• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be the mother of all title drops. They even foreshadowed it here with Sam suggesting something more "poetic" for the title to the Archmaester's book.

Elderly Sam at his writing table as he narrates the last parts of the war against the Night King to himself. At the end he closes the book he's writing. On the cover: A Song of Ice and Fire

ROLL CREDITS

it'll be a GRRM cameo.

Also ironic considering Sam will finish the book before GRRM does.

I'm calling it know - Jamie is going to kill Cerse just like he killed the mad king.
That's the expected thing. Cersei will kill him first, or have him executed for attempting an assassination. Just look at how Tommen is a traitor now. Jaime ain't safe

It makes perfect sense for her overall arc too

Pooya

"mama" "mama".... cringy to the last breath. Glad that's over.

Sansa gonna f up north, backstabbing people and shit.

Ellaria Sand is the single dumbest person to ever grace this show. So she committed regicide by killing her own children's uncle and their cousin, and what does she have to show for it? One dead innocent Lannister girl (who's also a member of her own family by marriage), two of her husband's daughters killed, and herself and her daughter captured and on their way to a twisted and demented Queen Cersei.

What a brilliant fucking plan Ellaria.

I'm pretty sure they're dead no? Was that not the mother and daughter hanging off the mast when Theon is escaping? I don't see what kind of role they would have going forward besides being Mountain food.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm pretty sure they're dead no? Was that not the mother and daughter hanging off the mast when Theon is escaping? I don't see what kind of role they would have going forward besides being Mountain food.

Nah, those were the two other Sand Snakes, Ellaria and Bad Pussy are still alive. I assume it's a present for Cersei since Ellaria killed her daughter, so yeah, probably Mountain food.

Grinchy

Banned
All of it probably? Yara and her fleet WERE her naval fleet more or less. She probably has like 10 ships left maybe.

I assumed that would be the case as the scene wouldn't mean as much to us otherwise, but the way it was shot, it looked like 5 ships were involved lol

tumblr_otkoijByi21rx5l6bo1_400.gif

tumblr_otkoijByi21rx5l6bo2_400.gif

ramparter

Banned
I felt only bad for Yara but I knew there was no way Euron would lose that battle.

Will also miss the cute sand snake but don't really care about Dorne and I am also glad Tyrion had the chance to confront Ellaria for killing Myrcella.

PS: I though it was Yara hanging from the fleet but I guess from what people say here he didnt kill her...

Will also miss the cute sand snake but don't really care about Dorne and I am also glad Tyrion had the chance to confront Ellaria for killing Myrcella.

That would be Tyene. Jessica Henwick plays Nymeria Sand, and I feel like they go out of their way to make her not look super attractive, but after Iron Fist I am fully aware she is a very beautiful woman--they all are to be honest, I just think they try and make Tyene the cutest if you will.

Daedardus

This is what annoys me about fantasy worlds. Their technology isn't allowed to advance. Even our own medieval world had cannons and guns.

They do have fancy zippers, woodwork that has been done so perfectly that it nearly must be machined, and decorating items that seem to come straight from Ashley. Yet their war technology isn't allowed to advance.

They do have fancy zippers, woodwork that has been done so perfectly that it nearly must be machined, and decorating items that seem to come straight from Ashley. Yet their war technology isn't allowed to advance.

They essentially went straight from swords to nuclear weapons (dragons). It's no wonder war technology stopped at that point. Developing cannons would require gunpowder too, and I don't think we've seen evidence of that in the show.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I felt only bad for Yara but I knew there was no way Euron would lose that battle.

PS: I though it was Yara hanging from the fleet but I guess from what people say here he didnt kill her...

The best looking sand snake is still alive.

Machina

Banned
Casterly Rock is gonna fall and Cersei isn't gonna give 2 shits. Tywin told her there's no gold left there to mine so it's just another castle now.

Einchy

Casterly Rock is gonna fall and Cersei isn't gonna give 2 shits. Tywin told her there's no gold left there to mine so it's just another castle now.

Yeah, haha, they think they're gonna cut off all their gold supply.

Dany's conquest is looking worse and worse with each passing scene.

Yeah, haha, they think they're gonna cut off all their gold supply.

Dany's conquest is looking worse and worse with each passing scene.

I think it's less about supplies and more about optics. Losing Winterfell crippled Robb's momentum after all. Dany doesn't really need gold. She has 3 god damn dragons.

FeD.nL

Was it just me or was the take they used for Euron boarding the ship pretty bad, like comically bad. I dunno but I couldn't take him serious after that.

Einchy

I think it's less about supplies and more about optics. Losing Winterfell crippled Robb's momentum after all. Dany doesn't really need gold. She has 3 god damn dragons.

It's not about her getting the gold, it's about cutting off King's Landings funds. Everything about her plan was about cutting off their supplies. They wanted to surround King's Landing so they couldn't get reinforcements or food, so at some point they would need to give up and with taking Casterly Rock, you take away all their gold so anyone outside isn't getting paid. It's different from Robb since Winterfell was their King's Landing, Casterly Rock doesn't really mean much to Cersei from a strategic point of via, aside from all the gold there, but that's all but dried up.

[edit]

Not to say that the optics here aren't in play, since they are, but I think it's mainly about the gold they think they have.

venom473

Was it just me or was the take they used for Euron boarding the ship pretty bad, like comically bad. I dunno but I couldn't take him serious after that.

Yeah that felt kind of out of place to me as well. Euron's growling/shouting didn't really sound very menacing either.

It's not about her getting the gold, it's about cutting off King's Landings funds. Everything about her plan was about cutting off their supplies. They wanted to surround King's Landing so they couldn't get reinforcements or food, so at some point they would need to give up and with taking Casterly Rock, you take away all their gold so anyone outside isn't getting paid. It's different from Robb since Winterfell was their King's Landing, Casterly Rock doesn't really mean much to Cersei from a strategic point of via, aside from all the gold there, but that's all but dried up.

That's fair, but Dany could burn any of their supporters castles to the ground. I think she wanted to fight a war of attrition with Kings Landing because it was so population dense, and had a lot of innocent people around it. Casterly Rock is likely filled full of the Lannisters diehard supporters, and we've never been told it has ever fallen. If Dany waltzed into Westeros and overthrew one of the more impenetrable castles, it would make quite the statement. The only way I see it being more impressive is if she waltzed into the Vale and took over the Eeyrie. Seeing the Queen basically punt her families ancestral home would go miles towards de-legitimizing her.

kAmui-

I thought the whole thing was comically awesome! :D

First, the boarding thingy slowly falling and crushing a guy. Like, dude, you must have seen that thing coming it was so slow! And then Euron coming in laughing like a literal comic book character. I get what you're saying though.

Einchy

That's fair, but Dany could burn any of their supporters castles to the ground.

I think that is exactly what she wants to avoid, but will automatically end up having to do, which is not gonna give her the best reputation in Westeros. Do people want to follow the daughter of the Man King who is doing exactly what he was doing, except ten times worse, and on top of that bringing the Dothraki over?

Everything was smoothed sailing until Euron fucked everything up. Now Dany is in a pretty tricky spot because, like you mentioned, the optics are gonna be real bad for her.

"the mad king butchered his children" /jamie looks at camera quizzically

lol

anyway annoyed grey worm and missandei had a thing considering he's unsullied and the emotion he was showing before was already extra-ordinary

the fleet getting wiped out so fast was annoying, the show is moving much faster. I think they could have easily made this season 10 episodes

the choreography with the euron stuff was pretty shitty and hard to follow

sand snakes finally dying right after a cringeworthy scene was neato, though I'm assuming the wife and youngest daughter survive through this

at the end was Yara hanging from the edge of the boat? or is she still alive and hostage. would suck if she was dead, one of the better female characters in the show imo

also those wolves surrounding arya, was that actually a direwolf or not? and was bran warging it?

So Jon Snow hates Littlefinger because he feels littlefinger betrayed Ned?

I mean partially that, and partially he shows up in his crypt after Jon told him he wasn't welcome only to brag about how he wanted to fuck his stepmom and now his sister.

I have to assume it was done on purpose so he could get a rise out of Jon but I don't understand the point since nobody was watching.

I also hope Sansa doesn't just take it from LF and actually fights back this time. But I'm imagining a scenario in which Arya saves the day just in time.

Also ugh I just got reminded that LF fucking sold Sansa to Ramsay. He either was terribly misinformed and that's against his character or he knew what he was doing and sold Sansa to almost death and that's also against his character. He has like 3 traits and that move betrayed 2 of them.

Edit: my bad for the triple post, it's 6am and I figured someone would have posted after me lol

The writing for episode 2 felt off. Dany is still the charisma vacuum that she was from the start. And Euron might be the worst thing to come of last season. Still invested. Things just don't seem GoT levels of polished for once.
Did you skip all of Season 5? This is still ok.
So how bad is GoT's war technology when a Ballista is a big deal?
I assume they had some already, not one that could pierce through the biggest dragon ever like butter.

Which reminds me, the transition from the greyscale removal scene to the soup scene was goddamn amazing lol. There was another one with the sex scene and then Sam's mentor grabbing on to a bookshelf.

also jamie still not turning on cersei is laaaaaameo

edit: also it's hilarious that not only did yara and theon stealing almost all of euron's ships not mess up the fleet at all, but somehow the entire navy got ambushed by the entire iron fleet and he managed to hit the very center where all the important people were

Kalor

I guess this is the pace the show is going to move at now. I liked the episode although the editing was weird. Can't put my finger what exactly struck me about it.

nOoblet16

What could Then have done anyway?
Euron had a knife to Yara's throat, he wasn't doing it just so he could get to fight Theon was he?

Then makes a run for it and Euron just slits her throat and then he is all alone fighting 10 people, what's the point? Just jump and save yourself, if he wants to come back for her later he will if he jumped out of cowardice then he saved his own life and maybe Yara's.

Einchy

I guess this is the pace the show is going to move at now. I liked the episode although the editing was weird. Can't put my finger what exactly struck me about it.

It's weird because the show has started to move a lot faster ever since season 6, but even with this episode where a huge battle happened and the whole dynamic of the invasion changed, you still got people saying it was a slow episode.

nOoblet16

Show has like 12 episodes remaining, yea it's going to feel like it was edited strangely. Especially if they keep having "twists" like this ship fight.

also the fighting at the end was poorly edited because it was hard to follow but also because there is no fucking way that euron should have been alive and an arrow form his neck just magically disappeared offscreen lol

ASIS

What's everyone's opinion about the score of this episode? Personally I thought the events were fine (though some details don't make sense as been pointed out by others but whatever) but the soundtrack was waaay below GOT standards, especially in the last scene.

What's everyone's opinion about the score of this episode? Personally I thought the events were fine (though some details don't make sense as been pointed out by others but whatever) but the soundtrack was waaay below GOT standards, especially in the last scene.
Yeah the last battle was lacking especially compared to the siege of king's landing from stannis and co.

Only time the music stuck out to me was when Arya was leaving and the stark theme (I think?) played

HMD

I remember seeing the director's list for this season and almost all of them directed boring filler episodes in past seasons. So I blame the bad directors cause if Miguel had the script for this episode we would have had a much better Euron fight.

Skux

The ship battle was not the important thing about the episode. What's important is that Euron how has Yara and Ellaria, which is a stepping stone to bigger things and throws a wrench into Daenerys' plans.

I don't know how people were expecting Hardhome/Battle of the Bastards levels of fight choreography and production value.

Anyway, great episode overall.

Fliesen

at the end was Yara hanging from the edge of the boat? or is she still alive and hostage. would suck if she was dead, one of the better female characters in the show imo

as others have pointed out, those were the two sand snakes, hung and impaled by their respective weapons of choice (whip and spear).

Yara is too much of a fan favourite to receive an off-screen death, really.
(then again, Stannis ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom