• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129028/generator-failure-hurt-bottas-race

Valtteri Bottas's lack of pace in the opening stint of Formula 1's Bahrain Grand Prix was the result of running incorrect tyre pressures because Mercedes' generator broke on the grid.

The Finn started on pole position and held the lead at the start but his lack of performance meant he was unable to make a gap and came under intense pressure from Sebastian Vettel, at the head of a queue that included Lewis Hamilton and Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo.

"Our generator broke on the grid and we couldn't bleed Valtteri's tyres so we were starting with the completely wrong tyre pressures on his car," said Mercedes chief Toto Wolff.

After he made his first pitstop, Bottas was able to challenge Vettel for the lead at the restart, but couldn't make it stick, and from there he fell back as he continued to struggle.

However, as his later sets of tyres were pressured correctly, Bottas is unsure why the rest of his race was so difficult.

Pretty obvious Vettel is going to be world champion this season.

Too bad that he can only be bothered to drive good when he's given race winning machinery.

Can only hope Ferrari can't keep up with car development now Allison is gone.

Yeah like that year he finished second splitting the Brawns which were the most overpowered things in the history of things.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is great, race number 3 for me watching Formula 1 racing. Dragged some friends to a new york city F1 meetup to watch the race, it was really cool to watch with people getting excited. It was a Ferrari crowd, so there was a huge pop when Vettel passed Hamilton right at the start.

My fave driver so far is definitely Mad Max, I was disappointed that he had the brake problems. He is super fun to watch.

I am just really happy I was able to talk very competently to people that have been watching for years, I have been reading a LOT lol. I am #teamMB so it was a disappointing race for me. Too bad about that penalty.

I will prob go again for Moscow, it was a lot of fun.

paskowitz

This is great, race number 3 for me watching Formula 1 racing. Dragged some friends to a new york city F1 meetup to watch the race, it was really cool to watch with people getting excited. It was a Ferrari crowd, so there was a huge pop when Vettel passed Hamilton right at the start.

My fave driver so far is definitely Mad Max, I was disappointed that he had the brake problems. He is super fun to watch.

I am just really happy I was able to talk very competently to people that have been watching for years, I have been reading a LOT lol. I am #teamMB so it was a disappointing race for me. Too bad about that penalty.

I will prob go again for Moscow, it was a lot of fun.

What meetup? On meetup.com?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Bad Luck Lance. How ironic that the so called "crasher" has ended up being the "crashee".

The month of May can't come soon enough for Alonso. Guess my question remains unanswered for another race weekend:
Who will be the first to complete a full race distance, Alonso or Stroll?

dakun

Is there a link on this?

i don't have a link, it was the post-race show on Sky.

I just want to clarify though. It wasn't McLaren saying "yes he's talking to Renault". The boss of McLaren (forgot his name) was asked about the rumors that Renault and Alonso are interested. And he basically said that he wouldn't be surprised if he calls up some "old friends" during the next few months, and how they'd be stupid to not have a backup plan.

I'll try to find a link later.

RSP

i don't have a link, it was the post-race show on Sky.

I just want to clarify though. It wasn't McLaren saying "yes he's talking to Renault". The boss of McLaren (forgot his name) was asked about the rumors that Renault and Alonso are interested. And he basically said that he wouldn't be surprised if he calls up some "old friends" during the next few months, and how they'd be stupid to not have a backup plan.

I'll try to find a link later.

https://youtu.be/guTIMIPak0c

Dilly

Banned
Depends how much Mercedes continue to fuck up (from both a pit wall and a driver point of view). They arguably lost Australia when pitting Hamilton too early, and here in Bahrain Hamilton's first pit stop and subsequent penalty certainly made any chance of the win a whole lot more difficult.

The two cars, in the hands of Vettel and Hamilton, are so evenly paced in race trim (so far) that this championship will almost definitely come down to reliability, strategy and a bit of good fortune rather than out-and-out speed.

Vettel may have won 2 out of 3, but there's no way that it's "pretty obvious" he'll win.

The Ferrari is quicker in race trim, Mercedes in qualy. Ferrari only needs a decent undercut and pit him so he comes out in clean air to win GP's now. Also, Hamilton has a better teammate than Vettel.

It would have been 3/3 for Ferrari if it wasn't for GIO's crash in China.

Yeah like that year he finished second splitting the Brawns which were the most overpowered things in the history of things.

Right, the behemoth of car development that was Brawn GP.

They were 'OP' for the first 6 races, and this is 8 years ago before him winning a WC.

Last year for Red Bull and second year for Ferrari he did nothing but complain on the radio about blue flags and mope around in the paddock. Atleast Hamilton bothered dragging his shitbox to good results.

Had wrong tyre pressures during first stint. Lost the race dropping like a boulder in the final stint from both his teammate and a rival car. Checks out. But hey, still beat Kimi, which is pretty much specifically what he's being paid to do. I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt on this stuff, but this is the third time in 3 races where he just disappears and is a half second slower than Hamilton on average. Please don't turn into Kimi. Bottas is way too young to turn into a Kimi (lazy, drunken, screaming, fan favorite).

Addnan

Had wrong tyre pressures during first stint. Lost the race dropping like a boulder in the final stint from both his teammate and a rival car. Checks out. But hey, still beat Kimi, which is pretty much specifically what he's being paid to do. I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt on this stuff, but this is the third time in 3 races where he just disappears and is a half second slower than Hamilton on average. Please don't turn into Kimi. Bottas is way too young to turn into a Kimi (lazy, drunken, screaming, fan favorite).

Kimi had a decent career at first. If Bottas becomes current Kimi then he is just a shit driver.

Ennosuke

The Ferrari is quicker in race trim, Mercedes in qualy. Ferrari only needs a decent undercut and pit him so he comes out in clean air to win GP's now. Also, Hamilton has a better teammate than Vettel.

It would have been 3/3 for Ferrari if it wasn't for GIO's crash in China.

Right, the behemoth of car development that was Brawn GP.

They were 'OP' for the first 6 races, and this is 8 years ago before him winning a WC.

Last year for Red Bull and second year for Ferrari he did nothing but complain on the radio about blue flags and mope around in the paddock. Atleast Hamilton bothered dragging his shitbox to good results.

We get it, thanks. Hamilton is fantastic and Seb is utter trash.

Kyougar

what do you guys think, would a more competitive driver in the second Mercedes help or hinder Vettel's chance on the WDC?

Would someone like Rosberg snatch points from Hamilton on tracks where the Ferrari isnt on par or better than the Mercedes so that hamilton loses the 7 point advantage. Or would a competitive 2nd driver snatch Vettel's wins when Hamilton has issues/DNF's or bad track position?

Bottas is clearly a 2nd Driver who has no say when Hamilton is behind him. Rosberg would have been the current WDC and wouldn't even brake for Hamilton. Maybe he would even be better than Hamilton and the fight would be between him and Vettel.

what do you guys think, would a more competitive driver in the second Mercedes help or hinder Vettel's chance on the WDC?

Would someone like Rosberg snatch points from Hamilton on tracks where the Ferrari isnt on par or better than the Mercedes so that hamilton loses the 7 point advantage. Or would a competitive 2nd driver snatch Vettel's wins when Hamilton has issues/DNF's or bad track position?

Bottas is clearly a 2nd Driver who has no say when Hamilton is behind him. Rosberg would have been the current WDC and wouldn't even brake for Hamilton. Maybe he would even be better than Hamilton and the fight would be between him and Vettel.

Yeah, it really depends on the situation. A good driver might steal more points from Hamilton, than from Vettel overall. That's also why I think there is no chance that Alonso comes back to Ferrari. They need someone to bet the 2nd Merc driver (which currently Rai can't do :/), not challenge their own number one.

avaya

Bottas isn't that good and he's still learning the car.

I buy the generator study because you shouldn't be that much slower. He was actually pretty fast when he switched tires. Just not compared to the Ferrari and certainly not compared to Lewis on fresher tires.

John_B

The more great drivers you have in the top the harder it is to win. It's not like there is a driver that can somehow challenge Hamilton but not touch Vettel.

Bottas will be there if Hamilton makes a mistake. Raikkonen is leaving huge margins for Vettel to work with. Vettel's qualifying lap this weekend was not great and a faster driver than Raikkonen could have taken that third starting position.

It goes both ways, but interestingly for this battle will be that winning races is the most important for both Mercedes and Ferrari. Finishing 1st and 6th is 33 points just like finishing 2nd and 3rd. Team orders will be plenty this season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It goes both ways, but interestingly for this battle will be that winning races is the most important for both Mercedes and Ferrari. Finishing 1st and 6th is 33 points just like finishing 2nd and 3rd. Team orders will be plenty this season.

Plus every DNF due to technical malfunction will be extra painful for Mercedes and Ferrari

Juicy Bob

I thought it was odd that Alonso retired after that double-pass late in the race in Melbourne with 'problems'.

Then when he was passed yesterday, I said to my GF as we were watching the race back on-demand: "I bet you he'll 'mysteriously' have a problem now and retire" - and that's exactly what happened.

Are we sure he's not just rage-quitting at the end of races?

JDB

Banned
I thought it was odd that Alonso retired after that double-pass late in the race in Melbourne with 'problems'.

Then when he was passed yesterday, I said to my GF as we were watching the race back on-demand: "I bet you he'll 'mysteriously' have a problem now and retire" - and that's exactly what happened.

Wouldn't be surprised.

It wouldn't be the first time this year.

ramparter

Banned
People are too quick to label Bottas no2. Im not saying he will be able to challenge Lewis but in time he will be able to do better. Personally I never thought very high of him.

John_B

2017 Bahrain Grand Prix report by Mark Hughes
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/reports/f1/2017-bahrain-grand-prix-report

A good read but no insight that hasn't already been covered. It doesn't say if Alonso retired the car on purpose. It says Bottas was coping with oversteer in his later stints, but doesn't elaborate further.

The contest rages on and for the third time in three races it was close enough between the red and the silvers that only outside factors decided it – in this case in favour of Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari. We still have no clear answer as to which car can actually beat which in a straight uninterrupted race, but again it looks suspiciously like the Ferrari is the better, more flexible car on a Sunday, the Mercedes ultimately faster at its peak over one lap on a Saturday. Ferrari’s pace on the super-soft tyre in the race was significantly better than Merc’s and that looked likely to have given Vettel the edge regardless of how it had played out.

Because Vettel has now won two races from three and his team-mate Kimi Räikkönen continues a lacklustre run, Mercedes’ policy of trying to provide its drivers with equal opportunities is beginning to hurt them in what already looks like a tight championship fight. Valtteri Bottas narrowly eclipsed Lewis Hamilton in qualifying to set his first pole but for a variety of factors didn’t have good pace on race day. Merc’s initial reluctance to move him aside for Hamilton after Vettel had undercut his way past Bottas for the lead lost Lewis valuable time that ultimately might have cost Mercedes a victory. They eventually had to make the call, and Bottas moved aside, but for the previous three years such calls have only usually decided which of its own two drivers might beat the other. But now that delaying such calls are potentially losing it races to a rival team, it would seem there are some hard choices coming up. “It’s a call you don’t want to make,” admitted Toto Wolff, “and it’s only when the moment comes that if you do nothing you are definitely going to lose the race that you are forced into this unpopular action.”

Mohonky

Finshed watching the race;

Alonso is pure comedy.

"He came from like 300m behind me and just passed me on the straight. I have never driven a car with such little power"

My favourite though is when they asked if they should change tyre strategy and Alonso just replies with a "do what you want mate." He's clearly had enough. The first year, it was always going to be rough, but the second year should have seen improvements and this year the power unit should have been sorted, instead they've actually gone completely backwards and they can't even finish a race.

Anyway, Hamilton...., just a moment of sheer brain fade. He threw the race away with that stupid pit move. It mean't they had to wait longer for Bottas to pull out which mean't he held himself up and scored himself a 5 second penalty.

I would have loved to seen a Vettel / Hamilton battle because as much as people think the Ferrari has been the better car in race trim, I really don't think that's been the case, I think the Merc is a bit ahead in Quali but I think those cars might be dead even in race trim, it's just been a combination of Strategy and Luck (or in Bahrain Hamilton throwing it away with that penalty) that has been the difference. Definitely have to see the pair fighting it on the track at some point this year, it has to happen, they can't go a whole season of somehow avoiding it.

Merc strategy continues to utterly baffle me. In Australia they pulled Hamilton in to come out into traffic when it was obvious that would happen, in Bahrain, I feel they left him out too long and allowed Vettel to pull Hamilton in so by the time Hamilton managed to pit, Vettel was way to far down the road for the number of laps left. Just made no sense to me.

Force India seem to be travelling along pretty good, Perez has been a consistent performer.

Sauber are utter shit. But still better than McLaren.

Haas seem to go ok some days and not so great others.

Renault I think, if they pull Alonso back next year, could go pretty good.

It's interesting to watch a lot of the younger (dare I say, pay drivers) fighting around the back, it's like watching GP2, they just cannot go into a corner without tripping over one another.

DBT85

Bottas got told to move over as he couldn't keep up and was holding up Hamilton who was one slowwer tyres. The team thought they might get 1st and 3rd rather than 2nd and 3rd. We've seen before that Rosberg would move over in similar circumstances.

As to Rosberg maybe being better than Hamilton, maybe Kimi be better than Vettel.

Rosberg was faster than Bottas so far I'd say, but he still wasn't faster than Hamilton.

Butbutbut WDC!

Kyougar

Bottas got told to move over as he couldn't keep up and was holding up Hamilton who was one slowwer tyres. The team thought they might get 1st and 3rd rather than 2nd and 3rd. We've seen before that Rosberg would move over in similar circumstances.

As to Rosberg maybe being better than Hamilton, maybe Kimi be better than Vettel.

Rosberg was faster than Bottas so far I'd say, but he still wasn't faster than Hamilton.

Butbutbut WDC!

If they were on different strategies and tyres, sure, Rosberg would have given the position. But he would have questioned the strategy in the first place. And if Lewis asked for a shot at Vettel and giving up the position if it doesnt work, Rosberg would have demanded the position back.

There were no pressure issues with the last set of tyres, why was Bottas struggling? Was he just bad or was he told to fall back so that he doesnt come in a situation where Hamilton has to answer questions why he didnt give the position back to Bottas? He was over 6 seconds behind Vettel, it would have been clear 5 laps before the end that he cant catch him. With the second Mercedes driver only 1 or 2 seconds behind Hamilton instead 20 seconds, the guys from Mercedes and Hamilton would have to think about honoring the promise from the beginning of the race.

Butbutbut WDC!
Hamilton threw that championship away himself with those shitty fucking starts, though he was not helped by the reliability problems that only happened to him. By the time Hamilton clawed back that lead he got thrown to the back of the track to get two new engines, which one proceeded to fucking explode as he was leading Malaysia.

Ummm...the Brawns were only OP for like the first six races or some shit.

A Brawn car won the first 7 races of the season and after that they were still somewhat competitive after that, enough to sustain the ridiculous cushion they got. The main thing here is that the Red Bulls were not reliable either, Seb won a race and got a second place and his car broke in the next two races and that was that. Did I mention he was 22 years old? There's no downplaying the feat it was to split them in the final standings.

Like Lewis doesn't complain all the fucking time on the radio. At least Seb never implied there was a fucking conspiracy to keep him from winning the WDC as if he was somehow fucking entitled to.

Besides, if splitting the Brawns and then winning 4 titles in a row isn't impressive, what counts as impressive? Being one Timo Glock away from losing the title to Felipe fucking Massa? Vettel would never ever lose to Nico with that car as well.

A Brawn car won the first 7 races of the season and after that they were still somewhat competitive after that, enough to sustain the ridiculous cushion they got. The main thing here is that the Red Bulls were not reliable either, Seb won a race and got a second place and his car broke in the next two races and that was that. Did I mention he was 22 years old? There's no downplaying the feat it was to split them in the final standings.
I'm not downplaying what Vettel did. Button's cushion was mostly sustained by the fact that there was no real consistent challenger that season. The Brawn was great...for the first 7 races...well to be specific Button in the Brawn wasn't great after the first seven races, cause if I'm not mistaken he didn't win shit after Barcelona. He was probably mostly helped by Hamilton and Webber occasionally taking points off of Vettel, I really need to rewatch what happened in that season, but I really don't think the Brawn car ended that season as the best car.

I'm not downplaying what Vettel did. Button's cushion was mostly sustained by the fact that there was no real consistent challenger that season. The Brawn was great...for the first 7 races...well to be specific Button in the Brawn wasn't great after the first seven races, cause if I'm not mistaken he didn't win shit after Barcelona. He was probably mostly helped by Hamilton and Webber occasionally taking points off of Vettel, I really need to rewatch what happened in that season, but I really don't think the Brawn car ended that season as the best car.

It didn't, but Button was helped by the fact that no car ended the season as the best car. It was a really weird year, Brawn won every race until everyone stopped caring because why even bother at that point and it just kind of dragged until it was over. Vettel was able to macho his way to a fantastic second place and it was pretty much the only fun thing about that year.

h3ro

Initially, I thought Fernando's radio was hysterical and loved the passion. I loved seeming him extract every single ounce of performance from a subpar car. Now, it seems like grandstanding and mean-spirited. We get it, the engine is a shit box. If I'm a mechanic or engineer at the team that has nothing to do with the failures of Honda, I'm over his bullshit.

I say this as someone who loved his driving back in his first spell with Flavio's Renault. Loved how he took it right to Michael and it made for great championships.

I hope he gets out of F1 and just does his thing in other specs. Do Indy, LeMans, hell, even team up with Valentino and give MotoGP a shot. He's won 2 titles and if all he is going to do is self-promote how good he is, time to do something else that 'challenges' him.

I'd miss him on the grid, but I think he'd be better off in a different formula.

It didn't, but Button was helped by the fact that no car ended the season as the best car. It was a really weird year, Brawn won every race until everyone stopped caring because why even bother at that point and it just kind of dragged until it was over. Vettel was able to macho his way to a fantastic second place and it was pretty much the only fun thing about that year.
I honestly think that if that season ended the way it started car wise Button would not have been the champion that year.

cilonen

The McLarens for Hakkinen's first championship were the most OP cars I've ever seen. Didn't they both lap everyone in Melbourne when DC obeyed team orders to let Hakkinen back in front after the pitstops due to a 'gentleman's agreement'.

tomtom94

The McLarens for Hakkinen's first championship were the most OP cars I've ever seen. Didn't they both lap everyone in Melbourne when DC obeyed team orders to let Hakkinen back in front after the pitstops due to a 'gentleman's agreement'.

They did indeed, though that being a race where Schumacher retired on lap 3 helped.

Speaking of which, I think he managed that feat once as well.

Xando

I get the impression that they reduced the amount of broadcasted team radios this year.

It was way too much in the past years.

It seems teams get money for exclusive team radios from TV stations.

Sky germany started to broadcast a lot of team radio during the race without it being on the official feed this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom