• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB

Banned
Is there something wrong with GPPredictor ? After Melbourne, I had 80 points, and today i'm at 184 ... but I completely forgot to make predictions for China !
I think it just automatically fills it in with your predictions of the previous race. Not sure, though.

Great race. Hamilton dodged a bullet on that one. That second SC saved his ass. Vettel had no chance to use the slicks to gain time. If Hamilton was under pressure earlier, his tires would have gone off sooner and we could have had a race for the win. Makes me happy that we had another race that gives hope to a continued season of Ferrari v. Merc. This needs to happen for the sport.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope overtaking stays as it was in China, pure skill. DRS is finally just a tool to make sure cars can get close enough for an attempt, but no longer the reason people pass. Vettel and Max's passes yesterday were so much better than any of that DRS shit we had so far.

I said they should be fixing the dirty air issues before, but maybe they should just keep it as is, seems to be working out fine. And even though I fully understand why Max was getting frustrated about being backed into RIC by a car that was almost a lap down, it did make for the end of the race to have more excitement, so perhaps even that is a good thing (even if it's going to continue to annoy the fuck out of faster drivers).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I would really like to see Lewis going to Ferrari, how would big boss Sergio deal with his #swag , music and fashion stuff

Kyougar

wasnt Lewis going to Mercedes because it was the most "tolerant" big team that didnt care about his "unusual behaviour" and outgoing character? (or plainly, they didnt care about his swag)

And he has powerfull patrons in Niki and Toto.

I dont think Lewis would survive more than a year in the oldschool, white collar, mustach twirling, kitten sacrificing Ferrari halls. ;)

I could see him retiring in the Mercedes. Or going to another team with a lucrative after-carreer job. (or a consulting gig while he creates a bunch of love songs)

NOKYARD

Here in Canada, TSN went to commercials in a few decisive moments. It annoys the hell out of me!
At least TSN uses picture-in-picture while in commercials. Still, they always seem to go to commercial right at the first pit stop for some reason. It's as if they see pit stops like NASCAR yellow flags, not realizing the pit stop cycle might be the only excitement in some races. It's also funny that the last commercial is a 15 second spot advertising the race you are already watching.

I feel like a fucking goob asking but anyone have some suggestions for these type of sunglasses?
I had a pair like that. They have ZERO peripheral vision and are terrible for driving.

NOKYARD

Just watched the pit walk because i skipped over it race day on the DVR.

Someone needs to gif Sky's Martin Brundle avoiding C4's David Coulthard as if he was on fire.

DBT85

I would really like to see Lewis going to Ferrari, how would big boss Sergio deal with his #swag , music and fashion stuff

He's said before he's never really had the "I must drive for Ferrari" thing that a lot of drivers have. I'd love to see him, Nando/Vettel in the same machinery though, it might just happen at the end of the year. Best hope for that is that Bottas bombs. Nando would probably drive for free to be in that car.

wasnt Lewis going to Mercedes because it was the most "tolerant" big team that didnt care about his "unusual behaviour" and outgoing character? (or plainly, they didnt care about his swag)

And he has powerfull patrons in Niki and Toto.

I dont think Lewis would survive more than a year in the oldschool, white collar, mustach twirling, kitten sacrificing Ferrari halls. ;)

I could see him retiring in the Mercedes. Or going to another team with a lucrative after-carreer job. (or a consulting gig while he creates a bunch of love songs)

He's been around Merc for years as they were also powering the McLaren when he was there and before that I think he had ties too. Mercedes wanted a fast driver and Lewis wanted to be himself which he blatantly could never do in the very old school stuffy F1 style that McLaren had under Ron Dennis.

Lewis gets a lot of hate for his extra curricular activities and it seems to draw a lot of animosity from people for some reason, most likely because its not fitting in with that old school stuffy attitude that pervades the sport.

Given the consistent booing along with monkey chants and such that Lewis gets at monza for literally no reason.

I'm going to go with a solid no.

You suggesting that there might be some racist f1 fans? Never!

I think McLaren and Honda have demoralized Alonso enough that he would go back to Ferrari for a major pay cut if they want him back. I would love to see him back on the team. Kimi is great, but his hunger is long gone. Alonso is a starving hyena at this point.

Lewis doesn't make the rules and Merc wouldn't have given Bottas 1 year deal if they knew he could do it for 3.

If he does well this year then they'll probably keep him as it'll be calm. If he tanks then they'll go elsewhere and Nando will be available and probably for a reasonable wage given how much he'll just want a car with more than one cylinder in it.
One cylinder? That Honda engine is powered by a team of these:
a68cd1ec858f84e2d22793269a33c58bfd191c5f_hq.jpg

Xando

Lewis doesn't make the rules and Merc wouldn't have given Bottas 1 year deal if they knew he could do it for 3.

If he does well this year then they'll probably keep him as it'll be calm. If he tanks then they'll go elsewhere and Nando will be available and probably for a reasonable wage given how much he'll just want a car with more than one cylinder in it.

I still believe they'll try to get Vettel if he doesn't win WDC this year. If Vettel isn't available they probably keep Bottas.

I don't see Alonso going back to Ferrari. While it's an improvement over McLaren, they can't offer him more than what he had when he left the team, which is a podium fight, but no realistic chance at the title.

Zaru

I don't see Alonso going back to Ferrari. While it's an improvement over McLaren, they can't offer him more than what he had when he left the team, which is a podium fight, but no realistic chance at the title.

To be fair, Ferrari this year is the first team in the V6 Turbo Hybrid era that is anywhere near Mercedes on a so far consistent basis. Not Red Bull. Certainly not McLaren.

DBT85

I still believe they'll try to get Vettel if he doesn't win WDC this year. If Vettel isn't available they probably keep Bottas.

If Ferrari are close this year I'd have to think he'd stay there. His known veto on 2nd drivers suggests he doesn't want to have a team mate he thinks is as good as or nearly as good as him. Can't see him being team mates with Hamilton or Nando.

Ty4on

I quite like how even the field has gotten. I think back and remember Russia 2014 where Rosberg got second despite having to pit on lap 1. Ferrari aren't better, but they don't need a miracle anymore to win.

To be fair, Ferrari this year is the first team in the V6 Turbo Hybrid era that is anywhere near Mercedes on a so far consistent basis. Not Red Bull. Certainly not McLaren.

It is waaaaaay to early to say that Ferrari is near Mercedes on a consistent basis. We're not even 3 races into the season and the development race has just begun. Get back to me with that narrative after Canada and Spa.

KdotIX

we also need to wait to see what RBR brings to the development race too. Best scenario is that Ferrari keeps up the competitive pace and continues to be in contention and red bull bolts on some serious upgrades to catch up to both Ferrari and Mercedes

John_B

2017 Chinese Grand Prix report by Mark Hughes
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2017-chinese-grand-prix-report

Had Giovinazzi not crashed almost as soon as the VSC was rescinded, then Vettel would almost certainly have had track position over the Mercedes after Hamilton had stopped for his slicks. Mercedes reckons the window for slicks wasn’t yet there on the third lap and Hamilton would’ve continued to have been quicker than a slick-shod Vettel for a couple of laps. Maybe so, maybe not – the evidence isn’t there one way or the other. But would Hamilton have been enough faster to have made up the 8sec Vettel would’ve found from stopping under the VSC?

There’s every reason to believe Vettel would have established track position and used it to take a second consecutive, albeit closely fought, victory.

The W08, while viscerally impressive in its acceleration and grip – particularly through the tricky Turn 9-10 combination, which Hamilton was taking as a single, committed sweep – was bouncing on its damping in places the Ferrari was rock steady, skipping its rear out under power where Vettel was able to pour the gas on without a thought of steering correction. Hamilton’s lap was a spectacle, Vettel’s a vision. Around here the silver Merc was a potent but demanding piece of kit, requiring visibly more driver input than the smaller and more supple Ferrari. “I’d say we’re probably more stable through high-speed sections,” considered Hamilton, “but yes, they’re definitely more agile.”

The Ferrari is physically smaller, 160mm shorter in wheelbase, a major part of the reason why its weight distribution can be varied with ballast while the Merc’s cannot, the W08 currently running at 6kg above the minimum. Around this place, with its long, tyre-scrubbing turns 1-2 and 12-13 placing the car’s limitation upon the front-left tyre, being able to vary weight distribution was a valuable trait. The Mercedes was compensating with sheer grunt, appearing still to carry an engine mode advantage in Q3. The end result was Hamilton shading Vettel by 0.187sec and an identical first two rows to Melbourne, Valtteri Bottas and Kimi Räikkönen on row two respectively shaded by their team-mates.

Grug

Interesting about the Mercedes getting by on grunt. The timings certainly did look like Hamilton's car was doing its best work in sector 3 on that loooong back straight. Might favour him again on other tracks with long straight sections like Canada and USA. Will be interesting to see if Vettel is advantaged on more technical circuits like Monaco and Singapore.

John_B

Ferrari has the better car at moment but for how long? Mercedes for three years now has been effective in eliminating all their weaknesses (the clutch issue of last year had to be mitigated mostly by the drivers though). They even have the guy that build the current Ferrari.

If they want to be champions they can't afford to throw wins and positions away. A big issue is also with Raikkonen being either totally on it or being no where at all. The team would be more effective with a second driver like Grosjean, Perez or Hulk.

Lach

I wonder how soon the the engine reliability will start to play into it. With 4 engines a season I'm sure they have to look more to it.

We saw Hamilton going into a lower engine mode in Melbourne when it was clear that Vettel would win (Plan B), and the same probably goes for Vettel in China.

I wonder if Mercedes maybe having to push the engine harder in certain cases will come to bite them, or if Mercedes has a reliability advantage.

spuckthew

It is waaaaaay too early to say that Ferrari is near Mercedes on a consistent basis. We're not even 3 races into the season and the development race has just begun. Get back to me with that narrative after Canada and Spa.

Yeah lol. As exciting as a season-long battle between the two could be, I'm not holding my breath until we're a few more races in. I just think back to 2015 when Vettel won in Malaysia (the second race at the time), and what ensued was 7 straight wins for Mercedes and a mix of podiums and mediocre finishes for Ferrari. The same could happen this year - for either team. For all we know, the Ferrari turns out to be a beast and gets several straight wins...or it could be a another Mercedes roflstomp.

Lach

Was amusing to hear the commentators during the formation lap praise the decision making of Sainz and his team for going with the slicks. Next minute he's spinning on the spot after lights out.

It was clear that he would lose time in the opening laps. The question would be would he lose 20-30 seconds in the first few laps until the other cars would pit for slicks.

Grug

It was clear that he would lose time in the opening laps. The question would be would he lose 20-30 seconds in the first few laps until the other cars would pit for slicks.

Yeah I get that, but there is a difference between conceding time in the short run to make gains later and spinning your wheels on the grid and then going off-road on turn 1.

The amusement was more in how much the commentators talked it up for most of the formation lap followed by almost instant payoff.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wehrlein is back for Bahrain. Giovinazzi kinda put a dent into his prospects, and doesn't get another chance to redeem himself.

Not sure if the Shield would've helped Justin Wilson or Henry Surtees.

we also need to wait to see what RBR brings to the development race too. Best scenario is that Ferrari keeps up the competitive pace and continues to be in contention and red bull bolts on some serious upgrades to catch up to both Ferrari and Mercedes
Yeah. Ignore my avatar for a moment and remember that RBR always has shitty starts to the season. Truthfully, I'm not expecting a title fight from RBR but I do expect them to be consistently fighting for podium positions especially after Canada

Mohonky

I see him getting out of it entirely and going the fashion / music route. He pretty much already that a lot and he knows all the right people and hangs in the right crowds to make it in that sort of thing. Driving in F1 will always be his thing, but once the driving is done, I dont expect to see him doing anything in the background in any form in F1.

Just doesnt seem like something that interests him that much and he has other interests to keep him occupied, I would say a lot of ex F1 drivers end up sticking around somehow; commentary, technical, consultation etc solely because they know of nothing else and just want to be involved in the sport somehow.

Wehrlein is back for Bahrain. Giovinazzi kinda put a dent into his prospects, and doesn't get another chance to redeem himself.

Not sure if the Shield would've helped Justin Wilson or Henry Surtees.

It's a shame for GIO, but he ruined his chances for this year. I wonder if we'll see him next year in a different seat.

Man, imagine the title fight coming down to a couple of points this year, Vettel losing Nando style and you could clearly pick China as one of the races, where Vettel needlessly lost those couple of points and the championship with that. All that, because Ferrari's junior driver made the same mistake twice in a weekend.

It's not realistic, but it's a fun thought.

I haven't really watched any race last season, is the Virtual Safety Car a new thing?
Didn't like it tbh

The VSC has been part of the sport since last season. It's a good way to slow the grid down for a short time without having to do the whole SC procedure.

The VSC has been part of the sport since last season. It's a good way to slow the grid down for a short time without having to do the whole SC procedure.

Ah, I see, I thought it took the same amount of time from the race as the standard SC.
If it benefits the race that's fine I guess. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ah, I see, I thought it took the same amount of time from the race as the standard SC.
If it benefits the race that's fine I guess. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

A VSC is safer if you want the cars to adhere to a maximum speed wherever they are. A regular SC might have cars trying to catch up to the queue going faster than they want, even if double yellows are waived.

Restarting after a VSC is also safer than a SC since the cars aren't bunched up.

Although sometimes a race is more interesting if leads get evaporated by a VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom