• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean pens letter to Grammy producers, annihilating them in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure? I thought he was just saying alright over and over and foolishly talking about a God that doesn't exist.

i'm not surprised you don't know this but there are actually 16 songs on TPAB and "alright" is only one of them.

(and it's not even kendrick saying "we gon be alright" in the chorus of that song. most of the time it's a different person saying it.)

you're super cool though, especially because you don't believe in god. it sucks my opinions are so shitty compared to yours.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Are you sure? I thought he was just saying alright over and over and foolishly talking about a God that doesn't exist.

.....What

Grammys confuse me. One minutes it's a popularity contest and the next they give it to beck

Make up your mind fam

Ivan 3414

This would almost pass as sincere if you didn't take the contrary opinion on nearly every artist mentioned in this thread

Maengun1

Arguments about music/the grammys always come across as sorta pointless to me. I mean yeah, the grammys suck and always have. That's obvious. And they're also eternally white af and baby boomer focused af. But the entire concept of the grammys is far more useless than, say, the oscars IMO, simply because the sheer volume and variety of music released is so overwhelming and because the subjectiveness of what makes good music is so much higher.

I don't think someone is dumb or wrong if they prefer Taylor Swift to Frank Ocean? I think Taylor Swift is bland, not my thing. Buttttt I didn't like Blond either tbh, it wasn't my thing either, but I'm not gonna say either sucks. To Pimp A Butterfly was great but it wasn't my favorite album of its year so it's hard for me to get upset it lost. It's more ~relevant~ than 1989 but, again, grammys gonna grammy.... It would honestly be more productive to get people to simply stop paying attention to the grammys than to expect the grammys to magically change into a bastion of artistic achievement.

Not sure what I would pick to win best album for 2016, probably something like A Moon Shaped Pool or 22, A Million. I don't think either is nominated. I know Lemonade and 25 are, and Lemonade is better but 25 will probably win and people will be surprised somehow.

"Bloodborne was robbed"

Wow, annihilation!
Reading is a helpful skill. Try applying it.

It's a clapback to people throwing him under the bus and completely misunderstanding his original reason for not submitting his album; the Grammys doesn't recognize young black artists for their craft.

To put it in terms you'll get, it'd be like if an award show, claiming itself as the most prestigious one, had a history of mainly awarding JRPGs with best RPG, every now and then you'd get a Western RPG that'd win but those winners would only be big budget WRPGs. Very very very rarely, you'd get indie RPGs winning.

The Grammys mainly awards AOTYs to Caucasian artists, with only 12 wins going to African American artists out of 57. Out of those 12, 2 of those have gone to non-legacy artists or artists who had released 5+ albums; Lionel Richie with his second studio album and Lauryn Hill for her debut. You can't really say it's because there weren't any albums to be nominated, it's just that Grammys don't care. So, when you have a system that doesn't recognize Young Black Artists for its highest honor, try to protest it by not submitting your own critically acclaimed work, and then have people spin that as you being salty about your performance, you gotta clap back and clap back hard.

Now that was crazy. Good Kid is amazing and without question a better album.

(I do stand by that Macklemore album being legitimately good though.)

Everyone should listen to This Unruly Mess I Have Made.

Not because it's a good album - because it's really, really not. But it's a fascinating one.

MrS

Banned
This would almost pass as sincere if you didn't take the contrary opinion on nearly every artist mentioned in this thread
I like Frank Ocean and Beck. I dislike Taylor Swift and Beyonce. Kendrick is decent but overrated. TPAB ain't all that.

Jay Z boycotted the Grammy's for their treatment of Hip Hop artists until 04 when Beyoncé started going.
Edit: Didn't go in 11 or 12 either.

Demoskinos

I love frank Ocean and I totally agree when he says he's one of the best alive but I don't know why he wrote this. He sounds salty as fuck.

Totally. Also he says how TV awards don't matter and then proceeds to get salty about 1989 winning over to pimp a butterfly. In a year I might add that Kendrick fucking cleaned up more than any other person.

daffy

Banned
Not sure what I would pick to win best album for 2016, probably something like A Moon Shaped Pool or 22, A Million. I don't think either is nominated. I know Lemonade and 25 are, and Lemonade is better but 25 will probably win and people will be surprised somehow.
I feel like 25 and Lemonade are pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't be stunned at either of those winning. I personally liked Lemonade more.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
1989 -> every song except New Romantics
TPAB -> Mortal Man, Blacker the Berry, Alright....

Sorry guys 1989 was a cultural milestone. TPAB was an interesting, thought provoking project. imo

Well they gave Beck's Morning Phase AOTY and that album was certainly not as good, comercially or critically, as BEYONCE. They've made weird decisions.
Nah, 1989 was a marketing blitz with a good story. I mean, "Shake it Off" doesn't even have a decent bridge and people acted like it was a perfect pop song as though they have never heard a good pop song.

I honestly can't think of a track on that thing that feels even remotely remarkable and it didn't come out that long ago.

Dylan

Reading is a helpful skill. Try applying it.

It's a clapback to people throwing him under the bus and completely misunderstanding his original reason for not submitting his album; the Grammys doesn't recognize young black artists for their craft.

To put it in terms you'll get, it'd be like if an award show, claiming itself as the most prestigious one, had a history of mainly awarding JRPGs with best RPG, every now and then you'd get a Western RPG that'd win but those winners would only be big budget WRPGs. Very very very rarely, you'd get indie RPGs winning.

The Grammys mainly awards AOTYs to Caucasian artists, with only 12 wins going to African American artists out of 57. Out of those 12, 2 of those have gone to non-legacy artists or artists who had released 5+ albums; Lionel Richie with his second studio album and Lauryn Hill for her debut. You can't really say it's because there weren't any albums to be nominated, it's just that Grammys don't care. So, when you have a system that doesn't recognize Young Black Artists for its highest honor, try to protest it by not submitting your own critically acclaimed work, and then have people spin that as you being salty about your performance, you gotta clap back and clap back hard.

There are countless genres of music not recognized by the Grammys.

Nah, 1989 was a marketing blitz with a good story. I mean, "Shake it Off" doesn't even have a decent bridge and people acted like it was a perfect pop song as though they have never heard a good pop song.

I honestly can't think of a track on that thing that feels even remotely remarkable and it didn't come out that long ago.

Clean, How you get the girl, wonderland are 10/10 pop songs. Listen again ;)

njean777

Grammys are garbage and have been for years (Kanye/metalcore/deathcore/almost everything fan here). TPAB deserved the album of the year, but unfortunately albums with shit to say and actual substance don't usually win the grammy. I like 1989, but it isn't anywhere near Kendrick level. So props to Frank for calling these frauds out. They care about mainstream stuff and never have cared for something different when it comes to AOTY.

njean777

Totally. Also he says how TV awards don't matter and then proceeds to get salty about 1989 winning over to pimp a butterfly. In a year I might add that Kendrick fucking cleaned up more than any other person.

Wait wait wait wait, how? His older stuff is far more mainstream leaning than his new stuff. I like TPAB but Section 80 (which appeals to a more mainstream audience) is way more in my rotation then TPAB.

There are countless genres of music not recognized by the Grammys.
What does that have to do with anything?

This isn't me complaining that R&B doesn't win or rap doesn't win (although both are prescient), this is me saying that the Grammys do not recognize the music of young black artists; the same black artists that give the rest of America its turn up music, its memes, its influence are the same black artists who don't get the recognition they deserve for the effect they have on popular music.

spelen

it's too bad he never does any live performances would make his hate for the Grammies less painful. and yea TPAB was snubbed but at the same time he won the most awards that year (I think). plus, the producers don't exactly pick winners so I think his anger is slightly off base.

I can't take dude serious with that "to pimp a butterfly" should have won. He can ignore the Grammys all he wants and call it "stupid tv awards" end of the day most artist strive to get one. So yeah, I guess bravo?

conpfreak

I posted about this in the Blonde thread, but I'll say it again to rebut his GOAT claim:

Frank Ocean is definitely a talented artist in his own lane, but he isn't the GOAT of anything. His songwriting skills are unmatched by his R&B/Alt/Pop contemporaries and he pulls together great production for his sound, but other than that, it's currently being done better elsewhere. I hate how he justifies his decision to not participate in the Prince tribute (which he would be great for) by citing things that he planned to do for himself and his career anyway whether had Prince passed or not.

Blonde and Endless were mediocre efforts. Incredible songwriting and production, but poorly executed albums. Can't be GOAT when Solange comes of nowhere and shits on your efforts for the year. No shade to Solange.

And I have a feeling Frank still isn't over his bad Grammy performance. Anyone with YouTube can see the rehearsal clip for that performance and know something went wrong with the actual performance. He's also usually excellent live. Why sweat one bad performance years later?

LionPride

Banned
I posted about this in the Blonde thread, but I'll say it again to rebut his GOAT claim:

Frank Ocean is definitely a talented artist in his own lane, but he isn't the GOAT of anything. His songwriting skills are unmatched by his R&B/Alt/Pop contemporaries and he pulls together great production for his sound, but other than that, it's currently being done better elsewhere. I hate how he justifies his decision to not participate in the Prince tribute (which he would be great for) by citing things that he planned to do for himself and his career anyway whether had Prince passed or not.

Blonde and Endless were mediocre efforts. Incredible songwriting and production, but poorly executed albums. Can't be GOAT when Solange comes of nowhere and shits on your efforts for the year. No shade to Solange.

And I have a feeling Frank still isn't over his bad Grammy performance. Anyone with YouTube can see the rehearsal clip for that performance and know something went wrong with the actual performance. He's also usually excellent live. Why sweat one bad performance years later?
A Seat at The Table was the best album of the year, right?

Blonde was number Two

Blonde was an achievement that was better than Channel Orange, better than Malibu, better than Coloring Book, better than Thank You 4 Your Service, better than almost any other album that came out. If that's mediocre, then show me greatness

What does that have to do with anything?

This isn't me complaining that R&B doesn't win or rap doesn't win (although both are prescient), this is me saying that the Grammys do not recognize the music of young black artists; the same black artists that give the rest of America its turn up music, its memes, its influence are the same black artists who don't get the recognition they deserve for the effect they have on popular music.

You already know they don't care about us

Tall4Life

what other Grammy snubs were on the level of to pimp a butterfly not winning?

Rock musicians have been consistently snubbed for like, 50 years. Even when rock was in its glory days it barely won. Radiohead never won album of the year for anything they did... a lot actually. A lot of great albums and bands never got proper "recognition" from the Grammys.

I'm disappointed that he brought 1989 into it. If that album deserved to win or not isn't the point. It's just a shitty thing to do. Taylor Swift didn't do anything except create an album that appeals to the Academy. Also she's good friends with Kendrick and I'm sure would love to see him win too.

Ocean dragging Swift like that just really rubs me the wrong way.

Tall4Life

I'm disappointed that he brought 1989 into it. If that album deserved to win or not isn't the point. It's just a shitty thing to do. Taylor Swift didn't do anything except create an album that appeals to the Academy. Also she's good friends with Kendrick and I'm sure would love to see him win too.

hiss hiss

LionPride

Banned

Why? An album he did not believe deserved to win, won over the album he thought deserved to win. He, much like many other people, said what he felt about which album won.

Justin Bieber received an album of the year nomination. If that doesn't make it clear to you that the Grammys are driven by tv ratings and social media "buzz" nothing will.

Adele will win AOTY and people will be mad. But just as it's not surprising elderly ass white (and black) Grammy voters would prefer 1989 over TPAB, it should be even less surprising they like Adele's album more than Beyonce's.

LionPride

Banned
Justin Bieber received an album of the year nomination. If that doesn't make it clear to you that the Grammys are driven by tv ratings and social media "buzz" nothing will.

Adele will win AOTY and people will be mad. But just as it's not surprising elderly ass white (and black) Grammy voters would prefer 1989 over TPAB, it should be even less surprising they like Adele's album more than Beyonce's.

I mean, Bieber has evolved into an artist making a lot of good music, now while it's not AOTY worthy, it's pretty good

njean777

I mean, Bieber has evolved into an artist making a lot of good music, now while it's not AOTY worthy, it's pretty good

Agree, his newest album was actually pretty good and somewhat personal. Unlike his younger stuff that was just blah (to me at least).

effzee

But this assumes that there is some consensus that Beyonce's album is better than Adele. Both artists are great and either one winning over the other shouldn't get people mad.

Koodo

Banned
Frank is nowhere near the best alive especially in a post-Knowles world, but he didn't lie about noted nazi icon Taylor Swift unjustly winning the AOTY award last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom