• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

The one thing I enjoyed from that weird Top Gear interview with Bernie was how candid he was about F1, and how it has too many rules and regulations and is no longer about the drivers but the engineers, shame he didn't do anything why he was there.

chadskin

Good stuff, the top teams will blow through 5 units every weekend and the small teams will have to fire their entire hospitality staff to be able to afford the new units with terrible reliability.

I meant a fine for the engine manufacturer, not the affected team. Which is why it'd need to be a sum high enough to force manufacturers to improve reliability and low enough to not scare them away.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If Alonso wins a F1 race this year, I'll change my avatar to PewDiePie.

B-b-but it's only this evil Spaniard Alonso shitting on Honda for no reason with his exaggerated radio comments.

Two total degenerates.

Smh.

I thought they found the error during testing when he did 80 laps

The MGU-H didn't fail, the shaft connecting the MGU-K to the engine did, in the Japanese postings this morning they mentioned this shaft is where they're suffering from the minor vibrations.

DBT85

I meant a fine for the engine manufacturer, not the affected team. Which is why it'd need to be a sum high enough to force manufacturers to improve reliability and low enough to not scare them away.

So again, Mercedes and Ferrari, Renault and Honda can all say "our thing broke, we'll pay the fine" and just use new parts and run them at higher loads. While Williams can't because Mercedes will say its not broken in the first place. Financial penalties for teams that are spending like £400m need to be huge to get them to take notice.

According to Red Bull it's 5-7 tenths.

I'm oddly disinclined to believe much that comes out of Snivelus Horner or Moaning Marko.

Zeknurn

Stolen from reddit.

CXdV4KU.png

DBT85

They mostly reuse those parts though, that table doesn't really tell the whole story.

Not the whole story no, but you can't introduce an upgrade on a used part. So for example, if tomorrow all 4 manufacturers were to make brand new upgraded parts for all 6 components, only Hamilton, Perez and Stroll would get 3 whole brand new PUs with all the upgrades. Vandoorne in contrast now cannot take a newly designed Turbo or MGH without taking a penalty. Vettel and Kimi can only take 1 upgraded Turbo.

For Ferrari, it certainly appears that they have a Turbo issue that they would want to fix.

That's why you don't change the parts unless you have to as it limits you later in the season bringing upgraded PU parts.

This is not where you want to be after 3 completed races and 2 practise sessions from the 4th.

Didn't look at it that way. Ferrari had better make hay whilst the sun shines, because they'll be looking at a whole bunch of "third place at best" finishes later in the season.

h3ro

Yeah, power unit reliability its going to have its say on this years championship too.
You could say that for most seasons though. Imagine what Kimi's resume would look like if Merc-Ilmor lump stayed in one piece during a race. McLarens and engines, ya know.

Dilly

Banned
How long will this 'Ferrari is going to fuck up!' Keep going on? They're probably going to win again this weekend, possibly from pole position.

I mean, they would've won 3 races with a bit of luck.

Zeknurn

Code:
[IMG]https://i.redd.it/khlrcmsl1guy.jpg[/IMG]

How long will this 'Ferrari is going to fuck up!' Keep going on? They're probably going to win again this weekend, possibly from pole position.

I mean, they would've won 3 races with a bit of luck.

When Ferrari has proven that their in-season development doesn't move them backwards.

Qronicle

Solution for the punishment for using too many engines:
Let the teams choose whether to take a grid penalty or pay a fine. The fine would be pretty hefty and go to the three last teams in the constructor standings.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Formula 3 Monza Race 1 Results:

1) Lando Norris
2) Jehan Deruvala
3) Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg

Zeknurn

FOM sure likes making reaction gifs of Toto & Lauda.

Solution for the punishment for using too many engines:
Let the teams choose whether to take a grid penalty or pay a fine. The fine would be pretty hefty and go to the three last teams in the constructor standings.

The point of a punishment is that it should be equal to everyone. Your suggestion would let the top three teams get off scot-free by paying some insignificant fine while it not being an option for everyone else.

edit: The Merc looks rough tbh.

Zeknurn

So brotkasten, lets hand shake the bet?

Same conditions:
Ferrari on pole or race win.
Loser gets Maldonado for two weeks.

Still think Merc will take pole.

I'm changing to a Maldonado avatar if anyone else takes it.

I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to bet against Mercs oil burning quali mode. ;)

So brotkasten, lets hand shake the bet?

Same conditions:
Ferrari on pole or race win.
Loser gets Maldonado for two weeks.

I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to bet against Mercs oil burning quali mode. ;)
Of course! I thought this was a sure thing already

PdotMichael joined in on the fun, too. If Vettel gets either, I get the avatar for three weeks.

Zeknurn

Just making sure and I thought I'd give you a way out since you might have realised that you've already lost.

edit: Lee and Chandok paddock walk is quickly becoming my favourite thing in pre-race coverage.

John_B

So what happened? Mercedes was positive coming out of the Bahrain test and everyone was saying Sochi was ideal for Mercedes.

Just making sure and I thought I'd give you a way out since you might have realised that you've already lost.

edit: Lee and Chandok paddock walk is quickly becoming my favourite thing in pre-race coverage.

That's really nice, but it would be silly to back down now. I'm a man of most of my words, after all!

Xando

Let's wait until after Q3 before asking "what happened"

To be fair long runs weren't exactly looking pretty for mercedes either yesterday.

They might have their magical Q3 mode but they seem to be struggling on the tires for some reason (especially hamilton).

Bottas even looks somehow stronger than Lewis this weekend.

Though that wouldn't matter that much becase Hamilton sure doesn't care about his he doesn't want team orders talk in the past.

illamap

Bottas even looks somehow stronger than Lewis this weekend.

Though that wouldn't matter that much becase Hamilton sure doesn't care about his he doesn't want team orders talk in the past.

Well he has said he considers socchi his hometrack. Shame Kimi seems to be still 0.3s behind Vettel probably more on quali.

BigAl1992

What the fuck did I just hear on C4? Was Eddie Jordan just making a Crystal Ball prediction, or did he just announce McLaren getting a Mercedes engine next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom