• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

But why would Lady Olenna do such a thing? I mean as much as she despises Joffrey, she knows her granddaughters best interest is that he has to live at least until she's pregnant. Now the throne either goes to Tommen or Stannis etc steps back in the game.

Currently she nor her family doesn't gain anything to kill him. They do lose a lot though.

They wouldn't give it to Stannis while Tommen is still in King's Landing. For how much they scheme, I'm sure Olenna would prefer a kid on the throne they could manipulate vs Joffery. I'm pretty sure everyone but Cersei would prefer it for that matter...

Also thank god for HBO's servers not taking a huge shit again this time.

Khaz

Joffrey's death happened after the wedding. Margaery should still be queen, right?

They need a male to sit on the throne, she may be allowed to rule for a few weeks (more realistically the Hand will) but ultimately if she isn't already certified pregnant then they have to check the lineage to find the nearest male, which would be Tommen, Then Stannis.

studyguy

They need a male to sit on the throne, she may be allowed to rule for a few weeks (more realistically the Hand will) but ultimately if she isn't already certified pregnant then they have to check the lineage to find the nearest male, which would be Tommen, Then Stannis.

They'd never give it to Stannis though, that's basically asking to put your head on a stake.

Vashetti

Banned
But why would Lady Olenna do such a thing? I mean as much as she despises Joffrey, she knows her granddaughters best interest is that he has to live at least until she's pregnant. Now the throne either goes to Tommen or Stannis etc steps back in the game.

Currently she nor her family doesn't gain anything to kill him. They do lose a lot though.

They asked Sansa whether Joffrey was a monster or not.

She said yes. She bumped off Joffrey because she didn't want Margaery to suffer as Joffrey's latest plaything.

Kajiba

Man that was just crazy. Just finished it 10 minutes ago. Only the second episode in and the King is dead. I thought that evil, destructive, poisonous boy was going to live till the end of the show and this happen.

Just wow. This show is great.

One of the most lovable villains passes and the Queen of Snores continues to not get eaten alive by her pets.

Daenerys story has gotten a tad dry. They need to get her and her army on a boat already and begin sailing towards Westeros. Either that or shift focus away from her until she is ready to take the throne. We've already seen her liberate slaves, it'd be uncessary to dedicate more screen time only to see her do it again, unless something interesting happens to shake things up.

Khaz

They'd never give it to Stannis though, that's basically asking to put your head on a stake.

Well Sean Bean lost his head because he refused to crown Joffrey, not because of Stannis. Stannis went to war because he didn't believe Joffrey to be the rightful heir, but everybody agrees he's next in line if both the sons of Robert die.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Rose said:
Tommen Baratheon was recast starting in Season 4. He is now played by Dean-Charles Chapman, replacing Callum Wharry. Chapman formerly played Martyn Lannister in Season 3 - though given that Martyn is Tommen's first cousin, they would logically have similar appearances. Wharry appeared as Tommen in Season 1 but had no speaking lines; he returned in Season 2 and actually did have speaking lines with Cersei in two short scenes, but afterwards the character did not appear for all of Season 3.

Dammit I don't mind the recast that much but couldn't they at least take someone who wasn't already in the series?

Tabris

Man his death face made me feel bad for a moment. Then I rewinded it and saw him belittle Tyrion and I was like YES. DIE!

I also re-watched the last scene of Arya killing the man and I realized I was happy about it, when it's actually very tragic. It's weird how this story has us cheering for the transition of an adventurous innocent tomboy girl into a downright cold-blooded murderer. Justice turns into Revenge turns into Passion (she was smiling as she killed the man).

Powerful stuff.

Tabris

I also find this show a bit confusing on whether Rhagar was the bad guy or the good guy.

It keeps on flipping from him kidnapping Robert's wife/Ned's sister to him just falling in love with her and them running off. This Obereen guy talks like Rhagar was a saint. Like I know the King was insane, but it sounds like his son wasn't.

studyguy

Well Sean Bean lost his head because he refused to crown Joffrey, not because of Stannis. Stannis went to war because he didn't believe Joffrey to be the rightful heir, but everybody agrees he's next in line if both the sons of Robert die.

Sean Bean lost his head because
he's Sean Bean.
Also it's less the matter of who is rightfully king and more who would get the crown without collateral damage. No one at King's Landing would hand Stannis the crown and expect to live. Rather you'd probably see Tywin himself or someone else get forced into the position should Tommen die.

The court's only going to care who's king so long as it pushes their plans forward, letting Stannis in effectively puts everyone at the main court on the chopping block.

Why you posting unmarked spoilers bro

I had OHMSS spoiled for me before I watched it and I was pissed. It ruined the most powerful scene in Bond history.

Every third Bond movie drops this spoiler, and the movie itself is 45 years old. I mean, I hate spoilers and all, but that one's well past the expiration date. Anyway, I marked it.

Minion101

Banned
iDK6WgThtLol8.jpg

No way Tyrion's mistress is going to live now.

99% sure it's Ollenna.

No way it's Cersei, Jamie or Tyrion. Tywin is possible but I doubt it. Sansa is very very unlikely.

Viserys might be involved but again I highly doubt it.

Old lady is the only one that's probable.

Edit: by Viserys I meant the bald guy

Wait didn't Sansa give the goblet to Tyrion?

Edwardo

I don't hate her, but I don't like her. If something terrible happened to her I wouldn't think twice about it. She's currently the most boring character on the show, but I know they're obviously leading up to her being like the most important character.

I felt that way about Robb Stark. The Red Wedding was definitely a shock, but I didnt care that much about him either way.

The unbolded part is how I feel similarly about Bran. I do like him, but I feel like there's nothing going on in his scenes. Different visions over and over dont do much for me. I'll probably enjoy him more once they get to where theyre going.

Roflobear

Wasn't it Olenna who shouted for someone to help the king because he was choking? Seems like someone who poisoned the king would say as a way to throw suspicion off of them. The only missing piece of the puzzle is why she would do it. Maybe Margaery is secretly pregnant or something?

Wait, I just realized that both deaths this season have been people we don't like.
Maybe Cersei will actually go...

Who was the other death? I can't remember for some reason. And as much as I hate Cersei, we need at least one hateable character lol

Mario007

I also find this show a bit confusing on whether Rhagar was the bad guy or the good guy.

It keeps on flipping from him kidnapping Robert's wife/Ned's sister to him just falling in love with her and them running off. This Obereen guy talks like Rhagar was a saint. Like I know the King was insane, but it sounds like his son wasn't.

That's kinda the whole point. Obviously Robert would think Rheagar kidnapped Ned's sister since he loved her. I would be more inclined to believer Oberyn's implications though as much more of a neutral observer.

antitrop

I felt that way about Robb Stark. The Red Wedding was definitely a shock, but I didnt care that much about him either way.

The unbolded part is how I feel similarly about Bran. I do like him, but I feel like there's nothing going on in his scenes. Different visions over and over dont do much for me. I'll probably enjoy him more once they get to where theyre going.
Thankfully, they don't spend as much time on Bran's currently boring subplot as they do Danny.

Nameless

Who was the girl hunting with Ramsay? Have we seen her before?

And where is Rickon and that former wildling?

She was one of the women he gets to arouse Theon before.....

Rickon and Osha are heading to The Last Hearth, stronghold of The Umbers. Greatjon Umber was one of Robb's bannermen and generals. You might remember Robb's wolf biting off his fingers.

greatjon.png

It doesn't bother me that Jack Gleeson is retiring from acting for academic pursuits given his natural passion for intellectualism and distaste for the celebrity, but I hope he recognises that beyond the fandom and nonsense his contribution to performance art is ultimately one of the strongest in the entire show. If that's all he ever wants to do, he should sit well knowing he delivered in spades and accomplished exactly what all great actors should: emotional resonance with the audience.

Well said.

And if Tyrion is framed then there isn't any Lanisters in line for Casterly Rock right?
Its just Jamie and Tyrion, and Jamie is out of the line of Succession.

So she screws over the Lanisters pretty badly.

Oh shit. If Tyrion is executed, Cersei is the only inheritor to Casterly Rock... and she's going to marry Loras Tyrell. By law, that would make Loras lord of Casterly Rock. Meanwhile, Tommen is heir to the throne after Joffrey. He needs a wife and the Lannister's still need the Tyrell's grain supplies. Margery never consummated her marriage to Joffrey, so she's free to marry Tommen - whom she is much older than and will be able to control more effectively than Joffrey. Granny Tyrell might have just gone for the brass ring, taking the throne, Casterly Rock, and holding the food supply for the entire realm.

Where does he do that? Cant really remember any instance in the first 2 episodes. I dont think Oberyn appreciates the fact Rhaegar dumped his sister to run off with someone else.

Enco

Wait didn't Sansa give the goblet to Tyrion?
True.

Wasn't there a switchover or something? And the whole Granny playing with her necklace thing and the drunk guy telling her to come with him. Those things lead away from her being it in my opinion.

Edit: how did granny predict that Tyrion would be called out? What if he wasn't? What would her plan have been? Sneakily poison his cup?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
For some reason I think it's the Jester that had something to do with it...Olenna is too obvious a choice and not a very smart one, she's far too smart to do something like that.

Edit: how did granny predict that Tyrion would be called out? What if he wasn't? What would her plan have been? Sneakily poison his cup?

Perhaps these are all red herrings and the cup itself was laced with poison to begin with? He was only ever going to drink from the cup the Tyrell's gifted him, and I doubt they would hinge the success of assissnating the king on the off chance he'd get into a row with his uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom