• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I dunno. Looks like right on the head (see slo-mo) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbwyZBJ7Ow

rBRW27C.png

"Shield" would have deflected it if it could have withstood the hit, which I'm not sure it could have...

I don't know if they're going to be able to build something aesthetically pleasing, but to that kind of spec. That's fine though. I think flying pieces of body work are far more likely to happen. Barber Indy Car race anyone? It's almost an epidemic in that series right now.

Zaru

Improved wheel thethers had a much, much bigger influence on reducing tyre-related incidents and they made zero visual difference.

Xando

From what I can gather from looking at the "shield" concept, the only way it could prevent a situation similar to Surtees or Wilson is if the removable head rests around the driver in the cockpit attached to the shield via struts that locked on to the shield, without hampering the driver's vision. Basically like a cockpit canopy with the top and side panels removed. As much as I like the "Shield" concept and would support its implementation into F1, there's head protection in the world that would've saved Bianchi short of missing the digger entirely. The G-Force alone was enough to kill him, even if his head didn't hit the damn thing in the first place.
I also like the idea of the shield(so much better than that ugly halo). All i'm saying is that from what we've seen it would probably be better if it was a bit higher and a bit longer to make sure objects(mostly tires) won't be able to hit the drivers head.

Jibbed

I think 'would've saved X, wouldn't have saved Y' is the wrong approach to take with these safety devices.

The FIA will choose the option that performs best across all possible scenarios, and if the shield seems like a better option than the halo to them, they'll have sound reasoning behind it. It has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the device.

I think 'would've saved X, wouldn't have saved Y' is the wrong approach to take with these safety devices.

The FIA will choose the option that performs best across all possible scenarios, and if the shield seems like a better option than the halo to them, they'll have sound reasoning behind it. It has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the device.
I always try not to say this given the circumstances but Bianchi actually would still be alive if he applied more of the brake pedal.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I wonder about the effectiveness of the shield against cockpit intrusions by another car. With the return of low noses, if someone were to rear end another at speed, would it not just result in the car launching itself into the driver? I recall these two close calls in CART with low-nosed cars.

The first video shows a head-on collision, resulting in one car launching over and resting on top of another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwIrMnKD_b4

The second video shows a rear-end collision with the rear-ended car launching over the cockpit:
https://youtu.be/ITQArPEKTYY?t=7m59s

With how exposed a drivers head can be, it was very lucky these incidents ended as well as they did. Would the shield be able to better deflect a car away from the cockpit area?

DBT85

I always try not to say this given the circumstances but Bianchi actually would still be alive if he applied more of the brake pedal.

A whole lot of things should have been different about that accident.

That vehicle shouldn't have been on the track under just yellow flags.
The drivers we're allowed to just "lift" under yellows which means they all did the minimum possible.
There was no VSC at the time and race control were reluctant to SC the race.

I still don't get why they won't just put a canopy on. Yes, the driver can't get out as fast. The reason they have the rule about the driver getting out fast is because drivers used to get cooked in the car when the fuel tanks ruptured, something that hasn't happened a single time since the new tanks were introduced.

A whole lot of things should have been different about that accident.

That vehicle shouldn't have been on the track under just yellow flags.
The drivers we're allowed to just "lift" under yellows which means they all did the minimum possible.
There was no VSC at the time and race control were reluctant to SC the race.

I still don't get why they won't just put a canopy on. Yes, the driver can't get out as fast. The reason they have the rule about the driver getting out fast is because drivers used to get cooked in the car when the fuel tanks ruptured, something that hasn't happened a single time since the new tanks were introduced.
They'd probably have to put F-16 canopy's on the cars and even then I'm not sure he would've survived that crash.

Zaru

Considering how the accident ripped the roll structure off the car, I'm surprised Bianchi's head was even attached at that point, let alone him being alive (granted, it's not made to withstand horizontal impact)

YourMaster

What evidence do you have that safety in a crash is the only consideration they had? And what evidence do you have that any possible reasoning is sound and not flawed and or misguided? It might be so, but even organizations you know from TV can make mistakes.

Besides, if a device affects visibility, it may cause additional accidents, which counteracts any benefits of said safety device.

DBT85

They'd probably have to put F-16 canopy's on the cars and even then I'm not sure he would've survived that crash.

I'm sure the canopy probably wouldn't have in that instance, but then the VSC which is now is use would have, as he wouldn't have been going as fast in the first place.

I'm sure the canopy probably wouldn't have in that instance, but then the VSC which is now is use would have, as he wouldn't have been going as fast in the first place.
Yeah the second part makes the most sense. I don't think he would've survived that impact regardless of what safety solution they used, he died from his brain getting smashed into his skull from the G forces more than anything else.

Because a single one costs close to 100k.
Everybody gets two except Sauber...then again who knows how often they would need to be replaced during the season.
They raise the issue of deflected debris being launched into the air, putting the public and marshals at risk.
This makes way more sense, shit. Wouldn't want an unprotected marshall or audience member getting a spring to the head.

DBT85

Also doesn't the main worry of a closed canopy a driver getting stuck inside their vehicle during a fire?

That is a large part of why they don;t want to do it, because they have a rule about how fast a driver has to be able to get out of the car unaided.

But F1 cars don't go up in flames like they used to.

That is a large part of why they don;t want to do it, because they have a rule about how fast a driver has to be able to get out of the car unaided.

But F1 cars don't go up in flames like they used to.

Its kind of a silly rule really.

The cars dont just explode in to flames like they used to anymore, there is a million marshals everywhere, the pods where the drivers actually sit are way stronger, really they are WAY WAY WAY more in danger of shit flying around and hitting them in the head, than getting in a crash, flipping over AND catching on fire all at the same time, which is kind of the only situation that a full canopy would be more dangerous.

acm2000

you really cant account for freak accidents (massa) or driver stupidity (bianchi)

motorsport is a risk, and always will be a risk.

sensible compromises need to be made and a wind shield of some kind is such a compromise.

Zaru

I'm wondering who will have the first points-destroying incident this year - Hamilton or Vettel.
It's all close and equal until someone has a mechanical DNF or gets crashed out by some madman (or worse, by their own fault)

Kyougar

I'm wondering who will have the first points-destroying incident this year - Hamilton or Vettel.
It's all close and equal until someone has a mechanical DNF or gets crashed out by some madman (or worse, by their own fault)

the one who is near Stroll in the start ;)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
New Monster Energy drink type, labeled '44' (after Lewis) will be hitting shelves before the summer in Europe. I wonder if it will be as good as Rossi edition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom