• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombie

I get that Sansa has been through as much as Jon and she wants to rightfully be heared, but she's turning into the TV woman caricature I hoped that she wouldn't.

Her spiel was really dumb.

Kaizer

Banned
Solid season opener, sounds like pins are really gonna start falling down soon. They setup several good plot threads, can't wait to see lots of these characters start crossing over into each other's storylines. I'm really interested in what they do with Arya this season, I don't see this current "Go to King's Landing & kill Cersei" plan working out for her AT ALL.

Loxley

We're totally going to reach a point where Little Finger tries to get Sansa to directly betray John, but it'll blow up in his face.

Normally I wouldn't have minded the slow episode, but this season is only 7 episodes so...

I'm assuming this was a "get the pieces of the chess board in their places" episode. The first episode of a new season almost always involves tying up the finals events of the previous season with the bow before moving on. Now that they've gotten all of that out of the way, they can now make progress.

Goofalo

Jon fucked up by not discussing this with her before. Her point is not without value.

She has two options: not bring it up and try to get Jon to change his mind privately, or what she did. Both options are problematic. The latter for obvious reasons, but the former because even if she were to convince Jon, he would already be committed.

At the very least, she has made herself a lodestone for any faction that may want to oppose Jon the future. This is good for Jon as any attempts to suborn her will probably make its way back to him as at the end of the day, she is with him 100%.

The more they meet privately, the more they look like Lannister incest couple of the North.

Yeah this was something I had to suspend my disbelief on. As inompetent as Cersei is surely even she would have seen the obvious need to send some people there. Was a gaping hole that the castle was just waiting for Dany to take.

Stannis was pretty fucked up by the end there.

For all we know, Melissandre had him put all of the people there to a stake to burn for "good luck" before they left for the wall.

Got to keep the Lord of Light happy, after all...

No problem with Ed Sheeran or his acting ability, but was there any actual point to that scene? The only useful bit of information provided was Arya's direction of travel, which could have been communicated in other ways much more quickly. I kept waiting for the twist and for Arya to have to fight for her life to escape, but turns out it was just a gratuitous celebrity cameo.

Jon fucked up by not discussing this with her before. Her point is not without value.

She has two options: not bring it up and try to get Jon to change his mind privately, or what she did. Both options are problematic. The latter for obvious reasons, but the former because even if she were to convince Jon, he would already be committed.

At the very least, she has made herself a lodestone for any faction that may want to oppose Jon the future. This is good for Jon as any attempts to suborn her will probably make its way back to him as at the end of the day, she is with him 100%.

Remains to be seen.

I get that Sansa has been through as much as Jon and she wants to rightfully be heared, but she's turning into the TV woman caricature I hoped that she wouldn't.

Her spiel was really dumb.

I agree, hopefully she snaps out of it and turns on Littlefinger.

We're too late in the game for more family drama.

MartyStu

I really don't think her point had any value, though. Not anymore. They can't get pity shit like that bring them down.

I also don't think anyone will be trying to cut down Jon, aside from Littlefinger, so Sansa fucking with Jon up there didn't really help anything. Thankfully Jon was able to get a hold of the situation again.

Regardless of the positions, the main issue here is how Jon makes decisions.

That should not have been the first time his close advisors heard of his plans. If he is going to keep Sansa around and in his confidence, he needs to do a much better job handling her.

Jombie

No problem with Ed Sheeran or his acting ability, but was there any actual point to that scene? The only useful bit of information provided was Arya's direction of travel, which could have been communicated in other ways much more quickly. I kept waiting for the twist and for Arya to have to fight for her life to escape, but turns out it was just a gratuitous celebrity cameo.

I thought it was funny that she murders all the Freys without blinking an eye but gets soft at Lannister soldiers because of a song and a baby.

OrionX

I got a sick feeling that's happening and she's gonna end up helping Cersei....

I can't imagine a scenario where she would ever side with Cersei, but she's clearly not content with letting Jon take the lead.

Edit: Oh you probably mean indirectly help her I gotcha lol

Humanize her enemies.

Meowster

He (and the sequence dedicated to poop) was the worst part of an otherwise very solid opening episode.

Pure speculation, but the way the guy who made the blackberry wine kept looking at Arya made me think of the beginning of some forced weird romance angle.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

She was there to murder them, but as soon as she started talking to them, she realized that they might be Lannister's but they weren't bad guys. They were there because they had to be, not because they wanted, and they didn't even give a shit for the faction they were fighting for.

I think the scene helped us see that Arya isn't completely gone, that she can still have empathy, even when it's for her "enemies".

Fanuilos

Show Arya, and the audience, that not all Lannister foot soldiers are inhumane stormtroopers they have often been made out to be.

Sansa's totally gonna betray Jon isn't she... :(

Really curious to see how far Arya's face magic gets her.

She's not going to betray Jon Snow holy shit, calm down guys. Sansa was raped daily in and out by a sadistic piece of vile shitlord, so her perspective on the people who served on that shitlord's army might be different. I certainly wont expect her to be all rational and science about the numbers when she is presented with the option of letting the Houses who helped torment on her (and her family) go unpunished and...team up with them again.

I wonder what arya is going to do next. It seems like the ed sheeran scene served to humanize the enemy and soften arya against her desire for revenge. Will she abandon her quest for revenge and do...something? Or will she continue her cold blooded revenge tour against everyone who has wronged her?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
While I can see how that would've played well in this season, we also needed a nice hook for her, and it was pretty balling seeing her again in Westeros.
I would've also accepted her going after Frey last season instead of... Whatever she did the last two seasons

Aurongel

strongest season opener in quite some time. Methodical and has some density to the dialogue that keeps threads moving with multiple characters. The previous seasons first two episodes in contrast were just dull buildup for an end goal we all knew was coming.

Opening scene was kind of a groan fest because of how obvious and predictable it was. The scenes with Jaime and Cersei were similarly on the nose I thought. Everything outside of that was solid though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder what the fuck Eurone Greyjoy is going to get for Cersei. The only thing I can think of is bringing her the head of one of her enemies or something.

MartyStu

She's not going to betray Jon Snow holy shit, calm down guys. Sansa was raped daily in and out by a sadistic piece of vile shitlord, so her perspective on the people who served on that shitlord's army might be different. I certainly wont expect her to be all rational and science about the numbers when she is presented with the option of letting the Houses who helped torment on her (and her family) go unpunished and...team up with them again.

At worst, she is going to accidentally undermine Jon's authority by doing something contrary to his plans.

So all the dragonstone is to the South? That means Jon has to go through King's Landing to get it. Contrived!

https://quartermaester.info/

Its basically a few hundred miles east of Kingslanding.

I wonder what the fuck Eurone Greyjoy is going to get for Cersei. The only thing I can think of is bringing her the head of one of her enemies or something.

Maybe he already knows about Danny's fleet and is going to sell up the channel and fight her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom