• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

Was this posted already?

First DLC pack, hits 1st of November
The Gears of War 3 DLC, Horde Command Pack, will be released on November 1, 2011. The first pack of DLC for Gears 3 will expand the experience for my favorite mode, Horde. It will add new fortification levels, commands posts, and three multiplayer maps. If that doesn't impress you, you'll also be getting three new characters, including my personal favorite, Bernie.

The three maps new to Gears 3 will be Blood Drive, Rustlung and Azura. Classic Gears maps already in Gears 3 have undergone major upgrades. Based on this I think it's safe to say maps like Blood Drive will look and feel different.

Keep reading for more details on the maps, characters and more.

source:http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/

zlatko said:
I'm ready too. Where's a Maxcer and Scarecrow when you need them? :(

Oh and I don't know if you know, but we had to stop yesterday because your controller turned off probably due to low batteries. ; ;

i figured something like that would happen. going to the plug and play.

zlatko

Banned
Arjen said:
Was this posted already?

First DLC pack, hits 1st of November

source:http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/

The Gears of War 3 DLC, Horde Command Pack, will be released on November 1, 2011. The first pack of DLC for Gears 3 will expand the experience for my favorite mode, Horde. It will add new fortification levels, commands posts, and three multiplayer maps. If that doesn't impress you, you'll also be getting three new characters, including my personal favorite, Bernie.

The three maps new to Gears 3 will be Blood Drive, Rustlung and Azura. Classic Gears maps already in Gears 3 have undergone major upgrades. Based on this I think it's safe to say maps like Blood Drive will look and feel different.

Keep reading for more details on the maps, characters and more.

Blood Drive: The Jacinto Medical Plaza was overwhelmed by evacuated citizens after the government-sanctioned Hammer Strikes, and the ensuing riots quickly turned this safe haven into a dangerous inferno. An abundance of high ground and funneled choke points make this map a returning favorite to Horde.

Rustlung – Once the pride of the Royal Tyran Navy, the foredecks of this decommissioned battleship are now riddled with bullet holes. Any team with the fortitude to hold the exposed central torpedo bay will find that the ship's Loader has been replaced with a battle-ready Silverback mech suit.

Azura – This island resort was once the exclusive domain of Sera's educated elite, but the tranquil water gardens and lush foliage have become a hotly contested combat zone. Dual snipers overlook a powerful explosive weapon, while the defensive central platform may be your last resort of retreat.

NEWS: Gears Of War 3 DLC To Feature Graphic Novel's Michael Barrick
Like I mentioned above, there will also be upgraded fortification for your command post with this pack.

Command Center - This new fortification type allows you to call in fire support from snipes, mortar strikes and multiple Hammers of Dawn. That's right, plural, hammers.
Decoy Upgrade - This is an upgrade that turns your decoy into an Onyx Guard bot that will fight in your defense.

Sentry Upgrade - This upgrade adds a fire bolt sentry that deals more damage and is super effective against Berserkers. If only there was one to one-shot lambent zerkers.

Silverback Upgrade - This advancement allows you to upgrade your Silverback exo-suit with devastating rockets and extra levels of repair cost reduction.

If you're into blinging out your weapons, you'll be pleased to know two new skins packs, one animated and static, will be included in "Horde Command Pack." The three new characters are Onyx Guard, Big Rig Dizzy and my girl, Bernie.

Now for pièce de résistance, "Horde Command Pack" adds 250 gamer points to the game. I'm not afraid to admit it, achievements are my thing.

DETAILS: Gears of War 3 Horde Mode Guide
You'll get all this for 800MS points. I was never good at math, I think that's like $10.

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ate-details-announced/#readmore#ixzz1ZoqE0w18

Miggytronz

I posted the info above because im on the US east coast and we dont have Jack in the Box.

the directions are as follows if you want a code..............

HOW TO GET A FREE CODE:

Print your name and residential address, phone, date of birth and email on 3x5 card. Mail in an envelope with proper postage to:

Brandmovers, Inc.,
PO Box 94079,
Atlanta, GA, 30377.

Must be received by 3:00pm ET, November 6, 2011. Mail each request separately. No copies. Free Codes will be emailed. You must obtain codes via legitimate retail purchase or free request above. Codes may not be sold, bartered or transferred.

Just saw that DLC pack news and it has me excited. Horde mode is the easiest way to get some of my friends together to play so I am glad to see it getting some additions. More Silverback upgrades are always welcome and I hope someday we can see the ability to buy more than one at a time. I am surprised they are already adding 250 achievement points and I hope they are mostly Horde related since there seemed to be a lack of Horde achievements in the base game.

Mr Rivuz

Finished it on insane playing solo. Lot of pain, lot of anger but i did it.

Now it's already two time in a row i played it in coop on insane and both times was incredibly easy, simply because in the second phase, after the checkpoint... No enemy at all arrived o_O
No palace guard, no shrieker, nobody!

Did Epic somehow made it easier seeing people getting crazy at the last boss on insane, or i just got a lucky bug... two times in a row?

Horde Command Pack

Adds 250 Gamescore.

New Maps
Blood Drive
Rustlung
Azura

New Characters

Bernadette Mataki
Big Rig Dizzy
Onyx Guard

New Horde Upgrades

Command Center - This new fortification type allows you to call in fire support from snipes, mortar strikes and multiple Hammers of Dawn. That's right, plural, hammers.
Decoy Upgrade - This is an upgrade that turns your decoy into an Onyx Guard bot that will fight in your defense.
Sentry Upgrade - This upgrade adds a fire bolt sentry that deals more damage and is super effective against Berserkers. If only there was one to one-shot lambent zerkers.
Silverback Upgrade - This advancement allows you to upgrade your Silverback exo-suit with devastating rockets and extra levels of repair cost reduction.

Sandman42

Evil Benius said:
Just saw that DLC pack news and it has me excited. Horde mode is the easiest way to get some of my friends together to play so I am glad to see it getting some additions. More Silverback upgrades are always welcome and I hope someday we can see the ability to buy more than one at a time. I am surprised they are already adding 250 achievement points and I hope they are mostly Horde related since there seemed to be a lack of Horde achievements in the base game.
Epic's DLC achievements tend to be map related. I imagine the achievements will be along the lines of "X score in Horde on Rustlung" and "Win 5 matches on Azura".

The DLC is pretty much what most were expecting but the value is not bad, especially if you grabbed the season pass.

zlatko

Banned
The only thing I'm disappointed by with this DLC is that all the character skins are for COG... could have been better if it was 4 with 2 for cog 2 for locust, or 2 cog and 1 locust if they want to stick with 3.

Otherwise 800 points for 3 maps, 3 new characters, horde mode expansion, and some virtual internet points = great deal.

zlatko said:
Otherwise 800 points for 3 maps, 3 new characters, horde mode expansion, and some virtual internet points = great deal.
Well, actually I'm used to 800 points for at least 4 new maps, not for 2 new ones and 1 remake, but I guess prices on XBL have changed a lot since Gears 1.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
This may be an odd question but how is the campaign playing alone? I normally always play co-op but all my friends have abandoned me this time!

From the official announcement:

Also playable in Beast mode and privately hosted Versus matches, the Horde Command Pack promises to extend your “Gears of War 3” experience with countless hours of multiplayer mayhem on Xbox LIVE. Stay tuned for future game add-on announcements including new campaign and multiplayer content, bringing you more of the year’s biggest blockbuster later this winter. To download the first four game add-ons as soon as they are available at a discounted price, be sure to pick up the “Gears of War 3” Season Pass today for 2400 Microsoft points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Does this mean the three DLC maps will not be in public versus playlists?

MrCompletely said:
From the official announcement:

Does this mean the three DLC maps will not be in public versus playlists?
My guess is they're going to make an extra playlist for all the people who bought the DLC like they did in Gears 2.

Apoc87

Banned
If anyone has a green skin code, and are feeling generous, hit me up with a PM. I'm on a McDonald's binge because of Monopoly, and I don't know if I will be able to obtain a Jack N The Box code. If someone PMs me, i'll remember you and pay the favor back down the line.

vodka-bull said:
My guess is they're going to make an extra playlist for all the people who bought the DLC like they did in Gears 2.

I'm hoping for something like:

All -> All Playlists include all maps
Season Pass -> All playlists include only season pass maps
Standard -> All playlists include only standard maps

What I would like to see the most is a playlist that includes the DLC maps and the standard maps together (All). I like the variety of new maps but still enjoy playing on the older ones and don't want to have to jump between a bunch of different playlists.

mocoworm

ultron87 said:
Am I the only one that only discovered that the Silverback has rockets in the campaign entirely by accident?

When you get in it the first time, the game tells you the controls for the rockets on screen as it talks you through how to use it.

mocoworm

Label said:
This may be an odd question but how is the campaign playing alone? I normally always play co-op but all my friends have abandoned me this time!

It's awesome. Really good. Play on Hardcore for your first playthrough and then co-op later for insane.

vodka-bull said:
Well, actually I'm used to 800 points for at least 4 new maps, not for 2 new ones and 1 remake, but I guess prices on XBL have changed a lot since Gears 1.
Wasn't the 1st Gears map pack 2 maps for 400? Either way, same price breakdown I suppose.

Jtyettis said:
So how many DLCs are included in the season pass? Not 4 right? Or they will not all be 800 points?
Correct 4.

Rumors of a second season pass next year have surfaced however because of the leak containing a HUGE amount of content.

_dementia said:
Wasn't the 1st Gears map pack 2 maps for 400? Either way, same price breakdown I suppose.
Afair it was Raven Down and Old Bones for free and Bullet Marsh, Subway, Garden and Process for 800 and after 6 months or so they turned free as well.

Season pack gives a 33% saving.

800 x 4 = 3200

33% of 3200 = 1056

3200=1056 = 2144

Season pass costs 2400.

If all where 800 the season pass would be a 25% saving.

Volimar

zlatko said:
Who told you this ?

An old tweet from one of the devs. I think Rod Ferguson. I'll try to find it, but twitter isn't good at archiving tweets.

vodka-bull said:
Could be more expensive but from what I know about Microsoft there's no way they're charging less.
Remember: 21 weapon skins 3200.

No, I think they said at least one of them is 1200. I'm looking for the tweet.

Sorry guys, I fail. Twitter is being an ass for me and I can't find the tweet. Treat as unconfirmed for now I guess.

zlatko

Banned
Volimar said:
An old tweet from one of the devs. I think Rod Ferguson. I'll try to find it, but twitter isn't good at archiving tweets.

I feel these first 4 will be 800 points a pop. After that is when you'll see a price hike.

Volimar said:

I also have something knocking around in my head that indicated one would be $15/1200msp (one would assume that would be the campaign one, I guess?), but I can't find where it said that.

For the record, 800x3=2400+1200=3600, or $45

If the season pass is $30, that makes it a 33% savings.

Volimar said:

That kinda makes more sense

33% of 3600 = 1188

3600 - 1188 = 2412.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I need a new GAF crew to roll with. My best friend, REV09, has ended our friendship over my use of the SOS.

zlatko

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I need a new GAF crew to roll with. My best friend, REV09, has ended our friendship over my use of the SOS.

Your friend is a gentleman and a scholar. *drinks Mt. Dew from his chalice with pinky out*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At Falagard and A27 Tawpgun.

Funny how all of these arguments about how the SOS is so overpowered apply to the Gnasher isn't it? Such a threatening, weapon balance breaking weapon you start with the SOS is huh? As if the Gnasher hasn't always been this way. Someone said it earlier in this thread, no weapon rewards you so much for actively not aiming as the SOS does, but the Gnasher is almost nearly the same. Blind, unaimed shots and rolls out into the abundance of cover and domination of CQC, spider around a bit, rinse, wash, repeat. And hell you don't even have to reload as often.

Why it is beyond people to see the role shotguns as a whole play as an overpowered asset of the game is beyond me. Hell, you may like it, but I dislike when people try to defend one shotty vs. the other and don't acknowledge that shotguns are hella unbalanced in this game. Then people defend the Gnasher and the multiplayer design choices around the flow of combat that simply support it's power and create an environment for the SOS to exist, which just ends up pissing those same people off.

You talk of campy situations with an SOS.. what's different with a Gnasher? They get extra shots in case they miss AND the ability to gib (the situation is no different if the aggressor is heading towards a camped location). The comparison to armor lock is a good one, and I do agree with that entirely, in terms of disrupting the classical flow of combat, yet it's easy to see the flow with SOS combat too as yall described. But in order to "fix" the SOS you need to simultaneously nerf the Gnasher too, and effectively tune the role of shotguns but people aren't willing to say no to their beloved overpowered shotgun in favor of another.

It just seems like a whole lot of "wait, why is there a new overpowered shotgun? I liked the old overpowered one better!" I think they've cornered themselves with the shotgun in general, there is no middleground between overpowered and underpowered with the MP game design, because of the abundance of cover.

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
i tried to learn from your leet skills, but i found none....only excess kills.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
If anything, it makes rifles a more viable option, right? Firefights aren't always close range anymore.
Which is a good thing IMO, but players still have a tendency to use rifles as a sort of buffer to get in and kill using the Gnasher anyway, then they find themselves in what used to be a comfortable range, now dominated by the SOS. Gnashers effective range has been minimalists because it's a narrow range between rifles and SOS where Gnasher is most effective. Outside of range though, I still believe the Gnasher is leagues superior if the user has some skill.

This is why Gears 3 MP is leagues better than the Gnasher-fest that is it's predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom