I'm not quite sure if it's worth posting at this point, but Alonso is getting an engine-related grid penalty, because of course he is.

McLaren-Honda's 2017 campaign has been characterised by a lack of reliability and performance, though Honda enjoyed minor gains with a Spec 3 power unit, introduced in Austria.

However, an MGU-H issue with Alonso's Spec 3 PU post-Friday at the Red Bull Ring meant Alonso reverted to his Spec 2 engine for the remainder of the weekend.

Alonso will run the Spec 3 power unit during practice on Friday at Silverstone, running a replaced MGU-H, though a new Energy Store, his fifth of the year, means he has a five-place demotion.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/355772/alonso-gets-british-grand-prix-grid-drop/

In other fake news, water is wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom