• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The magical 3 tenths.

Though not sure how Rosberg beating Hamilton 9 times in Q3 last year is an argument for that claim.

If you are able to study all the data like Nico was, then of course you can become proficient enough to match him.

But I do think Hamilton is able to naturally produce lap times others can not. Obviously as a supremely talented guy hes also supremely flawed sometimes. Nico had to work so so hard to get to his level, whereas it comes naturally to Hamilton. Its the same as Prost vs Senna.

If you are able to study all the data like Nico was, then of course you can become proficient enough to match him.

But I do think Hamilton is able to naturally produce lap times others can not. Obviously as a supremely talented guy hes also supremely flawed sometimes. Nico had to work so so hard to get to his level, whereas it comes naturally to Hamilton. Its the same as Prost vs Senna.

Hamilton engine blowing up in three or four quail sessions last year, meaning he was in engine conservation mode due to reliability until spa probably helped Rosberg too.

People said the same thing with McLaren. Ferrari needs someone to push Vettel more and get the WCC.

Ferrari doesn't have the team culture to accept a driver who openly trashtalked Ferrari after he left and is now doing the same with his actual team.
Ron Dennis needed his sponsor money, so it was another situation.

Theorry

Ferrari doesn't have the team culture to accept a driver who openly trashtalked Ferrari after he left and is now doing the same with his actual team.
Ron Dennis needed his sponsor money, so it was another situation.

I doubt it. If Alonso came knocking they probably will have a big think about it. Who wouldnt.

Loris146

Sure but Alonso can win with a really good car, he doesnt need the best

Alonso did not win in Ferrari though. The car was really good in 2010 and 2012.

Kimi is not as good as Rubens right now. He was able to finish second or third almost all the time and sometimes even ahead of Schumi.

Alonso did not win in Ferrari though. The car was really good in 2010 and 2012.

Kimi is not as good as Rubens right now. He was able to finish second or third almost all the time and sometimes even ahead of Schumi.

The car was not good. The fact he got anywhere close to Vettel in the Red Bull showed how amazing he is.

He doesnt need the best car, he can push it past its limits. I know he's made terrible moves at terrible moments in his career and wasted a lot of it stuck in uncompetitive situations, but he deserves a title winning car, he's endured enough torment.

Loris146

The car was not good. The fact he got anywhere close to Vettel in the Red Bull showed how amazing he is.

He doesnt need the best car, he can push it past its limits. I know he's made terrible moves at terrible moments in his career and wasted a lot of it stuck in uncompetitive situations, but he deserves a title winning car, he's endured enough torment.

Alonso is a top tier driver no doubt but Ferrari already has his "Alonso". It's Vettel. No need to sign Alonso. Just a great second driver able to finish ahead of the second Merc driver. Vettel and Alonso rivalry would be a huge clusterfuck to manage during the season.

Dilly

Banned
Pretty obvious Vettel is going to be world champion this season.

Too bad that he can only be bothered to drive good when he's given race winning machinery.

Can only hope Ferrari can't keep up with car development now Allison is gone.

Alonso is a top tier driver no doubt but Ferrari already has his "Alonso". It's Vettel. No need to sign Alonso. Just a great second driver able to finish ahead of the second Merc driver. Vettel and Alonso rivalry would be a huge clusterfuck to manage during the season.

But who else could perform at that level? I would've said Hulk but he's at a works team so its too late. Theres no one else I can see at the moment who you could guarantee to finish behind Vettel.

I think Alonso would compete for a few years but then obviously he would drop off slightly. He can speak Italian and has sponsors. I think they would be a manageable partnership.

Xando

Too bad that he can only be bothered to drive good when he's given race winning machinery.

Can only hope Ferrari can't keep up with car development now Allison is gone.

Didn't take long for the Vettel hate to come back

avaya

No Alonso at Ferrari please, guy is totally toxic. I was happy to see the back of him.

Unnecessary too given Vettel is there, just need a solid number two.

Hope Lewis irons out some of these mistakes, really should have won this. Then again he was leery into T4 on every session which was endemic of his overall weekend.

A genuine Mercedes vs Ferrari battle. Original Grand Prix racing :)

Shame the Ferrari is fucking hideous.

Aaron

Any young hungry driver will do that, they don't need Alonso.
Seriously. There's at least a have dozen better choices before Alonso, and I like Alonso. He's just not a good fit for Ferrari right now.

I doubt Ferrari will go with a young driver. Like Sainz or something. Grosjean would be a choice but not sure he is Ferrari quality.
You think they'd got for another older vet after dealing with Kimi the past few years? Seems unlikely to me.

kiyomi

I doubt Ferrari will go with a young driver. Like Sainz or something. Grosjean would be a choice but not sure he is Ferrari quality.

They just need a guy who can bring the car home 2nd when Vettel wins, which Kimi isn't right now.

I think Grosjean would be a great choice. Fast, cheap, consistent, but probably wouldn't upset Vettel. I'd argue Hulkenberg as well but I don't think they'd want two German drivers in that car. Perez and Sainz seem to get mentioned a lot too but I kinda think Perez might've unknowingly burnt some bridges when he came out of McLaren. There has to be a reason why another top team hasn't come in for him.

In the end, it's Ferrari, so they'll probably just say "fuck it" and resign Kimi to another 2 year deal after he has one good race in Spa or some shit.

BigAl1992

To be brutally honest about Alonso, I would prefer if he went to Renault and spent his final year(s?) there helping them to improve the car and be the catalyst for them winning races then to be at Ferrari. I personally feel that that he can win races in a competitive car, I mean hell he's managed to drag that shitbox of a McLaren up the grid to positions that it doesn't deserve to be in, but with Vettel at Ferrari, I think it'd turn sour for him and all involved very fast. At Renault, the car there does has some actual speed and race pace there to get to positions on the grid it has no right to. Hulkenberg proved that today in the race, so with Alonso at the wheel, you just never know. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get merrily drunk and apologies if this didn't make any sense, as I'm halfway between drunk and blackout drunk at the moment.

DD

Nah, for me Senna and Prost were like Hamilton and Alonso at the same team. The two best drivers of their time, evenly matched.

TCRS

Banned
Alonso actually overtook other cars with that lawnmower engine, he has always been able to outdrive his car.

Ferrari needs to get rid of Kimi, he can't even perform at Rubens level anymore. He is a fucking world champion christ. Nah, his time is over. He was fun to watch at Lotus bit his return to Ferrari was a disaster.

Question is who is there to replace him? I don't see Alonso taking a second driver role. Verstappen? Too hungry and too much raw talent that could threaten Vettel. Ricciardo might have been a good choice, but I think Vettel still remembers that one year at RB.

I think Grosjean comes closest to the level of driving required as a solid second driver.

Loris146

Ruben was an amazing driver though. His team mate was arguably the best driver of modern era of F1 and still he was able to perform near his level. Massa before and Kimi now are far from being fast as him.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ruben was an amazing driver though. His team mate was arguably the best driver of modern era of F1 and still he was able to perform near his level. Massa before and Kimi now are far from being fast as him.

Rubens spend more than half of his 18-year-long career in race and championship winning cars and only won 11 races and got 14 poles. He is the very definition of a second driver. Good for points and for not getting in the way of actual winners.

Massa and Kimi are just the same, Rubens wasn't any better than they were by any stretch of the imagination. At least Massa almost won a championship and Kimi actually did. Kimi also has way more podiums in way less seasons in F1, out of these three he is far and away the best driver.

Kyougar

Rubens spend more than half of his 18-year-long career in race and championship winning cars and only won 11 races and got 14 poles. He is the very definition of a second driver. Good for points and for not getting in the way of actual winners.

Massa and Kimi are just the same, Rubens wasn't any better than they were by any stretch of the imagination. At least Massa almost won a championship and Kimi actually did. Kimi also has way more podiums in way less seasons in F1, out of these three he is far and away the best driver.

was the best driver. He isnt anymore. Kimi is just checking in his salary.

Zaru

Sad to see Raikonnen now compared to his prime years really, just hope he retires next year.

He's not getting any better, that's for sure.
Last year's qualifying performance was probably more down to car handling preferences and Vettel underperforming than a genuine resurgence. Remember how Alonso and Vettel destroyed him in the years prior.

Loris146

There is a huge difference between finish second/third or fourth/fifth like Massa and Kimi in the last years in Ferrari. Rubens was way better then them as a second driver, that is what i said. Kimi before 2013 was of course a totally different driver.

spuckthew

Depends how much Mercedes continue to fuck up (from both a pit wall and a driver point of view). They arguably lost Australia when pitting Hamilton too early, and here in Bahrain Hamilton's first pit stop and subsequent penalty certainly made any chance of the win a whole lot more difficult.

The two cars, in the hands of Vettel and Hamilton, are so evenly paced in race trim (so far) that this championship will almost definitely come down to reliability, strategy and a bit of good fortune rather than out-and-out speed.

Vettel may have won 2 out of 3, but there's no way that it's "pretty obvious" he'll win.

Kyougar

its pretty obvious that we are still in the early stages of the WDC that we cant make those statements, only hope that the fight continues until the last race.

kiyomi

Sad to see Raikonnen now compared to his prime years really, just hope he retires next year.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider his prime years? Like.. 2002-2007? Or his years at Lotus?

Kimi on his day was very fast, but I think when we look back on his career in 5-10 years time, we'll probably remember him only as a good driver rather than a great one.

Massa

People said the same thing with McLaren. Ferrari needs someone to push Vettel more and get the WCC.

McLaren fought really hard to not have him, it was Honda that forced him onto the team. And now I'm sure they all regret it, like every other team that ever worked with him.

There was only one really because he wanted a works team. Mercedes was locked.

There was only one because none of the others wanted him. Mercedes wants nothing to do with him after the whole spygate.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider his prime years? Like.. 2002-2007? Or his years at Lotus?

Kimi on his day was very fast, but I think when we look back on his career in 5-10 years time, we'll probably remember him only as a good driver rather than a great one.

Kimi in the McLaren and his championship year was great. He would be a two maybe three time champ if the Mclaren wasn't a unreliable piece of trash during those years.

kiyomi

A very popular good driver. He's probably had the most fans at all the races I've been to outside Sliverstone.

I think his popularity is part of the reason he's considered a stronger driver than he actually is.

Kimi in the McLaren and his championship year was great. He would be a two maybe three time champ if the Mclaren wasn't a unreliable piece of trash during those years.

2003 and 2005, yeah. He had some pretty shit teammates though. Coulthard in 2003, and an injured Montoya in 2005 with commitment issues.

Also, in both seasons, his teammate had worse reliability. While Kimi comfortably beat both of them, he had a fair crack at both championships and just couldn't quite get there.

Pretty much every year he's actually had a decent teammate, he's been pretty underwhelming. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom