• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

For anyone still complaining about Sky's coverage, try watching NBCSN's. Let me sum it up, "Maranello Maranello, boy oh boy, wewewewewew! Now to commercial"

As someone who has to cover a lot of US sport (NBA, NFL, NHL), isn't all your stuff like that? lol

An obsessive need to entertain fans during the many many times when they players are doing nothing, kiss cams, dance cams, weirdos doing weird shit, 56246 adverts. It's mad. I hate covering US sport lol.

Fox Mulder

For anyone still complaining about Sky's coverage, try watching NBCSN's. Let me sum it up, "Maranello Maranello, boy oh boy, wewewewewew! Now to commercial"

All US sports coverage is riddled with ads. Nfl and NCAA football even stops play to accommodate them.

But NBCSN is low budget and awful. They send like one guy to the race and the prerace features are nothing like sky f1 or even NASCAR.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So nothing on vettel being misaligned at start by half a width?

I think that other driver would get a penalty for sure. And his positioning made his start worse, because he ended outside the cleaned tarmac with both left wheels

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think that other driver would get a penalty for sure. And his positioning made his start worse, because he ended outside the cleaned tarmac with both left wheels
I'm just surprised they did not wave them through for another formation lap like the did in Australia.

Mohonky

When Alonso finishes up (likely at the end of this year imo) I think he should continue racing, but in a clown themed F1 car with a running commentary on the race over the radio. The guy has been hilarious over the radio since not giving two shits about being 'professional' in his dismay at the car.

Race was mostly really good but died off a bit in the end. Ferrari and Merc definitely going to be trading blows for awhile yet. The only real question I have right now is whether Ferrari will keep up in development, they've come out strong a few times in the past few years and slowly worked their way backward, but right now they certainly seem to have it.

Stroll continues to show how inexperienced he is, racing incident but coming over the way he did was a pretty amateurish looking mistake.

Lunar FC

As someone who has to cover a lot of US sport (NBA, NFL, NHL), isn't all your stuff like that? lol

An obsessive need to entertain fans during the many many times when they players are doing nothing, kiss cams, dance cams, weirdos doing weird shit, 56246 adverts. It's mad. I hate covering US sport lol.

That's more of type of entertainment you would see when attending a live event. While our television coverage is usually filled with ads, it's mostly pretty solid and informative all around. But nbc's coverage of F1 is attrocious, which I guess makes sense when they're not even at the fucking race. NBC covers the premier league so well too, must just have a small budget for F1.

Honda have 100% reliability this season, the ERS parts they have changed so far go into the reusable pool. McLaren have robbed Alonso of pts, they need to step it up big time for when Honda introduce the big update, for which Hasegawa says they'll bring to the Bahrain test.
kvKXd.gif

NHale

Honestly there's no point me having him blocked when you all quote the madness over and over.

Afraid of the bunch of "I told you so" posts when McLaren wins every race after Monaco and GT Sport releases with a full track creator that allows to recreate every track on the planet in less than 3 clicks?

Razgreez

I'll have the told-you-sos ready for when Verstappen takes somebody out with that move

Last year he wasn't penalised for it and is not gonna happen this season either.

Looking at the replay, RIC starts braking (see the DRS) comits to the inside and as VER sees that he then moves his car in the middle of the way. RIC has to change direction again to avoid contact, goes too deep and locks. It's intimidation that has worked very well so far for VER.

Personally I think it's bullshit but if Charlie says it's ok, the rest only have themselves to blame and it's up to them to play as hard.

Suppose it's somewhat relevant to mention that quite a number of years ago in South African production car racing one or two drivers began pulling verstappen like maneuvers i.e. making one-to-multiple changes of direction in the breaking zone with moderate success. I do not recall any major accidents/incidents however there were a few unfortunate events and a loud outcry from the majority of drivers which prompted regulators to officially add the gentlemanly "no changing direction in the breaking zone" rule to the rule book.

They even went as far as painting dashed lines in the middle of the tracks to indicate where the "no direction changing breaking-zone area" started and ended. Myself, I found it laughable/childish that experienced/professional racing drivers would need to be treated in such a manner but the lines were only there for a single season st least. I suppose the SA production car racing quickly realised how embarrassing having them there is/was.

Point is that until now I've never seen the issue around changing direction in the breaking zone while defending since everybody just accepts it's something one shouldn't do. Then again I've not followed verstappen's racing career so perhaps he's always done it and much has clearly changed in the last few years.

Afraid of the bunch of "I told you so" posts when McLaren wins every race after Monaco and GT Sport releases with a full track creator that allows to recreate every track on the planet in less than 3 clicks?
Please don't remind me that he's doing that nonsense in the GT threads. I still remember the GT6 pre-release and official threads.

DBT85

That's it exactly lol.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just like with the pit entry overtake last year, Vettel has read the rules.
The real question is, why did nobody else ever do this as far as I can remember?

Because the stewards usually wave them off to another formation lap and proper grid alignment. I'm surprised they let them go this way. It's one thing to slightly angle withing the lines, another to be off by feet.

Xando

Because the stewards usually wave them off to another formation lap and proper grid alignment. I'm surprised they let them go this way. It's one thing to slightly angle withing the lines, another to be off by feet.

Apparently (according to sky germany) it's ok as long has more than 50% of the car is in the starting box from what the rule book says.

Please don't remind me that he's doing that nonsense in the GT threads. I still remember the GT6 pre-release and official threads.

And Honda will deliver a race winning PU this season like Polyphony delivered a GPS track maker to GT6 - years later than expected... but I won't gloat when the McChandon starts flying 😎

Megasoum

Banned

You should see RDS' coverage (French Canadian sport station up here in Montreal)....

They have a solid boner for Stroll... Shit, they even had a 30min special show before the race started to talk about him more.

It gets so fucking annoying.

I was laughing so much when I saw he was out on the first lap lmao.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
When Alonso finishes up (likely at the end of this year imo) I think he should continue racing, but in a clown themed F1 car with a running commentary on the race over the radio. The guy has been hilarious over the radio since not giving two shits about being 'professional' in his dismay at the car.

Race was mostly really good but died off a bit in the end. Ferrari and Merc definitely going to be trading blows for awhile yet. The only real question I have right now is whether Ferrari will keep up in development, they've come out strong a few times in the past few years and slowly worked their way backward, but right now they certainly seem to have it.

Stroll continues to show how inexperienced he is, racing incident but coming over the way he did was a pretty amateurish looking mistake.

You would think he would have learned something after his little incident with Giovinazzi at Monza.

That's more of type of entertainment you would see when attending a live event. While our television coverage is usually filled with ads, it's mostly pretty solid and informative all around. But nbc's coverage of F1 is attrocious, which I guess makes sense when they're not even at the fucking race. NBC covers the premier league so well too, must just have a small budget for F1.

This has to be the case. I do enjoy their coverage of the EPL too. That deal is worth $1 BILLION. They probably blew their budget there and F1 is picking up the scraps. This is why I stream coverage from across the pond even though I pay for NBCSN. I do somewhat enjoy Will Buxton but his paddock walk before the race is cringeworthy most of the time

Zaru

Nothing but I am willing to guess that if he ended up benefitting from doing so he would have received a penalty.

How would he benefit from that though? It's not like he gained track position and he can't go so far off the line that he'd instantly block someone.

How would he benefit from that though? It's not like he gained track position and he can't go so far off the line that he'd instantly block someone.

IDK, when I was watching the start the first thing to cross my mind was "is he planning to bomb it to the left side?" but he never did.

FrankCanada97

Two Hondas just failed in the span of 2 laps. Have to laugh at the simultaneous issues Honda are having in F1, Super GT and IndyCar.

FrankCanada97

I'm paraphrasing a bit and I know that's not what either the interviewer or Rossi meant but this exchange gave me a chuckle:

Alexader Rossi returns to the pits after exiting his stricken Honda.
Interviewer: "Alexander, what did you feel as your car let go?"
Rossi with an unreadable expression: "Nothing."

You are talking about a driver who suffered the most DNFs in years of his title wins or in 2009 when he had a chance of beating Button.

Stop with that nonsense, please.

Also the driver who drove from the back of the field to win a world championship with a dirty great hole in the side of his car.

Zaru

only for Ferrari and Honda Sauber to become the two dominant teams.

It sounds like a joke, but it's easy to forget that Sauber with engine manufacturer backing once was a top 3 team and had a real title challenger for a while in 2008.

Though to be fair, they're still fighting with McLaren, just like in 2008!

Elros

Is there something wrong with GPPredictor ? After Melbourne, I had 80 points, and today i'm at 184 ... but I completely forgot to make predictions for China !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom