• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

baconcow

I hope if the reviews are positive I scan still get in on the 20% off discount for pre-order

I am very interested in this game and have some PSN cash to spend :)

Pre-order discount will end at midnight EST, if it is the same as n++, last week. Reviews will not hit until tomorrow after launch.

SerTapTap

I finally game over'd on 2-3. Feel the same way about the mech, not sure how vulernable it is during melee assaults and I always get scared, boost off, and return to blasting enemies while in ship form. Always feel like I have too much to lose but now that I got destroyed I think I'll play around a bit more.

The mech is quite fun but very dangerous, and the thought of losing a season makes it hard to enjoy. "Indoors" it's a ton of fun though, grabbing ships and tossing them into hazards. Looks like it can reflect lasers too from that gif, I'm not sure I'm brave/stupid enough to try that. Way I've been playing is to just chicken out the moment my shields hit 1 (if I have Overshield) or 0 otherwise

What do you mean by that? Not enough enemies or you're not powerful enough.

Er, I meant the game felt limited rather than me--I'd like to see more enemies. The next stage was a nice switch-up layout wise, but the game sort of feels like it's stopped tossing new enemies in the mix. But I'm hardly done yet.

I99PA1N.gif

baconcow

Er, I meant the game felt limited rather than me--I'd like to see more enemies. The next stage was a nice switch-up layout wise, but the game sort of feels like it's stopped tossing new enemies in the mix. But I'm hardly done yet.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like great gameplay, but no word on endgame or post content aside from act 5. I think i might wait for reviews and take the PC route. Too much unknown, this time, for a pre-order.

Speaking on post-game content, I do wonder if there are any plans for expansions/DLC. I haven't finished the story yet, so I'm not sure that there'd be room for more, but I wouldn't mind picking up an extra season or two down the road.

Jashobeam

Speaking on post-game content, I do wonder if there are any plans for expansions/DLC. I haven't finished the story yet, so I'm not sure that there'd be room for more, but I wouldn't mind picking up an extra season or two down the road.

Season 5 will be released down the road as a free update I believe

sarcoa

The mech is quite fun but very dangerous, and the thought of losing a season makes it hard to enjoy. "Indoors" it's a ton of fun though, grabbing ships and tossing them into hazards. Looks like it can reflect lasers too from that gif, I'm not sure I'm brave/stupid enough to try that. Way I've been playing is to just chicken out the moment my shields hit 1 (if I have Overshield) or 0 otherwise
Well, after three straight levels of 95% forced mech play I'm starting to get the hang of it. Charging a mid-class (two arrows? medium sized?) ship with the shield up and smacking it with a charged hit typically sends it flying off, ricocheting into everything around it, which is usually either other ships, the walls, or something explosive. It does some damage. Great visual feedback with the shield's viability, with its gradually changing colors, too.

Might be too risky for the really big guys (still have no idea how to safely take down a giant guardian), but it's really working for the mid sized and smaller stuff,

baconcow

Me, too. PC Gamer asked if there would be any runs like Spelunky's seeded dailies. Giant Bomb mentioned interest in endless enemies with randomized objectives, in today's Quick Look. There woukd seem to be endless possibilities with a game like this. Mods on the PC version, perhaps?

Me, too. PC Gamer asked if there would be any runs like Spelunky's seeded dailies. Giant Bomb mentioned interest in endless enemies with randomized objectives, in today's Quick Look. There woukd seem to be endless possibilities with a game like this. Mods on the PC version, perhaps?
Ooooh. A endless enemies mode is a cool idea. Waves and stuff. Yeah there are all kinds of ways they could potentially expand the life of the content!
Make a US account, that's what I did.
Real pros make sure to have one for all three, EU, JPN, NA ;)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I caved and preordered.

Seems really shit to have a preorder discount and launch day review embargo, and I hate to support that practice but whatever I'm sure I'll get my $16 worth out of it.

I've been pretty set on preordering this for the discount, and because I don't think there is much coming out on PSN in the near future (other than full releases). I'm not sure anymore.

Novocaine

Can I then play it on my AUS PSN account somehow? Any drawbacks?

Yeah, as long as the US account that bought it is still on the system, you can play and earn trophies on your AU account. The only drawback for me is if the game is cross buy I can't play it on my Vita because it doesn't support multiple accounts (well).

Stainless

good job on the OT, OP. I'm so hype for this game

I preordered it a week or so ago along with everybody's gone to the rapture for the discounts since I was gonna buy them both anyways. I think I was eligible for the 10% coupon for two PLAY titles, not sure

Super bummed about the vita cancellation. Just got one a few weeks ago and saw Galak-Z on the upcoming games vita thread and was excited but today I find out here it's canceled! boo!

Still hype, tho. I told the office I'm working from home tomorrow AND taking half a day of pto

I caved and preordered.

Seems really shit to have a preorder discount and launch day review embargo, and I hate to support that practice but whatever I'm sure I'll get my $16 worth out of it.
In fairness, from what I understand, it was not their intention for the embargo to be tomorrow. It was supposed to be today, but got shifted because of the review codes getting out later. I think 17-Bit is probably confident enough in their product that they'd prefer to have those good reviews out today to push copies than out tomorrow.

SerTapTap

I'm pretty sure Sony's preorder system fucks with review codes somehow--N++ said NA codes would basically go live at launch too. I got an EU code instead in that case.

Oh yeah, I know! I'm curious where the game goes after that though...is it just done? Sequel? Expansions?

I'm sure since they're a small indie studio, all of that would depend on how the game sells

I caved and preordered.

I'm not a fan of the practice either but I don't think they'll continue doing it. if anything I think it hurts sales cause if you miss out on the preorder then you have to pay full price and nobody really likes doing that right after a sale so I'm sure some people would rather wait until the game is cheap again. The only exception IMO would be if a game has so much buzz around it that people don't care and pay the full price.

This is just my opinion of course but that's how I would feel as a consumer. They should have the discount during the week of release and give people who preorder some other bonus. I think that's what they did last summer

CLEEK

Can I then play it on my AUS PSN account somehow? Any drawbacks?

None. And depending on exchange rates, it will likely be the cheaper option.

During the PS3 years, my main PSN account was AU, yet I had, and bought content from, US, UK, HK and JP PSN. The requirement is the the account used to purchase a game is set up on the console.

For the PS4, it's the same. My main is now my US account, but I still have my AU account set up.

The only thing to consider is DLC. It has to be of the same region as the game. So if you buy the US version, you'd have to buy the US DLC as well. Same goes for physical games and DLC, if you buy an AU disc, you have to buy the DLC from AU PSN.

Yeah, as long as the US account that bought it is still on the system, you can play and earn trophies on your AU account. The only drawback for me is if the game is cross buy I can't play it on my Vita because it doesn't support multiple accounts (well).

None. And depending on exchange rates, it will likely be the cheaper option.

During the PS3 years, my main PSN account was AU, yet I had, and bought content from, US, UK, HK and JP PSN. The requirement is the the account used to purchase a game is set up on the console.

For the PS4, it's the same. My main is now my US account, but I still have my AU account set up.

The only thing to consider is DLC. It has to be of the same region as the game. So if you buy the US version, you'd have to buy the US DLC as well. Same goes for physical games and DLC, if you buy an AU disc, you have to buy the DLC from AU PSN.

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys.

Teknoman

Oh man...this just makes me want the next From Software mecha game to have transforming on the fly.

Game looks awesome though, and got my preorder. I like the base designs for the characters, but something seems off about some of the faces. The music does sound cool, but seems like it would be more at least in some 80s sci-fi horror / doomsday wasteland style game imo. Or a Binary Domain style scenario.

Why wait. Game looks ace on PS4 and is available in 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Because same games that comes out later on different platform usually comes with extra package/updated stuffs for free.

sainrub

Isn't the static theme for pre-ordering suppose to use music from the game soundtrack? Mine is playing the music from the default Flow theme. Would love for them to update it with something from the soundtrack.

Zomba13

Pretty bummed there's still no concrete news about a release in UK. You can't even pre-order it :(

Same. I mean, I could but it on my US or Canadian account but I want to know how much it'll be over here, if there is any pre-order/PS+ discount that lowers it a bit or what not.

baconcow

Ant last impressions from playing before the pre-order time runs out. I feel like a rooster sitting on the fence. But, i can't help but feel something is missing.

PepperedHam

Decided to preorder but I keep getting an error when I try to checkout. Running out of time here, PSN.

EDIT: Getting the error on the browser store too. Yo wtf Sony, no love for last minute fence hoppers?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Decided to preorder but I keep getting an error when I try to checkout. Running out of time here, PSN.

EDIT: Getting the error on the browser store too. Yo wtf Sony, no love for last minute fence hoppers?

Same here not too happy about missing the discount.

baconcow

Went to consider buying and pre-order disappeared for me 5 minutes early. No chance to buy early, I guess. Screw these post launch review embargos causing so much unecessary doubt and risk. I'll buy it half price or on PC. I hate to say this but this is a horrible practice whether poorly planned or not. I'm quite annoyed but not paying $19.99 when I was there before midnight EST. Sorry for the mini rant.

PepperedHam

Same here not too happy about missing the discount.
Mhm, guess one could say I should have made a call earlier but I tried it at quarter of, no reason at all I shouldn't have been able to get the pre-order. Pretty bummed but oh well, this will give me time to feel everyone's thoughts out for awhile I guess.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take my money still. I looked up the error code and in the past people still got charged. I made it to the cart screen after selecting my payment method and stuff. Won't know til tomorrow since I'm getting set up on a new online banking thing.

Top Bottom