• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

Where did I say that only Mercedes should have a say at the regulations?

You said they should keep their opinion to themselves, because their opinion is irrelevant because they haven't won a championship in the last 3-4 years. The only team who has done so is Mercedes. Thus: Only I inferred that the only opinion on the matter you accept is of Mercedes...

Fun fact: Paul Tracy, the commentator in the blue tie, tested for Benetton in the mid-90s. He was several seconds behind Schumacher, but apparently the car was never set up for Tracy.

Video, if you've never seen it.

It always made me laugh because physically, Michael looks like a different species. I love Paul though, and does he do a great job on TV or what? I'd love to see him call some F1 races.

EDIT: I don't know why you guys can't handle joke posts. Just let your hair down, and laugh a bit.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Still not providing sources. Surely these esteemed magazines have websites we could run google translate on. If needed, I can prod some people I know for a proper translation too.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Video, if you've never seen it.

It always made me laugh because physically, Michael looks like a different species. I love Paul though, and does he do a great job on TV or what? I'd love to see him call some F1 races.

EDIT: I don't know why you guys can't handle joke posts. Just let your hair down, and laugh a bit.

Tracy is a great commentator, he gives good insight and makes some pretty funny quips from time to time.

Lach

It's very interesting what will happen next year. If McLaren drops Honda engines and they stay only with Sauber they'll look even more like a joke than now (and that'll be an achievement).

But if McLaren drops them, the rule of irony states that they will be the best engine next year!

Spladam

Sauber emerged as the frontrunner, particularly given it was growing increasingly frustrated with supplier Ferrari regarding performance and unreliability.
So the solution to this is to switch to Honda? They must be getting a really good deal somehow.
But if McLaren drops them, the rule of irony states that they will be the best engine next year!

Been predicting this for a while, as soon as McLaren drops them, their engines become amazing super performers.

Remember BMW? Sometimes it's easier to handle a smaller team.

Could Honda justify spending tens if not hundreds of millions just for Sauber? Doubt it. Plus BMW was relatively close to the Sauber HQ, so synergies etc etc.

I think the whole "Mclaren talking to Merc for engines" was just a pressuring tactic so Honda could wake the fuck up. This is the PU era, can't win without direct factory support, why would Mclaren give it up?

Honda needs more mileage and a second team makes sense.

DBT85

This is the PU era, can't win without direct factory support, why would Mclaren give it up?

Because there is a very real chance that thanks to Honda, McLaren might come 8th, 9th or 10th in this seasons constructors with little signs of improvement going forward. With a Merc engine they could possibly be pushing for 3rd or 4th this year, as we know that McLaren can make a half decent car to rival the likes of Force India and Williams.

Because there is a very real chance that thanks to Honda, McLaren might come 8th, 9th or 10th in this seasons constructors with little signs of improvement going forward. With a Merc engine they could possibly be pushing for 3rd or 4th this year, as we know that McLaren can make a half decent car to rival the likes of Force India and Williams.

That's a risk they take.

That or become a mid-tier team for the foreseeable future.

M52B28

Banned
For those who don't know what the "shield" cockpit protection looks like.

0d49b0736f03c24427ccb70920a3caf9.jpg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128914

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not sure if this works as well as they think.
From the mock ups we've seen it doesn't look like it would be able to protect against a tire or other parts.

Yeah, I don't think it'd protect in cases like Henry Surtees or Justin Wilson, where the debris came from above.

BigAl1992

From the mock ups we've seen it doesn't look like it would be able to protect against a tire or other parts.

Yeah, I don't think it'd protect in cases like Henry Surtees or Justin Wilson, where the debris came from above.

I think they're too focused on frontal impacts, ala Bianchi :/

From what I can gather from looking at the "shield" concept, the only way it could prevent a situation similar to Surtees or Wilson is if the removable head rests around the driver in the cockpit attached to the shield via struts that locked on to the shield, without hampering the driver's vision. Basically like a cockpit canopy with the top and side panels removed. As much as I like the "Shield" concept and would support its implementation into F1, there's head protection in the world that would've saved Bianchi short of missing the digger entirely. The G-Force alone was enough to kill him, even if his head didn't hit the damn thing in the first place.

itsgreen

Spa 2012 or what was it. Nearly had a decapitated Alonso, still hold my breath seeing those replays..

At the speeds race cars travel, essentially nothing falls from above. It would be very glancing if the timing happened to be perfect. Anything that could kill you would be coming from the front. The debris that hit Surtees and Wilson both appeared to strike the front of their cars first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom