• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
A) The conditions are good enough for a formation lap and a normal start
B) It's too wet and they will start behind the safety car, dry up the track and then do a normal standing start.

B will no doubt ensue chaos.

It's important to note an important rule change for this year - all the laps made behind safety car before the standing start DO NOT COUNT [and the 2hr time limit is activated only when the start is made]. After the successful race start, all following laps under safety car are counted.

Par Score

It's important to note an important rule change for this year - all the laps made behind safety car before the standing start DO NOT COUNT [and the 2hr time limit is activated only when the start is made]. After the successful race start, all following laps under safety car are counted.

Whoa, is that right?

Doesn't that have, like, insane ramifications when it comes to fuel? I know they use a lot less behind the safety car than at full wick, but a lot less isn't none.

Mastah

They don't count as is they are not included in race results. So if there are 6 laps behind SC at the "start" tomorrow, race will be only 50 laps long.

xrnzaaas

Pretty interesting qualifying. Giovinazzi ruined laps for quite a few drivers with realistic chances of going to Q2.

Tomorrow it's going to be Mercedes vs. Ferrari and the rest of the pack vs. the rest of the pack. ;)

itsgreen

B) It's too wet and they will start behind the safety car, dry up the track and then do a normal standing start.

Nope!

If A) isn't possible they remain behind the Safety Car after the formation lap until the conditions improve. When they do, they line up on the grid and start normally...

_always_ a standing start.

kmag

Can't wait for Horner and Marko to start blaming Renault again

looks like Newey lost his mojo at yacht designing

I think they might be right though. If you look at the relative simplicity of the Red Bull's aero package, you've got to assume it's to reduce drag and if so you've got to think they're attempting to mitigate a power deficit. All designs are trade offs, having said that Newey is normally good for a lemon every five or six years.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I saw only part of the qualifying but did anyone else lose traction where Hamilton did multiple times (was that turn 9)? If he logged a time almost 2 tenths better than Vet with that small mistake then holy crap

Juicy Bob

Verstappen family rattled by Jos' antics

Max Verstappen's grandfather met with Red Bull's Helmut Marko to ensure that the teenage charger is shielded from the troubles caused by his father, Jos Verstappen.

The former F1 driver, who has a reputation of being somewhat of a hot head, got involved in a brawl at a nightclub in Holland last weekend.

His own father, Frans Verstappen, sought out a meeting with Marko, according to De Telegraaf.

"I took this step in Max's interest," Frans said, "because I fear for his career.

"The only thing I wanted to achieve was that Red Bull intervenes to protect Max from the constant misery caused by his father," he added.

Red Bull's motorsport boss confirmed the meeting the Verstappen patriarch but made clear the fact that the family needs to work out its own issues.

"I made it clear that Red Bull has a contract only with Max, and everything else that happens in the family is not our business," Marko explained.

Pretty interesting qualifying. Giovinazzi ruined laps for quite a few drivers with realistic chances of going to Q2.

Tomorrow it's going to be Mercedes vs. Ferrari and the rest of the pack vs. the rest of the pack. ;)

I'm expecting some hot spinout action on that last turn tomorrow for sure, especially if the track is damp.

The last two years, Charlie Whiting has refused to start the race in anything other than intermediate conditions. Will the full wet tyres actually be used this year?

DBT85

The last two years, Charlie Whiting has refused to start the race in anything other than intermediate conditions. Will the full wet tyres actually be used this year?
Yes. They'll go out on full wets for the period behind the SC. When the sc comes in they'll line up for the start. They'll not be allowed to box for inters until the race is actually underway, by which time they could all dive in at once at the end of lap 1.

Fox Mulder

Caught up with the qualitying, not expecing red bull to pull it out of the hat tomorrow.

They're a disappointment. These are basically their aero rules and they still came out limp. Much of my optimism for this season was to see a bunch of Danny and max racing at the front under new aero rules.

I don't really care about Ferrari, but it's nice one team was able to step up after three years of Mercs winning everything.

Mastah

It is wet, but only this wet:

C88bmxUXsAAdf_B.jpg:large

So inters territory, it's pretty much the same conditions as in 2007 race.

"We're not sure if intermediates or slicks"

So much for the crazy conditions.

Should still be interesting when it comes to pit decisions.

RIP Ferrari

Aiii

So not worth it
Guess we forgot that Vettel is the guy that dominated and won a race in the wet in a damn Toro Rosso of all cars.

Juicy Bob

This will be a 6/10 race with no Safety Car and one significant on-track pass for the lead at some point in the race thanks to DRS.

I don't even know what cloudy vs smoggy is here anymore. It's a marginally clean day there but the pollution level is still 2-3x higher than what a western country flags as acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom