• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard from reliable sources that once they fix the water leak all their problems will be fixed and all 1000bhp will be available to them.
Not to mention that Peter Pomodoro built a real rocket ship. It's amazing and the best car on the grid. So amazing, that it keeps breaking the tremendous Honda engine. Because that one never fails and has 100% reliability this season.

This test is two days for rookie drivers, two days for everyone else.

I can understand McLaren not wasting a test day on Button for a one-off appearance. Vandoorne needs to make some miles.
Maybe if you measure those miles in feet it would be more impressive?

Razgreez

I have heard from reliable sources that once they fix the water leak all their problems will be fixed and all 1000bhp will be available to them.

Not to mention that Peter Pomodoro built a real rocket ship. It's amazing and the best car on the grid. So amazing, that it keeps breaking the tremendous Honda engine. Because that one never fails and has 100% reliability this season.

I dare say you gentleman need your ears dewaxed

DD

Plenty. In fact, some fired drivers have been brought back because the one who replaced them was even worse. Of course, lack of talent isn't the only reason. Some drivers have been replaced because their sponsorship money ran out.

A young(ish) pay driver by the name of Mark Webber only brought enough funding to secure a seat for three races in 2002, but due to an excellent result at his first race, the Minardi team extended his deal until the end of the season. Had he not performed so well immediately, he may have been replaced by someone with more money.

Then there's the story of Bertrand Gachot, who was sent to prison in 1991 for assaulting a taxi driver, which caused him to miss a few races. The Jordan team (now force India, soon to be formula stroll) replaced him with a young driver who was making his Grand Prix debut. Some young guy by the name of Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher impressed so much that he found himself in a better car for the next race, much to Eddie Jordan's chagrin.

These are just two notable examples. There are countless more to be found. Sadly, the F1rejects website is no longer operational. That was probably the best place to learn about some of the more notorious drivers.

Other notable examples of pay drivers were Niki Lauda and Ayrton Senna, with three titles each.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Other notable examples of pay drivers were Niki Lauda and Ayrton Senna, with three titles each.

Yup. Nigel Mansell too.

Out of the champions, you could probably also list all of those who entered Grand Prix racing as privateers, only to be picked up by bigger teams when their talent shone through.

DBT85

Yup. Nigel Mansell too.

Out of the champions, you could probably also list all of those who entered Grand Prix racing as privateers, only to be picked up by bigger teams when their talent shone through.

Yep. Have a look at that BBC documentary I posted a few weeks ago about the Irish driver Tommy Byrne who was doing everything Senna could do a year before he did it, but he had no money coming in so despite testing the McLaren of that time and setting times that were matching Lauda, nobody signed him up.

Here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08jqfqx/sign/crash-and-burn

Kyougar

But how long do you give those pay drivers a chance to show their talent?
Pay Drivers that have a bad car but clearly outdrive their car will be snatched quickly. But we dont need someone paying his seat for 5 years.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Yep. Have a look at that BBC documentary I posted a few weeks ago about the Irish driver Tommy Byrne who was doing everything Senna could do a year before he did it, but he had no money coming in so despite testing the McLaren of that time and setting times that were matching Lauda, nobody signed him up.

Here's the link

No iplayer for me here in Japan, unfortunately. But yeah, Byrne's story is pretty interesting. I keep meaning to pick up a copy of Crashed and Byrned.

kharma45

Here's the link

Watched that last week. Interesting doc, especially around his McLaren test. Huge chip on his shoulder but possibly rightly so.

Deadman

Prediction league updated. May as well brag now because i doubt it will happen again:

THmxOTl.jpg

37cxMeJ.jpg

DBT85

Watched that last week. Interesting doc, especially around his McLaren test. Huge chip on his shoulder but possibly rightly so.

Oh yeah, huge, but thats clear from one of his opening lines when asked "what could you have done differently" is "be bron with a silver spoon up my arse".

His talent was there for all to see, but he didn't fit with the attitude of F1 and had no money to back him. I can understand how that might make you a bit narked at everything to do with it.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Did you manage to watch that Grand Prix the killer Years documentary by the way? or the Senna film or Rush?
Wow thanks for the great response. I am currently watching Senna, I watched Rush when you first said it. I haven't because I have devoured every bit of information I can get my hands on for the sport. I have watched a number of older races as well as re-watching both Australia and China from this year after reading some of the comments on here.

Running an F1 team is a business and there are three major sources of income
  • Chamionship prize money
  • Sponsorship
  • Seat money
Before the start of the season, a lower tier team may feel that they can achieve 7th in a championship, giving them $70m in prize money with a 'standard' driver. However, more sponsorship opportunities may arise from a hiring a lower-skilled handsome-rich-kid driver. The team would then do some calculations:
  • Handsome Rich-kid has ties to Mega-Soda-Corp and could bring in a sponsorship $11m
  • Handsome Rich-kid's dad wants his son to become famous and would pay for the seat, bringing in $1m 'seat money'
  • Less points would drop us from 7th to 9th in the championship, losing $7m prize money
  • There would be more accidents and car repairs, losing around $1m
So...
Standard driver = $70m
But...
Shit driver 70m+11m+1m-7m-1m = $74m

As you can see in the example above, there are some situations where finishing further down the field can net more income. Try for yourself with Motorsport Manager
Interesting. So a team like Force India is actually pretty successful when you factor in the sponsorships. It is amazing how much time and energy and money goes into the sport. I looked up how the teams pull in money, kind of crazy Ferrari gets that large a sum every year as a legacy payment.

Plenty. In fact, some fired drivers have been brought back because the one who replaced them was even worse. Of course, lack of talent isn't the only reason. Some drivers have been replaced because their sponsorship money ran out.

A young(ish) pay driver by the name of Mark Webber only brought enough funding to secure a seat for three races in 2002, but due to an excellent result at his first race, the Minardi team extended his deal until the end of the season. Had he not performed so well immediately, he may have been replaced by someone with more money.

Then there's the story of Bertrand Gachot, who was sent to prison in 1991 for assaulting a taxi driver, which caused him to miss a few races. The Jordan team (now force India, soon to be formula stroll) replaced him with a young driver who was making his Grand Prix debut. Some young guy by the name of Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher impressed so much that he found himself in a better car for the next race, much to Eddie Jordan's chagrin.

These are just two notable examples. There are countless more to be found. Sadly, the F1rejects website is no longer operational. That was probably the best place to learn about some of the more notorious drivers.

Savage.

DBT85

Wow thanks for the great response. I am currently watching Senna, I watched Rush when you first said it. I haven't because I have devoured every bit of information I can get my hands on for the sport. I have watched a number of older races as well as re-watching both Australia and China from this year after reading some of the comments on here.

No problem at all! Anything we can do to encourage new fans in our little group!

Just again, that Grand Prix Killer Years doco is
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto

There are also some other interesting but not F1 related docos that I really recommend.

Madness on Wheels - All about the 1980s "Group B" phase of rally driving where teams were making utterly insane cars thanks to deregulation, people were getting killed etc.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xty1w4_bbc-madness-on-wheels-rallying-s-craziest-years_shortfilms

The Deadliest Crash
- All about the biggest disaster ever in motorsport history at Le Mans in 1955.This one incident led to Mercedes-Benz pulling out of motor racing until 1989.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlq9ml_the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster_auto

kind of crazy Ferrari gets that large a sum every year as a legacy payment.

Yeah, there is more than a little resentment about that and just how large a payment it is even when they are not doing well.

No problem at all! Anything we can do to encourage new fans in our little group!

Just again, that Grand Prix Killer Years doco is
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto

There are also some other interesting but not F1 related docos that I really recommend.

Madness on Wheels - All about the 1980s "Group B" phase of rally driving where teams were making utterly insane cars thanks to deregulation, people were getting killed etc.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xty1w4_bbc-madness-on-wheels-rallying-s-craziest-years_shortfilms

The Deadliest Crash
- All about the biggest disaster ever in motorsport history at Le Mans in 1955.This one incident led to Mercedes-Benz pulling out of motor racing until 1989.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlq9ml_the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster_auto

Yeah, there is more than a little resentment about that and just how large a payment it is even when they are not doing well.
Thanks for these docs!

It seems that Billy Monger had both his legs amputated following his horrendous crash at the F4 race this past Sunday. There is a crowdfunding effort going on to help pay for his medical expenses.

https://twitter.com/alicepowell/status/854720448034209792

At age 17, this is a completely life changing experience for him. Hopefully, he will be able to recover well and return to a life of normalcy.

oh my, that is so upsetting to hear, thoughts to him and his family and I hope he recovers well and stays strong.

BigAl1992

It seems that Billy Monger had both his legs amputated following his horrendous crash at the F4 race this past Sunday. There is a crowdfunding effort going on to help pay for his medical expenses.

At age 17, this is a completely life changing experience for him. Hopefully, he will be able to recover well and return to a life of normalcy.

When I saw the video of that crash, my immediate fear was possible injuries to his legs, as I could've sworn I saw the overall of his right leg appear in view after the crash and he was in the car for way too long to be a minor injury. I'll see if I can chip in something to the fund, as money's tight for me at the moment, but damn. All the best to him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yagami_Sama

Oh my, that is so sad to hear. I only wish that he recovers well . And his accident was horrible to see.

There is a crowdfunding page for him, if it is official can we have a new thread?

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/billymonger23

Mastah

I get an idea behind this crowfunding, but it's fucking disgusting it even exists. One call to McLaren, Williams, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Jonathan Palmer, hell, Bernie Ecclestone or hundreds of other people and it should be done. Why we, racing fans and normal folks, need to give our money instead of these ridiculously rich people from racing community? Where's their support when needed?

I get an idea behind this crowfunding, but it's fucking disgusting it even exists. One call to McLaren, Williams, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Jonathan Palmer, hell, Bernie Ecclestone or hundreds of other people and it should be done. Why we, racing fans and normal folks, need to give our money instead of these ridiculously rich people from racing community? Where's their support when needed?

I've already seen Touring car and GT car drivers retweeting and donating.

cilonen

You've had me googling for my absolute favourite (bad) pay driver moment in F1 and not only did I find it, there's a Reddit thread about it with video.

It's Ricardo Rosset spinning his Tyrell at the swimming pool in Monaco, then trying to pull a quick donut to spin round the right way again, fucking it up and instead wedging himself into the service road at high speed. It's absolute genius.

As the first comment says, his mechanics swapped the letters spelling his name on his paddock scooter around after this incident so they read "TOSSER".

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/44fx93/ricardo_rossets_nightmare_hour_at_monaco_1998_ft/

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
There's Chanoch Nissany who bought himself a Free Practice session at Hungary for his 42nd birthday. He then proceeds to slowly circulate the circuit before beaching it on the gravel and being lifted away while still in the car because he didn't know how to remove his steering wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWSBHbgUlg

He also uttered a legendary phrase, keep in mind he was driving a Minardi:
"Guys I'm coming in, I'm having too much grip."

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom