• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear, if this cunt Olly kills Jon Snow...

I'm going full Team Night King if that happens.

This seems too obvious.

Straight up
Omar
from The Wire.

I will have immense hate for this show if this happens. But it just sounds like the perfect thing to do. The best heroic character dead in the most unheroic fashion imaginable.

Apt101

Yeah, I wish Jon Snow would become king of everything.

I think it will end with a union between Dany and Snow (taking the name Stark) and ruling from Winterfell rather than King's Landing. That, or all of these great heroes die leaving the minds behind all of this - Little Finger, Varys, and Tyrion - all ruling in some manner. To have houses of their own who, decades beyond their demise, end up playing the game of thrones all over again.

Ralemont

not me
I feel almost the exact same way. What's the point anymore? I get it.. anything good will never happen... and if it does it'll only be temporary. The show is just continuing to up the shock value of terrible things happening to those that don't "deserve" them.

Terrible things happen to everyone in this show, "good" peeps and "bad." Tywin got bolted while he was taking a shit and Cersei is lapping shit water off a dungeon floor.

Maybe you haven't been watching the same show I have. From Season 2 it's been obvious about how protecting he is of his daughter and how the one thing he would never do is put her in harm's way, every time Selyse or Melisandre talked about Shireen he'd tell them to fuck off.

Stannis killed Renly without batting an eye. It was easy for him to tell them no when he had other options and wasn't in deep, immediate-danger shit. Your chance to convince me was last episode, when Melisandre told Stannis to burn Shireen and Stannis just sent her out of the tent instead of killing her or sending her away.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe you haven't been watching the same show I have. From Season 2 it's been obvious about how protecting he is of his daughter and how the one thing he would never do is put her in harm's way, every time Selyse or Melisandre talked about Shireen he'd tell them to fuck off.

Stannis's is driven by the love of his daughter and his insatiable quest for the throne with the help of Melisandre. Those two drives collided, and he sacrificed one of the other. I don't really see that out of character at all.

Disgraced

I think that's the interesting part -- she's embarrassed of Shireen. She's the fanatic. But she's the one who breaks, not Stannis. She's acting as you'd expect any parent to act when they see their child burned at the stake, even if you believe there's a fanatic religious reasoning for this action. She does care about Shireen, it just never manifested itself warmly.
That is interesting. I guess her wanting to leave Shireen at Dragonstone sort of subtly says she's cared for her safety a bit too. But there's never been anything explicit shown far as I know that illustrated she really cared much.

But really, my thing is, if anyone was shown to be out of character this episode it was Selyse, not Stannis.

Stannis's is driven by the love of his daughter and his insatiable quest for the throne with the help of Melisandre. Those two drives collided, and he sacrificed one of the other. I don't really see that out of character at all.
The quest for the throne is also because he thinks it's his duty as the heir to the throne - Shireen is his only heir.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

And since day one he has done horrible things to be the King.

His want for the throne outweighed his love for his daughter.

MikeyB

I get where you're coming from, but he made the earlier decision to bring her. He was halfway there. My problem with how it went down isn't that he did it, but that it was obvious that he made the choice, Davos knew he did, and we didn't see much of it. He was protective of his daughter and was affectionate towards her. I think it is perfectly understandable that Stannis would kill his own kid, but we didn't see how he came to terms with it.

Instead we got what's her face kissing what's his faces ring while Teen Girl Squad watched.

I feel almost the exact same way. What's the point anymore? I get it.. anything good will never happen... and if it does it'll only be temporary. The show is just continuing to up the shock value of terrible things happening to those that don't "deserve" them.
Good guys and bad guys lose all the time in this show. This is a realistic (other than the magic aspect) take on humanity. We're shitty people. Most of his storyline is influenced by real historical events, the Maurice Druon series and I think some Shakespeare as well.

This whole good guys always shit is getting old. You like to see good guys win 90% like most tv shows, but don't throw this completely false narrative as the reason you dislike it.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Oh wow the commentary is so deep, thanks D&D for opening my mind to the world of religious indoctrination.

Lol, okay maybe 'commentary' is a bit much. But it's not like what Stannis did is completely unbelievable. People can do some really fucked up shit because of their religion. Read up on the binding of Issac in the bible.

KingKong

how do you get to pick what you wear to the fighting pits, I think I would choose the set of armor including helmet instead of a pair of pants and a crappy shield

I mean...yeah thats conflict...its the sole basis of any script.

Why couldn't they have done the leach method with her?

I know this has probably been answered in the show...i just cant remember.
It hasn't been answered lol, plus they could have used Aemon's blood when they were at Castle Black but nope

either way, it was still predictable because of all the "YOU'RE MY DAUGHTER" and it wasn't even shocking

I think it will end with a union between Dany and Snow (taking the name Stark) and ruling from Winterfell rather than King's Landing. That, or all of these great heroes die leaving the minds behind all of this - Little Finger, Varys, and Tyrion - all ruling in some manner. To have houses of their own who, decades beyond their demise, end up playing the game of thrones all over again.

I was just thinking the same with Dany and Snow, but I don't see the show having such a fitting ending. I just am so pumped to see the dragons and others eff Westeros up

bill0527

Terrible things happen to everyone in this show, "good" peeps and "bad." Tywin got bolted while he was taking a shit and Cersei is lapping shit water off a dungeon floor.

Yes.

And after five seasons I get it.

And after five seasons of it, I'm saying - I've had enough. Its nothing but a constant stream of trying to one-up themselves in showing just how shitty people can be.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The problem at the end of that episode was it just wasn't believable that they survived that.. I mean, they just stopped being attacked until the dragon came.. it was totally wrong.. I know what they wanted to do with the whole scene.. but they scripted that all wrong.

Einchy

It hasn't been answered lol, plus they could have used Aemon's blood when they were at Castle Black but nope

either way, it was still predictable because of all the "YOU'RE MY DAUGHTER" and it wasn't even shocking

All your posts in this thread say otherwise. lol

Grifter

Robb in S2 was seen as this great young general that kinda just lost his advantage offscreen (leading to the need to marry for power). The Unsullied and Stannis' supposedly sizable advantage over the Boltons are getting that stealth nerf treatment now.

Einchy

How did Aegon the Conqueror take all of Westeros with 1 dragon when the mightiest of Dany's brood struggled against a small gang of overfed former slaveowners?

He had both of his sister wives riding their own dragons. Also, they said that their dragons were as big as a castle.

I guess if I could try and redeem Stannis:

Stannis is a just and noble ruler, and knows when to differentiate his selfish feelings for that of the greater good.

He sees his men dying and hungry, and chooses to sacrifice his one daughter, so that many others may live. He cares for his people and chose the greater good.

He did the just and noble thing, and unlike all other flakey punks, he stays true to his character. Think of all the horses and soldiers they saved, they are people too!

Ralemont

not me
Yes.

And after five seasons I get it.

And after five seasons of it, I'm saying - I've had enough. Its nothing but a constant stream of trying to one-up themselves in showing just how shitty people can be.

Fair enough. I'm still as intrigued as ever, especially since next season will be mostly new stuff to a long-time book reader.

mr2xxx

Banned
And you had people complaining about an offscreen rape. This episode took it to a whole not her level of fucked up, great stuff.

They need to hire whoever does the fight choreography for Spartacus. What was going on in this episode was just hilarious and mildly depressing. Biggest obstacle for me declaring this one of the best shows ever.
I thought Jorah's scenes were pretty good. We're the fight scenes ever better than what they are now? Most fight scenes in movies and tv aren't that great.

All your posts in this thread say otherwise. lol
I'm not shocked, I'm just disappointed. I figured they were gonna write it this way and I was hoping they didn't because it used the cheapest tactic in the book to try and draw out sympathy. They used the same exact device last episode with the Wildling mother saying goodbye to her kids and then surprise! dying.

And I thought the Dany scene was great, and I didn't think the CGI was bad. This was the first time I found myself rooting for her since, like, maybe season 3.

Same here it feels like a while since I was hoping for her and her team's safety so much like this, also Tyrion there making it even better with his own little hero moment. Plus I thought most of the dragon stuff looked great, aside from maybe at the very end but she was riding a dragon at that point so it was cool. Even the closeups on the dragon looked great.

One more episode then a long wait...

Man the wait's going to suck.

Apt101

I was just thinking the same with Dany and Snow, but I don't see the show having such a fitting ending. I just am so pumped to see the dragons and others eff Westeros up

I mean, it's no secret that the inspiration of the story is the War of the Roses, Lancasters versus Yorks, red roses versus the whites. Siblings for a crown are naturally enemies. Extended family tools. All culminating in the Tudors' rule in a political landscape that appeared different outwardly but is really just more of the same. That's what makes a union between the old and ousted (House Targaryen) and a stalwart that never lost face or faith (the Starks) make sense to me.

But I could also see GRRM and the showrunners wanting to turn that seemingly poetic ending on its head.

KarmaCow

Seeing a child being burnt alive in a ritual sacrifice as she pleads for her father has to decimate morale in what's left of the army. These are hired mercenaries for the Iron Bank right? They can't be that loyal to Stannis, even the brainwashed mother broke.

Gaz_RB

I thought Jorah's scenes were pretty good. We're the fight scenes ever better than what they are now? Most fight scenes in movies and tv suck.

I definitely disagree about Jorah's fight scenes. While there were some cool moments, most of the fighting was laughable.

Just because fight scenes in movies and tv aren't often that good doesn't mean it has to be that way, and numerous movies and tv shows have proven that.

I think it's probably time for Daenerys to get on out of Mereen. Not sure there's anything that is salvageable about that place now that Hizdahr has been killed. Even though it's being overlooked right now (for obvious reasons) I think his death will have some pretty lasting effects on Daenerys' stay in Mereen and her overall quest for the throne.

Side note to that, I thought Joel Fry did a pretty great job as well. Kind of sad to see him go.

The problem at the end of that episode was it just wasn't believable that they survived that.. I mean, they just stopped being attacked until the dragon came.. it was totally wrong.. I know what they wanted to do with the whole scene.. but they scripted that all wrong.

Yep. It was beyond terrible. Jorah nails a spear in a laughably unbelievable way. Lots of Harpies, so close to Dany, yet not only do they survive, but even Tyrion gets a lick in or two.

They are all surrounded as hell, and for whatever reason decide to advance one by one, until Drogon is channeled by Dany. Then they just watch. And then they let Dany have a 10 second moment with her dragon. Then the dragon gets attacked, while the rest of the characters chill, fighting off a lone harpie or two. Then Drogon flies off, presumably with some more harpies around, but I guess that's okay as her friends just stare in awe.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I definitely disagree about Jorah's fight scenes. While there were some cool moments, most of the fighting was laughable.

Just because fight scenes in movies and tv aren't often that good doesn't mean it has to be that way, and numerous movies and tv shows have proven that.

Eh, I thought the Jorah scenes were fine. No where near as bad as the Dorne fight scene.

I think it's probably time for Daenerys to get on out of Mereen. Not sure there's anything that is salvageable about that place now that Hizdahr has been killed. Even though it's being overlooked right now (for obvious reasons) I think his death will have some pretty lasting effects on Daenerys' stay in Mereen and her overall quest for the throne.

Side note to that, I thought Joel Fry did a pretty great job as well. Kind of sad to see him go.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that the Harpies showed up to delay Dany once again. Idk maybe she'll kill a bunch of em with Drogon and fly on over to King's Landing. We're almost in the 6th season for Christ's sake

Nameless

I knew all these bandwagon Stannis fans didn't have the stomach for the One True Conquest.

Shireen's death is fucked, really fucked, but what happened last week at Hardhome is even more fucked. Stannis believes the future of mankind depends of him taking the Iron Throne and leading the Seven Kingdom through the Long Night. That's the 'destiny' he spoke of. Will this ultimately serve the greater good?I don't know. But that's at least partly the idea here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom