• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

muteki

Just beat first season. The post season transitions are hilarious, and the robot form is a joy to control. Grappling/slashing feels so good.

nib95

Banned
Strafe boost in the ship is so good. I still lack confidence with the mech though. Having a hard time managing close quarters offense & defense.

Edit, lol, just saw you bumped my tips from yesterday... And I just got my ass handed to me on S2-5 (my first death)... *tear.

Oh well, as Plato said above, death is a good opportunity to practice, and I definitely need practice with the mech.

Charging the sword behind the comfort of a shield whilst boosting and strafing around is pretty awesome, helps that the charge attack has some range to it. Then there's that grab as well. I do find the mech's less effective against missile launching faster ships though. The missiles make fairly quick work of the mech shield.

nib95

Banned
What's the best way to take down the
mech
in 1-3, or should I just book it?

Sneak up on him and you can get off at least two missile launches before he even realises. But you don't even need to do that, one missile fire, then just speed boost backwards whilst shooting from a range, till he's downed. Just stop boosting if you need him to catch up a bit. But you'll most likely kill him before he even gets near you.

Sneak up on him and you can get off at least two missile launches before he even realises. But you don't even need to do that, one missile fire, then just speed boost backwards whilst shooting from a range, till he's downed. Just stop boosting if you need him to catch up a bit. But you'll most likely kill him before he even gets near you.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

And if he gets close, can I use the juke to leapfrog him?

JohngPR

Having your shield up while charging your sword in mech mode is a game changer. Makes the mech way more of an offensive force.

A while back Giantbomb did a quick look (now it's an unfinished since they did another quicklook this week) with the developer playing and it's good to watch cause the person clearly knew what they were doing. For anyone looking for tips I suggested watching it

This is the only game I care to play right now. It's so fucking cool. I'd love to see some kind of wave based survival mode, maybe with some objectives sprinkled in or a "capture and defend this zone/circle area" objective type thing... I don't know.

I just don't want this game to end. That is all.

stryke

This game gave me a scare. It crashed right when I was about to warp out of 1-5 and I was worried I would have to start all over again. Luckily I could still go through to season 2.

danowat

Banned
This.

I died and now I have to restart the whole season. ;_;

I finished season one with a lot of crash coins, so had plenty of cash at the start of season two.

I went into season two with a pretty decent build, but got cornered by a mech and couple of large ships and three small ones died and now have nothing left.

The game is brutal in that regard, I wonder if replaying season one and getting coins for season two and have a run at it is a legitimate strategy?

BigDug13

I finished season one with a lot of crash coins, so had plenty of cash at the start of season two.

I went into season two with a pretty decent build, but got cornered by a mech and couple of large ships and three small ones died and now have nothing left.

The game is brutal in that regard, I wonder if replaying season one and getting coins for season two and have a run at it is a legitimate strategy?

Just got to learn the shield/charged slash/boost technique and you'll start to take no damage in fights. There's no reason to force your way through season 1 just for coins in season 2.

danowat

Banned
Just got to learn the shield/charged slash/boost technique and you'll start to take no damage in fights. There's no reason to force your way through season 1 just for coins in season 2.

Yeah, I know, the game gives you the tools you need, but it's all just a bit overwhelming for my poor old reactions!

Off-topic. Kind of. What Macross stuff do I watch? I've never watched it before. Start me up, GAF.

Only video clips of Ranka Lee.

j/k
Macross
Macross: Do You Remember Love (a movie of an in-universe movie retelling of Macross saga)
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier
Macross Zero

Alternatively... you could watch Robotech. It was an Americanized mishmash of three transformable mecha shows with Macross as the first arc (then Southern Cross, and finally Mospeada). I watched it as a kid before jumping into Macross proper, so it's one way to give it a go. I also prefer the Robotech soundtrack as well, t'was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XxgIHcK2Y

You could watch Macross 2 as well, but that's considered non-canon.

danowat

Banned
Completely OT, but anyway.............

I remember buying plastic (possibly Japanese?) robot model kits from the local Saturday market back in the 80's (probably 82?), would these likely be Macross? or something else?

Completely OT, but anyway.............

I remember buying plastic (possibly Japanese?) robot model kits from the local Saturday market back in the 80's (probably 82?), would these likely be Macross? or something else?

It came out in 82' so maybe? Were they planes that transformed? If not, they were probably Gundam kits.

danowat

Banned
It came out in 82' so maybe? Were they planes that transformed? If not, they were probably Gundam kits.

As far as I can remember (and it's a while ago!) they were just static robot models, they didn't transform, and I don't think they had vehicle parts on them, although I don't think they were quite as "extreme" as Gundam.

Great days..........

edit : pretty sure they were Macross, this box looks very familiar.

il_570xN.321899836.jpg

Vhalyar

Is anyone getting hiccups occasionally during gameplay? At least once per mission the game will stutter for at least half a second during combat which is incredibly jarring. Not a fps dip, a stutter with nothing moving.

Drencrom

Man, this game is legit awesome!

Great controls with lots of options how to maneuver and the combat/action is intense and tons of fun! I like that both the mech and the ship are viable and useful in different situations which makes encounters feel so dynamic when switching between them in middle of combat.

My only complaint is the few performance hiccups i've encountered which I hope you get rid of. It's an amazing game through and though eitherway, keep at it, jkooXL / 17-Bit!

danowat

Banned
Anyone else notice that the faction vs faction encounters appear to be toned down?, they seem to be able to trade more shots than if the player was involved, is letting them duke it out even a decent tactic?, as they don't really seem to kill each other.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I love the actual games visuals, but just not the character art. Looks like the kind of art you get in those not so great flash games. Really the character art should have been proper manga or anime esque, Eg Gundam or Macross Plus style, instead it looks too digital, clean and basic.

Huh? What about it feels half-assed? The characters themselves and the main bridge of the Axelios aren't much to write home about, but otherwise the game is damn pretty.

Yeah, character art is what really bugs me, and flash newgrounds flash would be a good label for it. It's too clean, is vector based and just seems amateurish. If I could hide the character art during missions, I'd be happier.

SerTapTap

Anyone else notice that the faction vs faction encounters appear to be toned down?, they seem to be able to trade more shots than if the player was involved, is letting them duke it out even a decent tactic?, as they don't really seem to kill each other.

Nah they totally kill each other, though you can speed up the process by adding your own shots if they're already fighting. The scorpion dudes seem especially good at killing other enemies, Iv'e found a bunch of enemies already dead because of them.

The slide mechanic feels so weird to me, cant get used to it. Juking to dodge shots is kinda OP, in season 1 at least :p

You mean strafe? It's not nearly as useful as I thought and feels kinda weird. It doesn't seem to make circles very well at all for instance. I just back up and spam shots instead.

Alucrid

Banned
Hi.

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook. This game looks real hard.

Does anyone regret buying it because of difficulty?
I don't play a lot of rogue likes or twin stick shooters (?) but so far I didn't think it was that hard. Got through season one no problem and to the end of two without much difficulty too

SerTapTap

Hi.

I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook. This game looks real hard.

Does anyone regret buying it because of difficulty?

I've died like 3 times in 3+ hours. It's not an easy game and requires being careful but it's not Spelunky "die 35234 times before you finish the second level" hard. The difficulty curve is pretty smooth, very easy series 1, normal/easy season 2 until the boss, somewhat hard season 3, hard boss stage again.

You'll probably die quite rarely, though it can be frustrating when you die at the end of a season.

Kensuke

Goddamn, the game is so good. Every single fight is fun to play. Makes me forget about all the issues. Made it through season 1 and 2 without dying and had a blast.

Still, the reports of the crashes and bugged trophies are making me hesitate if I want to continue playing right now. I might hold off with the rest until the patch next week.

SerTapTap

Bugged trophies? I've gotten every one other than the last two chapter one and the all trophies. Waiting for a patch is sounding like a good idea though, the hitching is infuriating in the wrong situation.

The End

I've died like 3 times in 3+ hours. It's not an easy game and requires being careful but it's not Spelunky "die 35234 times before you finish the second level" hard. The difficulty curve is pretty smooth, very easy series 1, normal/easy season 2 until the boss, somewhat hard season 3, hard boss stage again.

You'll probably die quite rarely, though it can be frustrating when you die at the end of a season.

Yeah, it's easy enough to make it through the first season without dying

All of my S2 deaths are the result of me charging in while in mech form when i should fall back and throw missiles

SerTapTap

Yeah, it's easy enough to make it through the first season without dying

All of my S2 deaths are the result of me charging in while in mech form when i should fall back and throw missiles

Take some time on an episode 1 to get used to the mech. It's highly risky and honestly not necessary. I mostly play it safe, and I use the mech for fun when I have like 4+ shields and I'm quick to bolt if I take even one damage. Against certain enemies (groups of small ones) it's really fun to burst in and use a charged slash to cause hell or toss people around into hazards.

Kensuke

Bugged trophies? I've gotten every one other than the last two chapter one and the all trophies. Waiting for a patch is sounding like a good idea though, the hitching is infuriating in the wrong situation.

I heard about 3 trophies being unobtainable, but after researching it it's not so bad.

'Ayatollah of Rock-N-Rolla' is unobtainable in the NA version, because it's tied to the season 5 boss. The EU version doesn't have that trophy, but instead has one called 'Can't touch this'. You should get it by clearing an episode without getting hit. People have tried though and it doesn't unlock. 'Off to outer space' can't be obtained in both versions, because it required all other trophies to be unlocked (seems like a poor man's platinum).

I guess I'll keep playing and back up my save just to be safe.

I heard about 3 trophies being unobtainable, but after researching it it's not so bad.

'Ayatollah of Rock-N-Rolla' is unobtainable in the NA version, because it's tied to the season 5 boss. The EU version doesn't have that trophy, but instead has one called 'Can't touch this'. You should get it by clearing an episode without getting hit. People have tried though and it doesn't unlock. 'Off to outer space' can't be obtained in both versions, because it required all other trophies to be unlocked (seems like a poor man's platinum).

TFW ur American and realize somehow u have European trophies.

I started my playthrough on one of secondary accounts and for some reason it seems to have given me the European trophies. Weird.

SerTapTap

I have the NA version and I don't see that trophy

SerTapTap

Do you think it's because we had review codes?

I have no idea. Maybe the patch changed it? I'm not sure I checked my trophies again after it. But the code worked in NA so it was an NA code. I've gotten EU codes before and I'd know if it was an actual EU region game

jon_dojah

Banned
I just figured out you can time your sword attacks to deflect some projectiles back at enemies very much like in Link to the Past boss fights. Its not super easy but I'm sure with time it will be a normal tactic people use.

I just figured out you can time your sword attacks to deflect some projectiles back at enemies very much like in Link to the Past boss fights. Its not super easy but I'm sure with time it will be a normal tactic people use.

They needed to spell that out a little better in-game. I mean it will happen accidentally even if you aren't trying to do it, but with so much stuff going on, it can be hard to notice sometimes.

I feel like these two gifs need to be plastered on every page, so people know how awesome the mech can truly be.

GUa7NpX.gif

oGMItDz.gif

Top Bottom