• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB

Banned
To be fair, the writers have basically stretched out the same Dany scenes over 6 seasons so there's not much need to mix up her acting. I'm glad she's finally joined the actually interesting part of GoT now instead of being on her own separate little adventure.

Taker666

I saw the new trailer... which was nice..

...but I also rewatched the second trailer they released for the whole series..and I now wish I hadn't as it might have spoiled me
There's a scene where someone draws a sword..and their face isn't visable due to the sun behind them. It looks very much like The Hound...but it also looks like he is holding a very thin sword that looks like needle...

...and with the reminder of Arya's transformation ability now fresh in my memory from last week, that is leading me to think that The Hound gets killed and Arya takes his face. I hope I'm wrong as I wanted The Hound to make it to the end.

For the long term planning needed with the actors, the amount of absolute smash hits vs misses for important characters is good enough for me to overlook the obvious weakness of Danny and Jon's actors.

Nameless

Henshinsi, hold me back. They're insulting yassss queen. 😡😡😡

My Dany support is down to basically zero but Emelia is fine in the role, even good when working with top talent. Is she Lena Headey or Natalie Dormer? No, but she looks the part and musters enough confidence and command to be convincing as a conquerer.

Alicia Vikander, who is an actual Queen, is my dream casting. Anya Taylor-Joy if Thrones started later.

Speevy

Banned
Kit takes the suggestion to play his character as dour and brooding way too literally, and does these weird things with his accent that make him sound like no one else in his family.

I wonder if anyone ever told the actors that the members of their families each have their own distinct accent.

I don't know much about accents, but there is so much variation among the cast that you could probably make a map of the UK with their various birth places.

I agree that Myrcella's death is the only time I sympathized with Cersei, and Cersei getting revenge on the Sandsnakes would be literally the only time I ever root for her lol but in regards to Dany caring, if Tyrion is present in the room when Elaria reveals her evil deed, he should not hold back his thoughts from both of them about how feels on what happened.

The bolded is a good point also, I'm not sure if Dany is as sympathetic as Jon for people who don't have much to do with her so it'll be interesting to see if she will take action.

After reading some of the recent posts about Myrcella, the fact that Cersei/Jamie know it's Dorne that's responsible for her death but not who specifically is responsible does certainly hamper the chances of an already unlikely scenario from happening sadly. Though I can still hope that her death hasn't been completely forgotten about and has some relevance in the remaining story. Should Ellaria somehow confront Jamie or Cersei it would certainly be in her character to tell them that she murdered Myrcella. Maybe it's because Nikolaj is such a terrific actor as Jamie but I can already picture his facial reaction should said scenario ever come to fruition. Whatever they are paying him for the show he earned it just for his fantastic facial expressions when confronting Cersei in the S6 Finale and so far S7 premiere.

All the talk about Tyrion made me realize there's another, more plausible scenario I'd love to see happen. I hope in some way Tyrion can confront either Jamie and Cersei (preferably both) in a non hostile scenario. I know Cersei would probably have him killed on sight should she ever see him again but after Tywin was killed Jamie mentioned he'd kill Tyrion on sight should he ever see him again but with Cersei blowing up the Septum and probably giving him flashbacks of the mad king I wonder if he had a change of heart in any way, considering Cersei is trying to take Twyins place. I just find the possibilities really fascinating!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Henshinsi, hold me back. They're insulting yassss queen. ������

Bro I'm reading this shit with clenched teeth and steam coming out of my ears. But I don't want to even acknowledge these haters by replying to them. I take delight in knowing that we've got many more episodes ending with Khalessi giving us goosebumps to look forward to. HBO knows who pays the bills, and I thank them for the support.

I do wonder if Danny would react to hearing what Ellaria did similar to how Jon reacted to hearing what Melisandre did with Shireen. On one hand while Danny's character is a conqueror she doesn't like when innocents are hurt/killed and only wants to punish those she deems "evil" and has compassion for the innocent. On the other hand since Myrcella is a Lannister, more specifically Cersei's (Now Queen and Dannys now direct enemy) daughter I'm not expecting much sympathy to be shown should she ever hear what Ellaria did even if Tyrion persuades her to out of guilt.

Don't know why you've got "evil" in quotations, considering most of the villains she's been up against are just that lol. A child is a child. Dany has never shown a single moment where she was ok with children of any sort to be harmed.

Speevy

Banned
I think it's unquestionable that Daenerys Targaryen is a popular character and that Emilia Clarke has portrayed her in an appealing way, garnering millions of fans and even awards nominations.

The fairest criticism of Clarke's performance then is that she has an awfully complex character to play, having to move through states of

-vulnerability
-longing
-servitude
-entitlement
-betrayal
-empowerment
-rage
-tenderness
-naievete
-uncertainty
-compromise

Sometimes most of these within the same season, speaking in different languages and taking on the mantle of a person who others are drawn to but striking fear in entire nations.

What most reasonable people say about her acting is that her reach sometimes (or often) exceeds her grasp in conveying these complex shifts in character, perhaps due to inexperience or the writing, or maybe a lack of direction.

Or more succinctly, she commands the screen with all the subtlety of a hammer hitting a nail.

Don't know why you've got "evil" in quotations, considering most of the villains she's been up against are just that lol. A child is a child. Dany has never shown a single moment where she was ok with children of any sort to be harmed.

Oh I only put it in quotations because after learning the hard way it feels like the show goes out of it's way to make it known that conventional/real life views on good and evil don't really have a place in the in show world, at least that's how it felt to me. In my views everyone Danny has ever punished has been been what I consider to be evil but again maybe it's just me over thinking it but with how harsh the world is, it just feels like every character has some justification as good or evil, like a coin, and which side they fall on differs based on many factors that another character my have with with.

Oh I certainly agree that she's never had a moment where she was okay with children being harmed, I just don't know how she'd react considering Dorne is now her ally and punishing Ellaria could lose her Dorne's support as well as possibly house Tyrel considering the conversation Ellaria and Olenna had at the end of S6. Even with her dragons I just don't know if Danny would risk the potential aftermath should said scenario ever happen.

UrbanRats

I think it's unquestionable that Daenerys Targaryen is a popular character and that Emilia Clarke has portrayed her in an appealing way, garnering millions of fans and even awards nominations.

I don't think people like subtle characters all that much (at least in GoT), as much as cool or badass characters, with good one liners.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They're just fantasy versions of homing pigeons which exist and were used for the same purpose.

The way they work in real life is that the pigeon only knows one location which it always returns to which is why they sometimes worked like that in real life. You can assume ravens work rhe same way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_post
And enemies do try and kill them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Exeter#Attacked_by_German_war_hawk

Germans had hawks specially trained to attack and kill homing pigeons.

Curufinwe

For the long term planning needed with the actors, the amount of absolute smash hits vs misses for important characters is good enough for me to overlook the obvious weakness of Danny and Jon's actors.

Jon has been great the last few seasons. His actor definitely learned on the job.

ZOONAMI

The fairest criticism of Clarke's performance then is that she has an awfully complex character to play, having to move through states of

-vulnerability
-longing
-servitude
-entitlement
-betrayal
-empowerment
-rage
-tenderness
-naievete
-uncertainty
-compromise

Sometimes most of these within the same season, speaking in different languages and taking on the mantle of a person who others are drawn to but striking fear in entire nations.

What most reasonable people say about her acting is that her reach sometimes (or often) exceeds her grasp in conveying these complex shifts in character, perhaps due to inexperience or the writing, or maybe a lack of direction.

Or more succinctly, she commands the screen with all the subtlety of a hammer hitting a nail.

Nah she's just not a very good actress. That's why Got is all she really has going for her and some crap films. Han solo doesn't look to be on a good track so far either.

Night King was very obvious and I much prefer the first. He had this evil almost smug stare that just seemed far more menacing. Since they cast a bigger more muscular guy who was formally a stunt double on the show I'm guessing the Night King will be wrecking some shit eventually.

The first Nights King will be the one I'll always remember due to the iconic arm raise scene.

The new one doesn't look as intimidating.

I think it has to be The Hound cus this thing is beastly.
ISmeLGv.gif

You'd need a real strong mothafucka to use it in battle.
What does that sword have to do with the hound?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What does that sword have to do with the hound?

Nothing right now.

Someone asked who would use that sword, and I suggested it would be The Hound. I posted the gif to show how big it is and how it needs to be a pretty strong character to use it.

Nothing right now.

Someone asked who would use that sword, and I suggested it would be The Hound. I posted the gif to show how big it is and how it needs to be a pretty strong character to use it.

Seems to be the size of a greatsword. The same size as Ice wielded by the Stark family. I recall Robb also using a greatsword in season 2.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Seems to be the size of a greatsword. The same size as Ice wielded by the Stark family. I recall Robb also using a greatsword in season 2.

Ice isn't really a sword meant to be used in battle, it's so insanely big that two swords were made from it.

No idea how tall Sam is but that thing is almost his size, so, while I'm not sure if it's bigger or the same size as a greatsword, it does seem rather large.

Speevy

Banned
I always thought that shot of his hand was odd since it felt like it meant something.

It was meant to contrast the difficulty Theon had performing the same task with Robb's comparative strength as king, but it also serves as a metaphor for Robb destroying part of his familial ties to remain lawful. He knows he made the wrong choice but he is too beholden to his father's sense of justice, and on top of that, he feels hate and dishonor.

The fact that the kings guard is protecting the site should tip Bran off.

Not just the kingsguard but Lord commander Gerold Hightower and Arthur Frikken Dayne in the middle of a Dornish desert.

And Dayne explicitly tells Ned that their Prince commanded them to be there instead of defending him at the Trident.

It's pretty much spelling out that the father is Raeghar.

I think it has to be The Hound cus this thing is beastly.
ISmeLGv.gif

You'd need a real strong mothafucka to use it in battle.

From a size standpoint yes. Randyll Tarly, who is a bad ass in battle and kicked Robert's butt used it in battle. Heartsbane gets used in battle, unlike Ice. It's possible Ice was used in battle with previous Stark generations but we dont know.

Hound is a good candidate. But It's not as heavy as other greatswords due to the lighter valyrian steel construction. I have a feeling Sam won't let it out of his sight.

Ice isn't really a sword meant to be used in battle, it's so insanely big that two swords were made from it.

No idea how tall Sam is but that thing is almost his size, so, while I'm not sure if it's bigger or the same size as a greatsword, it does seem rather large.

I'm sure Ned used the sword in the Greyjoy rebellion?

Greatswords were used in battle. Ice would also be a lot lighter than the others on account of the valyrian steel.

Heshinsi

Not just the kingsguard but Lord commander Gerold Hightower and Arthur Frikken Dayne in the middle of a Dornish desert.

And Dayne explicitly tells Ned that their Prince commanded them to be there instead of defending him at the Trident.

It's pretty much spelling out that the father is Raeghar.
That whole bit made me tear up. Jesus, imagine you're Rhaegar and you've essentially left behind two of the best fighters in the world behind in Dorne. You know how valuable someone like Arthur Dayne would be for you at the Trident, but you leave these fighters behind to protect the woman you love and your precious little boy. I pray that Jon finds out just how much his papa loved him, to the point where he rode into battle without his best guards because he needed them to watch for Jon.

After reading some of the recent posts about Myrcella, the fact that Cersei/Jamie know it's Dorne that's responsible for her death but not who specifically is responsible does certainly hamper the chances of an already unlikely scenario from happening sadly. Though I can still hope that her death hasn't been completely forgotten about and has some relevance in the remaining story. Should Ellaria somehow confront Jamie or Cersei it would certainly be in her character to tell them that she murdered Myrcella. Maybe it's because Nikolaj is such a terrific actor as Jamie but I can already picture his facial reaction should said scenario ever come to fruition. Whatever they are paying him for the show he earned it just for his fantastic facial expressions when confronting Cersei in the S6 Finale and so far S7 premiere.

All the talk about Tyrion made me realize there's another, more plausible scenario I'd love to see happen. I hope in some way Tyrion can confront either Jamie and Cersei (preferably both) in a non hostile scenario. I know Cersei would probably have him killed on sight should she ever see him again but after Tywin was killed Jamie mentioned he'd kill Tyrion on sight should he ever see him again but with Cersei blowing up the Septum and probably giving him flashbacks of the mad king I wonder if he had a change of heart in any way, considering Cersei is trying to take Twyins place. I just find the possibilities really fascinating!
If Cersei has a chance at vengeance with any and all of her children you can bet your ass Myrcella's death's not forgotten. Jaime had to literally watch Myrcella die and I think that was the highpoint of showing his loss as a father but we'll see the more gripping performance come from Cersei, because she was forced to move on.

Heshinsi

So something that's been bugging me. If the Lord of Light is legit, why did he make Mel put her faith in Stannis when he clearly wasn't legit? Something about this dude just rubs me the wrong way. Clearly he has powers; he's brought people back from the dead, he has facilitated the birth of smoke baby, he shows visions in the flames that come true. But Stannis was a dud. I don't get it.

What if the God of Light never demanded human sacrifices, and Mel was just stupid, and this was the reason the light abandoned him when he burned Shareen?

So something that's been bugging me. If the Lord of Light is legit, why did he make Mel put her faith in Stannis when he clearly wasn't legit? Something about this dude just rubs me the wrong way. Clearly he has powers; he's brought people back from the dead, he has facilitated the birth of smoke baby, he shows visions in the flames that come true. But Stannis was a dud. I don't get it.

What if the God of Light never demanded human sacrifices, and Mel was just stupid, and this was the reason the light abandoned him when he burned Shareen?

I don't think the god of light demanded human sacrifices, i think Mel is a stupid slutty fuck, and I think the show itself has implied that belief is real when people want it to be; their faith rewarded. the 7 "gods" may be real as the personifications of a single entity, or it is bullshit, the lord of light could be the 1 god, or it is bullshit, or these religions are just different interpretations of the unknown; the word for that being god.

"power resides where men believe it resides" a quote by varys, i think this is symbolic to both the wars and religions of westeros

"i don't know if there are no gods or 7 gods or 1 god; all I know is that if there's something out there, it's got plans for sandor clegane." words of a priest, i don't remember his name (or the actual quote, i'm paraphrasing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom