• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick S.

Banned
Damn, I feel super sorry for that young guy :( Reading that they didn't get him out for 90 minutes must mean that his injuries were absolutely horrible :(

DBT85

It seems that Billy Monger had both his legs amputated following his horrendous crash at the F4 race this past Sunday. There is a crowdfunding effort going on to help pay for his medical expenses.

https://twitter.com/alicepowell/status/854720448034209792

At age 17, this is a completely life changing experience for him. Hopefully, he will be able to recover well and return to a life of normalcy.

Fuck. So sad.

Was there any explanation as to why there was a stationary car on track with no flags?

I get an idea behind this crowfunding, but it's fucking disgusting it even exists. One call to McLaren, Williams, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Jonathan Palmer, hell, Bernie Ecclestone or hundreds of other people and it should be done. Why we, racing fans and normal folks, need to give our money instead of these ridiculously rich people from racing community? Where's their support when needed?
You don't need to do anything if you don't want to, and plenty of drivers and teams will.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Fuck. So sad.

Was there any explanation as to why there was a stationary car on track with no flags?
That car was not fully stationary, he lost power and was slowing down. Monger was at the end of the following pack (3 or 4 cars in front of him), they were racing each other, so he couldn't see slow vehicle on the right. Unfortunate mix of events...

DD

That's horrible news. =/

I get an idea behind this crowfunding, but it's fucking disgusting it even exists. One call to McLaren, Williams, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Jonathan Palmer, hell, Bernie Ecclestone or hundreds of other people and it should be done. Why we, racing fans and normal folks, need to give our money instead of these ridiculously rich people from racing community? Where's their support when needed?
You don't need to do anything if you don't want to, and plenty of drivers and teams will.

I just saw Felipe Nasr twitting the found raising campaign page. I really hope he won't say that his Twitter account was invaded again. :p

DBT85

McLaren have no idea why Vandoornes engine didn't explode today

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129068/mclaren-confused-by-sudden-honda-reliability
McLaren cannot explain why the engine problems that ruined its Bahrain Grand Prix did not reoccur during the second day of Formula 1's in-season test at the Sakhir circuit.

After ongoing MGU-H problems marred its Bahrain Grand Prix weekend, and the first day of testing on Tuesday, the F1 team was unsure what to expect on the final day of running on Wednesday.

Stoffel Vandoorne completed a full testing programme without engine problems, setting the fourth best time overall and completing 81 laps.

But with Honda having made no modifications to the specification that hit trouble after just two installation laps on Tuesday, McLaren racing director Eric Boullier said he could not explain why things had improved so much overnight.

"If we knew...this is the problem, I don't know," he said when asked about the turnaround.

"Everything has worked perfectly. We are even actually pushing a little bit in terms of settings, trying to use the opportunity, and everything is working.

"This is a proper test today, everything you plan you can test it and do back-to-back, so it's very good."

x0ml8.png

Zaru

Satire is out of a job with McHonda. Reality trumps any joke we could come up with.

I swear to god they'll win a race this year in a dominant fashion while otherwise barely making points and they'll have no idea why.

That car was not fully stationary, he lost power and was slowing down. Monger was at the end of the following pack (3 or 4 cars in front of him), they were racing each other, so he couldn't see slow vehicle on the right. Unfortunate mix of events...

Donnington is long overdue for a makeover. That sector has been a accident waiting to happen.

More fake news from Autosport:

"with Honda having made no modifications to the specification that hit trouble after just two installation laps on Tuesday"

Honda's Nakamura today:

"After the damage to the MGU-H, we have taken counter-measures, which bear fruit first. We are also making progress on the drivability of the engine.

Can Auto / Motorsport get Daily Mailed?

That accident with Billy Monger was awful.

It makes me wonder if having a motorsport-series where accidents like this is possible should be open to teenagers. You basically have a sport where a mistake (or something out of your control) can get you or someone else seriously hurt or worse.

We've had a lot of young drivers in F1 lately but would it be so bad if you couldn't join F4 or F3 before you are 18?

Jibbed

It makes me wonder if having a motorsport-series where accidents like this is possible should be open to teenagers. You basically have a sport where a mistake (or something out of your control) can get you or someone else seriously hurt or worse.

We've had a lot of young drivers in F1 lately but would it be so bad if you couldn't join F4 or F3 before you are 18?

He hit the back of a stationary car at around 100mph. It's a one-off nightmare scenario that you could never possibly prepare for without another 20-30 years of safety advancements.

You could argue there should've been waved yellows in the area or something to that effect, but in terms of the actual damage dealt by the collision, he's actually incredibly lucky to be alive.

More fake news from Autosport:

"with Honda having made no modifications to the specification that hit trouble after just two installation laps on Tuesday"

Honda's Nakamura today:

"After the damage to the MGU-H, we have taken counter-measures, which bear fruit first. We are also making progress on the drivability of the engine.

Can Auto / Motorsport get Daily Mailed?

Why do you never post the source of your quotes? It's even more offensive than your troll character itself.

xrnzaaas

The whole motorsport world would have to change and stop hiring very young drivers because of their talent and/or personality which makes them attractive to sponsors. Besides you can have a freak accident anywhere, even in karting.

BigAl1992

Just a quick update on the support fund for Monger; they've managed to hit the target of £260,000 for him. Hope it helps in his recovery and rehabilitation.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Horrendous news about Billy Monger. I was hoping his injuries weren't this severe. Just 17 years old, too. What a shame.

You've had me googling for my absolute favourite (bad) pay driver moment in F1 and not only did I find it, there's a Reddit thread about it with video.

It's Ricardo Rosset spinning his Tyrell at the swimming pool in Monaco, then trying to pull a quick donut to spin round the right way again, fucking it up and instead wedging himself into the service road at high speed. It's absolute genius.

As the first comment says, his mechanics swapped the letters spelling his name on his paddock scooter around after this incident so they read "TOSSER".

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/44fx93/ricardo_rossets_nightmare_hour_at_monaco_1998_ft/

I was watching this live. Brundle was absolutely savage with his "It's a pretty short debate" comment and Murray Walker trying to hold his laughter in afterwards only makes it more funny.

Yagami_Sama

McLaren situation is pretty unique. The car does not work, no one knows what is wrong. The car worked and no one know what is right.
I saw the tests results a few minutes back, when I saw Vandoorne in 04th, I thought the other teams had problems ?

Anyway, I hope that this is sign that good times are coming and next race they at least finish a race.

itsgreen

McLaren situation is pretty unique. The car does not work, no one knows what is wrong. The car worked and no one know what is right.
I saw the tests results a few minutes back, when I saw Vandoorne in 04th, I thought the other teams had problems ?

Anyway, I hope that this is sign that good times are coming and next race they at least finish a race.

Nothing special. Qually run? Alonso did 1:32.0, today they did 1:32.1...

Others did other stuff... _nothing_ has happened.

xrnzaaas

The wheels look bad, but the rest is very nice. :) By the way it would be a cool idea if F1 cars got some kind of LED lights to be used in bad weather conditions and to warn the other car when you're lapping them.

I'd still kill for this Newey fan car! Red Bull X2011 Prototype, Gran Turismo 5/6. Gets to abuse the best parts of both open-wheel and prototype. Would like to see some sort of slimline cockpit formula developed eventually, though. If the cars look at all like that Renault in 10 years I'd welcome it.

latest

Zeknurn

I never like these design studies that somebody (presumably) doodled without taking engineering requirements into consideration. Real cars will never look like something somebody just came up with just because it looks cool.

That's because they're made by marketing departments not engineers.

I still think the Formula E season 5 concept looks better than any of these F1 concepts.

Patrick S.

Banned
I never like these design studies that somebody (presumably) doodled without taking engineering requirements into consideration. Real cars will never look like something somebody just came up with just because it looks cool.

To be fair, the basic design of this study isn't too different from an F1 car of today. The basic proportions are pretty much the same, except for the huge tires, and the upper air duct being almost gone here. That's the part I'd expect to change the most, for safety reasons in case of a roll over.

dakun

i know this is just marketing.
But i still think it's funny that these "visions" never have a realistic design. The cars didn't change drastically for decades now. The most futuristic they ever looked imo was in 2007-8 with all the extra aerodynamic parts, and still they look similar to the cars today.

Most likely the cars will look very similar to today in 2027 too. (with the exception of any cockpit protection they might introduce)

Apparently Ferrari not only had problems with the car yesterday, but also had an electrical failure in their garage, which limited their mileage during the testing session.

i know this is just marketing.
But i still think it's funny that these "visions" never have a realistic design. The cars didn't change drastically for decades now. The most futuristic they ever looked imo was in 2007-8 with all the extra aerodynamic parts, and still they look similar to the cars today.

Most likely the cars will look very similar to today in 2027 too. (with the exception of any cockpit protection they might introduce)

That's what they're supposed to be, because they're concepts. They're not always meant to exactly predict the design of the future, but show a direction design could go in the future. If you look at most concept cars, they look vastly different and it's not because the designers have no clue about engineering, but because they're supposed to go beyond what's possible today. They're supposed to be aspirational and inspire people (and investors, to be honest) and show them what the future of the company might look like.

Thank you!

Zaru

I get this ominous™ feeling that the Mercs will get on top of the race setup/tyres over the next few races and then they'll have too much of an edge. People will blame Ferrari for bad development pace but it's down to the "performance ceiling" of the Mercs being higher and them reaching more of their full potential.

I'd be glad to be wrong though.

spuckthew

I get this ominous™ feeling that the Mercs will get on top of the race setup/tyres over the next few races and then they'll have too much of an edge. People will blame Ferrari for bad development pace but it's down to the "performance ceiling" of the Mercs being higher and them reaching more of their full potential.

I'd be glad to be wrong though.

It's not an unrealistic assumption based on their qualifying advantage in Bahrain. At the moment Ferrari are an even match (at minimum) in race trim, but the championship will be done and dusted for Merc if they can carry over their qualifying performance into the race.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ferrari has room to upgrade and have already brought aero upgrades to the car last race. Assuming Merc is gonna just overtake them at some point is not really something I'm that worried about.

Their qualifying setting is never going to last a full race so they'll never pull far ahead under race conditions. And it will be very interesting to see how well their reliability holds up now that Hamilton can't tune down the engine for 90% of the race like he's used to doing over the past seasons.

Add to that that at some point (Spain for Aero and Canada for engine) RBR is gonna get its shit together and young Max and hopefully RIC are certainly going to be a factor in this title fight at some point.

There will be no cruising to wins for Mercedes at this point, I'm sure.

Ferrari has room to upgrade and have already brought aero upgrades to the car last race. Assuming Merc is gonna just overtake them at some point is not really something I'm that worried about.

Their qualifying setting is never going to last a full race so they'll never pull far ahead under race conditions. And it will be very interesting to see how well their reliability holds up now that Hamilton can't tune down the engine for 90% of the race like he's used to doing over the past seasons.

Add to that that at some point (Spain for Aero and Canada for engine) RBR is gonna get its shit together and young Max and hopefully RIC are certainly going to be a factor in this title fight at some point.

There will be no cruising to wins for Mercedes at this point, I'm sure.

But Ferrari always had the room to upgrade their car and they brought new parts on a regular basis. It's just that those upgrades rarely brought them the advantage they had hoped for and sometimes it made the car even slower. At best they helped them not falling further back the grid. I still remember back in 2011, when they were so desperate, they brought a copy of the RB front wing to a GP and it flexed like crazy, causing sparks way before we had those skid blocks underneath the cars.

giphy.gif

Good times, good times.

What I'm saying is that there's no reason to believe that Ferrari sorted their shit out, when it comes to developing the car over the course of a season. There's a reason why "car doesn't work, throw it into the trash, focus on next year" is kind of a meme with them. I'm sure it doesn't help that the lead developer of this year's car jumped the ship to their biggest competitor.

Aiii

So not worth it
2011 Alonso/Mattiacci Ferrari is a vastly different team than 2016 Vettel/Arrivabene Ferrari.

I have said this before, Alonso seems incapable of motivating and leading a team, the only time he has had success was when he had a strong team boss leading the pack.

YourMaster

What I'm saying is that there's no reason to believe that Ferrari sorted their shit out, when it comes to developing the car over the course of a season.
There is also no reason to believe they haven't.

I'm probably not the only one that's surprised they are up there in the first place.

Dilly

Banned
2011 Alonso/Mattiacci Ferrari is a vastly different team than 2016 Vettel/Arrivabene Ferrari.

I have said this before, Alonso seems incapable of motivating and leading a team, the only time he has had success was when he had a strong team boss leading the pack.

Drivers don't lead teams. Especially not in modern F1 times. I don't understand why arguments like these keep cropping up. It doesn't mesh with the actual process that goes behind engineering something.

Aiii

So not worth it
Drivers don't lead teams. Especially not in modern F1 times. I don't understand why arguments like these keep cropping up. It doesn't mesh with the actual process that goes behind engineering something.

Good drivers lead teams and inspire their engineers to go the extra mile. Or at the very least their half of the garage.

Why do you think Vettel thanks his team in Italian? Because he's such a nice guy with a warm heart for the Italian language? Of course not, he does it so that his team feels appreciated.

If they can compete with Mercedes for the win after Spa, then I might change my mind on that matter. But until that happens, there's no point in putting any hope in Ferrari.

Of course, even that doesn't stop Vettel from losing the championship in the last race, like Alonso did in 2010/2012. But I'd still applaud them for coming that far.
I don't think my heart could take another hit like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom