• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

Ding dong the bitch is dead! Hahaha! for the whole time that Jofrey was being unbearable to Sansa, Tyrion, and the Tyrells I was thinking "Gahhhh! Someone assassinate this little shit already!"

And then someone did. Ha! Feels so good.

Who was the third name on Stanni's hit list? From that ritual he did. Robb, Jeoffrey and ?

Aside from failing to take Kings Landing, my boy Stannis is on a roll.

Volimar

2D6SLLg.jpg

not really him

Who was the third name on Stanni's hit list? From that ritual he did. Robb, Jeoffrey and ?

Aside from failing to take Kings Landing, my boy Stannis is on a roll.

Was it the elder Greyjoy?

zkylon

zkylewd
This is fantastic. And kind of makes me think of all the feigned reactions from the dinner table: "Oh, he's in trouble! Help the poor boy! He's choking!"

What a crock of shit. With the exception of the Lannisters (Tyrion excepted), everyone was doing this dance inside.
double exception!

exception inception!

televator

You know what really makes that little moment before you realize what's happening to Joffrey? He's chocking.... and the dumb fuck takes another last sip of the few remaining droplets of poison wine to try to help. Unknowingly, thoroughly ensuring his complete and utter demise to the last drop. Ahahahaha!

Lyonaz

Very good episode.

Speculation time i think Sansa did it when she picked up the glass from the floor

Nah I don't think so, when she gave the cup to Tyrion, he filled it, Joffrey drank from it and didn't die. He had pie and wanted another drink, Sansa was nowhere near his cup that time.

Also if this is episode 2, what the hell can we expect in episode 9?!

Rootbeer

Banned
Dat Tommen recast... did you guys know he was in billy elliot (as billy)?

Sigh, I kinda got sidetracked and stopped reading Dance with Dragons about 1/4 through... I need to finish it so I can move into the Spoiler thread.

televator

I don't think Sansa really has that much animosity toward Tyrion though... I think whoever set this up was pretty smart and purposefully nailed two lions with one poison cup.

Lady Olena, you clever goose. The Tyrells were clearly not very warm to Joffrey and Olena rather seems to like Sansa.... Perhaps she likes her enough to let her see the man who cut off her father's head die slowly and in agony while simultaneously throwing the other Lanister that she's married to into a dungeon... thus conveniently leaving her quite free to be whisked away to high garden.

Tsukumo

What an episode! Who wrote it? GRRM? Perfect pacing and on top of that:

- Momma Bolton smiling at the "charming" bastard.
- Oleanna sweeping aside her husband XD
- the amazing Ramsay vs Daddy face-off. I think Joffrey's demise kind of detracted to this sequence's epicness.
- Bran progressively loosing his cool, kind demeanour. Another sequence with great delivery.
- Tywin momentarily taming Joffrey when he received the book from his uncle. I would have preferred more of that in his final hour, like showing how Tywin and Margeary efforts would have somehow started to mellow him a bit. The whole cupbearer thing with the uncle was too much of a wink to the audience. Granted, it served a reasonable purpose, but it was treading grounds we've already been to for the last three years.
- DAT Oberyn/Loras eye-fucking XD

Props to those who spotted the whole necklace thing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It was totes Ollena. The context of her character, her dialogue, the scene, the risk and required finesse to pull it off knowing the ensuring madness and likelihood someone else would be fingered. Going by the stills it was totally the necklace, which Ollena explicitly set up and baited in the last episode. Come on: "These necklaces suck! We need new ones!", old drunk randomly shows up and gives Sansa a necklace with a sob story attached, Olenna fondles the necklace, old drunk also happens to be the one helping Sansa get away which was clearly not out of fondness or kindness but because he fucking knew what was going down.

Ollena is a crafty goddess and one of if not the best character on the show. All hail queen Ollena, no crown or throne required.

Mario007

Also it must be pointed out how great Margery was during the wedding. She nicely controlled Joff from the sidelines when he was becoming too much of a dick and he actually listened to her.

televator

It was totes Ollena. The context of her character, her dialogue, the scene, the risk and required finesse to pull it off knowing the ensuring madness and likelihood someone else would be fingered. Going by the stills it was totally the necklace, which Ollena explicitly set up and baited in the last episode. Come on: "These necklaces suck! We need new ones!", old drunk randomly shows up and gives Sansa a necklace with a sob story attached, Olenna fondles the necklace, old drunk also happens to be the one helping Sansa get away which was clearly not out of fondness or kindness but because he fucking knew what was going down.

Ollena is a crafty goddess and one of if not the best character on the show. All hail queen Ollena, no crown or throne required.

I don't think knowing what would go down precludes kindness as a motive. Sansa did save the guy...

Enco

Grandma for sure had it planned. From the very start.

She spoke to Sansa and confirmed how evil Joffrey was. She and her family had it all worked out. That's why they didn't seem too bothered about how evil he was.

No sane woman would be that happy about marrying him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think knowing what would go down precludes kindness as a motive. Sansa did save the guy...

He was pretty fucking quick to the draw. Joffrey had only just fallen over, clearly something, but he was instantly on the "we need to get the fuck out of here for your safety" wagon. Maybe he made a very early, accurate judgement call, but I dunno. He seemed to know shit was going down very quickly and knew what the fallout would be.

Ollena and the Tyrells also seem to have a soft spot for Sansa and have no reason to implicate her in the murder, knowing her life would be endangered.

saunderez

Also it must be pointed out how great Margery was during the wedding. She nicely controlled Joff from the sidelines when he was becoming too much of a dick and he actually listened to her.
That never would've lasted. He would've turned on her soon enough, dude was so up his own ass it was inevitable.

Jibbed

He was pretty fucking quick to the draw. Joffrey had only just fallen over, clearly something, but he was instantly on the "we need to get the fuck out of here for your safety" wagon. Maybe he made a very early, accurate judgement call, but I dunno. He seemed to know shit was going down very quickly and knew what the fallout would be.

Ollena and the Tyrells also seem to have a soft spot for Sansa and have no reason to implicate her in the murder, knowing her life would be endangered.

If that's the case, then why even use Sansa's necklace in the first place as a means to smuggle in the poison?

televator

I'm on the same bandwagon as you about the Tyrells, but I'm assuming the Jester guy is in it with them. Huh... I guess we'll find out for sure, but I think it's more likely that the guy has been tasked with sneaking Sansa off to High Garden.

Jackpot

Banned
Are we allowed to talk about trailers in this thread?

If so:

outtake spoiler?

http://i.imgur.com/CO9PU1S.gif

Pre-series preview trailer spoilers

Explains a few scenes from that old trailer. Tyrion in a dungeon saying "i'm not going to be able to talk my way out of this one" and most of all the Oberyn vs Mountain fight. They'll do trial by combat and Oberyn will go for it because he gets to legitimately kill Cersei's champion, fuck up the resolution to Joffery's death, piss off the other Lannisters. It means letting another Lannister live but that's small potatoes.

Episode 3 preview spoilers

Olenna's line to Margery about "your position has markedly improved now that Joffery's dead" reinforces her motive
though I don't really see how. Margery's failure to consumate with Renley was the excuse they used to anull that wedding.

What an episode! Who wrote it? GRRM? Perfect pacing and on top of that:

- Momma Bolton smiling at the "charming" bastard.
- Oleanna sweeping aside her husband XD
- the amazing Ramsay vs Daddy face-off. I think Joffrey's demise kind of detracted to this sequence's epicness.
- Bran progressively loosing his cool, kind demeanour. Another sequence with great delivery.
- Tywin momentarily taming Joffrey when he received the book from his uncle. I would have preferred more of that in his final hour, like showing how Tywin and Margeary efforts would have somehow started to mellow him a bit. The whole cupbearer thing with the uncle was too much of a wink to the audience. Granted, it served a reasonable purpose, but it was treading grounds we've already been to for the last three years.
- DAT Oberyn/Loras eye-fucking XD

Props to those who spotted the whole necklace thing.

That was Oleanna's son, not husband.

-Silver-

I only see Olenna and at one point Loras, not the rest of the Tyrells. They only seem interested since she is the "last" Stark and the key to the north.

Volimar

Pre-series preview trailer spoilers

Explains a few scenes from that old trailer. Tyrion in a dungeon saying "i'm not going to be able to talk my way out of this one" and most of all the Oberyn vs Mountain fight. They'll do trial by combat and Oberyn will go for it because he gets to legitimately kill Cersei's champion, fuck up the resolution to Joffery's death, piss off the other Lannisters. It means letting another Lannister live but that's small potatoes.

Episode 3 preview spoilers

Olenna's line to Margery about "your position has markedly improved now that Joffery's dead" reinforces her motive
though I don't really see how. Margery's failure to consumate with Renley was the excuse they used to anull that wedding.

Unless...she's already pregnant...with Joffrey or someone else's kid. Pure conjecture though.

She already seems to have the people on her side. Wonder what'll happen.

Doffen

Had a stupid shock/grin-look on my face the entire scene. Justice at last!
Oh an Jack Gleeson played the role extremely well, in my opinion.

I had hoped though that it would be a Stark who killed him.

televator

Did anybody else notice that Bran not only had the vision of a dragon over king's landing but also saw the same vision of the iron throne as... Dani. Dun dun DUN. Little stark sharing visions with the mother of dragons... What does it all mean?

Volimar

Is Tommen old enough to be king yet? If not, who stands in for him? Cersei?

Hence my conspirscy theory that Cersei did it. She couldn't control Joffrey well before the wedding, and now his new wife would have him wrapped around her finger. She offs him and can stay in power through Tommen.

EatChildren

If that's the case, then why even use Sansa's necklace in the first place as a means to smuggle in the poison?

I'd say the difficulty of getting shit done in Kings Landing. Spies everywhere, especially watching royalty. Tyrion makes a very clear point of this in his concern to Bron, and it's something echoed throughout the entire series with characters like Varys and Littlefinger. Nobody of significance can take a piss or fuck without someone finding out, and even Jamie reiterates this when Tyrion suggests he have someone teach him how to fight with his left hand. Smuggling in poison I'd assume would be a pretty big fucking if: always people watching the docks, tracking shit going in and out, spies outside of the city. It might seem trivial and easy but I dunno, the point seems to be nobody in positions of interest can do anything without someone catching wind.

I also kind of took Varys reaction to the event as a "I know what's going on, but only because I'm reading the situation as it's happening, and actually a little bit surprise that the obvious is entirely new to me."

Could be wrong about that though.

I'm on the same bandwagon as you about the Tyrells, but I'm assuming the Jester guy is in it with them. Huh... I guess we'll find out for sure, but I think it's more likely that the guy has been tasked with sneaking Sansa off to High Garden.

Oh I think the Jester/Drunk is in on it. Maybe he isn't escaping Sansa for the Tyrells so much as himself. No idea.

I only see Olenna and at one point Loras, not the rest of the Tyrells. They only seem interested since she is the "last" Stark and the key to the north.

Olenna doesn't seem 100% politically motivated though. I know that's like...the thing with Game of Thrones. Everyone is. But unless Olenna has me tricked too she does seem to combine her sass, wit, and political scheming with genuine empathy. Joffrey was a colossal piece of shit and her granddaughter was marrying him, and she'd knowing know she wouldn't be safe with him no matter what. Whatever her ultimate reasons, seeing him die would potentially free her granddaughter, and she has no reason to implicate or punish Sansa, who is empathetically like what her granddaughter could end up.

Hence my conspirscy theory that Cersei did it. She couldn't control Joffrey well before the wedding, and now his new wife would have him wrapped around her finger. She offs him and can stay in power through Tommen.

See, I'd believe this because it makes sense, but I don't see Cersei as that vindictive against her own children. For all of Joffrey's awfulness to not just others but her, she's also weirdly protective and obsessive over him, even when she recognises his tremendous flaws. She also seems to subscribe quite openly to the Lannister lust for power, which while gives weight to her killing her son, conflicts with the fact she's still expected to marry Loris (maybe not now) and that her father is still going to sell her off. She knows Tywin ultimately controls the strings and she'd be better off making daddy disappear if she really wanted to start securing shit.

I definitely think Olenna did the hit. The necklace showed up in the last episode out of nowhere, and we have screencaps of her taking one of the "Jewels". From there she just slips it in Joffery's golbet, which was given to him by Olenna's husband. The fool gave her the necklace and immediately told Sansa to escape, before it was even obvious what was going on, so he's implicated twice in the plot. Sansa couldn't have known about it because she unwittingly wore the necklace - they also could have asked to wear it but chose not to.

As for why I think Joffery's reputation for carving women up made Olenna afraid Margery would be hurt or even killed by Joffery. Varys and Littlefinger are basically implicated in every plot in the city so presumably they had something to do with it. Varys was speaking to Olenna a lot last season so he probably helped procure the poison.

Doesn't the kings hand take some level of control when the king can't act?

If so tywin can now say he will take control until tommen comes of age.

So I think the grandma did the poisoning but I reckon tywin had some part in it.

Also, something in the pie plus the stone is the poison (a reaction). How else can the grandma drink from that cup without being poisoned? I think Tyrion picked up a goblet from her table.

Mashing

I have to say the camera work in this episode was fucking sublime. It's not very often that they tell a story just by the camera work alone.

Nameless

The only thing with Varys being a conspirator is I don't see him signing off on Tyrion talking the fall. Not that friendship means much in Kings Landing, but by all accounts he legitimately sees Tyrion as one of the few people able to affect positive change in the Realm.

EatChildren

I have to say the camera work in this episode was fucking sublime. It's not very often that they tell a story just by the camera work alone.

Even though I think it was obviously Olenna as a major involvement in the conspiracy due to the way the narrative was structured across this episode and the last, and the way it was shot, I did love how many character reactions and little scenes they deliberately framed and how rapidly it cut between them as the climax loomed. Really painting a picture of the amount of parties that could believably be involved.

Volimar

I really wish HBO would open up their programming more to streaming services (other than hbogo). Kills me not to be able to watch these. I'd try one of "those" streaming sites, but I don't know what's a real one and what's going to take over my computer and turn it into a killing machine.

HBO is just too expensive for me right now, especially for just one show, even GoT...

He wanted to leave. It was Joffrey who insisted he pour him wine, the same wine the others were drinking, and pour into into the same goblet Joffrey drank from throughout the wedding. So at what point could Tyrion have poisoned him? There were countless witnesses who all saw Tyrion pressured into giving the King his cup.

Are they really going to want to execute him based on the shrills of a heart broken mother who loathes him anyway?

Surely Jamie and her father will recognise this..

See, I'd believe this because it makes sense, but I don't see Cersei as that vindictive against her own children. For all of Joffrey's awfulness to not just others but her, she's also weirdly protective and obsessive over him, even when she recognises his tremendous flaws. She also seems to subscribe quite openly to the Lannister lust for power, which while gives weight to her killing her son, conflicts with the fact she's still expected to marry Loris (maybe not now) and that her father is still going to sell her off. She knows Tywin ultimately controls the strings and she'd be better off making daddy disappear if she really wanted to start securing shit.

There was a moment, however, where she over-ruled the new Queen's order that the leftovers be given to the poor. It was sort of an under handed remark that she gave that dismissed the suggestion she was no longer Queen - as if she knew that, ultimately, she would in fact still be so by the end of the day.

He wanted to leave. It was Joffrey who insisted he pour him wine, the same wine the others were drinking, and pour into into the same goblet Joffrey drank from throughout the wedding. So at what point could Tyrion have poisoned him? There were countless witnesses who all saw Tyrion pressured into giving the King his cup.

Are they really going to want to execute him based on the shrills of a heart broken mother who loathes him anyway?

Surely Jamie and her father will recognise this..

That is why I think tywin may have also had something to do with it. He is pretty chummy with olena, as chummy with her as anyone, and with tommen only being a child, he will take control of the kingdom as he is the kings hand.

He has a good reason to blame Tyrian and let him take the wrap for the murder.

Does this mean that Margaery is still Queen?

There's a lot to answer in the next episode. Can't wait.

They didn't consummate the marriage so no, I don't think. But maybe she just marries the younger brother. I think the deal between the two families still holds.

The wedding reception/feast scene is 20 minutes and 10 seconds. That's 20 continuous minutes in a single scene at the same location. To have all those character interactions, to have all those things for characters to say and do to each other, and all the subtextual things going on in the camera work and the exhanged glances, all in the same place in real-time for such a long stretch and without cutting away is an amazing feat of television making. No other TV show does this. Not even movies do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom