• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

DEAR DO YOU REMEMBER THE SEAGULLS?

Yeah no shit, I'm the fucking Mannis.

818730805_1160178.gif

The usurper Renly Baratheon
The usurper Robb Stark
The usurper Joffrey Baratheon
The usurper Balon Greyjoy

It's only a matter of time before The War of Four Fake Kings is officially at an end and the Chosen One steps into the light.

6-7ThronesStannis.jpg

happened to me last week. two sentences. biggest spoiler in my personal history.

I subscribed. I only enter this thread through those means.

I had Robs death spoiled by typing Rob Stark in google and it auto-completed the rest. Not risking anymore spoilers.

Roflobear

I subscribed. I only enter this thread through those means.

I had Robs death spoiled by typing Rob Stark in google and it auto-completed the rest. Not risking anymore spoilers.

I had it spoiled by typing Walder Frey into Google Image to see who he was since I forgot. Some idiot made a dumb meme that was near the top of the results that spoiled it for me

Raiden

Banned
Fuck me, I read the wrong thread.

GG.

Someone on FB posted "Finally" and the first response was "it only took them 4 seasons" i immediatly knew he was talking about Joffrey.

Dont know how i feel about it though, was secretly hoping he'd have a more brutal death by the hand of Tyrion, Arya or Sansa.

Volimar

Someone on FB posted "Finally" and the first response was "it only took them 4 seasons" i immediatly knew he was talking about Joffrey.

Dont know how i feel about it though, was secretly hoping he'd have a more brutal death by the hand of Tyrion, Arya or Sansa.

I was spoiled on the red wedding, except for Cat. Still rocked me like a hurricane when I saw it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I didn't realize how much of a maniac Joffrey was until the last episode. He was cackling like a lunatic - squirming in his seat, spit flying from his mouth - at the performance of the 5 little kings. It wasn't until that moment when I realized the kingdom was in the hands of a certifiable psychopath. The reoccurring and offsetting shot of Sansa staring frozenly at the performance was superb.

pretty weird...
And where is Rickon and that former wildling?

Rickon is off getting re-casted I assume.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I wonder if Stannis will survive to the end or if he'll die then Melisandre will command his forces as a holy army of some sorts

okayfrog

Banned
The usurper Renly Baratheon
The usurper Robb Stark
The usurper Joffrey Baratheon
The usurper Balon Greyjoy

It's only a matter of time before The War of Four Fake Kings is officially at an end and the Chosen One steps into the light.

6-7ThronesStannis.jpg

Stannis the Motherfucking Mannis

Goddamn is his leitmotif perfect.

RocBase

now that he is dead, who am i going to hate, and if they kill tyrion i will riot!

I was going to suggest Cersei but this answer is fine too.

A friend said aloud during that scene, "She's great."

Indeed, I think the Tyrell's are my favorite family. Less patriarchal and seemingly good, but not as foolishly honorable as the Starks.
Same! Amidst all the craziness they're probably the most sane family.

inm8num2

The only thing it means is that when a pie is full of birds and you cleave it, some of the birds are going to get cleaved too.

Ha yea I didn't read too much into that shot either, other than confirming that Joffrey was an impulsive asshole who did things like hack into a giant cake with his new toy.

I'm still a few pages back, so forgive me if this theory has already been discussed to death (no pun intended):

Most seem to be looking at individuals you could perceive as an enemy against the throne and the Lannisters, but the more I think about it, the more I go back to Tywin.
Doesn't have have the most to gain (as far as the BIG picture) from Joffrey dying?

-Joffrey was psychotic. Tywin knew that and you could tell he despised the boy. For a man that plays 'the game' almost flawlessly, having an unpredictable maniac like Joff on the throne creates a lot of problems for him strategically.

-Joffrey had formed a hell of an ego. As much as he wanted to sit at council meetings, you could tell he had no interest in the way he was being advised by others. Tywin's getting older and possibly felt his grasp on "the boy king" was getting weaker by the day. Tywin could outwit Joff instantly, but maybe he felt he couldn't out-power him any longer? Joff didn't consider himself a child any more, but a supreme ruler. The moment Tywin realized he could not control the boy any more, he became a major liability.

-I imagine Tywin played a hand in Robert's death (sorry if that deserves a bit "DUH!" response :p). It was clear that Robert's death wasn't truly an accident, but if you have Tywin as 'the phantom menace', setting the pieces in place, getting the Lannisters in a true position of power within Kings Landing, it all makes sense. Tywin even mentions (can't remember the exact quote) that the family gaining power and status supersedes individual emotional attachment... or something along those lines. Ending Joffrey could be perceived as benefiting the entire family AND their control of the realm. Even though Margery (sp?) helped, ole' Joff had what you might call a bit of an 'image problem'.

-Tywin knew Joff truly was the product of an incestuous relationship between his children. This is making an assumption on Tywin's overall character, but perhaps that was enough for the boy to inherit a death sentence from his perspective? Get him on the throne, end him before Stark's "rumor" is dug up even more, bury that past forever.

-Tywin wanted to unite the Lannisters with the Tyrells to expand power, but I get the feeling he wasn't crazy about the Tyrells actually benefiting from that arrangement? Sure, the marriage (if I'm understanding correctly) is now null-and-void for the throne, but they still have a potential connection with Cersei and Lorias that still unites the houses, but prevents Marg from gaining power when (and yes, it was inevitable) Joff bites the dust.

-Tywin also despises Tyrion and he knows Tyrion despises Joffrey. He has seem Joff openly mock Tyrion and he might even know an attempt has already been made on Tyrion's life. That's automatic motive, at least on the surface, for Tyrion to go after Joffrey. Tywin has been looking for a helpful 'purpose' for the imp... and being the scapegoat for Joff's death just seems perfect in a twisted way. Two birds, one stone. This one is a bit of a stretch, but Tywin simply doesn't seem to care for Tyrion's existence and also can't straight-up kill his son. This leads me to the next thought:

-Poison. Isn't poison considered the coward's method of assassination? It might have also been referred to as the "woman's way", but maybe I'm mixing that up with something else? Regardless, if the individual(s) that organized the killing wanted to set the narrative, the method is key... and poison could point away from the true guilty party.

-The crown goes to Joff's younger brother, I assume, and although still technically a Baratheon, he's been among the Lannisters his whole life, and might be an easier, less unpredictable puppet for Tywin to control the throne with.

I think it would be a brilliant play by a man who has already shown he knows how to make the chips fall in his favor.
It also seems to me he would be one of the last people suspected, especially due to his high standings and respect among his people and army.

Great episode, though.
Seeing Theon's reaction to hearing Robb was dead was heartbreaking.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think Bastards have no claim. I could be wrong

No, you are absolutely right. But Joffrey still had all of Robert's bastards slaughtered a season or two ago for good measure.

Kreunt

Banned
Watched the end of the episode again.
When Joffrey goes to cut the pie, he drinks from the cup and then hands it to Margaery and she puts it down on the edge of their table, across from where Olenna is sitting.

The next time he drinks from the cup, he dies.

edit: the only other person to touch the cup between then and his death is Tyrion, so basically its either Tyrion, Margaery, or Olenna with some sleight of hand while everyone is watching him cut the pie.

Minion101

Banned
-The crown goes to Joff's younger brother, I assume, and although still technically a Baratheon, he's been among the Lannisters his whole life, and might be an easier, less unpredictable puppet for Tywin to control the throne with.

Great episode, though.
Seeing Theon's reaction to hearing Robb was dead was heartbreaking.

Would Margaery Tyrell still hold power if the crown goes to Joff's brother?

Theon has it the worst. I hate seeing what he's going through..

I think it would be a brilliant play by a man who has already shown he knows how to make the chips fall in his favor.
It also seems to me he would be one of the last people suspected, especially due to his high standings and respect among his people and army.
Tywin is on my list of (300) suspects, but when you put it that way, I also thought of Littlefinger, at least from the perspective of now finally having an excuse to whisk Sansa away from King's Landing. I definitely feel that the Tyrells were in on it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom