• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramparter

Banned
Come on now, the VER haters have been waiting since Mexico last year to find something to catch the guy on, let them have their day in the sun :)

I reckon nature boy did a twirl in his living room yesterday.
I'm no Max hater, I usually like him, I don't think he is dangerous, I just don't like that he doesn't know when to back off.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kimi doesn't give a crap. Obviously.

He just wants to leisurely drive around a track and make bank so he, his kids and his future grandchildren never have to work again. You guys should stop bothering him for not having any ambition or pride.

I'm no Max hater, I usually like him, I don't think he is dangerous, I just don't like that he doesn't know when to back off.
And yesterday he learned.

Zaru

WTF has happened to McLaren? Even their car is fugly nowadays. It seems like their place has been taken by Mercedes, even the car colour! IIRC they had a Mercedes engine when I last watched.
Boy, you missed something!

Back when you last watched, McLaren was the main team for Mercedes as an engine supplier. This partnership lasted until 2009, with their last championship title being 2008.
Mercedes, for whatever marketing reason, decided to make their own team and bought the defunct Brawn GP team (a great story in itself, a team that won a championship with no money left to even build another chassis) to enter as a Mercedes works team from 2010 onwards.
They went and got two german drivers (Nico Rosberg, who won last year's championship for Mercedes and then retired, as well as record champion Michael Schumacher, who came back from retirement before he was replaced by Hamilton)

However, McLaren was still using Mercedes engines and was absolutely the stronger team from 2010-2012.
Then 2013 happened. Mercedes became a team that could win races on merit and had great quali pace, while McLaren kind of shuffled back.
This made McLaren realize that they would not beat Mercedes as a "customer" and decided to get Honda back into the game. McLaren-Honda was a dominant combination back in the day with Senna and Prost, and they wanted to get that kind of fame back.

But nobody was prepared for what happened next.
In 2015, McLaren switched to Honda engines. Honda was so committed to this partnership that they started PAYING McLaren 100+ million $ for their efforts.
The catch?
Their engines utterly, completely sucked. No power, broke down constantly.
They thought 2015 would just be a "troubled first year", and hey, 2016 looked better! McLaren went from the back of the field to becoming mid-field again.
They thought Honda would finally catch up in 2017. The trajectory was definitely going upwards.

But then Honda got even WORSE than in 2015. It was completely baffling.
This is why McLaren was at the back of the standings before this race despite a respectable budget.

Long story short, Mercedes made their own team and became dominant for several years, while McLaren kind of fucked itself and wasted several years trying to regain nostalgic glory with Honda.

Mohonky

Just got done watching the race, the Ferrari pace was too much at Hungary coupled with the aero effect on cars following.

Surprised Hamilton let Bottas back through, man that was cutting it close with Verstappen, when I saw the gap he pulled and how Verstappen closed on Bottas I figured no way, then seeing him slow down on the last lap I realised oh wow he's gonna have to do this right on the line.

Props to Hamilton for doing that, I want Hamilton to win the WDC (suck my balls haters) but I did want to see him give the place back as it was the right thing to do, especially with how everyone goes on about him being a selfish prick that would never do such a thing. Hasn't stopped the Hamilton hate brigade finding a way to twist it that he did the wrong thing though lol.

Verstappen on Ricciardo, I can't even. Lost Redbull massive points there.

That McLaren chasis, Alonso said it was good, it's just down on power, given the times he put in, dare say it is right up there, just the donkey in the boot is holding it back.

Palmer just nowhere near Hulk, I hate to hate on drivers but he has to go he just is not quick enough for F1.

Aiii

So not worth it
Red Bull losing points isn't that big a deal.

They are on an island, they'll come in third by default regardless. They are never catching the top two, they are never going to get caught by Force One Racing India

I hope so, as Dan was a fucking joke on the BBC podcast. I was embarrassed for him. Came across like a right cunt.

He posted this on Twitter:

"Yesterday was hard to take. You build up all day for those couple hours of racing and then it's gone like that. Max apologized to me after the race and we spoke one on one away from media or anyone. The situation was handled and taken care of in the right way to move forward. Lights go out again in 4 weeks 👍🏼"

Emotions run high at the end of the weekend, so it's not really surprising that everyone's a lot harsher after having a race ruined.

See Günther Steiner right after the race

“Nico went to the stewards to ask for a harsher penalty for Kevin, which I think is childish, immature… Whoever has done that? I’m almost speechless.

“I respect Nico as a driver and as a human being but what happened there – you don’t ask for a more severe penalty for somebody.”

He added: “He’s a bully and he got away with it for a long time and now maybe it’s time someone stood up to him. He’s a good driver but he doesn’t need to be like this.

“In general, he does his job, he’s doing a good job for himself. If other people went down and obey with what he’s saying, it’s fine, I don’t think we have to. He’s no World Champion.”

vs

DGC5iSXWAAAozbU.jpg

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Kimi doesn't give a crap. Obviously.

He just wants to leisurely drive around a track and make bank so he, his kids and his future grandchildren never have to work again. You guys should stop bothering him for not having any ambition or pride.

Err, no. Why should we be anything but critical of a driver who's happy with no ambition when there's plenty of other drivers who'd kill for that seat?

Aiii

So not worth it
Err, no. Why should we be anything but critical of a driver who's happy with no ambition when there's plenty of other drivers who'd kill for that seat?

Let the man drink his champagne and refuse to speak two words in his own language to the mass of fans gathered at the podium, jesus christ man.

hamchan

I hope so, as Dan was a fucking joke on the BBC podcast. I was embarrassed for him. Came across like a right cunt.

Where is this podcast btw?

His interview that they showed on Sky right after his retirement seemed very reasonable for a man who just got taken out by his teammate, so I'm very interested in seeing this more spicy, cuntish Danny.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Let the man drink his champagne and refuse to speak two words in his own language to the mass of fans gathered at the podium, jesus christ man.

Ah, didn't get your sarcasm the first time round.

Guy's a prick, tbh.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Boy, you missed something!

Back when you last watched, McLaren was the main team for Mercedes as an engine supplier. This partnership lasted until 2009, with their last championship title being 2008.
Mercedes, for whatever marketing reason, decided to make their own team and bought the defunct Brawn GP team (a great story in itself, a team that won a championship with no money left to even build another chassis) to enter as a Mercedes works team from 2010 onwards.
They went and got two german drivers (Nico Rosberg, who won last year's championship for Mercedes and then retired, as well as record champion Michael Schumacher, who came back from retirement before he was replaced by Hamilton)

However, McLaren was still using Mercedes engines and was absolutely the stronger team from 2010-2012.
Then 2013 happened. Mercedes became a team that could win races on merit and had great quali pace, while McLaren kind of shuffled back.
This made McLaren realize that they would not beat Mercedes as a "customer" and decided to get Honda back into the game. McLaren-Honda was a dominant combination back in the day with Senna and Prost, and they wanted to get that kind of fame back.

But nobody was prepared for what happened next.
In 2015, McLaren switched to Honda engines. Honda was so committed to this partnership that they started PAYING McLaren 100+ million $ for their efforts.
The catch?
Their engines utterly, completely sucked. No power, broke down constantly.
They thought 2015 would just be a "troubled first year", and hey, 2016 looked better! McLaren went from the back of the field to becoming mid-field again.
They thought Honda would finally catch up in 2017. The trajectory was definitely going upwards.

But then Honda got even WORSE than in 2015. It was completely baffling.
This is why McLaren was at the back of the standings before this race despite a respectable budget.

Long story short, Mercedes made their own team and became dominant for several years, while McLaren kind of fucked itself and wasted several years trying to regain nostalgic glory with Honda.

This was a good summary, I am all caught up now, thanks. If the engine is that bad it didn't seem to affect Alonso all that much, IIRC he put in the fastest lap. You would think he'd have a more competitive car.

This was a good summary, I am all caught up now, thanks. If the engine is that bad it didn't seem to affect Alonso all that much, IIRC he put in the fastest lap. You would think he'd have a more competitive car.

Hungary suited their car. They've actually got a decent chassis, its just the engine still letting them down. Spa will be tough again for them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Max has matured a lot since his Toro Rosso days. I'd say having Dan as a teammate helped with that.

The middle finger flipping, angry ranting, Dan sure is a good example.

Drivers flip their shit sometimes, it is fine, not everyone can be Bottas.

hamchan

The middle finger flipping, angry ranting, Dan sure is a good example.

Drivers flip their shit sometimes, it is fine, not everyone can be Bottas.

I know it might be ingrained in some of you to go against Danny Ric because he's Verstappen's teammate, but I think it's extremely disingenuous to act like he's not a likeable character, who is very positive, who knows very well how to play the media and PR game, who is a good model for Max to follow if he wants to play that same game, which he seems to be doing well now.

EDIT: Also is it just me, or is giving someone the bird in the heat of the moment not a very big deal at all and not a very big statement on someone's maturity level. Like, get over it. Max and Daniel already have.

hamchan

I like how you completely ignored "Drivers flip their shit sometimes, it is fine"

Because you're indicting Danny Ric for giving the middle finger in one sentence and then saying it's fine for drivers to flip their shit in the other. Be consistent.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because you're indicting Danny Ric for giving the middle finger in one sentence and then saying it's fine for drivers to flip their shit in the other. Be consistent.

I am. Drivers flip their shit sometimes. Verstappen does, but so does happy-go-lucky Ricciardo.

hamchan

I am. Drivers flip their shit sometimes. Verstappen does, but so does happy-go-lucky Ricciardo.

Oh so I guess you weren't being sarcastic when you said Danny Ric is a good example to follow.

Glad to see we all agree. Everyone likes Danny Ric.

DD

Am I alone in thinking that Magnussen's move on Hulk was worse than Verstapen's move on Ricciardo? I mean, it seemed to me that Max went full amateur time, while Kevin's move was calculated. And the worst thing is that this isn't a new thing coming from Kevin.

Am I alone in thinking that Magnussen's move on Hulk was worse than Verstapen's move on Ricciardo? I mean, it seemed to me that Max went full amateur time, while Kevin's move was calculated. And the worst thing is that this isn't a new thing coming from Kevin.

Yeah Max's was just a dumb mistake, Magnussen went well off the racing line to drive Hulk off the track.

hamchan

I like Danny Ric just fine mate, if that is what you want to take away from this, good on ya.

Good on ya too. Glad to establish that it's possible to like and praise both of them simultaneously.

Oh definitely. Max made a mistake that wasn't intentional, while Kevin totally just gave no respect or space to Hulkenberg and made him run wide.

In terms of the trajectories, Magnussen's looked worse. But the situations were a bit different, and the outcomes were very different, so it depends how you assess it.

On another day, both moves might have been commended.

DBT85

As I mentioned a while back, I have just gotten back into watching F1 after an 18 year break. Before the Canadian GP this year, the last race I watched was the 1999 Japanese GP. I had the Sky Q UHD box installed recently so I have access to it again, really been enjoying it. ?

Everyone covered everything else, but I also just got Q installed and boy is 4k50 F1 great to watch! Hopefully the HDR comes sooner rather than alter.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rewatched the race and I really don't get that harsh a penalty on Verstappen. Looks to me like his wheels locked up and as Horner said, he may not have been able to even make the turn had Ric not been there. He received a 10 second penalty and points on his super license, the same penalty that Vettel received for what was an intentional action. Makes no sense.

Super boring race tbh. Prob the most boring of the year for me.

Aside from that, if all cars were equal Max looks like the best driver out there. He had insane pace after the 10 second stop. Alonso was also amazing. Lastly, Hulk has been really good the last 3 or so races. Shame about that bad pit stop.

Again if anyone is in NYC, join the F1 meetup group, it is a lot of fun. The crowd is really good. Huge pops for the Alonso/Sainz battle and even for when Kimi came out of the bit just behind Vettel.

JDB

Banned
Rewatched the race and I really don't get that harsh a penalty on Verstappen. Looks to me like his wheels locked up and as Horner said, he may not have been able to even make the turn had Ric not been there. He received a 10 second penalty and points on his super license, the same penalty that Vettel received for what was an intentional action. Makes no sense.

Super boring race tbh. Prob the most boring of the year for me.

Aside from that, if all cars were equal Max looks like the best driver out there. He had insane pace after the 10 second stop. Alonso was also amazing. Lastly, Hulk has been really good the last 3 or so races. Shame about that bad pit stop.

Again if anyone is in NYC, join the F1 meetup group, it is a lot of fun. The crowd is really good. Huge pops for the Alonso/Sainz battle and even for when Kimi came out of the bit just behind Vettel.
Vettel got a 10 second stop and go penalty, not just a 10 second penalty.

Chuck

Still without luck
Kid fucks up and knocks into a driver, destroys his car, and somehow a ten second penalty is overkill to people here.

Points are given for this shit all the time, Vettel should have been dq'd.

xrnzaaas

Hungary is not that far from Poland, also it's the summer holidays so a lot of people can take a break from work and head over to the track. :)

Kid fucks up and knocks into a driver, destroys his car, and somehow a ten second penalty is overkill to people here.

Same story as always though, Stewards penalising based on what the end result was rather than the actual infraction.

Had Daniel's radiator not gone then there would have been zero penalty.

Was just a simple lockup resulting in understeering wide. Stupid, but a fairly standard first lap incident.

Spades

Really looking forward to seeing what Kubica can do tomorrow. I think everyone is expecting him to just jump into the car and start lapping within a few tenths straight off the bat, but Di Resta showed on the weekend how hard it is to get anywhere near the most out of these cars immediately when you've not driven them before.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really looking forward to seeing what Kubica can do tomorrow. I think everyone is expecting him to just jump into the car and start lapping within a few tenths straight off the bat, but Di Resta showed on the weekend how hard it is to get anywhere near the most out of these cars immediately when you've not driven them before.

And yet here is Leclerc doing a 1:18.463, which is about the same time as RIC did during friday practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom