• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

C9jFwUrXUAEof5_.jpg:large

tomtom94

To be blunt, Bottas was rubbish today. Hamilton's mistake at the start meant he was stuck behind him for the opening stint and whoever's decision it was to have him run interference at the pit stop for Bottas, that clearly didn't work and it arguably cost him the chance to have a run at Vettel.

Vettel drove flawlessly from the outset and fully deserved the win. I think the Ferrari is the faster car of the two in race trim by a couple of tenths or so, so victories like this one could be crucial at the end of the season.

To be blunt, Bottas was rubbish today. Hamilton's mistake at the start meant he was stuck behind him for the opening stint and whoever's decision it was to have him run interference at the pit stop for Bottas, that clearly didn't work and it arguably cost him the chance to have a run at Vettel.

Vettel drove flawlessly from the outset and fully deserved the win. I think the Ferrari is the faster car of the two in race trim by a couple of tenths or so, so victories like this one could be crucial at the end of the season.

Imo Bottas seems to be a B-class driver like Barichello and Massa. Hope he will step it up.

John_B

Great duel between Hamilton and Vettel. Not sure why Bottas would have tried to keep Hamilton behind him in the last part of the race. Bottas was struggling and Hamilton was much faster.

Again I have to say I'm not happy with how the stewards are supposed to be lenient when the results are already inconsistent. Everyone including Charlie Whiting said Vettel was in the wrong in China. The rules have not since been changed or clarified. Simply the drivers have been warned about doing it. We will see more of this bs through the season.

Congrats to Vettel and Ferrari, he earned that win. Really would like to see a wheel to wheel battle between him and Lewis, we still havnt seen it yet.

Ark

Fell asleep due to jet lag, only managed to watch from lap 40 onwards, but looked like it was a fun race. Glad Vettel took the win, it's shaping up to be a good season :D

Fucking McLaren-Honda though. Lol.

dakun

McLaren basically confirming that Alonso is looking at other teams (specifically Renault).

i'd be happy with Alonso and Hulkenberg at Renault. Palmer needs to go ASAP

BigAl1992

McLaren basically confirming that Alonso is looking at other teams (specifically Renault).

Palmer has to go. He was at the back of the grid in a car that Hulk got into the top 10. It's can easily get into the points, but i haven't seen him show the skill that his team mate has in scoring points through genuine race pace.

Rolfgang

So... does this mean that brotkasten lost the bet?

Also, really sad that I couldn't watch the race today, gotta watch it tomorrow.

Fox Mulder

Alonso should bolt to Renault again if the offer is there. He's not getting a Merc, Ferrari, or redbull seat. Honda fucking sucks and even if McLaren got Merc engines next year, they'll just be another mid field Merc customer team that never win anything.

Zeknurn

So... does this mean that brotkasten lost the bet?

Yes, but he never replied when I proposed another round of the bet between FP3 and Qualifying. So I guess he could dodge out because of a technicality?

But I know I'm up for another one for Sochi if anyone else is willing to take the bet.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Ted suggested that Alonso purposefully retired the car on the last lap. Already guessed so.

lol... His frustration is understandable, but this is getting childish.

kiyomi

Fun race, like others have said, it's really nice to watch a race where you don't know which team is going to win. Shame about the Hamilton penalty, could've been a great race between him and Vettel.

Kimi sucks and needs to go. He can't cope with a car that isn't completely perfect for him and is complaining about a race-winning car. I've also noticed he's incredibly cautious when it comes to wheel-to-wheel racing, on lap 1 he lost a lot of positions because of it. Same when trying to overtake Massa, it took him too long. He just doesn't have that killer instinct.

Sad for Sainz, he was having a tough weekend but looked to have a strong race, but he was completely at fault for the Stroll crash. I hope he gets it back together next race.

Fun race, like others have said, it's really nice to watch a race where you don't know which team is going to win. Shame about the Hamilton penalty, could've been a great race between him and Vettel.

Kimi sucks and needs to go. He can't cope with a car that isn't completely perfect for him and is complaining about a race-winning car. I've also noticed he's incredibly cautious when it comes to wheel-to-wheel racing, on lap 1 he lost a lot of positions because of it. Same when trying to overtake Massa, it took him too long. He just doesn't have that killer instinct.

Sad for Sainz, he was having a tough weekend but looked to have a strong race, but he was completely at fault for the Stroll crash. I hope he gets it back together next race.

I could see Marchionne getting rid of him and parachuting Alonso back in. Now that would be amazing.

BigAl1992

Sainz just got a 3 place grid penalty for Russia for his collision with stroll. Stewards held him responsible for their collision, which I agree with to be honest. Stroll was ahead on the racing line. Sainz just didn't judge it correctly.

Orbis

Sainz just got a 3 place grid penalty for Russia for his collision with stroll. Stewards held him responsible for their collision, which I agree with to be honest. Stroll was ahead on the racing line. Sainz just didn't judge it correctly.
Yep. Sainz carried far too much speed into the apex. There was space for both cars if he was slower.

kiyomi

Rewatching with the Sky Sports commentary, it's like they're watching a different race. Brundle keeps praising Bottas for being so quick this weekend while he's losing 1s a lap to Vettel, lol?

Actually Brundle sounds really jaded

Now on to the lamest circuit in the calendar, Sochi autodrome.
Great racing in Bahrain, lots of what ifs for Hamilton and his 5 second penalty

Yes, but he never replied when I proposed another round of the bet between FP3 and Qualifying. So I guess he could dodge out because of a technicality?

But I know I'm up for another one for Sochi if anyone else is willing to take the bet.

I asked you about the bet, you said "lets wait for FP3" and I didn't see a response from you after that. I even offered it again in the last 5 minutes of Q3.

I'm absolutely in and ready to be served.

I'm also up for the same bet for Sochi.

Zaru

Did Vettel have this so much under control that he didn't even complain about blue flags? Or has he just stopped doing that this year?

Rewatching with the Sky Sports commentary, it's like they're watching a different race. Brundle keeps praising Bottas for being so quick this weekend while he's losing 1s a lap to Vettel, lol?

You can only blame yourself for listening to that nonsense.

BigAl1992

Brundle has been commentating for as long as I can remember actually watching F1 as a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to call it a day soon, as he's seen it all by now, but I'd feel very sad to see him go I've always enjoyed listening to him.

kiyomi

You can only blame yourself for listening to that nonsense.

Haha, yeah. I have it on in the background, just like to have a second opinion on things.

Brundle has been commentating for as long as I can remember actually watching F1 as a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to call it a day soon, as he's seen it all by now, but I'd feel very sad to see him go I've always enjoyed listening to him.

I used to enjoy Brundle as well, but progressively less, not because he's bad, but because he just doesn't have the enthusiasm he used to.

Still, anything's better than Paul di Resta.

To be fair, they are probably rusty as fuck after defaulting into wins for three years straight.

Yes. Mercedes really fucked it up again here but also probably wasn't expecting Bottas to be the Trulli Train.

With my tinfoil hat on, I hope also Mercedes didn't try to give Bottas a confidence booster in qualifying.

Yes. Mercedes really fucked it up again here but also probably wasn't expecting Bottas to be the Trulli Train.

With my tinfoil hat on, I hope Mercedes didn't try to give Bottas a confidence booster in qualifying.

Hamilton messed up his final lap, otherwise he would've been on pole comfortably. On any track he's at least 3 tenths quicker than any other driver

BigAl1992

Haha, yeah. I have it on in the background, just like to have a second opinion on things.

I used to enjoy Brundle as well, but progressively less, not because he's bad, but because he just doesn't have the enthusiasm he used to.

Still, anything's better than Paul di Resta.

To be fair, it's like what I said earlier; he's been commentating for 20 years now and HAS seen it all. If you did the same job for 20 years, eventually you'll lose the same passion for it, no matter how much you love it. And that's before we even consider any sort of agenda the broadcasters he's been with could (I'm only speculating here) have made him want to talk about.

paskowitz

Hamilton messed up his final lap, otherwise he would've been on pole comfortably. On any track he's at least 3 tenths quicker than any other driver

Pretty sure Vettel had enough tire/engine to fight Ham for at least 1 lap. 2-3 laps Ham would have gone by easily. However, even with the 5 seconds it would have likely ended up being the final lap maybe second to last. Also, conditions were not perfect in certain sectors, which would have made passing a bit more challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom