• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

Ah okay just Gaffers being thirsty for some Jon/Dany action alright.

2TLOdyS.gif

molnizzle

Only a few more hours. I've avoided major spoilers up to this point.

Although YouTube recommendations haven't kept me 100% pure :/

I read all of them, couldn't help myself. I do the same with Star Wars.

The only way I stay unspoiled is when the spoilers don't exist. Hopefully HBO runs a higher ship for the final season.

It really is...Then again, Bran is still quite young and his origins are pretty sad as well. Everyone just see's him as a creep though but his mind is gone. Just like Hodor, Bran got his, Hodor might have been a half wit the majority of his life whole life but at least he seemed quite happy. Bran was crippled at a younger age than Hodor was when he had the breakdown. And since then it's been downhill for Bran.
Yeah, Bran is still a teenager and he has a lot of pressure on him. So, I suppose his loss of humanity makes some sense, but as a viewer I gotta say it was really annoying to watch..he sees everything, but he needs to care about everything too. And he still does which means he has some humanity left in him.

Because if he didn't care, why would he say that he needs to speak to Jon? Why would he tell Sansa that he's sorry for the things she's gone through? Those lines tell me that he still knows right from wrong, and good from bad. A completely emotionless, empathy-less person wouldn't make those distinctions and wouldn't care or react to anything at all.

Bran's not too far gone.
Priorities.

They clearly don't have major plans for the wolves, so kill them off when they can and only show the others when necessary.

Notice that Dragonstone was just a castle backdrop and a room with a table when Stannis was there?

Now that Dany's there we see elaborate walkways, balconies and a throneroom.

Priorities.
It seems to me that the story being told is dictated by the budget. Which is why the showrunners have their priorities, but it doesn't answer my question. My question is, why can't HBO buy more cgi, or simply just give the showrunners a bigger budget? They will still make tons of profit, and a higher budget means higher quality product instead of having to settle with restraints and priorities.

Vashetti

Banned
It seems to me that the story being told is dictated by the budget. Which is why the showrunners have their priorities, but it doesn't answer my question. My question is, why can't HBO buy more cgi, or simply just give the showrunners a bigger budget? They will still make tons of profit, and a higher budget means higher quality product instead of having to settle with restraints and priorities.

I'm assuming the show's hit it's threshold for maximum budget HBO will throw at it.

In an ideal world, yes they can keep escalating budgets. But they have accountants who work these things out and people need to get paid their expected amounts.

This was something GRRM mentioned about 1-2 seasons ago, the show has hit it's maximum amount of characters they can realistically portray, because of money and time constraints. In a book you don't have this problem, which is why you hear about some characters being cut from the show.

I believe the rumoured budget for the show was $100 million a season. That works out about $10 million an episode, of course this isn't fixed so a cheaper episode of slower dialogue scenes mean you can shift budget to do an action or big battle scene in another ep.

I think it was around Season 3/4 they hit this $100 million ceiling and it hasn't shifted since. A happy positive of killing so many characters in the past two seasons means they've been clawing budget back to use elsewhere. The shorter episode amount this season and next means that budget can be spread more lavishly too.

Ned is a big guy.

Maybe for you.

A4Nm71H.jpg

Jon Snow, I'm DANY.

gun_haver

I read all of them, couldn't help myself. I do the same with Star Wars.

The only way I stay unspoiled is when the spoilers don't exist. Hopefully HBO runs a higher ship for the final season.

I've actually managed to avoid all spoilers except for one thing (which I'm not 100% is true, or saw any details about) which is when I went on r/freefolk not knowing it was an unmoderated place. It's not hard to filter things out/know where not to look, but then I stick to pretty specific parts of the internet anyway.

Because if he didn't care, why would he say that he needs to speak to Jon? Why would he tell Sansa that he's sorry for the things she's gone through? Those lines tell me that he still knows right from wrong, and good from bad. A completely emotionless, empathy-less person wouldn't make those distinctions and wouldn't care or react to anything at all.

Hodor was like an puppy, super happy, but terrified of things like thunderstorms. For the most part, of course there were other times when he was scared, or felt remorse after Bran warged him and killed a man. But throughout the majority of his life post accident he appeared to be a happy go lucky guy because he just didn't know better.

Bran on the other hand, post accident has seriously suffered and felt it all because he is fully aware of everything that has happened not only to him, but to everyone, everywhere. Hodor might have carried him, and Meera may have pulled him but Bran is carrying the emotional suffering of how many people, over how many years? And he's bound to a chair or a bed for the rest of his life.

Did Bran really fuck him over? (edit: yes he definitely fucked him over, but still) He went from stable boy, to stable boy, but one that was often smiling without much to worry about. Bran, because of those string of events suffered a fate worse in my opinion.

Vectorman

Banned
Btw, do you think that the White Walkers will finally bring out those Ice Spiders or we are just gonna have to be content with that tease the old lady talked about because of budget reasons?

Speevy

Banned
Btw, do you think that the White Walkers will finally bring out those Ice Spiders or we are just gonna have to be content with that tease the old lady talked about because of budget reasons?

They've already given us wight giants.

I think it's safe to say any beast is fair game.

I'm assuming the show's hit it's threshold for maximum budget HBO will throw at it.

In an ideal world, yes they can keep escalating budgets. But they have accountants who work these things out and people need to get paid their expected amounts.

This was something GRRM mentioned about 1-2 seasons ago, the show has hit it's maximum amount of characters they can realistically portray, because of money and time constraints. In a book you don't have this problem, which is why you hear about some characters being cut from the show.

I believe the rumoured budget for the show was $100 million a season. That works out about $10 million an episode, of course this isn't fixed so a cheaper episode of slower dialogue scenes mean you can shift budget to do an action or big battle scene in another ep.

I think it was around Season 3/4 they hit this $100 million ceiling and it hasn't shifted since. A happy positive of killing so many characters in the past two seasons means they've been clawing budget back to use elsewhere. The shorter episode amount this season and next means that budget can be spread more lavishly too.
The thing I can't grasp about this is as the series progressed and obviously becoming more and more successful, why couldn't HBO see it fit to up the budget? Film series always are granted higher budgets by their studios when a franchise's rate of success goes up, I don't understand why for season 7 they couldn't be offered $150 million instead of the standard $100 million...they would still definitely make that money back and the show would be $50 million of higher quality.
Hodor was like an puppy, super happy, but terrified of things like thunderstorms. For the most part, of course there were other times when he was scared, or felt remorse after Bran warged him and killed a man. But throughout the majority of his life post accident he appeared to be a happy go lucky guy because he just didn't know better.

Bran on the other hand, post accident has seriously suffered and felt it all because he is fully aware of everything that has happened not only to him, but to everyone, everywhere. Hodor might have carried him, and Meera may have pulled him but Bran is carrying the emotional suffering of how many people, over how many years? And he's bound to a chair or a bed for the rest of his life.

Did Bran really fuck him over? (edit: yes he definitely fucked him over, but still) He went from stable boy, to stable boy, but one that was often smiling without much to worry about. Bran, because of those string of events suffered a fate worse in my opinion.
I was actually comparing Bran to the old 3 eyed raven. Both Hodor's and Bran's stories are tragic ones in and of themselves and Hodor's is fatal, but Bran's awareness of events are crucial; he can't just be a sitting computer waiting on others to come to him for information and pretending that he isn't even there otherwise. He is still part of a family that loves him, they all need each other; this is still the Stark wolf pack and they're just all different people.

If he doesn't snap out of it I'm going to be disappointed regardless of how much they try to make sense out of it, but that's just my opinion.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
man I can't fucking wait, lets go bitches.
But just realised it will be a short episode :(

Volimar

What if Arya has been in Winterfell since the last episode, just studying people with a face on, getting the lay of the land?

Good thing I turned on my Xbox One early, apparently I have some large update to download.

Would've been not thrilled to say the least if I booted up at 8:55PM and had to sit through this download.

Euron will slay the Unsullied Army and be back by the end of the episode to kill 2 of Dany's Dragons with harpoons and make a couple more jokes at Jamie's expense in King's Landing.

Dany's just going to hop on Drogon and fly back to Mereen.

I'd be surprised if the show doesnt blow past $100 million for the final season

Can you even make a profit from lets say a $150 million dollar TV season?

I mean people will watch the shit out of it but will that even be enough.

If I was HBO I would fucking build an altar to whomever proposed Westworld because that came in the right time so they can retain subscribers once GOT is done and keep making profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom