• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
how many here complaining about max are older than him?

think about how pathetic that is

I hope people remember this and jump on you the next time you complain about someone younger than you are.

For reference, how old are you?

Mastah

Brilliant Ted Kravitz: "it shows how this Red Bull is sensitive to dirty air, because Max was complaining about Haas few seconds in front" - yeah, Ricciardo in the same Red Bull following his team mate for some laps few tenths behind somehow wasn't affected, Aussie miracle :/

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton nicely controlled the race, when Vettel pushed, he responded and I think that Ferrari would had to overtake them through the pits.
Looking at both starts it seems that Mercedes made a huge improvement in that area. Too bad that Bottas spun today...

And what in the living hell were guys at Williams doing during this winter break...

Zeknurn

Brilliant Ted Kravitz: "it shows how this Red Bull is sensitive to dirty air, because Max was complaining about Haas few seconds in front" - yeah, Ricciardo in the same Red Bull following his team mate for some laps few tenths behind somehow wasn't affected, Aussie miracle :/

Sky F1 in a nut shell.

magimix

Sky F1 in a nut shell.

Yep. Max was getting flustered under pressure; he is still young, and a good racing career needs more than good driving. Hopefully he'll cool off and see the lesson there. And if not? Well, then the competition may see an opportunity to induce errors from him in future races.

Aiii

So not worth it
Flustered? Then why did he keep RIC behind him? Why didn't he crash out of the race?

He was hopped up on adrenaline, hell, Kimi flipped his lid when he couldn't change his tires. Fernando Alonso flipped his lid because Honda and Vettel flips his lid all the time. It's what happens when driving 300kph while your tires are going and two people are catching up to you quickly. It's fine.

It's times like these where I think broadcasting radio messages was a mistake.

acm2000

All that shows is that if you're immediately behind then you're ok punching through the hole left by the car ahead, but couple of seconds behind is where the air really fucks with you

They should fit a smoke machine* to one of these cars in testing and then show exactly what they do to the air and the cars behind

* Or just get Honda to do it and wait for car to fail

John_B

The championship fight between Hamilton and Vettel will be awesome. This is the stuff fans has been fantasizing about for years. Both drivers are in a peak of their accumulated experience, skill and pace. They arrive at the track boasting a confidence like they own the place. It's two giants the rest has to defeat impossibly to get a hand on the trophy.

In my heart I would be disgusted if Vettel managed to edge this championship by just a handful of points. All top drivers has unluckily lost out on championships they could have won, but not yet has this happened for Vettel. He was fortunate twice. Compare that to how Hamilton and Alonso was "robbed" more than a few times. But then again it's the brutal nature of F1 to have unpredictable outcomes.

Kyougar

The championship fight between Hamilton and Vettel will be awesome. This is the stuff fans has been fantasizing about for years. Both drivers are in a peak of their accumulated experience, skill and pace. They arrive at the track boasting a confidence like they own the place. It's two giants the rest has to defeat impossibly to get a hand on the trophy.

In my heart I would be disgusted if Vettel managed to edge this championship by just a handful of points. All top drivers has unluckily lost out on championships they could have won, but not yet has this happened for Vettel. He was fortunate twice. Compare that to how Hamilton and Alonso was "robbed" more than a few times. But then again it's the brutal nature of F1 to have unpredictable outcomes.

I wouldnt really call it "robbed" and "fortunate"

Vettel nearly got taken out in 2012 in the last race and had to fight to the top with a aerodynamically broken car for the full race length. Alonso didnt got robbed in that race and vettel wasnt fortunate.

And 2010 Alonso didnt got robbed, the "best driver" on the grid couldnt overtake a third grade driver.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just finished the race via DVR. The Ferraris are unbelievable, Vettel completely outclassed Max and everyone else he trailed when he dropped to 6th. Kimi complained early on I wonder if something will come out in the next few days of something wrong. I was hoping Bottas would challenge for 5th but he only closed within 1 second at the end.

Shame about the rain and accidents.

End of the race was a snoozefest but the moment the SC left the track to about the mid 30s laps was great.

This was really fun, how come you guys never said watching F1 was so gud?

Ruruja

Great race, glad actual overtakes seem to be returning instead of DRS gimmes. There's nothing wrong with a car following another for many laps, struggling to get past. It requires the driver in front to not make a single mistake and to show their defending ability (something DRS takes completely out of the equation). It requires the driver behind to calculate how and where to overtake and have the ability and balls to do it. Hopefully this will continue.

Looks like we're definitely going to get a HAM vs VET battle in the Drivers' Championship too, gonna be a hell of a season. I'd like Red Bull to close the gap a little though, I'm sure they will.

They break all the time, though.

Honda have 100% reliability this season, the ERS parts they have changed so far go into the reusable pool. McLaren have robbed Alonso of pts, they need to step it up big time for when Honda introduce the big update, for which Hasegawa says they'll bring to the Bahrain test.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So after the radio news spoiling the result (thanks a lot BBC..would it kill you to just start the article with "and in F1.." to at least give me a fighting tpchance to turn it off for a minute? Nooo, have to start literally with 'and Lewis Hamilton...' fuckers.

Was it a good race and worth watching C4 highlights? Verstappen sounds like he had some action finishing that high up?

John_B

I didn't even notice that Verstappen pulled his signature shit move on Ricciardo near the end. I thought it was simply Ricciardo breaking too late.

Drivers need to learn to goat him by zigzagging. Was the Verstappen rule revised or was it completely removed? Still I don't see him getting away without a penalty when the inevitable crash happens. It's basically him moving straight into the path of a quicker car that is about to overtake him. So far everyone has managed to avoid him barely.

kiyomi

So after the radio news spoiling the result (thanks a lot BBC..would it kill you to just start the article with "and in F1.." to at least give me a fighting tpchance to turn it off for a minute? Nooo, have to start literally with 'and Lewis Hamilton...' fuckers.

Was it a good race and worth watching C4 highlights? Verstappen sounds like he had some action finishing that high up?

It was a fun race. Got a bit stale towards the end but I imagine it'd make a good highlights package.

Zaru

Definitely a good race for highlights. Crash, safety car, driver battles, some great overtakes. You should find a video of Verstappen's first few corners.

Why do I feel like even if Vettel wins the title with more than just a handful of points you would just write if off as Vettel having the best car or similiar nonsense?

John_B

Why do I feel like even if Vettel wins the title with more than just a handful of points you would just write if off as Vettel having the best car or similiar nonsense?
It's purely from a perspective of legacy. Vettel has not been properly unlucky with how his championship fights has unfolded. I feel that Hamilton and Alonso both have drawn a few short straws. I consider all three of those drivers as legends, I just hold Hamilton and Alonso in a slightly higher regard. So I guess I just want the final tallies to somewhat reflect that.

Aiii

So not worth it
I didn't even notice that Verstappen pulled his signature shit move on Ricciardo near the end. I thought it was simply Ricciardo breaking too late.

Drivers need to learn to goat him by zigzagging. Was the Verstappen rule revised or was it completely removed? Still I don't see him getting away without a penalty when the inevitable crash happens. It's basically him moving straight into the path of a quicker car that is about to overtake him. So far everyone has managed to avoid him barely.
It is almost as if defending your position is a good way to not get overtaken. Crazy.

It's purely from a perspective of legacy. Vettel has not been properly unlucky with how his championship fights has unfolded. I feel that Hamilton and Alonso both have drawn a few short straws. I consider all three of those drivers as legends, I just hold Hamilton and Alonso in a slightly higher regard. So I guess I just want the final tallies to somewhat reflect that.

You are talking about a driver who suffered the most DNFs in years of his title wins or in 2009 when he had a chance of beating Button.

Stop with that nonsense, please.

Ricci himself felt he had hit the brakes to late after the race, maybe you could consult him ?

Bah. these races on the other side of the world.
Gonna shotgun quals and the race replay while I clean up today.

Sounds like Hamilton and Vettel will be duking it out on the long term.

Zaru

Red Bull might be a disappointment compared to their pre-season hopes, but their new role as kingmakers for the Hamilton-Vettel fight is quite entertaining.

John_B

Williams is sixth behind both Toro Rosso and Force India. I will not be surprised if Hass overtakes them at the next race.

They will hurt with that driver lineup all season.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
If anyone still has an appetite for open wheel racing today, the IndyCar Grand Prix of Long Beach is on NBCSN at 4pm ET.

chadskin

Ferrari wants talks with Raikkonen to discuss his form

tumblr_me27b9nRW51rka6l9o1_250.gif

VER didn't zigzag. Besides RIC could have never passed VER there, according to his own words the track was still wet on the inside.

Zaru

Ferrari should replace Kimi with Grosjean.

I honestly have no idea who I'd want for that second Ferrari seat.

Putting aside the top 3 teams and Alonso... there are a few experienced mid-field drivers who never really set the world on fire but nabbed a couple podiums on good days, like Perez or Grosjean, but are they gonna do better than Kimi? I doubt it.
The rest are not good enough, too new or locked in elsewhere.

John_B

VER didn't zigzag. Besides RIC could have never passed VER there, according to his own words the track was still wet on the inside.

Verstappen doesn't zigzag he just quickly goes to block the line when the driver behind him makes a move.

If you want to overtake Verstappen you have to make him move first, because he is not allowed to move back across then.

For anyone still complaining about Sky's coverage, try watching NBCSN's. Let me sum it up, "Maranello Maranello, boy oh boy, wewewewewew! Now to commercial"

Business

I'll have the told-you-sos ready for when Verstappen takes somebody out with that move

Last year he wasn't penalised for it and is not gonna happen this season either.

Looking at the replay, RIC starts braking (see the DRS) comits to the inside and as VER sees that he then moves his car in the middle of the way. RIC has to change direction again to avoid contact, goes too deep and locks. It's intimidation that has worked very well so far for VER.

Personally I think it's bullshit but if Charlie says it's ok, the rest only have themselves to blame and it's up to them to play as hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom