• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

It's fun to see Alonso in the Indy 500. I love when NASCAR guys crossover to try the double. Wish more f1 guys would come over too and show off skills in other series when they're not stuck in midfield cars so far behind the top teams. Nico Hulkenberg winning le mans was neat as well.

Monaco is a boring shit race, and will be god awful with these new cars.

Zaru

Monaco will probably be full of crashes because years of driving memory might put you in the wall now with those extra centimeters.

Danielsan

I'll be curious to see where Red Bull stand on Monaco, as the engine power shouldn't be a defining factor. Here's hoping the team doesn't screw Daniel over again, and that max can finally keep his car out of the barriers in Monaco this year.

I wonder how many laps of Monaco Lance Stroll will complete.
Williams should bring plenty of spare parts for that one.

I'll be curious to see where Red Bull stand on Monaco, as the engine power shouldn't be a defining factor. Here's hoping the team doesn't screw Daniel over again, and that max can finally keep his car out of the barriers in Monaco this year.
Max's weekend long make out session with the Monaco barriers were hilarious.
Williams should bring plenty of spare parts for that one.
He'll probably put that shit in the swimming pool...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I wonder how many laps of Monaco Lance Stroll will complete.
Stroll completed all six races he competed in at Pau (a Monaco equivalent) in F3. He also finished his sole outing at Macau (Monaco on steroids), which is an achievement in itself. Narrow armco lined street circuits aren't going to be new to him. I would be disappointed if he crashes at Monaco.

Aiii

So not worth it
Stroll completed all six races he competed in at Pau (a Monaco equivalent) in F3. He also finished his sole outing at Macau (Monaco on steroids), which is an achievement in itself. Narrow armco lined street circuits aren't going to be new to him. I would be disappointed if he crashes at Monaco.

Prepare to be disappointed.

John_B

FYI the official F1 YouTube channel has become absolutely worth subscribing to. Great stuff in high quality (1080p@50fps).

FrankCanada97

So Alonso will race Indy 500 on a McLaren powered by a Honda engine ? So this is fighitng for win scenario that Wax is mentioning ?

JK

I read here :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/4/alonso-to-miss-monaco--race-in-indy-500.html
He is racing in a McLaren liveried Andretti Autosport car most likely. This is the team that delivered Alexander Rossi's Indy 500 win as a rookie last year. Although this past weekend, at Long Beach all 4 Andretti Autosport cars retired with mechanical difficulties (they were in Hondas).

So he can drive? But he can't...drive?

FrankCanada97

If anyone is interested seeing in what kind of car Alonso will be driving, IndyCar is livestreaming testing at Texas Speedway. They are running the cars in a super-speedway setup similar to what will be run at Indianapolis.

Here is the livestream + timing and scoring:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Just note that they measure laps in average speed instead of time on ovals.

Spades

If anyone is interested seeing in what kind of car Alonso will be driving, IndyCar is livestreaming testing at Texas Speedway. They are running the cars in a super-speedway setup similar to what will be run at Indianapolis.

Here is the livestream + timing and scoring:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Just note that they measure laps in average speed instead of time on ovals.

Man, I remember watching this live for JV's comeback a few years ago.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Stoll, if you swapped his position with Perez in that incident I'm sure all of you would still blame him for being too aggressive. Stroll should have seen him, but Perez was being ambitious hence the lack of a penalty.

Edit

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FYI the official F1 YouTube channel has become absolutely worth subscribing to. Great stuff in high quality (1080p@50fps).

Yeah I subscribed yesterday, it is pretty awesome. I am happy to become interested in the sport now. I have been going to the F1 app a lot and it keeps updating with stories including these videos. I have also been watching a lot of classic races, well highlights at least. My team so far is Merc since my friends and I are big fans of MBs in general, but two races in, my fave driver is Max. Dude is a beast.

My bud who is going with me to the live race is dragging me to an F1 meetup for the Bahrain GP this Sunday morning. Can't wait.

Exciting sport you guys have here.

FrankCanada97

In all of the excitement of today's news, I had forgotten that the rebranded F2 season starts at Bahrain this weekend. This is going to be the final season with the 2011-spec Dallara Chassis and Mecachrome NA V8 engine. Next year, they are getting a new chassis along with a V6 Turbo engine.

Here are this season's entries, I've italicized the rookies:
Prema Racing
#1 Charles Leclerc (MON)
#2 Antonio Fuoco (ITA)

Racing Engineering
#3 Louis Delatraz (SUI)
#4 Gustav Malja (SWE)

Russian Time
#5 Luca Ghiotto (ITA)
#6 Artem Markelov (RUS)

ART Grand Prix
#7 Nobuharu Matsushita (JPN)
#8 Alexander Albon (THA)

DAMS
#9 Oliver Rowland (GBR)
#10 Nicholas Latifi (CAN)

Campos Racing
#11 Ralph Borschung (SUI)
#12 Stefano Coletti (MON)

MP Motorsport
#14 Sergio Sette Camara (BRA)
#15 Jordan King (GBR)

Trident Racing
#16 Nabil Jeffri (MAS)
#17 Sergio Canamasas (ESP)

Rapax Team
#18 Nick de Vries (NED)
#19 Johnny Cecotto Jr. (VEN)

Arden International
#20 Norman Nato (FRA)
#21 Sean Gelael (INA)

Of the drivers listed, Leclerc and Fuoco are in the Ferrari Driver Academy, Matsushita and de Vries are Honda/McLaren juniors, and Rowland and Latifi are Renault juniors.

My quick and not very in-depth analysis of the field says that Charles Leclerc will probably run away with the driver's championship and Prema will win the team's championship.
The only drivers who could possibly interrupt the #Premawinslol train are Oliver Rowland (depending on if DAMS got their shit together this year), the ART drivers Matsushita (if he understands where the safety car line is) and Albon and maybe Coletti will steal one at home in Monaco.
Don't expect anything from KFC Arden, the Trident Racing team consisting of two ridebuyers, or the "I'm retiring from racing for good!" returning 9th season driver Johnny Cecotto Jr.

Dilly

Banned
Regarding Stoll, if you swapped his position with Perez in that incident I'm sure all of you would still blame him for being too aggressive. Stroll should have seen him, but Perez was being ambitious hence the lack of a penalty.

Edit

Perez had track position in both corners.

Aiii

So not worth it
In the first lap you can't pretend the other cars aren't there, cut across the track and hit the apex as if you were running on an empty track, simple as that. The other drivers expect you to leave room, and you expect other cars to be all around you in corners when everyone is still driving under 1s from each other.

Penalties are gonna be rare this year, since they have explicitly said they aren't going to be as tough about it. So of course there wasn't a penalty for either guy, but that doesn't mean that Stroll is showing a complete lack of experience. I hope he's a quick learner, but I continue to be puzzled why his dad didn't buy him a seat at Prema in F2 and had to rush him into a drive he was not yet prepared for.

Xando

Looks like Ferrari brought a new frontwing

C9SXQlJWsAAWsRO.jpg

C9SZNsrWsAEBjjW.jpg
https://twitter.com/tgruener

Zaru

If you were Button, would you want to diet/train HARD from now until the race in Monaco (a place you live in anyway) and possibly bin the car into the walls because you have no experience with the 2017 regs?

Theorry

If you were Button, would you want to diet/train HARD from now until the race in Monaco (a place you live in anyway) and possibly bin the car into the walls because you have no experience with the 2017 regs?

Is there any other driver choice really?

mclem

Given that Button does ironman triathlons (and I believe was intending to still do triathlons after retirement), I would imagine that he's probably closer to the appropriate level of fitness than many other options.

Edit: Ah, he'd just done one a week or so ago... where he was disqualified. For speeding.

The story

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Guy does triathlons for fun, I'm sure his training regime will change for F1, but he's not going to struggle to get in shape. They could throw him in the car for a friday practice session before Monaco anyway.

Mobius 1

Given that Button does ironman triathlons (and I believe was intending to still do triathlons after retirement), I would imagine that he's probably closer to the appropriate level of fitness than many other options.

Edit: Ah, he'd just done one a week or so ago... where he was disqualified. For speeding.

The story

Come back Jenson, we miss you.

Zaru

Neither does Monaco, which is probably the easiest race physically.

Makes sense I guess. The bumpiness would probably hurt someone like injured Wehrlein, but the g-forces probably won't be that demanding for a healthy driver.
Still, that's a few weeks of neck exercises for Button. I wonder if he gets paid by the year or receives extra for a race.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wonder if the WDC champ will mind driving around in his backyard?

Oh God, hadn't considered Rosberg. That'd be hilarious. Isn't he still contracted to do some Mercedes promotional stuff?

On the other hand, he did say he wanted to end on a high. And this is a McLaren...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom