• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LLShC.gif

Apt101

Oh I forgot about the Sand Snakes. I thought they were funny in this episode. Also yay that Bronn lives to swashbuckle another day.

shout out to Jorah.. You still her friend and nothing more but anyway hold this W for regaining her trust back.

Hah, he's going to die a slow bitter death in the friendzone.

Disgraced

Seeing a child being burnt alive in a ritual sacrifice as she pleads for her father has to decimate morale in what's left of the army. These are hired mercenaries for the Iron Bank right? They can't be that loyal to Stannis.
Yeah, but exactly they're also only sellswords, cannon fodder. They can't be that educated, like most medieval low folk they're probably very superstitious, not to mention also due to their time period very accustomed to child violence--all of this amounting to toleration of this kind of shit. It's fucked up, but it does fit.

mantidor

I definitely disagree about Jorah's fight scenes. While there were some cool moments, most of the fighting was laughable.

Just because fight scenes in movies and tv aren't often that good doesn't mean it has to be that way, and numerous movies and tv shows have proven that.

This is specially true after coming from Hardhome, which was the best fighting action sequence I've seen on a TV show.

I knew all these bandwagon Stannis fans didn't have the stomach for the One True Conquest.

Shireen's death is fucked, really fucked, but what happened last week at Hardhome is even more fucked. Stannis believes the future of mankind depends of him taking the Iron Throne and leading the Seven Kingdom through the Long Night. That's the 'destiny' he spoke of. Will this ultimately serve the greater good?I don't know. But that's at least partly the idea here.
bandwagon, pssh

Vire

So this episode basically proves the sand snakes were completely irrelevant and a giant waste of time and resources?

Great job D&D.

I don't mind the Stannis stuff because I always thought he was scum of the universe. I liked Shireen so it was tough to watch though.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I knew all these bandwagon Stannis fans didn't have the stomach for the One True Conquest.

Shireen's death is fucked, really fucked, but what happened last week at Hardhome is even more fucked. Stannis believes the future of mankind depends of him taking the Iron Throne and leading the Seven Kingdom through the Long Night. That's the 'destiny' he spoke of. Will this ultimately serve the greater good?.I don't know, but that's at least partly the idea here.

*looks at avatar*

Of course you would think that. What if Stannis and Melisandre's ultimate fate is to be burned alive by Danny's dragons? Nice twist of fate.

Apt101

Oh yeah he's pretty cool. I think he even respects Jon Snow's rivalry!

Dude looks like a mini-boss though. There has to be someone or something above him..

That scene of him raising his arms, expressing, basically, "that was only one of my army" - and directly towards John, I think speaks volumes as to how important John and/or the Starks (of the First Men) really are to that part of the story. It's almost as if John Snow has always known something he couldn't put his finger on since the start of the show.

And as far as mini-boss status goes, his boss is the Other god or what not. His counterpart is Melisandre and the others who follow The Lord of Light. They can sacrifice the living for power and bring the dead back to true life. The White Walker Night King (is that his name?) can turn the living into thralls and bring back the dead to unlife.

Well I personally think they were very relevant and a good use of resources.

that prison scene man
I know this is kinda tongue in cheek but the fact that some people actually think that seeing a pair of tits somehow redeems a terrible arc when the internet is at their fingertips is disappointing.

Nameless

Oh yeah he's pretty cool. I think he even respects Jon Snow's rivalry!

Dude looks like a mini-boss though. There has to be someone or something above him..

The Lord of Darkness/Cold/Terror a.k.a. The Great Other. He's the evil deity in Melisandre's religion and eternal foe of The Lord of Light. He's the 'Ice' in the Song of Fire and Ice, or ancient war between these two gods.

NolbertoS

I know this is kinda tongue in cheek but the fact that some people actually think that seeing a pair of tits somehow redeems a terrible arc when the internet is at their fingertips is disappointing.

You'd be surprised how sex and nudity on any show let alone GOT redeems the series :p

I definitely disagree about Jorah's fight scenes. While there were some cool moments, most of the fighting was laughable.

Just because fight scenes in movies and tv aren't often that good doesn't mean it has to be that way, and numerous movies and tv shows have proven that.
I think I just don't expect much from fight scenes in these shows. Spartacus had good fighting for tv I guess. I remember one great episode where Spartacus is fighting in the underground. Great fight scenes. But the rest of the show wasn't like that.

Scrooged

So this episode basically proves the sand snakes were completely irrelevant and a giant waste of time and resources?

Great job D&D.

Maybe that prince guy being in King's Landing will be important next season. I doubt they did that for nothing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It was almost like people were using hyperbole as a joke.

effzee

As a father almost turned away and then cried watching that scene.

Fuck that shit Stannis and red haired lady. I hope Ramsay kills them all. Fuck this show.

Awesome episode.

Scrooged

I always thought #TeamStannis was used ironically. Like, rooting for the bad guy. Did people actually think he was a good person? lol

Apt101

Are the fighting scenes in television really so bad, in general, or are people being harsh towards this show specifically? I mean there were some technical issues with that Sand Snake fight, and some others, but some have been great. Every battle in a show can't be on the level of Morpheus vs Neo or Achilles against Hector. This production consists of multiple units in various locations with limited time. The fact it's been as good as it has been is a miracle in of itself.

Disgraced

Maybe that prince guy being in King's Landing will be important next season. I doubt they did that for nothing.
Speaking of them going there maybe it's gonna be Ellaria and some Dornish homies who ends up saving everyone's butts from the Faith Militant. Seriously, I can see them at least clashing.

Because he's always been that guy. He killed his own brother not too long ago if you forgot.
Assassinating your brother a few days before he was going to start an uprising against you to spare the lives of thousands is much different than burning your own daughter at the stake for hope of religious retribution.

White Knights grinning from ear to ear tonight.

Devastating episode for Shireen(sp), I guess it was bound to happen, but damn it, that shit better pay off for Stannis. Dude was looking rough after the ambush and sacrifice of his daughter.

Vire

Assassinating your brother a few days before he was going to start an uprising against you to spare the lives of thousands is much different than burning your own daughter at the stake for hope of religious retribution.
Says the guy with the Stannis avatar.

Jobbs

Banned
Seeing a child being burnt alive in a ritual sacrifice as she pleads for her father has to decimate morale in what's left of the army. These are hired mercenaries for the Iron Bank right? They can't be that loyal to Stannis, even the brainwashed mother broke.

I was thinking along these lines... If you're a king, how do you inspire devotion after such an act?

demolitio

So glad we're finally getting close to the Iron Bank dropping the hammer on the Lannisters. Cersei waged war on the only family that's able to bail her family out so now it's just a matter of time until they can't afford to keep going and her actions fucks the kingdom up and ruins her family's reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes down swinging by spending everything she has readily available to give a fuck you to the Iron Bank.

That's why I can't see her dying by the zealots. She still has to see the consequences of her actions be carried out completely and her family fall apart. Hope we see her next episode.

I knew Stannis was doing the deed as soon as he sent Davos off but I still wasn't prepared for that. Definitely going in the direction I've been talking about for a while now how it relates to real kings in the medieval ages sharing power with their archbishops, etc. and sometimes being puppets to them. His greed (or extreme sense of duty but this crossed that line) outweighed his love for his family and would do anything his "archbishop" tells him to do to get what he wants. Unfortunately, I don't think his faith is placed in the right people or god since I'm sure he's just being used for their own goals.

Jon Snow is the one true king even if he doesn't know it yet. So don't fuck it up Olly. Don't think just because you waited a week, it makes you any less suspicious you little douchenozzle.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You have to remember that he has been told he is the only chance the world has against the White Walkers. If he didn't sacrifices his daughter, in his eyes, the White Walkers would destroy the world.

Satch

Banned
stannis stans are aids and have always been aids, even before this travesty

just take your lashings, theyre long overdue

You have to remember that he has been told he is the only chance the world has against the White Walkers. If he didn't sacrifices his daughter, in his eyes, the White Walkers would destroy the world.
I know, all I'm saying is assassinating Renly is much easier to swallow and easier to justify since he was starting an uprising and the effects were immediate - Stannis ended the uprising, stopped the deaths of anyone in either armies and absorbed Renly's troops to have a better chance against the Lannisters.

royalan

Are the fighting scenes in television really so bad, in general, or are people being harsh towards this show specifically? I mean there were some technical issues with that Sand Snake fight, and some others, but some have been great. Every battle in a show can't be on the level of Morpheus vs Neo or Achilles against Hector. This production consists of multiple units in various locations with limited time. The fact it's been as good as it has been is a miracle in of itself.

I don't know, I don't think GoT being a television show can be blamed here.

Whoever brought up Spartacus made a great point: there was a show operating on a much smaller budget, and yet the vast majority of the fight scenes are superbly choreographed and shot. Film quality stuff. Really, one of the many things that show did right.

Then again, Spartacus showrunners also had all the main gladiators participate in a summer-long bootcamp to prepare for those scenes. Doubt that doing that on the GoT set.

Scrooged

Stannis believes he is the One True King and the ONLY person who can lead all of Westeros through the winter. If he doesn't take over Winterfell at this point, he simply cannot rise to power. The stakes are higher here.

Five

Banned
Stannis came between a rock and a hard place. He made the right choice, or at least the choice that's the least wrong. #TeamStannis

NolbertoS

I get the feeling Davos will turn against Stannis and side with either Jon Snow and his army of Wildlings or join Danys and offer his servixes to her. Davos knew something evil was going to befall the princess and tried to take her away. That carved deer was symbolic as a goodbye present. Watch Stannis get his ass kicked against the Boltons witg Melisandre dying a horrible death too, I hope and Jon Snow with Davos at his side reclaim Winterfell.

Apt101

I know, all I'm saying is assassinating Renly is much easier to swallow and easier to justify since he was starting an uprising and the effects were immediate - Stannis ended the uprising, stopped the deaths of anyone in either armies and absorbed Renly's troops to have a better chance against the Lannisters.

Killing Renly was just modus operandi of nobility. It's what they do: challenge and defeat their siblings for the claim of the throne.

This is like a king with nothing left but a rumor of victory from a priest, a king who lives and dies by the idea of succession, killing his only heir to win a battle.

But you know, I think all of this, our reactions and debates, are exactly what the showrunners had in mind. Even if it did come from GRRM. They knew how to make it play out to sadden and conflict viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom