• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly

Banned
Good drivers lead teams and inspire their engineers to go the extra mile. Or at the very least their half of the garage.

Why do you think Vettel thanks his team in Italian? Because he's such a nice guy with a warm heart for the Italian language? Of course not, he does it so that his team feels appreciated.

Exactly, drivers who deliver results inspires a team. Both Vettel and Alonso have won races, and spoke Italian.

Maybe, just maybe, the current leadership and engineering team is just more competent than that of 5 years ago?

Zaru

Drivers don't lead teams. Especially not in modern F1 times. I don't understand why arguments like these keep cropping up. It doesn't mesh with the actual process that goes behind engineering something.

Well, Vettel is trying (not sure how successfully) to emulate Schumacher in glueing the team together.
You're inclined to work harder and better for your team when your lead driver isn't an entitled primadonna or uncaring asshole, but someone who remembers your name and goes the extra mile himself to do everything to improve.
I don't think that would turn a shitbox into the class of the field, and it can't counteract bad top level management, but it can give you an edge.

Loris146

2011 Alonso/Mattiacci Ferrari is a vastly different team than 2016 Vettel/Arrivabene Ferrari.

I have said this before, Alonso seems incapable of motivating and leading a team, the only time he has had success was when he had a strong team boss leading the pack.

2011 was Domenicali not Mattiacci though.

Dilly

Banned
Well, Vettel is trying (not sure how successfully) to emulate Schumacher in glueing the team together.
You're inclined to work harder and better for your team when your lead driver isn't an entitled primadonna or uncaring asshole, but someone who remembers your name and goes the extra mile himself to do everything to improve.
I don't think that would turn a shitbox into the class of the field, and it can't counteract bad top level management, but it can give you an edge.

Nothing indicates that Alonso didn't do this at Ferrari, bar maybe the last year.

Not to mention that these are Italians, there is no way that they even need the extra motivation to build a championship winning Ferrari F1 car.

This seems more like fans of Vettel trying to push him into a Schumacher-esque figure than it actually being the case.

This seems more like fans of Vettel trying to push him into a Schumacher-esque figure than it actually being the case.

Ehh... he's well renowned for going the extra mile when it comes to the team / testing / development. I don't think it's unwarranted that people bring it up.

Vettel's main problem is that he goes to shit when the car doesn't suit him. He's next to useless in that situation.

Verstappen also gave the same just now. Good to see drivers doing this.

I was wondering if that might set the donation level for F1 drivers.

Jibbed

Billy Monger's now awake from his induced coma and is already trying to figure out how he will use hand controls in a racing car.

What a guy!

dakun

Billy Monger's now awake from his induced coma and is already trying to figure out how he will use hand controls in a racing car.

What a guy!

That's great. I got to say the accomplishments of Zanardi (and all Paralympics contestants) had to have a huge impact on people (especially athletes) that go through the same thing.

In times of despair these people can surely lift their spirits.

Schumi brought a lot of key personnel from Benetton with him.

Vettel would never be able to pry Newey away from Red Bull.

frontieruk

Was all over the British press today.

already at £583k

That'll not only help him get the help he is going to need but also probably help him carry on racing a bit.

Hamilton has also taken to social media to promote the JustGiving page set up to support the young driver, who attended The Priory CofE School, Dorking and Sandcross Primary, Reigate.

That's all I've seen about Hamilton, no donations as such just raising awareness of the Campaign

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'll be attending my first F1 race live in June, can't wait. Tickets actually look cool too.

Me and my father going

Woah you got them already! I am considering driving up to Montreal from New York as well, but I will be on vacation out of the country the week before so I will be tired as heck.

Yolo I guess.

torontoml

Woah you got them already! I am considering driving up to Montreal from New York as well, but I will be on vacation out of the country the week before so I will be tired as heck.

Yolo I guess.
Well my father has them but yeah, he is on the other side of the country though. they are going to send me my tickets since I planned my flights to get in Friday morning.

Grug

Not at the top of my charity priorities but it's really heartening to see the racing fraternity looking after their own - that's the way it should be.

Helmut Marko pulling a Ferrari yet again and threatening to leave the sport, if they don't get what they want.

When asked about Red Bull's current situation, Marko told the official F1 website: "The latest must be 2021 that an independent engine supplier comes into F1. This is more than necessary.

"And the engine has to be simple, noisy and on the cost side below 10 million.

"We are talking about a much less sophisticated engine to what we have now – a simple racing engine. There are enough companies around that could supply [such an engine].

"So we expect from the new owners [Liberty Media] together with the FIA to find a solution at the latest by the end of this season. If that doesn't happen our stay in F1 is not secured."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/352171/red-bull-could-leave-over-engine-rules/

That said, an independent engine manufacturer might be good for the sport.

Zaru

Only if it produces good affordable engines.
If it's not a threat to the best engines then Marko won't be happy either, and if it is, then the engine manufacturers might bitch about it.
Who would build such a thing? It's crazy expensive to make these current hybrids, and considering how many years Renault has been playing catch-up now (let's not even speak about Honda), it's unlikely that anyone would volunteer unless the others are forced to share knowledge/technology.

Mohonky

Helmut Marko pulling a Ferrari yet again and threatening to leave the sport, if they don't get what they want.

When asked about Red Bull's current situation, Marko told the official F1 website: "The latest must be 2021 that an independent engine supplier comes into F1. This is more than necessary.

"And the engine has to be simple, noisy and on the cost side below 10 million.

"We are talking about a much less sophisticated engine to what we have now – a simple racing engine. There are enough companies around that could supply [such an engine].

"So we expect from the new owners [Liberty Media] together with the FIA to find a solution at the latest by the end of this season. If that doesn't happen our stay in F1 is not secured."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/352171/red-bull-could-leave-over-engine-rules/

He's such a moron.

"We're not winning, if you dont do something about that we're leaving!"

Why dont we have a control chasis as well? Maybe every team should also have a controlled budget while we're at it. Bet he wouldnt be so quick to jump on those.

Control engines are useless, F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of drivers and technology. Going back to all internal combustion engines is a step backward, the future of cars are hybrids. We're already seeing that trickle down now and its going to be more and more evident in the near future. What point is thee is going backward, competition breeds innovation, thata the entire point. If you dont like being a customer, make your own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They'd only whine if the third party engine wasn't the strongest out of all the engines anyway.

I assume he is suggesting a single make engine for all car, which is the only way it'd be meaningful. And which would be unthinkable with most teams - including Red Bull a couple of years ago.

They're strong with aero so they would be happy to see the engine side get neutralised by moving to a common platform. Perhaps someone should suggest a common aero package and see how he reacts?

I didn't get that from what he said. It sounded like "in addition to" not "to replace" the other engine manufacturers.

My assumption would be that multiple teams can then use engines without any being the "factory" team. But you're right, it would make more sense if it was one manufacturer only...

...but fuck that.

Massa

He's probably just following the Bernie motto of proposing something insane so that the compromise everyone agrees on is exactly what he wants.

chadskin

He's probably just following the Bernie motto of proposing something insane so that the compromise everyone agrees on is exactly what he wants.

F1 should mess with the weather and create artificial rain clouds.

What's that? Sprinklers? Hmmm, I don't knoooow ... Weeeeell, alriiiight, fine, I can live with that I guess. *chuckles ecclestonely*

I assume he wants someone like Cosworth back, who left the sport with the introduction of the Hybrid V6 spec due to costs. But you guys are right in that he won't be happy, if it performs like the last Cosworth V8s.

Zaru

F1 should mess with the weather and create artificial rain clouds.

To be fair, if each team were allowed to control the weather for a dedicated amount of time every race given that they develop the technical means to do so, we'd have rain-on-demand by season 3 and targeted lightning strikes by season 5.
Never underestimate F1 engineering.

Razgreez

To be fair, if each team were allowed to control the weather for a dedicated amount of time every race given that they develop the technical means to do so, we'd have rain-on-demand by season 3 and targeted lightning strikes by season 5.
Never underestimate F1 engineering.

The technology required for the eradication of drought is but a few theoretical F1 seasons away. Bernie knows

Kyougar

Just imagine that Dennis wouldn't vetoed engine deal between Honda and RBR.

We would get a whole damned reality show :D

I think that would have 2 possible outcomes:

1. Honda would be better because RBR wouldnt give a shit about japanese corporate culture and would demand they get their shit together ASAP. They dont need Honda money to function.
2. Honda would have quit after 2 to 3 years of RBR bitching.

DBT85

I just like that RB have the balls to think they are as important to the sport as Ferrari think they are.

RBR going to leave unless they get their own way? After they got their own way on the new aero regs and couldn't make a fast car?

byebitch.jif

Jezbollah

I've got an idea for a good standard engine. How about a 2.4l V8? :)

(and Hybrids are not the future of road cars, electric is - and we have Formula E to showcase that).

DBT85

I've got an idea for a good standard engine. How about a 2.4l V8? :)

(and Hybrids are not the future of road cars, electric is - and we have Formula E to showcase that).

That surely depends on how far into the future you're looking. If you're looking that far then electric robo race is all that matters.

Hybrid is going to sell a lot of cars over the next 15 years before electric cars on the whole have better range and less of them look shit. Hybrid is also giving us things like the 918, the only Porsche I've ever liked, The Ferrari The Ferrari, etc. For the engine manufacturers, hybrid is going to be huge. Better MPG, lower emissions, less carbon, diseasals hopefully dying off, more power.

Don;t get me wrong, I'd love to hear the cars scream again too, but I don;t think they'll ditch it all, maybe ditch the turbos.

Jezbollah

Well, technically the last few years of V8s were Hybrid, with ERS. I certainly think that a stadardized ERS with a 2.4l V8 would be a much more appealing formula to both current makers and potential new makers to replace V6 Hybrids. And if the makers want to showcase Hybrids, let them enter WEC..

Lima

I mean you have fans and drivers that want V8 or V10 back. Who gives a shit if hybrids are the future when the complicated R&D and manufacturing is stopping companies from getting into F1.

And don't even give me the bullshit like Todd about how F1 needs to be more green and generate less emissions.

DBT85

And don't even give me the bullshit like Todd about how F1 needs to be more green and generate less emissions.

The rhetoric has been that the sponsors want the sport to look greener. We all know that the actual racing isn;t that bad at all, its getting everyone all over the world thats really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom