• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished season 1, was feeling like I had this game down, then got slapped down by the first group of raiders in 2-1. Oof.

Finished season 1, was feeling like I had this game down, then got slapped down by the first group of raiders in 2-1. Oof.

Small groups of raiders are easier to dispatch in robot form, as their shields are unidirectional and stronger than the imperials shields.

Slide up close and swing for their back side. That way you do permanent damage without having to chew through their shields. And don't forget you can deflect bullets!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Small groups of raiders are easier to dispatch in robot form, as their shields are unidirectional and stronger than the imperials shields.

Slide up close and swing for their back side. That way you do permanent damage without having to chew through their shields. And don't forget you can deflect bullets!
I've got a lot to learn about the mech. Looking forward to tearing into it tomorrow.

danowat

Banned
Wow the jump in difficulty from season 1 to season 2 is no joke. Somebody mentioned that it wasn't worth buying missiles because enemies drop them, but I am literally getting NO missile drops from enemies whatsoever. Fighting 2 or 3 enemies at a time can use up like 6 or 9 missiles so if they don't drop any when they die, that's a serious chunk of my supply gone just on one fight

yup, I read that too, I pretty much get no missle drops either, glad it's not just me!

Tunavi

Banned
Great run I was having to 2-3 until I got one shot by a green mech cannon. :|

And yeah! the laser "upgrade" downgrade is so annoying!

nib95

Banned
Man, I hate it when you pick up a laser upgrade and it's absolute shit.

Big shot is way better than a lot of other shots.

That's a point, what is everyone's favourite weapon type? I like the plasma fire shot with the bounce off walls feature, but I haven't experimented a whole lot.

antitrop

I was slapping Season 3 around on my first try until I got to the boss and he made me look like a fool. I wasn't prepared for the trickiness. It was this part where I realized that trying to aim the grabber claw of the mech can be incredibly frustrating.

Going from the imperials to the void raiders is such a spike in difficulty. Especially after feeling like such a badass by the end of season 1

Oh and it sucks that you lose all your stuff at the end of a season

taoofjord

Just got into Season 3 now. I'm really enjoying the combat but something is keeping me from loving the game as a whole.

The exploration/non-combat part of the game is pretty dull. I know comparing Galak-Z to a game like Spelunky isn't totally fair, but one of the things I love about that game is how you're constantly making important decisions even when you're not engaged with the enemies. In Galak-Z, outside of the combat, there doesn't seem to be much to it. I'd almost prefer the game lessen the exploration and then increase loot drops from the bad guys. Or maybe add another wrinkle or two to the exploration to make it more of a risk/reward scenario. As is, exploring in a game like this isn't particularly interesting, and the levels are all quite same-y and visually uninteresting.

A couple other things:

- The music is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the game's presentation. The sound effect when transforming could use some tweaking too! :)

- I'd love more dialogue variety during the missions. I know the upcoming patch is making the barks less frequent but I'd also like to see more lines added.

That's a point, what is everyone's favourite weapon type? I like the plasma fire shot with the bounce off walls feature, but I haven't experimented a whole lot.

Big shot, auto-fire, assault beam. The core and bounce thing isn't too important. Though I did see an ice core and wonder if that slows down enemies.

I just like doing as much damage in a small cone because that's what is needed to kill mechs and those asshole pirates and ram your face.

Just got into Season 3 now. I'm really enjoying the combat but something is keeping me from loving the game as a whole.

For me, it's definitely losing progress whether it be by completing a season or dying. I want to be able to keep building my ship into a bringer of death without having to start over so much.

Teknoman

For me, it's definitely losing progress whether it be by completing a season or dying. I want to be able to keep building my ship into a bringer of death without having to start over so much.

That's probably where the roguelike/lite aspect is hitting hard. No complaints here since i'm a new fan of the genre, but I can see how that would turn some people off abit.

Also is Crash voiced by the same guy as Serious Sam? Because he seriously sounds like Serious Sam. Seriously.

EDIT: So if you turn off the system while on board the Axelios, you'll start from that point?

Novocaine

I hope they consider adding in a slider for how much the protagonist talks, or maybe allow you to turn it off completely. A lot of the sayings are getting really old and I'm only on Season 3.

I hope they consider adding in a slider for how much the protagonist talks, or maybe allow you to turn it off completely. A lot of the sayings are getting really old and I'm only on Season 3.

Thankfully they already confirmed the frequency of that will be tuned in a future patch. I honestly think it wouldn't hurt to remove it completely. He's annoying

Bleep

You seem to be able to fly around completely silently in this game by holding boost and constantly transforming. The transforming noise keeps layering over itself which makes it very loud to the player, but you emit no sound radius while you do it...

nib95

Banned
You seem to be able to fly around completely silently in this game by holding boost and constantly transforming. The transforming noise keeps layering over itself which makes it very loud to the player, but you emit no sound radius while you do it...

As in R1 boost and continuous Triangle?

Bleep

As in R1 boost and continuous Triangle?

Yep, repeated triangle presses. It sill causes overheating so you can't hold R1 boost forever, but as long as you are transforming it seems to still propel you without any flame animation or sound. I tried boosting all around an enemy that hadn't seen me from behind and they weren't alerted.

nib95

Banned
Yep, repeated triangle presses. It sill causes overheating so you can't hold R1 boost forever, but as long as you are transforming it seems to still propel you without any flame animation or sound. I tried boosting all around an enemy that hadn't seen me from behind and they weren't alerted.

That's pretty interesting. Might give it a go just to sneak up on some enemies and deal some solid initial damage.

danowat

Banned
Finished 2-4 this morning, literally scared to attempt 2-5..........

Don't like the randomised shop inv, usually full of crap I don't want, currently sitting on 2000k+ scrap with little to spend it on.

Bleep

Season 3 down, but just barely!

I just beat Season 3 too. I haven't died yet, but I came very close to dying in 3-5. The performance is starting to bother me a bit, the unlocked framerate has no stability at all and it gets rough when you need solid performance the most. I'm still having a great time with the game, I just wish it had leaderboards or something similar like that to encourage me to replay seasons and improve on my skills.

Zocano

I was slapping Season 3 around on my first try until I got to the boss and he made me look like a fool. I wasn't prepared for the trickiness. It was this part where I realized that trying to aim the grabber claw of the mech can be incredibly frustrating.

That bit was weird. Weird in only that I beat it on my first try (as with the entire season) and sort of didn't expect it. Basically
I didn't even "beat" the boss. I just ran out of there since I realized I could not take him on in a closed space like that plus being blocked off and having to carry any objective. But when I got out I just booked it for the exit expecting to be forced to fight him but then... nothing? So I just left and beat the season.

I've been super fucked up on my sleep schedule recently and haven't been as focused as I want to but I really want to beat Season 4 on my first try just for shits and giggles like I have the other 3. So, I haven't even tried out Season 4 yet but I'd like to see an even bigger jump in difficulty than from 2 to 3. Three was difficult but not "aaas" difficult as I thought it would be.

I think my biggest problem with this game is the feeling that there isn't really all that much to it on the macro level. I love the combat, but Spelunky as spoiled me on the "perfect" rogue-likelikelilieklikeleieleileifuckyoupeople and I want shit tons of secrets and different "routes". Feel like once I beat Season 4 there will be really no reason to replay except for combat. And since the seasons scale in difficult and combat is the only reason to play then why play anything but Season 4 (until Season 5 comes out)?

So, I'm tempted to get this but I'm not generally very good at shmups. Am I right in assuming it's a twin-stick shooter a bit like Geometry Wars or Super Stardust HD, the levels, it has randomly generated levels and it's mostly about combat? Any good walkthrough videos which could sell me on the game?

After ctrl+f for 17 pages without any Vita remote play impressions I guess I have to ask the question...

..how is the Vita RP controls and overall experience?

I did remote play for the first level or two. It's... ok. Boost is on the back touch pad and I'm not a huge fan of using that for something so delicate or that needs to be used often.

So, I'm tempted to get this but I'm not generally very good at shmups. Am I right in assuming it's a twin-stick shooter a bit like Geometry Wars or Super Stardust HD, the levels, it has randomly generated levels and it's mostly about combat? Any good walkthrough videos which could sell me on the game?

Nope, it's not twin-stick. It's more physics based, gotta aim your ship where you want to shoot. Can't help you with vids, I'm sure there are some on Twitch though.

Novocaine

It is not a twin stick shooter, and not really like those kinds of games and definitely doesn't control like them at all. It's more roguelike than anything else.

Giant Bomb has several videos that show the game off. This one should do it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-galak-z-the-dimensional/2300-10526/

Ok so I played this game for a little bit last night and I don't get how the seasons and levels work. I beat 1-1 and saved it there (I think? It doesn't even tell you)
If I lose all my shields and health and lives say at 1-3 . Will I go all the way back to 1-1 and lose every upgrade and all money too?

If that's the case then no thanks. I don't have time to repeat levels I've already beaten it's 2015. Gonna just let this one go. Shame as it seemed like a nice game otherwise but this design completely ruins the whole game for me.

Yopis

Ok so I played this game for a little bit last night and I don't get how the seasons and levels work. I beat 1-1 and saved it there (I think? It doesn't even tell you)
If I lose all my shields and health and lives say at 1-3 . Will I go all the way back to 1-1 and lose every upgrade and all money too?

If that's the case then no thanks. I don't have time to repeat levels I've already beaten it's 2015. Gonna just let this one go. Shame as it seemed like a nice game otherwise but this design completely ruins the whole game for me.

Glad every game doesn't conform to this type of whining.

Novocaine

The design is the game. Some of us enjoy a challenge rather than auto checkpoints every 30 seconds of progression.

Nope, it's not twin-stick. It's more physics based, gotta aim your ship where you want to shoot. Can't help you with vids, I'm sure there are some on Twitch though.

It is not a twin stick shooter, and not really like those kinds of games and definitely doesn't control like them at all. It's more roguelike than anything else.

Okay, thanks guys. Probably not for me then. I'm not really a fan of Roguelikes with only a couple of exceptions.

danowat

Banned

Don't die then ;)

Nothus

This is a roguelike, so yes when you die it's back to the start for you. But remember that the levels are procedurally generated - they won't be the same each time. You'll pick up different gear each time and so the ship you end up flying around in during later levels will be different too.
Any blueprints you find do not disappear on death so you can quickly get your ship geared up again provided you have enough money (salvage) to buy the upgrades.

Also - and quite a massive point - the game brings in a drastic change once you complete the first season by letting you fly around in a mech suit. I'd certainly get that far before you give up completely.

danowat

Banned
Any blueprints you find do not disappear on death so you can quickly get your ship geared up again provided you have enough money (salvage) to buy the upgrades.

While they don't disappear on death, the chances of you getting the same set of upgrades (or even a half decent set) in the shop after your death are slim.

Also, salvage is reset on death, you only get salvage after death by cashing in crash coins.

Top Bottom