• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean pens letter to Grammy producers, annihilating them in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS3

Too much salt is bad for you, Frankie.

Blonde was trash too

What

lol he's petty af. 1989 deserved AOTY. This isn't one of those situations

WHAT

Jon-Dore-Cries-and-Leaves.gif

Volimar

It's nice to see someone being proud of their work without coming off as an arrogant jackass.

1989 was a great album

ZeoVGM

Banned

"Novacane" was not a "huge" hit.

The song peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 at position 82.[27] The song also charted at position 6 on the Billboard Heatseekers Songs chart and 17 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.

Frank Ocean is not a mainstream artist.

Most people have no idea who he is and have never heard those songs.

That's not relevant to their quality of course. He's brilliant. But not knowing Frank Ocean is not even remotely strange.

daffy

Banned
1989 -> every song except New Romantics
TPAB -> Mortal Man, Blacker the Berry, Alright....

Sorry guys 1989 was a cultural milestone. TPAB was an interesting, thought provoking project. imo

The only reason this complaint works is because it points out that the Grammys don't pick the actual best album over the commercial hit, but to think that this is a new thing is weird.
Well they gave Beck's Morning Phase AOTY and that album was certainly not as good, comercially or critically, as BEYONCE. They've made weird decisions.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Sorry guys 1989 was a cultural milestone. TPAB was an interesting, thought provoking project. imo

Well they gave Beck's Morning Phase AOTY and that album was certainly not as good, comercially or critically, as BEYONCE. They've made weird decisions.

Morning Phase was definitely a better album than Beyonce though.

Laekon

Well, this is in response to those producers claiming Frank's just mad at the Grammys for letting him "fail" on stage with his 2013 performance.

It sounds really pompous of them to claim his vision was faulty just because he didn't take their advice. And this is a clapback to that.

They didn't say his vision was faulty because he didn't listen to them, they are saying his performance was bad because he didn't listen to them and went with his vision. After watching it I would agree that the performance was bad but who knows if they would have done better.

Beyond the fact the song is just plain stupid.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So weird. The Grammys is the Oscars. A popularity contest for modeling quality stiff that the establishment likes.

Always has been.

Of course Kendrick is better than Tay. But that's literally beside the point.

effzee

Which award shows are actually good? Grammys sucks. AMA, VMA, Iheart?

People bitch that these awards don't mean anything but then bitch when people they think should win don't.

It's like getting worked over end of year lists or who is in someone's top 10. Who cares?

Just watch the performances

MrS

Banned
Yeah it was definitely one of Beck's best albums. I'd say it was better than the competition. I just don't think it was as significant as BEYONCE.
Beyonce's music is insignificant. It's throwaway. In 50 years nobody will give a fuck about it.

you should swap those two albums around and it'd be correct

i consider 1989 a solid 8 but TPAB is another level

if you consider it on pure pop though which is what the grammies measures, 1989 would win no matter what but as a cohesive project and artwork? TPAB no question

Marquis

Banned
It wasn't even nominated, shit got me heated.

Yeah like c'mon Rap Album of The Year is cool and all but that album was just something different. It was more then rap entirely. Album is iconic and will ultimately go down as one of the best albums ever made.

MrS

Banned
... I'm not even hating on Beyonce but Morning Phase is amazing.
I know, I agree with you. Beyonce isn't capable of making a better album than Beck. She lacks the artistry. Her army of songwriters aren't on Beck's level.

Everyone on this board, but to the average citizen, it is a prestigious honor.
I feel like there's a cultural consensus that the Grammys are bullshit, more so than other awards. I recall The Simpsons mocking them on the regular bake in the day, in a way you don't see with Emmys/Tonys/Oscars etc.

They're on the same level as the Golden Globes. Which is to say, presumed as corrupt.

Taylor Swift's music is catchy but insignificant in its meaning

Kendrick Lamar's music is significant, it's memorable, it tells a story.

Dylan

You know what's dumb? Thinking anyone can objectively compare any music.

It's entirely subjective.

As someone who has listened to mostly non-popular music for my entire life, with zero of the artists I thought were great ever getting any recognition, let alone an award, I really don't see the value in having the ceremony at all, let alone arguing about who should have won whichever award.

daffy

Banned
Beyonce's music is insignificant. It's throwaway. In 50 years nobody will give a fuck about it.
Nah. Everything from the stealth release, the music video album concept, and the lyrical content that led to her follow up will be widely discussed compared to Beck's. But to each their own.

you should swap those two albums around and it'd be correct

i consider 1989 a solid 8 but TPAB is another level

if you consider it on pure pop though which is what the grammies measures, 1989 would win no matter what but as a cohesive project and artwork? TPAB no question
1989 was all I heard for almost the entire year whereas Kendrick did not even perform a good chunk of his album on tour. It just seemed like there was not nearly a following for it as there should have been. Both albums deserved to win but its no shock to see 1989 win. It certainly wasn't as glaring a loss as M.a.a.d.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I know, I agree with you. Beyonce isn't capable of making a better album than Beck. She lacks the artistry. Her army of songwriters aren't on Beck's level.

Oh, I apologize. I thought you were calling me a troll.

Lemonade is pretty fantastic.

MrS

Banned
Taylor Swift's music is catchy but insignificant in its meaning

Kendrick Lamar's music is significant, it's memorable, it tells a story.
Are you sure? I thought he was just saying alright over and over and foolishly talking about a God that doesn't exist.

hughesta

Banned
lol at saying Beyonce won't be remembered in a thread about Taylor Swift

ok I am laughing out loud at the above post

EulaCapra

Little boys and girls: "Ooh! I love Shake It Off! Yay!"

Gaffers: "To Pimp a Butterfly is better than that shit you listen to."

Little boys and girls: "LOL. You look funny when your face turns red and your head gets veiny."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom