• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

The game is pretty damn stressful sometimes. Died in 2-4 (the mech made my playstyle too agressive), decided to respawn (they take away the mech wtf), managed to sneak by most enemies and found my recovery box surrounded by two mechs. Opened it with zero shields and one health left and got my revenge. The best part about random generated gamelay is that is creates situations like this.

Now I finished season 2 but can't just go straight to 3. I need a break.

Too bad a lot of the things around the game are a bit messy. The core gameply is super solid, but I think the game needed another 2-3 passes of polish. I hope they can fix most issues quickly.

jon_dojah

Banned
They needed to spell that out a little better in-game. I mean it will happen accidentally even if you aren't trying to do it, but with so much stuff going on, it can be hard to notice sometimes.

I feel like these two gifs need to be plastered on every page, so people know how awesome the mech can truly be.

GUa7NpX.gif

oGMItDz.gif

Awesome gif's. Its like EVO moment #37 in shooter form. The depth of this game is amazing.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm awful at this game. Can't even finish Episode 1. Really fun and addictive, though, with stellar presentation.

I think the biggest compliment I can give it right now is that it's a roguelike that doesn't feel like a roguelike.

jon_dojah

Banned

Congrads a break is well deserved. I had 3 runs last night on Season 2 and I died in 2-5 and had to turn it off so I could collect my thoughts and come with a better gameplan. I want to beat it today in one go.

Atomix - 89/100
With a very well designed gameplay, excellent use of its environments and hard challenges, Galak-Z: The Dimensional becomes one of the best modern roguelikes with fresh elements, nice presentation and extremely fun and addictive gameplay.
The game is pretty damn stressful sometimes. Died in 2-4 (the mech made my playstyle too agressive), decided to respawn (they take away the mech wtf), managed to sneak by most enemies and found my recovery box surrounded by two mechs. Opened it with zero shields and one health left and got my revenge. The best part about random generated gamelay is that is creates situations like this.

Too bad a lot of the things around the game are a bit messy. The core gameply is super solid, but I think the game needed another 2-3 passes of polish. I hope they can fix most issues quickly.
On the bright side for them at least, I guess the Steam version should be pretty polished by the time it comes out :p

SerTapTap

They needed to spell that out a little better in-game. I mean it will happen accidentally even if you aren't trying to do it, but with so much stuff going on, it can be hard to notice sometimes.

I feel like these two gifs need to be plastered on every page, so people know how awesome the mech can truly be.

GUa7NpX.gif

Huh, is there a Just Guard with that shield or does that always happen? I always forget the shield honestly, I use the ship for killing mechs usually.

Huh, is there a Just Guard with that shield or does that always happen? I always forget the shield honestly, I use the ship for killing mechs usually.

Yeah, you just have to press block right before the attack hits. It sends the enemy into a very short stun/stumble animation, and if you sword slash right after, the Mech will lunge forward to close the gap and land the hit.

I fought the 2-5 boss this way. Took a while, but it's relatively low-risk as long as you can get the timing right.

edit: And successful parries don't degrade block strength.

Yeah, you just have to press block right before the attack hits. It sends the enemy into a very short stun/stumble animation, and if you sword slash right after, the Mech will lunge forward to close the gap and land the hit.

I fought the 2-5 boss this way. Took a while, but it's relatively low-risk as long as you can get the timing right.

I wish you could follow up a bit more, it seems you can't deal a lot of damage after the parry so it doesn't feel very rewarding. But it's great for defense of course

nib95

Banned

edit: And successful parries don't degrade block strength.

I didn't even know this lol. Thanks!

I wish you could follow up a bit more, it seems you can't deal a lot of damage after the parry so it doesn't feel very rewarding. But it's great for defense of course

Agreed. Currently, the enemy regains control very quickly, meaning you can only really get one hit in before having to stop and wait for the next incoming attack. It's not like Witch Time in Bayonetta where you can go off on a baddie for a few seconds.

Donos

shiiieeeet at strafe upgrade. Thats nice. Damn, my fingers work the DS4 like i'm playing piano. so much to press and remember about (forget to juke constantly).

Agreed. Currently, the enemy regains control very quickly, meaning you can only really get one hit in before having to stop and wait for the next incoming attack. It's not like Witch Time in Bayonetta where you can go off on a baddie for a few seconds.

Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping for, but it would probably make the mech even more OP. But as it is, going primarily for parries isn't a valid strategy so the mechanic feels a bit wasted.

Yeah, I had no idea you could parry like this until I saw that gif somewhere and decided to try it myself. I practiced and got stomped a few times before getting the hang of it. Doesn't help that it's not mentioned in the tutorials.

bender

What time is it?
I died once in Season 1-2 but man Season 3 is kicking my butt. I'm not really a fan of the design decision to reset your ship after every season. I understand resetting your upgrades if you die or skip seasons but maybe that's just Spelunky's design influencing my thoughts.

Donos

I died once in Season 1-2 but man Season 3 is kicking my butt. I'm not really a fan of the design decision to reset your ship after every season. I understand resetting your upgrades if you die or skip seasons but maybe that's just Spelunky's design influencing my thoughts.

You loose all upgrades after a season???

You loose all upgrades after a season???

You carry over Crash tokens (which convert into a lot of salvage) from previous Seasons to buy new gear, and Blueprints stay unlocked (but are randomly selected each new shop visit). Otherwise, yes, you start from scratch each new Season.

baconcow

Didn't see the Push Square review in the OP.

Set phasers to fun 9/10
With perfectly weighted physics that feel nice on the thumbs, tactical combat that allows you to deal with any situation in a number of ways, and a soundtrack that's catchy and euphoric, Galak-Z is one helluva ride. Though the framerate can detract from the experience at times, it makes up for its one notable shortcoming with charm, nostalgia, and by bombarding you with joy.

danowat

Banned
You carry over Crash tokens (which convert into a lot of salvage) from previous Seasons to buy new gear, and Blueprints stay unlocked (but are randomly selected each new shop visit). Otherwise, yes, you start from scratch each new Season.

I wonder if this will ever change, because it's brutal and can really suck the fun out of it because there isn't that much of a progression curve.

I just tried to revive on 3-5, but I couldn't transform to mech mode. Got dicked out of my crash coins

Still not sure if that's intentional.

You pretty much have to sneak to your recovery box because the fighter is terrible without upgrades
I wonder if this will ever change, because it's brutal and can really suck the fun out of it because there isn't that much of a progression curve.

Doubt it, the game is designed around it. It's really not that bad

SerTapTap

Still not sure if that's intentional.

You pretty much have to sneak to your recovery box because the fighter is terrible without upgrades

The game literally tells you it's going to be dangerous and the recovery box is top priority. It's an extra challenge for dying.

KTallguy

Banned

Yeah, the game is really good. The punishing nature of it kind of shocked me though, because some of those core abilities are really important.

Also the slight messiness, small framerate hitches on PS4, and a few crash bugs marred my playthrough of the first 2 seasons.

The reset at the end of the season also shocked me a bit. It's not intuitive. Gameplay wise I understand though.

The dying = you get weaker design is something that will scare a lot of people away though.

Nothus

Wow the jump in difficulty from season 1 to season 2 is no joke. Somebody mentioned that it wasn't worth buying missiles because enemies drop them, but I am literally getting NO missile drops from enemies whatsoever. Fighting 2 or 3 enemies at a time can use up like 6 or 9 missiles so if they don't drop any when they die, that's a serious chunk of my supply gone just on one fight.

Also, spawning tons of enemies right on the warp point at the end of the level is straight up bullshit. No need for that at all.

tapped out today. I love everything about it from the look to the control - which grew on me. It's the philosophy behind progression that just didn't gel for me. I suck at the game, but can still appreciate it. I think that this is the robotech-style shooter I've always wanted...

...but starting over at the beginning of the season with every mistake? Nah. I can deal with starting each episode over from scratch and randomizing the areas and enemies so you never know how you're going to get handled. But punishing the player by making he/she start the entire season over? Guess I'm not the target demo.

Never played a rogue-like, but THIS is what people love? Guess I stopped playing Rogue Legacy for the same reason...

Seventy70

I think I would like this game a lot more if there weren't any dialogue or characters. It feels like Ctrl-Alt Delete: The Game at times. Everything looks good too except for the character animations which look like they were made in Flash.

Only video clips of Ranka Lee.

j/k
Macross
Macross: Do You Remember Love (a movie of an in-universe movie retelling of Macross saga)
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier
Macross Zero

Alternatively... you could watch Robotech. It was an Americanized mishmash of three transformable mecha shows with Macross as the first arc (then Southern Cross, and finally Mospeada). I watched it as a kid before jumping into Macross proper, so it's one way to give it a go. I also prefer the Robotech soundtrack as well, t'was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XxgIHcK2Y

You could watch Macross 2 as well, but that's considered non-canon.

Thank you! Sorry for the delay in responding back. I'll probably check out Robotech to start this weekend. :) If I can put down Galak-Z.

After ctrl+f for 17 pages without any Vita remote play impressions I guess I have to ask the question...

..how is the Vita RP controls and overall experience?

Heyt

Banned
Finally went through S1... I have put more effort into that that finishing entire games, but it felt great. S2-1 seems like a interesting change of pace. Very promising game.

Beat boss at end of 1-5. As soon as the trophy popped game crashed. Luckily when I restarted the game it told me season 2 was unlocked. I was freaking out when it crashed and might have walked away if it didn't work out in my favor. It seemed like all the story I thought I would missed appeared at start of S2 also. Moving forward hoping for no more crashes...

Alucrid

Banned
i just finished season 2 and i'm still not seeing how the game is as hard as people say. even the boss of season 2 was really easy. it took like...10 missiles to get him dead. i guess we'll see if 3-1 presents more of a challenge

Anyone get this bug?

I was shooting those wall bugs and let it grab me, since I know it only does 2 shield damage. Then when I kill it, might dude disappears and I'm stuck because the game thinks I'm still alive even though the ship isn't there any more.

Now I'm forced to quit the season and restart. weird

Laputa_94

Anyone get this bug?

I was shooting those wall bugs and let it grab me, since I know it only does 2 shield damage. Then when I kill it, might dude disappears and I'm stuck because the game thinks I'm still alive even though the ship isn't there any more.

Now I'm forced to quit the season and restart. weird

Yup, I had the same thing happen to me.

jon_dojah

Banned
Just had a crash to the XMB with the typical error message when any game crashes. I was on 2-5 and the framerate dropped to single digits right before it happened.

Just beat Season 2, that last fight was MADCAP. Had a bad exploding barrel go off just as I was finishing the fight prior to...
THE ROOM
. Had to roll in with 1hp.

Every missile I had, juke-boosts and mech morphs to dodge the
turrets
. Holy god, it was harrowing.

Season 3 tomorrow. No more tonight.

I flew around like a madman launching missiles every which way. It seemed to have the desired effect. :D

Just had a crash to the XMB with the typical error message when any game crashes. I was on 2-5 and the framerate dropped to single digits right before it happened.

Duuuude, my framerate was getting pretty fucked up on 2-5. It would stutter every other second and I was starting to get worried because I'd read this post. But I paused it, pressed the PS Logo button and then went back into the game and that fixed it. Was able to finish the level and breathe a sigh of relief.

Duuuude, my framerate was getting pretty fucked up on 2-5. It would stutter every other second and I was starting to get worried because I'd read this post. But I paused it, pressed the PS Logo button and then went back into the game and that fixed it. Was able to finish the level and breathe a sigh of relief.

Thanks for the tip.

Kensuke

Shit, the season 2 boss becomes a regular enemy in season 3. Had to fight him 3 times. Also died for the first time today at 3-3, but spent the crash coins and managed to recover my stuff. Ended up beating the season, barely. The boss is really cheap.

Top Bottom