• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

If i had to guess season 4's ending would be
Joffrey's wedding feast, with the very final scene teasing Lady Stoneheart(using this name as to not spoil anyone silly enough to read this that hasn't read book 3 yet... ) I doubt it would end on Jon escaping unless they planned on saving the Battle at the wall to season 5, but that would take away any major action from the season... would certainly make Season 5 a bit more exciting though i guess if its mostly books 4/5 stuff.

Big Spoils...

Doing Joffrey's death makes much more sense at the end of S3.

I think the TV show will play up Mel's 3 Kings prophecy quite a bit too and killing Rob, Balon and Joffrey in the same season makes a ton of sense. As opposed to killing 2, then saving 1 for Season 4.

My predictions

Ep8 - Red Wedding
Ep9 - RW Fallout
Ep10 - Purple Wedding

It's important to remember too that moving up or back certain story arcs most of the time doesn't interfere with other ones. Bran, Dany and Jon's arcs can really end where ever they want and don't need to be aligned to where the Red/Purple Weddings happen. So you're only really moving up the events of Kings Landing when you think about it.

Moving up Robb and Cat's arc doesn't matter really, since their arc is basically over after Red Wedding anyway.

I also think they will move up Lady Stoneheart's reveal to S3 also. In fact, at this point I would bet large sums of money on the final two scenes of S3 being Joffrey croaking with the final scene being Lady Stoneheart's reveal. It would keep consistency with the TV series making the final scene a big "magic oriented" scene too.

S1 - Dragons
S2 - White Walkers
S3 - Fire Priest Zombies

ASOS spoilers
Summer helping Jon happens at almost exactly halfway through the book. The RW is about 2/3 of the way through. It is widely assumed that the RW will happened at the end of season 3 though. It will be interesting to see how they divide up the seasons, but it's safe to assume that all the arcs will not be cut at exactly half of the book.

Yes but ASOS Spoiler
there's no reason that the red wedding and the bran/jon scene couldn't have chronologically happened around the same time. in terms of when they are described in the book they happen in those parts but easily could have overlapped. It would also fit nicely for a last episode or second to last episode. It would probably even be called "A Sword of Storms."

Speevy

Banned
<Series, same stuff you guys are talking about>

The Red Wedding is such a gut punch that they're going to have to do something with the "good" characters to make up for it. I realize now that they can't kill Joffrey and have the Red Wedding in the same episode, but something has to give. Like a "passing of the torch" between the Robb/Northern Rebellion storyline to some other major storyline. The show has been adamant on the whole Whitewalkers/Iron Throne King doesn't matter sentiment, so maybe it's that. Maybe it's the introduction of one or several major likeable characters. I'm fairly sure that GoT's viewership will wane if the Red Wedding is followed by a bunch more death and misery.

Wray

Also, I would have to rate the books a bit different from most people. My order goes like this...

Swords > Feast > Dance > Clash > Thrones

I like Feast more than most since the Greyjoys and Martell's are my favorite houses.

aceface

Big Spoils...

Doing Joffrey's death makes much more sense at the end of S3.

I think the TV show will play up Mel's 3 Kings prophecy quite a bit too and killing Rob, Balon and Joffrey in the same season makes a ton of sense. As opposed to killing 2, then saving 1 for Season 4.

My predictions

Ep8 - Red Wedding
Ep9 - RW Fallout
Ep10 - Purple Wedding

It's important to remember too that moving up or back certain story arcs most of the time doesn't interfere with other ones. Bran, Dany and Jon's arcs can really end where ever they want and don't need to be aligned to where the Red/Purple Weddings happen. So you're only really moving up the events of Kings Landing really.

Robb and Cat's arc is doesn't matter either, since their arc is basically over after Red Wedding anyway.

I also think they will move up Lady Stoneheart's reveal to S3 also. In fact, at this point I would bet large sums of money on the final two scenes of S3 being Joffrey croaking with the final scene being Lady Stoneheart's reveal. It would keep consistency with the TV series making the final scene a big "magic oriented" scene too.

S1 - Dragons
S2 - White Walkers
S3 - Fire Priest Zombies

I thought this too but (SOS spoilers)
if they move both weddings to season 3 it does not leave a lot for season 4. Well I guess with Tyrion's trial and the battle on the wall there is some stuff but it would still be a pretty light season.

Yes, this is sort of my point. ASOS/maybe book 4 too?:
I shouldn't have said "a certain someone" since Tyrion is clearly responsible for two major deaths. I meant the latter of the two, not the former. EDIT: Ok maybe I'm wrong about him killing Joff? Is that a book 4 spoiler? I've still not finished it because it's so damn slow. I thought I recall a part of ASOS where Tyrion made it very clear he poisoned Joffrey.

ASOS spoilers (major)
No, it's revealed in ASOS that Littlefinger/Tyrells killed Joffrey. Tyrion did tell Jaime that he killed him though because he was really upset with him because he found out that Jaime lied to Tyrion about his first wife.

Yes but ASOS Spoiler
there's no reason that the red wedding and the bran/jon scene couldn't have chronologically happened around the same time. in terms of when they are described in the book they happen in those parts but easily could have overlapped. It would also fit nicely for a last episode or second to last episode. It would probably even be called "A Sword of Storms."

ASOS
I expect that they will both happen around the end of season 3, regardless of when they happened chronologically in the book. Those two events are not connected in a way that makes their respective timings really matter.

Iksenpets

Banned

The Red Wedding is such a gut punch that they're going to have to do something with the "good" characters to make up for it. I realize now that they can't kill Joffrey and have the Red Wedding in the same episode, but something has to give. Like a "passing of the torch" between the Robb/Northern Rebellion storyline to some other major storyline. The show has been adamant on the whole Whitewalkers/Iron Throne King doesn't matter sentiment, so maybe it's that. Maybe it's the introduction of one or several major likeable characters. I'm fairly sure that GoT's viewership will wane if the Red Wedding is followed by a bunch more death and misery.

ASOS
I think they could play up Robb's letter declaring Jon his legitimate heir in order to give a sense of hope to people.

I'm still of the opinion that it makes more sense to actually push the RW to like episode 2 of season 4, and have the the remainder of the season be a very fast paced falling out after that. They have more than enough to do in season three to stretch it out, especially since they delayed the introduction of the Reeds and Tullys, and will need time to develop them, and will probably even need to invent some material to properly develop the Tullys, since they've already omitted all of Robb's time in battle with Blackfish and the battle at Stone Mill where Edmure ruins all of Robb's battle plans. They ommitted Roose Bolton taking Harrenhal, too, which will have to happen to kick off his plotline.

If I were them I would end season 2 pretty much exactly at the halfway point of the book, with the last episode or two containing Summer helping Jon to escape the Wildlings, Robb beheading Karstark and deciding that he has no choice but to retreat north to hold the wedding and then to retake Moat Cailin, Jaime strikes his deal with Bolton for his escape, Dany takes Yunkai and is greeted by the slaves calling her mother, Lord Commander Mormont's death, and Arya is kidnapped by the Hound, and Tyrion marries Sansa. I think that's more than enough to make it finale-worthy. Then season four could begin with Melisandre's curse against the other kings, Robb declaring Jon as heir, Oberyn's arrival for the wedding, and then move straight into the RW and its aftermath from there.

Condensing Joffrey's death into season 3 leaves Season 4 with basically nothing outside of Tyrion's trial for the King's Landing plot, all while you have the Northern plot effectively over for a while. Granted, they could move up the Greyjoy kingsmoot plotline to fill some space, but the bulk of the season would be left in the hands of Jon and Dany, and no one wants that.

(Series)
I think they'll follow up the Red Wedding with the battle of Yunkai and Jon returning to the Wall at the end of the season. I think the final scene will be the "Mother" scene with the freed slaves. That would provide a huge boost in morale to the viewership following the downer of the Red Wedding. Joffrey's death wouldn't be nearly as uplifting since it ends with Tyrion being framed for murder. Save that for early Season 4.

Wray

I thought this too but (SOS spoilers)
if they move both weddings to season 3 it does not leave a lot for season 4. Well I guess with Tyrion's trial and the battle on the wall there is some stuff but it would still be a pretty light season.

Well the Battle on the Wall is irrelevant to the weddings. They don't have to cut each arc off at the same point, unless they are directly tied to each other.

But with regards to the Kings Landing stuff. It's true they would have to stretch some material out, but they can easily move up some scenes from Feast and Dance. They could end Tyrion's S4 arc in Pentos for example, instead of with the Tywin scene. Or possibly even end it with him figuring out Young Griff is Aegon. Although, that might be cutting too deep into Dance stuff.

But I can see something like this working...

Early S4 (Ep 1-5) - Aftermath of Purple Wedding. Joffrey's funeral and Jaime arriving to KL. Red Viper's introduction. Backstory about Elia. Tyrion's imprisonment.

Mid S4 (Ep6-7) - Tyrion's Trial and Red Viper vs Mountain

S4 Ep8 - Tyrion vs Tywin

Late S4 (Ep9-10) - Narrow Sea passage and arrival at Pentos. Scenes with Illyrio setting up his Dance storyline.

Moving up Tywin's big scene a few episodes would take some punch out of the finale, but there would still be plenty of good scenes to finish off with if they really wanted to pack the finale.

- Lysa at the Eyrie
- Jon becoming Lord Commander
- Arya departing for Bravos
- Dany conquering Mereen

Tess3ract

Banned
ADWD was garbage, I don't know how anyone could stand waiting years for that pile and be okay with it. I waited maybe 2 months and was frustrated with it.

ASOS
I think they could play up Robb's letter declaring Jon his legitimate heir in order to give a sense of hope to people.

I'm still of the opinion that it makes more sense to actually push the RW to like episode 2 of season 4, and have the the remainder of the season be a very fast paced falling out after that. They have more than enough to do in season three to stretch it out, especially since they delayed the introduction of the Reeds and Tullys, and will need time to develop them, and will probably even need to invent some material to properly develop the Tullys, since they've already omitted all of Robb's time in battle with Blackfish and the battle at Stone Mill where Edmure ruins all of Robb's battle plans. They ommitted Roose Bolton taking Harrenhal, too, which will have to happen to kick off his plotline.

If I were them I would end season 2 pretty much exactly at the halfway point of the book, with the last episode or two containing Summer helping Jon to escape the Wildlings, Robb beheading Karstark and deciding that he has no choice but to retreat north to hold the wedding and then to retake Moat Cailin, Jaime strikes his deal with Bolton for his escape, Dany takes Yunkai and is greeted by the slaves calling her mother, Lord Commander Mormont's death, and Arya is kidnapped by the Hound, and Tyrion marries Sansa. I think that's more than enough to make it finale-worthy. Then season four could begin with Melisandre's curse against the other kings, Robb declaring Jon as heir, Oberyn's arrival for the wedding, and then move straight into the RW and its aftermath from there.

Condensing Joffrey's death into season 3 leaves Season 4 with basically nothing outside of Tyrion's trial for the King's Landing plot, all while you have the Northern plot effectively over for a while. Granted, they could move up the Greyjoy kingsmoot plotline to fill some space, but the bulk of the season would be left in the hands of Jon and Dany, and no one wants that.

I would prefer this, but I just don't think that they will do it.

I notice the art for the Lannister sigil (the poised lion) is heavily inspired by the Lowenbrau beer logo. and that's being charitable.
Beersnob.JPG

House_Lannister_Sigil.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
So anyway. Overall, season 2 was kinda average. It just wasn't of the quality that the first one was.

I notice the art for the Lannister sigil (the poised lion) is heavily inspired by the Lowenbrau beer logo. and that's being charitable.
Beersnob.JPG
House_Lannister_Sigil.jpg
I'm going to presume you are American.

Meier

I, and anyone else listening to Bobby Bones this morning, can exclusively reveal that Justin Bieber does not watch Game of Thrones. :(

Famassu

ADWD was garbage, I don't know how anyone could stand waiting years for that pile and be okay with it. I waited maybe 2 months and was frustrated with it.
Lulz, no. It has many of the best chapters in the whole series. The only problems it has in comparison to other books in the series is that they could shave off a couple of chapters (well, that actually goes for each and every book in the series), one of the new characters isn't that interesting
Quentyn Martell
and things could've been resolved better instead of being left for The Winds of Winter. The book is almost like what ACOK would be if it ended with Stannis outside the gates of King's Landing or if AGOT ended with something like "the sword swung towards Ned's head. TO BE CONTINUED IN A CLASH FOR KINGS." But even taking that into account, the writing & storylines of different characters themselves are as good as ever. Some parts of it are still in a bit of a lull in the series because it takes place (partly) simultaneously with AFFC and it's still aftermath of the events of ASOS & build-up for the future, which requires moving certain pieces to certain places. Still, there are plenty of good things in ADWD

(SERIES)
-Theon's chapters are some of the best in the series. I'd put them over everything else but a few chapters in ASOS. Asha's chapters are pretty good as well. Stannis' failing journey through the winter wonderland is kind of a depressing read and it'll be interesting to see how he'll get through it.

-Bran finally gets to the "three-eyed crow" and his last steps of the journey there are desperate and exciting. The way his story connects with Theon's is really cool, and all the small & big tidbits we get to "see" through the trees' eyes are intriquing.

-Arya's training is a fun read and it'll be cool to see where her story will be headed next.

-What Jon is doing at the Wall is quite interesting, he's really shaking things up and making wise decisions (not that everyone thinks so...). Taking the Wildlings in, putting them to defend the wall, dealing with Stannis & Melissandre, beheading Janos Slynt, dealing with some of the other bad apples amongst the Night's Watch, trying not to meddle with the affairs of the North (but ending up doing so anyway), his last chapter in the book etc. These are all good threads in Jon's story. Also, Melissandre's chapter(s) gave an insight to her thoughts that made her much more likable a character.

-Tyrion's journey from not giving a shit about anything & obsessing about "where whores go" and him killing his father to truly getting his will to live back & getting back into the game by the end of ADWD is a good read, although could be a couple of chapters shorter. He had reached the bottom due to the events of ASOS and this was the book where he starts climbing his way out of there. Most of what happens along the way is good, but his are the parts that would have needed a bit of editing.

-The chapter where Cersei has to have her walk of shame is SO.GOOOOOOOD.jpg. That bitch really got what she had coming to her, not a quick and easy death. After so many books of her not getting her due, it was a great read. Though, she seems to have made a bit of a comeback, so we'll see what'll happen to her, in the long run.

-Dany/Meereen gets too much hate. It takes, like, 5 chapters at least before there's almost anything about Daario, before that he's mostly just mentioned within one sentence or something. Then there's the dealings with the Sons of the Harpies, trying to find allies, trying to find peaceful solutions, Xaro Xhoan Doxas coming in peace yet leaving with a declaration of war, dealing with the ever-growing dragons who are out of their "dawww, cute little beasts roasting their own bits of meat" phase and turning into the wild beasts they actually are, the wedding-chapter, her flying the fuck out of the fighting pits on Drogon, Quentyn freeing the dragons (the chapters leading to this are his best and actually quite the decent read), every one of Barristan's chapters, confronting Khal Jhaqo & the clear "do not fuck with the dragon" attitude Dany's gotten by the end of ADWD is very promising in regards to the future of the series.

-There could've/should've been more of Jaime.

-Victarion's few chapters are fun, some of the better non-Theon Iron Islander chapters.

Oh, and both the prologue & the epilogue are superb, as always.

Enosh

reading through ACOK (quite different from the TV show), a question, well maybe more of an observation than question:
why doesn't Arya say who she is when that company plus the north men take over harrenhall? She tells another fake name to that new lord, despite recognizing the banners of people loyal to the Starks, hell they even put up a stark direwolf banner, I guess (or rather hope) it's explained further into the book...

Yep. I'm surprised that people in this thread are rankng it above any of the other four books. It's one of the most disappointing books I've ever read, and did a lot to sour me on ASOIAF going forward.

Frost_Ace

reading through ACOK (quite different from the TV show), a question, well maybe more of an observation than question:
why doesn't Arya say who she is when that company plus the north men take over harrenhall? She tells another fake name to that new lord, despite recognizing the banners of people loyal to the Starks, hell they even put up a stark direwolf banner, I guess (or rather hope) it's explained further into the book...

She had doubts they would believe her iirc.

She had doubts they would believe her iirc.

I think this was it as well.

Also, ADWD garbage? I'm about 60% through that book and while it has been slow in parts, it's quality stuff. Maybe it's different for me since I've been reading them all back-to-back. I though ACOK was the weakest, but I still like it. They're all good books.

I think this was it as well.

Also, ADWD garbage? I'm about 60% through that book and while it has been slow in parts, it's quality stuff. Maybe it's different for me since I've been reading them all back-to-back. I though ACOK was the weakest, but I still like it. They're all good books.

I'm currently reading AFFC and granted I'm only about 300 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far. The online reviews make it out to be a travesty as well as ADWD. Makes me wonder if the reviews are unfounded.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
ITT: The rampant lion was invented by a beer company.

I'm currently reading AFFC and granted I'm only about 300 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far. The online reviews make it out to be a travesty as well as ADWD. Makes me wonder if the reviews are unfounded.

AFFC is probably my second favorite in the series. Your enjoyment of it / ADWD depends on how much you enjoy the characters.

Major Book 3 spoiler:

But wouldn't they have to include
Tyrion killing a certain someone
?

Perhaps, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see that moment held off till season 5 either. For some reason i just don't see
joffrey's wedding feast
being in the middle of the season.

When it comes down to it, I think the final like... 15% of the book is season finale worthy. It won't shock me to see certain aspects pushed back to a premiere (asos)
Like Martell fighting the mountain for Tyrion

They're not unfounded, you just hold a different opinion on pacing - the latter two books are noticeably slower than the initial three.

BFIB

They're not unfounded, you just hold a different opinion on pacing - the latter two books are noticeably slower than the initial three.

That's a great point. By the time I dove into AFFC, I was already hooked on the characters and the ongoing story, so I didn't mind the slower pacing.

Dysun

AFFC and ADWD also came out over the course of like 12 years which makes fans who waited for them all the more upset at their pacing
I sat down and read them all in one-go and didn't have a problem with them, enjoyed them alot as much as any book that's not ASOS

That's a great point. By the time I dove into AFFC, I was already hooked on the characters and the ongoing story, so I didn't mind the slower pacing.

Which is why I don't get the criticism it gets sometimes. I'd imagine most who read the novels are hooked to a certain degree. The slower pace make it no less intriguing. At least not to me.

Dysun said:
AFFC and ADWD also came out over the course of like 12 years which makes fans who waited for them all the more upset at their pacing
I sat down and read them all in one-go and didn't have a problem with them, enjoyed them alot as much as any book that's not ASOS

That I can understand. Still though it could be worse for example the Dark Tower series.

Which is why I don't get the criticism it gets sometimes. I'd imagine most who read the novels are hooked to a certain degree. The slower pace make it no less intriguing. At least not to me.

It wasn't necessarily the pacing that lessened my enjoyment with Feast, but the new POV characters just weren't as interesting. I haven't read DwD yet, but considering the majority of my favorite characters are in that book, I suspect it'll be superior in just about every way to feast.

The slower pace make it no less intriguing. At least not to me.

Perfectly reasonable; I found the pacing to be problematic at best, and a problem that extends into ADwD. Both novels have a number of chapters that seem designed entirely to waste the readers time. In which there's nothing interesting that occurs, no drama, little character building and in some cases information the reader already knows deems any foreseeable action irrelevant. It's not that I don't mind novels that take this approach, it's that there're far to many mediocre POV characters in this series for it to remain consistently engaging.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I recently finished the 2nd book, so I have started watching season 2. Already noticed a lot of changes, many more than the first season on the first book.

Like Stanis and as people told me after season 1, Cersei is a lot better this season. Also love the casting and look for Brienne.

Do not like actress playing Asha (Why is she called Yara?), can't really say why though.

And I found this funny.

tumblr_m5fepbXSnf1qbnxo4o1_1280.jpg

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It doesn't really matter that much to me, but I feel like they could've gotten away with the original names. Anytime I talk to anyone about the show, they either read the books and know everyone's "real" names or they're like, "you know that red lady...."

agrajag

Banned
It's like they read the books as they go along. They could've had the foresight to realize that Asha is a way more important character than Osha (at least thus far) and changed Osha's name instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It doesn't really matter that much to me, but I feel like they could've gotten away with the original names. Anytime I talk to anyone about the show, they either read the books and know everyone's "real" names or they're like, "you know that red lady...."

Most people I know aren't aware of Daenerys's name at all.

It's like they read the books as they go along. They could've had the foresight to realize that Asha is a way more important character than Osha (at least thus far) and changed Osha's name instead.
That's too far removed. As of the end of Season 2, that isn't true at all. You're talking about events in seasons that haven't even been greenlit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom