• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

The CGI is fine I don't get the complains, it's better than even some movies.

The problem with that scene was not the CGI, it was the terrible fighting choreography.

Koodo

Banned
Do we have any single thing left to root for?
lol, it's season 5. I'm not sure how anyone can still be trying to find something to root for, or thinking there is anything remotely resembling a rigid black and white division between good and evil.

Game of Thrones is completely GREY, and every character is shady as fuck. The title of the show itself alludes to the constant backstabbings.

But anyway, I agree that this was NOT out of character for Stannis. He's always been blindly devout to the religion. The only person out of character was the mother, whose newfound remorse wasn't telegraphed in any prior episode to my knowledge.

And I also agree that the fight choreography during the Meereen scene was bad (not so much the CGI). Dumb choreography has been a problem all season, especially in Dorne. Not sure what caused the enormous dip in quality after the excellent Mountain v. Viper in Season 4.

Apt101

Yeah, so Fuck Stannis.

I was hoping Shireen had some wicked demon power or something to get out of the bindign and kill the red woman. Damn

I love how Dany peaces the fuck out and leaves her loyal friends behind. Terrible special effects in the end there.

So the other two dragons are untamed and don't heed to Dany, right? I know the black one was named after Drogo and I believe after her father's dragon, but the other two sound like they are going to be a problem. I take it that it knows when Dany is in distress or what?

Yea it's pretty clear they share a connection. The dragon raced there when she was in peril and only attacked her enemies.

One of the reasons that Robert Baratheon was chose to take the Iron Throne is because House Baratheon has blood ties to the Targaryens. The founder of House Baratheon is a Targaryen bastard.

This is getting into the supplemental material but yes they mean targaryen blood. There is some link between them and the baratheons

Does any of the other houses have King's Blood? Stark?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Why is everyone forgetting that Stannis has been under Melisandre's spell since the beginning? The very first time we saw him he was burning people alive. He's let some wicked shit happen up to now, and it's all culminated to this point.

Out of character? What show have yall been watching? Just because he had one scene bonding with her doesn't mean he's a saint.

Apt101

I dunno, he's in a position where he WILL die and lose in the blizzard, where he has no faith in Davos coming back, and he is in a position where if he doesn't march then everyone dies and it's all for nothing.

So sacrificing his daughter because melisandre says it's the only way..yeah I can see him doing that.

Yea I guess I see what GRRM and the writers are saying, I just, damn. Maybe I'm still in shock. I really liked that little girl, one of the truly innocent and kind people in the whole damn show.

Griss

The problem with Stannis was that we didn't see him suffer enough hardship on the road to see him justify killing his daughter, and don't see enough emotion during the act. If his back was utterly to the wall and he wept as he did it I could maybe - maybe! - understand, but it just seemed so weak-willed from a man who has an iron will.

'Jeez we're stuck in the ice. Davos says we should retreat, I could wait for reinforcements from Jon, I could press on and deal with casualties and see how far we get. But fuck it, before any of that, let's kill my beloved daughter and only heir'.

Sorry, it's too quick. Too much of a leap.

The One and Done™;166831260 said:
You better be careful

Careful of what? That prediction post was made long, long before I had anything from the episode spoiled, which was only about 20 minutes beforehand. And the only thing I had spoiled was a pic of Shireen tied to a stake, which I still believed Stannis would save her from until the very end. Won't apologise for speculating, it's part of the fun. I do it every week, and have never been properly right about everything before tonight.

That Arya scene was a straight up Assassin's Creed eavesdropping mission

I had that *exact* same thought. She'll be using eagle vision next to track Trant through the streets.

What I'm saying is this: everything Stannis has done has been completely in character for a motivated claimant of the throne in Westeros. Including killing people for disagreeing with him (religion), attacking his own blood, and living by his oaths and what he believes are his claims. This, murdering his daughter, is a whole other level.

Exactly. This is leaps and bounds beyond anything else you can do. This is the single most evil act a man can commit, in the most brutal fashion.

Few people seem to be talking about Dany getting grayscale. They made a point to show Jorah touching her repeatedly, and then made a point to show Dany holding hands with her translator girl (who also has the disease now, presumably). Not telling his queen about his infection would fall right in line with Jorah's character, too.

Yup, I noticed that as well. Especially holding hands with Missandei.

But at this point we still don't know if you can get it just by touching someone, as long as it's not the part with greyscale.

The show has done a shitty job explaining it, Shireen (rip sweet girl) got it from touching a toy, which would make you think that it could very easily be spread, but so far no one Jorah has been in contact with has gotten it, and considering how fast it showed up on his skin, it would spread just as quickly to others.

He's been touching that cloth covering it over and over, so you'd think the contagious bit would be all over, considering how Shireen got it.

It kinda annoys me, this show isn't very messy with details, but in this case it is.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought the CGI was a little iffy during the last scene but I couldn't give any less shits about it. WE JUST SAW DANY RIDING A GODDAMN DRAGON

We've been hearing about this since season 1 and it finally happened.

Gaz_RB

They need to hire whoever does the fight choreography for Spartacus. What was going on in this episode was just hilarious and mildly depressing. Biggest obstacle for me declaring this one of the best shows ever.

bill0527

I'm trying to put some serious thought on what I'm about to say.

This show is fucked up.

I mean its really fucked up.

I don't know if I feel the need to try and be entertained anymore by this. Its like every season, the goal is to show just how fucking awful humanity can be. There are no heroes, no winners...just a constant race to the bottom of human depravity.

I'll watch the season finale but I think I'm done.

Koodo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Jorah has touched Tyrion before, and he's fine so far.

I am under the assumption you need to touch the infected portion, which is why touching a stone person is an instant infection since the disease has spread all over.

Scrooged

The problem with Stannis was that we didn't see him suffer enough hardship on the road to see him justify killing his daughter, and don't see enough emotion during the act. If his back was utterly to the wall and he wept as he did it I could maybe - maybe! - understand, but it just seemed so weak-willed from a man who has an iron will.

'Jeez we're stuck in the ice. Davos says we should retreat, I could wait for reinforcements from Jon, I could press on and deal with casualties and see how far we get. But fuck it, before any of that, let's kill my beloved daughter and only heir'.

Sorry, it's too quick. Too much of a leap.

They have literally been setting this up since the first season. Burning people for the God of Light? Check. Willing to kill or at least kidnap and torture heirs to the throne? Check. Having a God on your side as a reason to do evil things? Check.

You're just shocked and not thinking about this in context of what Stannis and Melisandre has done over the years.

Not out of character at all. Stannis has been sacrificing people since his very first scene. The show has never given any indication that he wouldn't kill someone in his family to get what he wants. His first major act in the show was actually exactly that, when he assassinated Renly.

In retrospect, his touching scene with Shireen is unnerving. "You are the Princess Shireen of House Baratheon, and you are my daughter." The former trumps the latter. Her worth as a royal blood sacrifice won out.
Throughout the entire season they've shown him drift farther and farther away from Melisandre and closer to his daughter and now because 20 good men off-screen set the camp ablaze he just lights his daughter and heir on fire? nah

To those on the Stannis bandwagon before this episode....
menace-gif.gif

I'm pretty sure Jorah has touched Tyrion before, and he's fine so far.

I am under the assumption you need to touch the infected portion, which is why touching a stone person is an instant infection since the disease has spread all over.

Right, but then that completely contradicts how they explained how Shireen got infected.

Disgraced

The main problem I have with the Shireen bit tonight was Lady Selyse giving a shit about Shireen. Yeah, it could be maternal instinct, but up to this point the only emotions she's had for her daughter have been resent and embarrassment; she's never been shown to give a shit about her daughter.

This show is fucked up.

I don't know if I feel the need to try and be entertained anymore by this. Its like every season, the goal is to show just how fucking awful humanity can be. There are no heroes, no winners...just a constant race to the bottom of human depravity.

At least this show has character motivations that people can at least understand, if not sympathize with. And also, yeah I mean thats kinda the reason people love this series. It isn't black and white.

Shadow780

Anybody notice Carice van Houten smiling at the burning? I know acting and shit but damn, I don't know how she get to keep a psychotic grin on her face during that scene.

Ralemont

not me
Throughout the entire season they've shown him drift farther and farther away from Melisandre and closer to his daughter and now because 20 good men off-screen set the camp ablaze he just lights his daughter on fire? nah

What? No they haven't. They had one scene where he talks to Shireen. Leaving Melisandre at Castle Black might have shown this, but he doesn't. He brings her. He burns Mance in the first episode of the season. I don't see any evidence that he's losing faith in Melisandre.

Einchy

Throughout the entire season they've shown him drift farther and farther away from Melisandre and closer to his daughter and now because 20 good men off-screen set the camp ablaze he just lights his daughter on fire? nah

It's been shit for him since he left Castle Black. Nothing but bad things have happened to his troops since then and they were all doing to die there before they even reached Winterfell without doing something.

You're pissed that your boy murdered his own daughter but it makes perfect sense from what we have seen and from the person he is.

It's one thing if "God" came to you and told you to do something and it is another when you are getting third hand information from "Him". Kill you own daughter? Abraham had a hard time doing it and it was straight from God's mouth. I abhor Stannis, always have and now the only person I hate more than him is Ramsey.

That final scene made me jump and cheer, heart racing. Hot damn I love me some Mother of Dragons!

EDIT: Now, my only problem is who do I want to take Winterfell? The Boltons (spits) or Stannis? I reeeeeally hope Jon Snow and Co come riding in with the wildlings and kill everyone.

Yeah, I wish Jon Snow would become king of everything.

MikeyB

This show is fucked up.

It started with a beheading, incest, a child being pushed out of a tower, and another child being sold into marriage.

It shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

LOL #TeamStannis is no more

What a damn shame he had to do that! I guess that means he'll win whatever battles he has coming up next. I wonder what other stupid prophecy needs to be fulfilled for him after his next battle.

Griss

They have literally been setting this up since the first season. Burning people for the God of Light? Check. Willing to kill or at least kidnap and torture heirs to the throne? Check. Having a God on your side as a reason to do evil things? Check.

You're just shocked and not thinking about this in context of what Stannis and Melisandre has done over the years.

Did you read my comment? I know it was foreshadowed, that's not my issue. In fact it was blatantly obvious for over a year what would happen, as I said previously. My problem is that - as I said - it happened too quickly and easily, in circumstances that were hardly dire. From that perspective it was way out of character. It's there in my comment.

To those on the Stannis bandwagon before this episode....
menace-gif.gif

*hanging head like a scolded dog*

ivysaur12

Banned
The main problem I have with the Shireen bit tonight was Lady Selyse giving a shit about Shireen. Yeah, it could be maternal extinct, but up to this point the only emotions she's had for her daughter have been resent and embarrassment; she's never been shown to give a shit about her daughter.

I think that's the interesting part -- she's embarrassed of Shireen. She's the fanatic. But she's the one who breaks, not Stannis. She's acting as you'd expect any parent to act when they see their child burned at the stake, even if you believe there's a fanatic religious reasoning for this action. She does care about Shireen, it just never manifested itself warmly.

Not really? The toy was coated with the disease. It would be like touching an infected wound.

Exactly like Jorah has been doing with his wound? They've shown him touch that cloth covering it, which by your logic is coated with the disease time and time again.

Why is everyone forgetting that Stannis has been under Melisandre's spell since the beginning? The very first time we saw him he was burning people alive. He's let some wicked shit happen up to now, and it's all culminated to this point.

Out of character? What show have yall been watching? Just because he had one scene bonding with her doesn't mean he's a saint.

People started buying into the "Stannis is the Mannis" meme and ignored the fact that he's been a coldblooded piece of shit since he first appeared. He murdered his own brother for the throne, murdering his own daughter next isn't that much of a stretch for me.

Well it looks like Stannis is 100% going to be the new King at least until Danny comes to town. My guess is Sansa makes a plan for the North and fucks the Boltons up, and Stannis thanks the Lord of Light for it... That scene was really rough, I was wincing throughout the entire time she was screaming. . . I am out of camp Stannis now.

Well, someone was complaining yesterday that they want an unlikeable character to help against the WW war.
GOT EEEEEEEEEEEM.

Scrooged

Throughout the entire season they've shown him drift farther and farther away from Melisandre and closer to his daughter and now because 20 good men off-screen set the camp ablaze he just lights his daughter and heir on fire? nah

The point is that he had to make a difficult choice. Either retreat (not an option), die in the snow, or sacrificing his daughter. He has good reason to belive that the sacrifice will work. He's seen what the God of Light can do.

This is a commentary on religion and what it can do to people.

ivysaur12

Banned
Did you read my comment? I know it was foreshadowed, that's not my issue. In fact it was blatantly obvious for over a year what would happen, as I said previously. My problem is that - as I said - it happened too quickly and easily, in circumstances that were hardly dire. From that perspective it was way out of character. It's there in my comment.

Eh. We've been talking about winter coming the whole season. We've seen them struggle since they left the wall. And now they have no food. I don't think Stannis had many options, besides retreat (which he wouldn't do), and Melisandre told him this was the way to win. If you wanted more scenes of them "struggling", that's sort of boring TV. We see they're struggling in the few pops of the troops throughout the episode. We don't need more than that.

Koodo

Banned
Exactly like Jorah has been doing with his wound? They've showed him touch that cloth covering it, which by your logic is coated with the disease time and time again.
Hmm, true.

I am still going to side on Daenerys not being infected, however, just due to Tyrion not showing any symptoms that we know of.

This is the part that makes the least sense to me.

Goddambed highborns who never fought a day in their lives taking on people trained since childhood. Of yeah, and with daggers vs goddamned spears.

didn't read ahead so someone may have already said this but Mereen is a REALLY crappy analogy of the war in the middle east. Insurgents that know the territory with hit-run-hide tactics will cause hell for well trained and well armed military any day of the week. So yeah, that's the only explanation other than plot convenience for how the unsullied are getting destroyed.

This show is fucked up.

I feel almost the exact same way. What's the point anymore? I get it.. anything good will never happen... and if it does it'll only be temporary. The show is just continuing to up the shock value of terrible things happening to those that don't "deserve" them.

What? No they haven't. They had one scene where he talks to Shireen. Leaving Melisandre at Castle Black might have shown this, but he doesn't. He brings her. He burns Mance in the first episode of the season. I don't see any evidence that he's losing faith in Melisandre.
Maybe you haven't been watching the same show I have. From Season 2 it's been obvious about how protecting he is of his daughter and how the one thing he would never do is put her in harm's way, every time Selyse or Melisandre talked about Shireen he'd tell them to fuck off.

sangreal

LOL #TeamStannis is no more

What a damn shame he had to do that! I guess that means he'll win whatever battles he has coming up next. I wonder what other stupid prophecy needs to be fulfilled for him after his next battle.

It's not no more... Just lonely 😐

I'm still hoping he lives up to the deal be proposed for the watch tonight

Limit

What would have "slightly" redeemed Stannis if a single tear rolled down his cheek as he saw his own daughter burning. Just give us something dammit. Show that you have some semblance of humanity left behind this fanatic mindset of getting to the throne. But.... nothing. His own men were disgusted by this action. Pretend to care so that you don't lose them from a morale standpoint?

I don't see any redemption arc for Stannis. Nowhere to go to but hell now. Let Brienne kill her. Just do it.

The only expectation I have from Stannis is for him to explain to Ser Davos, vis a vis, the audience, how he could kill his own daughter. For what reason? What is his justification? What is so special about the throne that he is willing to give up everything for it? Just give us that much.

Please you punks can't shame me for formely being on #TeamStannistheMannis, I don't regret one bit of it and I would do it again.

Now it's all about #TeamNightKing

The point is that he had to make a difficult choice. Either retreat (not an option), die in the snow, or sacrificing his daughter. He has good reason to belive that the sacrifice will work. He's seen what the God of Light can do.

This is a commentary on religion and what it can do to people.
Oh wow the commentary is so deep, thanks D&D for opening my mind to the world of religious indoctrination.

Einchy

Wonder what the Lord of Light is going to do to actually help Stannis.

There's a blizzard going on, he has no food left, barely any shelter and he has lost a fuck ton of men either from dying or from running away.

I don't see how The Lord of Light can help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom