• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramparter

Banned
I agree the changed circuit is even worse, it's like they only wanted to do a more busy design instead of making a good racing segment.

I really do not like this circuit anymore, but that's based on me driving it in some racing games, though I find the older one more entertaining to watch. I miss F1 2008..
Each version of the circuit from the 1950s has become progressively worse.

50s/60s/70s > 80s > 90s/00s > 10s

So many changes though...

kVStLB7.png

Mokubba

Tempted to go to that F1 thing tomorrow. Could head down after work fairly easily - better to be in the square or Whitehall if they're doing drive-bys?

I'll take my camera just in case

Wondering this too.

Got my camera as well but I need to find out the best spot.

Jezbollah

Each version of the circuit from the 1950s has become progressively worse.

50s/60s/70s > 80s > 90s/00s > 10s

So many changes though...

You can say the same about all the great circuits, Spa, Monza, Monaco etc.

You're not looking at the advent of a circuit, but the things you're racing. Tracks have to evolve to cater for those cars/bikes or not be used.

We also don't have the fatalities that we had in the 50s/60s/70s too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wondering this too.

Got my camera as well but I need to find out the best spot.

seems like the driving will be back and forth along whitehall to trafalgar square. Will probably start off in the square then wander down whitehall as I head back towards Waterloo to go home.

Zeknurn

Hmm, wondering if he could (and probably rather would) set up a Renault engine deal for Sauber, rather than Honda.

Possibly but I don't think a Renault deal would be as lucrative as the fire-sale Honda power units. He would need to secure the missing money elsewhere.

itsgreen

3g1f760e449z.png

Video of someone driving it.

And the route mapped on Google maps

I've driven parts of it and in this layout it's going to be a very fast track with one narrow slow section. It's very much Tilke.

However, its central location, four bridges and two tunnels should make it a unique and interesting track. I can't wait to visit if it happens.

How realistic is the effort? Seems like a pipe dream to me.

The old reality was that hosting a F1 race costs too much money. They generally make a loss and have to be subsidized by the government.

Only oil states were willing to subsidize their venues and western countries basically said that they could spend their money in better ways.

That being said, I hope there will be a true European GP on the calendar, a 'one-off' race on a different track each year. For instance Magny Cours, Jerez, Le Mans, Zandvoort etc etc

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
A crazy reckless one.
Though I'd like a safe showrun of a current car like Heidfeld did in 2007, except serious.
Why?

As an aside, I've never raced anything other than go karts for fun, but driving Nordschleife was one of the single most fun and exhilarating things I have ever done. Can't wait to go back if I can.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why?

As an aside, I've never raced anything other than go karts for fun, but driving Nordschleife was one of the single most fun and exhilarating things I have ever done. Can't wait to go back if I can.

It's not exactly up to safety standards.

Business

Why?

Which car?

I've been there coming back from a trade fair... on a Volkswagen Transporter. I spent a lot off time getting away from the racing line but it was quite nice still. It's surprising how wide the track actually is and the height of the kerbs.

Zaru

It's not exactly up to safety standards.

That's an understatement.
The kerbs are often so high, they might launch an F1 car into the trees, and that's if they don't damage the suspension or underside.
The barriers are by and large guard rails you'd expect from Monaco, so a high speed crash would be devastating.
That's not even getting into the expected quality of racing (overtaking) on a track that narrow and wavy.

Sure, watching F1 cars go around Nordschleife in anger is probably a racing fan's wet dream, but it's just not going to happen.

Honda denies that they've dropped Sauber, they've recently started working with them on a technical level.

Probably some scumbag at McLaren trying to start something so Honda drops them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honda denies that they've dropped Sauber, they've recently started working with them on a technical level.

Probably some scumbag at McLaren trying to start something so Honda drops them.

Meanwhile, other rumors coming out that when McLaren drops the shitty engine so they can actually perform to their level, that's when Honda will end the Sauber deal and leave F1 through the backdoor.

Because of course they will.

McLaren MP4/6 going to be at F1 Live in London today. Hopefully driven.

Vandoorne is driving it:

DEimCs-XoAAIMOs.jpg

19 drivers present, Hamilton a no show, Mercedes furious according to Neo Gaf's favourite UK newspaper.

Meanwhile, other rumors coming out that when McLaren drops the shitty engine so they can actually perform to their level, that's when Honda will end the Sauber deal and leave F1 through the backdoor.

Because of course they will.

No they won't: http://www.as-web.jp/f1/141002?all

"We will not. I've had some talks with the board members and the big boss of Honda group. No one has said a single word like "quit". We have a long contract with McLaren"

Honda is here to dominate, which they will at the tail end of this current PU era and fully into the next..

Zeknurn

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/porsche-f1-einstieg-12248334.html

Porsche decides on future of their racing efforts by the end of the month. WEC, Formula E and F1 all on the table, maybe a combination of two out of those three.

Formula E is a no-brainer because it's good pr and will be the only series relevant to their road cars in a few years.

How realistic is the effort? Seems like a pipe dream to me.

The old reality was that hosting a F1 race costs too much money. They generally make a loss and have to be subsidized by the government.

Only oil states were willing to subsidize their venues and western countries basically said that they could spend their money in better ways.

That being said, I hope there will be a true European GP on the calendar, a 'one-off' race on a different track each year. For instance Magny Cours, Jerez, Le Mans, Zandvoort etc etc

I say it's above moderate chance due to there being serious financial backers (Saxo Bank) and enough political will. But as you said, it all depends on how much they plan to rely on subsidization.

It's exciting none the less, Scandinavia is probably the region that deserves the most to be represented on the F1 calendar.

cromofo

Kubica tested at Paul Ricard today. Will have more info tomorrow (L'Equipe)

19875645_239846569856268_8677047842270027166_n.jpg

Rumors spreading that he was faster than Hulk's time at Enstone simulator(2017) this week as well as beaten the records(Hamilton/Rosberg) on Catalunya simulator.

Great to see that orange helmet yet again. The comeback not looking so far away.

KdotIX

The barriers are by and large guard rails you'd expect from Monaco, so a high speed crash would be devastating.

Reminds me of Jan Mardenborough's incident that was featured in that Le Mans docuseries on Amazon. The car came over a crest and launched into the air, over a barrier/guard rail. Unfortunately some spectators were killed. I think that was in a GT car as well, or maybe an LMP car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom