• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Winterfell being sacked will be shown in a flashback to show that it was the Bolton's. Just show the Iron Men leaving. Not having the Bolton's do it seems to diminish the event.

And also to the above, how the heck are they going to get Sam back to the Fist. Wonder if he'll just magically be with everyone at start of next season.

My assumption is that we'll finally get to see Ramsey Snow, who shows up to take Theon from the Ironmen, who are exchanging him for Robb Stark's amnesty, at which point he has them killed in any case and takes Theon for himself.

Sanjay

I just saw this in the funny pics thread, Tywin!
uXBRH.jpg

I shat my pants :D

desh

Did any notice what Tywin said about Robb (I can't remember which episode)? But, it was something to the effect of Robb being young and he's going to do stupid things. This was in response to one of his advisers saying how Robb has won all these battles and how great he was in battle. In response, Tywin says Robb is young and he will do something stupid, and then he goes and marries this girl. Is this just a coincidence?

Did any notice what Tywin said about Robb (I can't remember which episode)? But, it was something to the effect of Robb being young and he's going to do stupid things. This was in response to one of his advisers saying how Robb has won all these battles and how great he was in battle. In response, Tywin says Robb is young and he will do something stupid, and then he goes and marries this girl. Is this just a coincidence?

I would call it foreshadowing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, in the books we're not really given much time with Tywin to understand what he thinks of Robb at that point. The show changing things up so Arya serves him helped to give them both more development.

Speevy

Banned
I have a thought/theory.

(series spoilers)

In the books, both Robb and Catelyn are killed during the Red Wedding massacre. After that, Cat is resurrected as "Lady Stoneheart", a grotesque and vengeful figure who tries to destroy anyone and everyone who "betrayed" the Starks. At least, this is what the Ice and Fire Wiki says. I had already been spoiled on the Red Wedding by accident, so I read a bit a ahead.

Anyway, here's my thought. Given the show's tendency to take liberties with characters, places, and time, as well as the feasibility of incorporating certain elements into the show for integrity's sake, I have a theory.

What if they nixed the Lady Stoneheart storyline and only killed Robb at the Red Wedding? Then they had Catelyn go off as vengeful as originally planned.

Now before you start telling me that this is blasphemy and would destroy the intent of the book, listen to my reasoning.

1) The actress playing Catelyn is terrific, and would be less so if they incorporated CG/zombie costume into her character.

2) Characters who come back to life on this show are invariably sinister, evil even. Why are we to believe that this "new" character has a kind of moral compass?

3) Obviously, killing one major character instead of two in a single episode is a lighter blow to the audience.

Then, maybe I'm just talking crazy. Tell me what you think.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It certainly is possible. They could also just follow the books and
forgo the use of too much make-up. They might have some light prosthetics like I imagine they're going to make Peter Dinklage wear.

Iksenpets

Banned
It certainly is possible. They could also just follow the books and
forgo the use of too much make-up. They might have some light prosthetics like I imagine they're going to make Peter Dinklage wear.

Agree with this.
They may change her death to be more a stab in the back then a slit.throat, in order to minimize the disfiguration. Just powder het up to make het pale, mess up het hair a bit, and call it a day.

Aren't we at the point where we should be getting some casting news?

We already got news of
Shireen's
casting, and I think there were some rumors about
Tormund Giantsbane's
casting a while back.

I have a thought/theory.

(series spoilers)

In the books, both Robb and Catelyn are killed during the Red Wedding massacre. After that, Cat is resurrected as "Lady Stoneheart", a grotesque and vengeful figure who tries to destroy anyone and everyone who "betrayed" the Starks. At least, this is what the Ice and Fire Wiki says. I had already been spoiled on the Red Wedding by accident, so I read a bit a ahead.

Anyway, here's my thought. Given the show's tendency to take liberties with characters, places, and time, as well as the feasibility of incorporating certain elements into the show for integrity's sake, I have a theory.

What if they nixed the Lady Stoneheart storyline and only killed Robb at the Red Wedding? Then they had Catelyn go off as vengeful as originally planned.

Hmmm... I dunno. {Series spoilers}
The problem with Stoneheart is that we don't even know the full extent of her role in the books as of yet. Is the fact that she's basically a R'hllor fire zombie important? Does all that tie into the Others down the road?

I don't think they'd not kill off Cat though in the Red Wedding. She needs to die along with Robb as thats whats so shocking about the Red Wedding. Not just that Robb gets bit in the ass for screwing over Frey, but that Cat loses it at the sight of her (presumed) last living child getting murdered, leaving her alone in the world without any children or husband anymore. And when her pleas to spare Robb are ignored by Frey, thats when Cat effectively dies, even before she is dead. Cue totally losing it and killing Jinglebell and gashing up her face and her getting her throat slit.

I don't think the producers are concerned about lightening the blow of the RW. The whole point is that its a wrecking ball to the audience with not just Robb getting killed but Cat too and basically the hopes of the North pulling it out against the Lannisters. It needs to feel like a gut punch.

As for characters who come back being evil, I wouldn't say Beric Dondarrion is evil. And beyond him and Cat/Stoneheart, we really haven't seen much resurrection. Its a bit of a plot point though, that the R'hllor resurrection process seems to kill off memories or bits of one's old self. Thats why Stoneheart is in part Stoneheart and not just Catelyn all mangled up.

Personally, I hope they really make Stoneheart look pretty messed up. The way the Freys/Boltons desecrate Robb and Cat's bodies is part of what makes the RW so reprehensible. And if Stoneheart looks like Cat with just some superficial battle wounds, that sort of undermines the significance of her being resurrected and how its not some typical High Fantasy resurrection process- yeah, you'll live again, but your mind is a bit off and you're going to look like a dead person. There is a cost involved with this magic.

Plus her throat getting slashed ties into how Stoneheart doesn't speak much, her having her skin all nasty and curdled looking ties into her being dumped in a river and left for days, and her hair (one of the things she mentions Ned having always loved) is half ripped off and the other half turned white, her self inflicted scratch marks a reminder of her having snapped mentally and so forth.

gutshot

Aren't we at the point where we should be getting some casting news?

The first official casting announcement last year, Natalie Dormer as Margaery, happened on June 23rd. Most of the rest of the major roles (Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Brienne), weren't announced until mid-July.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
A wall of text

Right... but there's no way
all that is going to be translated to the show. The major takeaway from Lady Stoneheart is her hardline quest for revenge and how that's perverted the Brotherhood. The other details surrounding her character can be fudged, for better or worse.

It's a tricky think to talk about because we really don't know how large a part Lady Stoneheart plays in the story thanks to GRRM. It's going to be something D&D will need to consult him about.

M.D

Edit: Sorry. I intended to post here first, but then thought it would be better to post in the book thread, but accidentally posted here anyway :/

Enosh

Filming will be in four countries next year: Ireland, Croatia, Iceland, and Morocco.

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Game_of_Thrones_to_Film_in_Morocco/
isn't that the same as in season 2?

also just finished ACoK
think i liked it more than the Tv show, Jon is much less of a stupid idiot, there are some interesting new character (the Bolton bastard, the whole Tully family), the siege of kings landing is presented better by not being a just 1 night affair, Davos isn't presented as a complete moron going into a more than obvious trap (funny enough they even have a "we needed our ships here if we didn't everyone would figure out is a trap" line from tyrion iirc, but i did miss the whole Arya-Tywin thingy and I understand why they put it in since Arya barely speaks through her chapters, otoh the escape and the final kill wish are handled better in the book imo)

yay unto aSoS now

gutshot

Not really Ireland, more like the UK in Northern Ireland. Or maybe they do have some sets in Ireland. which would bump it to 5 locations

Yeah, a lot of people (read: Americans) are under the belief that N. Ireland is a part of Ireland. I'm pretty sure they don't have any sets in the Republic.

isn't that the same as in season 2?

No, season two was filmed in only 3 countries: N. Ireland, Croatia and Iceland.

Yeah, a lot of people (read: Americans) are under the belief that N. Ireland is a part of Ireland. I'm pretty sure they don't have any sets in the Republic.

No, season two was filmed in only 3 countries: N. Ireland, Croatia and Iceland.

Yeah, but I don't blame anybody here. The quote they pulled from that article was the DP saying "Ireland" which can get confusing and yeah, they only did three last season. Upping it to another location is massive. Such an amazing production schedule all around. Someday, hopefully, an amazing book comes out about the process of getting this show made. Even though the quality is arguable and opinion based, the scope of the business to get it shot is unheard of and has never been done before on this scale for a TV show.

gutshot

Yeah, but I don't blame anybody here. The quote they pulled from that article was the DP saying "Ireland" which can get confusing and yeah, they only did three last season. Upping it to another location is massive. Such an amazing production schedule all around. Someday, hopefully, an amazing book comes out about the process of getting this show made. Even though the quality is arguable and opinion based, the scope of the business to get it shot is unheard of and has never been done before on this scale for a TV show.

Exactly. Which is why I find it unfair when folks complain endlessly about certain scenes that don't work in the show. This isn't Mad Men or Breaking Bad, where they are shooting the whole thing on a set under controlled conditions with like 4 or 5 actors in a scene and they have the time to make every scene is 100% perfect. These guys are flying from country to country, filming massive scenes on location with tons of actors and extras with costumes and everything else, so I can forgive the occasional clunkily directed or written scene.

Yeah, the show isn't batting 1.000, but the fact that it is batting .750 or so, with this sort of production scale on a TV schedule, is still hella impressive.

NekoFever

Not really Ireland, more like the UK in Northern Ireland. Or maybe they do have some sets in Ireland. which would bump it to 5 locations
If we're being picky, Ireland is the name of the island that consists of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

gutshot

We went out drinking with him that night. He's a huge fan and super geeky about it. It was funny because he got to carry the "one ring" for three amazing movies but was uber excited about getting to sit in the thrown and stuff.

Is your wife/girlfriend Cat Taylor?

I met him in Hollywood once. He was waiting in line at the Chinese Theater to see Batman Begins. He was nice. And short.

Exactly. Which is why I find it unfair when folks complain endlessly about certain scenes that don't work in the show. This isn't Mad Men or Breaking Bad, where they are shooting the whole thing on a set under controlled conditions with like 4 or 5 actors in a scene and they have the time to make every scene is 100% perfect. These guys are flying from country to country, filming massive scenes on location with tons of actors and extras with costumes and everything else, so I can forgive the occasional clunkily directed or written scene.

Yeah, the show isn't batting 1.000, but the fact that it is batting .750 or so, with this sort of production scale on a TV schedule, is still hella impressive.

Eh, the writing has been a problem since S1. I don't believe the shoot schedule excuses those types of structural problems.

Speevy

Banned
I've always wondered why no one else can seem to get to King's Landing for days, weeks, months, or even years, but Littlefinger can traverse Westeros in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom