• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

It's pretty obvious for at least three seasons now that Force India is far superior.
In 2015 Williams even beat Red Bull. In 2016 Bottas finished right between Perez and Hulkenberg, Massa finished even further down. It was also a monster season for Perez with two podiums. This year there is a massive difference in the strength of the two line-ups.

Kid fucks up and knocks into a driver, destroys his car, and somehow a ten second penalty is overkill to people here.

Points are given for this shit all the time, Vettel should have been dq'd.
Nah. Penalty's like this aren't given all the time. Stewarding is all over place between and within a race. You can't defend giving Verstappen a penalty for a mistake that ruins another drivers race but give no punishment to Bottas who ruined Kimi's race twice. Pretty sure there are more examples to be found.

ramparter

Banned
In 2015 Williams even beat Red Bull. In 2016 Bottas finished right between Perez and Hulkenberg, Massa finished even further down. It was also a monster season for Perez with two podiums. This year there is a massive difference in the strength of the two line-ups.
It helps that Force India has better drivers. And I don't mean that as a bad thing for Massa the guy has done very decent driving in his Williams years but he wouldn't even be driving this year if Rosberg hadn't retired.

BigAl1992

Looks like kubica is doing pretty decent.

His fastest is a 1:20.2 at the moment

He's already quicker now than latifi's best time yesterday, and he's at mid-30 laps. He's doing very well for a man out of it for over five years.

Edit: I stand corrected. 1:19.6. He's getting quicker out there.

NHale

More important that his lap times right now is the fact that he's already at 41 laps (3rd most laps today). He's already so close to what Palmer did on Qualify that I don't have any doubt he can at least match his lap times with a full preseason under his belt.

The biggest question to me and it seems most around the paddock is if his arm can manage 300km straight on a F1 car or 100 laps during a day of testing.

After Paul Ricard, Renault clearly saw that he had pace. If he didn't, they wouldn't be "losing" time by giving him a day of testing.

Ark

Renault very clearly believe that Kubica is a real contender for the race seat, otherwise they wouldn't be investing so much time into getting him back into the sport. He passed the FIA extraction test with ease, so we'll see how he does.

I actually can't believe that we're genuinely discussing Robert Kubica's return to F1. I'm excited :D

BigAl1992

What stands out the most to me is that Kubica is able to drive the car with no discomfort and set some quick lap times all at once, especially in a car that judging by the laps times is optimsed for a race setup, not a qualifying run. My main concern going into today was whether or not Kubica would be able to handle the car, as from what a lot of the drivers have been saying, this year's cars are more physically demanding to drive than in previous years, but he doesn't to be all that bothered by it, which I'm really amazed by. He's clearly got the pace he had several years back, and is still going out to set more lap times before the lunch break comes up in half an hour. And this is before we even talk about the massive PR story Renault and to a lesser extent F1 are basking in today with Kubica's Comeback.

thuGG_pl

Kubica's last 12 laps of his last stint:
1m21.208
1m21.436
1m21.356
1m21.344
1m21.575
1m21.180
1m21.548
1m21.053
1m21.654
1m21.521
1m21.382
1m21.383

BigAl1992

Yeah, Palmer on life support rn.

Well it's about to get worse, because is Kubica is on track right, even in these temperatures. The man doesn't know how to quit which is a good thing I suppose. I'm expecting quicker lap times from him if they go for an ultrasoft/low fuel run at some point today.

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno, I reckon they will do a race sim and then maybe if there's time and the engine hasn't died he can do a qualy run. It's probably not the priority right now as they will want to see if he can last a race distance.

BigAl1992

Does anyone know where I can get the live timings for the test session? I see them posting the charts, but I'd like to know who's on track right now.

Isn't rallying tougher on arms than f1? And I don't mean in crashes :/

I think he should be up to it after managing to return to rally, just mobility was in question before so if he has no problems here it's looking good.

BigAl1992

Isn't rallying tougher on arms than f1? And I don't mean in crashes :/

I think he should be up to it after managing to return to rally, just mobility was in question before so if he has no problems here it's looking good.

I think that was the main culprit that kept him from F1 for so long. From what's been reported on here, the main issue Kubica had was that is right arm had to be at an angle to hold the steering wheel in a closed cockpit, which obviously isn't safe. It was only recently that he finally managed to do so without causing extra pressure to be applied to his right arm, hence why Renault paid up for two private test sessions for him in the 2012 spec cars.

Also, it looks like he was on a heavy fuel run there. Warm up for a race length stint perhaps?

Aiii

So not worth it
Kubica's latest pace: 1:21.2, 1:21.4, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:21.5, 1:21.1, 1:21.5, 1:21.0, 1:21.6, 1:21.5, 1:21.3, 1:21.3

Yeah, he good, Palmer's gone.

NHale

Kubica's last 12 laps of his last stint:
1m21.208
1m21.436
1m21.356
1m21.344
1m21.575
1m21.180
1m21.548
1m21.053
1m21.654
1m21.521
1m21.382
1m21.383

SkySports said:
Those times are firmly in the region or faster than the Hungarian GP fastest laps set by Jolyon Palmer (1:21.589) and Nico Hulkenberg (1:21.611)

Sign him up Renault. He's ready!

He sacrificed his hair to keep it.

Even 11 years ago you could see where this was going.

NGvNZ89.png

His current haircut makes him look 10 years older than he is.
time to shave

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dunno why they're running Mazepin. Currently placed P12 in F3 (would've been lower if not for his P2 at Spa), and got a race ban last year for punching Callum Ilott in the face. Should get him together with Dan Ticktum.

Dunno why they're running Mazepin. Currently placed P12 in F3 (would've been lower if not for his P2 at Spa), and got a race ban last year for punching Callum Ilott in the face. Should get him together with Dan Ticktum.

Because his father is the money.

Forbes magazine placed Mazepin on the list of Russia's 100 wealthiest businessmen in 2010, estimating his personal fortune at US$950 mn. His fortune was estimated at US$7.7 bn as of 2017

And his girlfriend is a Russian supermodel, of course.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

He has a billionaire father.

Kubica's really putting in work.

dl77

Sometime next week at Renault F1 headquarters:

"Ah Jolyon, so glad you were able to attend. Can you just stand there for a second please? No, no, left a little...........a little bit more..............liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more.......perfect thanks!"

giphy.gif

BigAl1992

God damn son! Kubica's really throwing down the gauntlet, and he still has an hour and a half of running still. This is really impressive work.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kubica's latest pace: 1:21.2, 1:21.4, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:21.5, 1:21.1, 1:21.5, 1:21.0, 1:21.6, 1:21.5, 1:21.3, 1:21.3

Yeah, he good, Palmer's gone.
So an announcement to be made 1 week before Spa, then?

Renault need the points, Palmer is not going to get them. Just look how embarrassing his performance in Hungary. He was dropped by his teammate at a rate of knots after they told him to let him past.

I'm British and support our drivers but frankly, Kubica is already showing he's probably faster and is only going to improve. He deserve to be back in F1 and Renault would be stupid not to give him the car right now.

NHale

The fact that he already did 130 laps prove there is no concern regarding his arm ability to sustain an entire race.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Lando Norris is going to be Britain's next top driving talent, and he's still 17 years old. Just need to improve his race starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom