• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

adversesolutions said:
Question, is there a reason to unlock the executions besides actually getting the cool animation for them? I already have the achievement for getting all the executions, but I got them in campaign.

Does it work towards a medal?

It's just to unlock the executions for online play. However you need kills to unlock he executions so indirectly you would be working towards the weapon kill medals.

DatBreh said:
Where did you find a place to do the one shot execution? In the chapter with Dizzy for some reason every enemy you kill just instantly dies and doesnt do the crawl bleed out thing.

I haven't found a place to do that yet. I only said I was planning on doing the oneshot execution in campaign.

mickcenary said:
I actually quite like Sandbar now. Am I a freak?

I think Sandbar is one of the best new maps. I don't think there's a lame duck in the bunch, although there are fewer maps with Gears 3, I don't dread any of them.

D4Danger said:
you know you lose your active reload when you switch weapons, right?
But he can swap weapons without reloading, and just reload when he switches back to Gnasher...

I haven't had the chance to get my game on lately, so I ask you guys now that the dust has settled down: is the SOS nerf noticeable? Do you personally think it has affected gameplay?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MrCompletely said:
I think Sandbar is one of the best new maps. I don't think there's a lame duck in the bunch, although there are fewer maps with Gears 3, I don't dread any of them.

Sandbar is a terrible map.

It was obviously designed for horde and thrown in to make up the numbers because they held back the good maps (Azure etc) for the first DLC.

Seth Balmore said:
But he can swap weapons without reloading, and just reload when he switches back to Gnasher...

oh I see. I should keep reading.

Montresor said:
It's just to unlock the executions for online play.

I haven't found a place to do that yet. I only said I was planning on doing the oneshot execution in campaign.

When you snipe the guards in Act 2, Chapter 3 (i think) you get a oneshot i did it there. Alternatively you can just start a bot game with 35 kills, 15 rounds all 1 shots on checkout and get it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Vilix said:
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at how strong Berzerkers are in Horde mode. I don't see the point in putting up fortifactions if it does nothing to them.

Bosses are supposed to completely fuck up your base.

Frester

Was there ever an official announcement/statement about the EXP nerf? What happened exactly, Epic cut it in half for all ribbons?

Montresor

Do kills in horde and beast mode contribute to weapon kill medals and execution unlocks?

Also, I haven't touched horde or beast mode yet, but can I assume mutators are upgrades you can equip only in said modes?

Seth Balmore said:
I haven't had the chance to get my game on lately, so I ask you guys now that the dust has settled down: is the SOS nerf noticeable? Do you personally think it has affected gameplay?
Honestly I don't think the nerf is noticeable but I haven't played nearly as much as other GAFers. I will admit that I see less SOS though.

ZeroCoin

So what weapons work with the infinite ammo mutator? I tried picking up a hammer of dawn with it on and didn't have any luck. Are all power weapons exempt from the mutator? I haven't taken the time to go through and see which other weapons, if any, don't grant infinite ammo.

Lima

Montresor said:
Do kills in horde and beast mode contribute to weapon kill medals and execution unlocks?

Yes everything counts.

ZeroCoin said:
So what weapons work with the infinite ammo mutator? I tried picking up a hammer of dawn with it on and didn't have any luck. Are all power weapons exempt from the mutator? I haven't taken the time to go through and see which other weapons, if any, don't grant infinite ammo.

Only the five starting weapons and pistols.

Miggytronz

ZeroCoin said:

100 kills with each starting weapon in versus is the Infinite Ammo mutator i thought?

ZeroCoin

Mikasangelos said:
100 kills with each starting weapon in versus is the Infinite Ammo mutator i thought?

I don't mean to unlock it. I mean once you have it unlocked, it doesn't seem to give you infinite ammo with just any weapon. I was just wondering if anyone knew which weapons worked and which didn't.

Gegz

Banned
ZeroCoin said:
I don't mean to unlock it. I mean once you have it unlocked, it doesn't seem to give you infinite ammo with just any weapon. I was just wondering if anyone knew which weapons worked and which didn't.
Starting weapons + all the guns i think.

ZeroCoin

Lima said:
Only the five starting weapons and pistols.

Ahhh I see. That makes sense. Thanks.

Lima said:
Yes everything counts.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I unlocked a few of the starter executions in horde mode, but none of those kills counted towards my starter weapon medals.

Miggytronz

ZeroCoin said:

just Infinite on Starting Weapons, but with Super Active reload on, if you nail an active it give you an extra shot (thats not shown)

so say i grab a Boomshot with 6 shots..... shoot (6), active, shoot (5), I now have (5) again without having to reload.

ZeroCoin

Mikasangelos said:
just Infinite on Starting Weapons, but with Super Active reload on, if you nail an active it give you an extra shot (thats not shown)

so say i grab a Boomshot with 6 shots..... shoot (6), active, shoot (5), I now have (5) again without having to reload.

Without a doubt, super reload is the best mutator to have when you are trying to make the game easier. I'm trying to decide whether I want to grind out big explosions or instagib melee next. I have been neglecting beast mode recently, so I might go for the instagib.

2San

MCXC Pioneer said:
is firing a few bullets when you spawn and then active reloading a viable tactic?
gJRCe.png

;D

I'm relatively average player, but it works for me. It depends on which weapon you use though, I use the Gnasher and Lancer combo so I try to have actives most of the time. The thing is to fire a few shots(I usually go for 2 for the Gnasher) in advance and active reload when you actually see an enemy or right before a power weapon. 6 non active shots(Gnasher) is more then enough to kills most people if you suddenly don't have time to reload.

Miggytronz

ZeroCoin said:
Without a doubt, super reload is the best mutator to have when you are trying to make the game easier. I'm trying to decide whether I want to grind out big explosions or instagib melee next. I have been neglecting beast mode recently, so I might go for the instagib.
Id go for Instagib, Makes killing Armored Kantus', Boomers, bloodmounts and Brumaks a breeze.

Lima

ZeroCoin said:
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I unlocked a few of the starter executions in horde mode, but none of those kills counted towards my starter weapon medals.

They count for the executions etc. Not for the medals though, only kills in versus count for them.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Alienshogun said:
Bosses are supposed to completely fuck up your base.

It seems to me that the best strategy is not to put up anything until well after Wave 10.

2th

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
Id go for Instagib, Makes killing Armored Kantus', Boomers, bloodmounts and Brumaks a breeze.

the problem with instagib melee is that at later levels, even on casual or normal difficulties, good luck getting near those things to do it. I also have had the most ridiculous bad luck with brumaks and that mutator. every time i go to melee them i just get stepped on. That has happened like a dozen times to me too :(

Lothars

ZeroCoin said:
I just got big explosions last night and it seems okay but I would say go for instagib melee, it's always useful.

mbmonk

I turned off the gore option in the setting and it almost turns the game into a comedy. Since people aren't gibbed, they fly up in the air and flail about. I enjoy it. I am a simpleton, and it brings me 'the pleasure' ( not in a dirty minded way to clarify).

Heysoos said:
Is it still going on and what do I need to buy? :)

Here's how to play: Jack in the Box guests who purchase a large combo meal or any large fountain drink will receive a peel & reveal game piece on their collectible drink cup. Each game piece offers multiple chances to win. In addition to instant wins, players can visit JacksGotGame.com to enter codes from their game pieces for a chance to win daily and weekly prizes.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-jack-in-the-boxr-contest-scores-big-with-gamers-2011-10-03

As I understand it you just have a chance to win if you buy a large drink. You aren't guaranteed to win the weapon skin.

You can enter w/o a purchase but you have to physically mail them your info and then they will give you a code to redeem by email.

I wonder if in the long run it would be cheaper just to wait and buy the skins off the market place in January.

see5harp

It is certainly cheaper to just wait for the set. I got a single code in 6 tries (trying to help gaffers). Large drinks are like $2.50 so do the math.

Moofers

I have some "PS3 only" friends coming up to visit in a week and I would love to play split-screen Horde to show them how awesome this game can be. Does anyone know if it supports 4-players split screen, or is it only 2?

Montresor

Drealmcc0y said:
So... my rank went from 72 to 1 over night :/

Please tell us if Dementia's tip fixes your problem.

In Gears 2, my rank went from around 40 to 1, and I lost save files and journal progress.

Most recently, I lost achievement progress in Gears 3. My online rank did not get deleted, nor did my campaign checkpoint. But campaign progress was deleted and I had to restart on hardcore, regardless of my current checkpoint, if I wanted the campaign achievements.

Ballistik

My friend recovered his account on my xbox to play a few matches of Gears. I was surprised to find out that he had access to my green skins, so he used them while we played.

Few days later... I play with him again after he went back to his own xbox and when we went into a match, he STILL had the green skins. They don't show up in the lobby screen, but they're there in-game.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
see5harp said:
It is certainly cheaper to just wait for the set. I got a single code in 6 tries (trying to help gaffers). Large drinks are like $2.50 so do the math.
I got 3 out of 4.... lol

@ballistik- that's because the game 'saves' what your skins/player model are [even when you switch xboxes]. if he changes his skins, he'll lose the green

Ballistik

dmg04 said:
I got 3 out of 4.... lol

@ballistik- that's because the game 'saves' what your skins/player model are [even when you switch xboxes]. if he changes his skins, he'll lose the green
Yeah I know, because he can't choose it again if he changes it. Still, I don't think he's ever changing skins!

TRios Zen

Was last man out yesterday on Thrashball, trying to clutch a 1 v 6. Caught one guy alone and got him with my retro, moved on and ran into two by grenades and managed to get them both with my shotgun.

Running past spawn to find the last three, and the first guy I killed comes charging out - put two solid shots with my gnasher in his chest just to hear that damn spawn protection sound.
Douche-bag chain saws me, then humps me as if that was any skill on his part.

*RAGE*

That needs to be fixed damnit! Great idea, crappy implementation so far.

njean777

TRios Zen said:
Was last man out yesterday on Thrashball, trying to clutch a 1 v 6. Caught one guy alone and got him with my retro, moved on and ran into two by grenades and managed to get them both with my shotgun.

Running past spawn to find the last three, and the first guy I killed comes charging out - put two solid shots with my gnasher in his chest just to hear that damn spawn protection sound.
Douche-bag chain saws me, then humps me as if that was any skill on his part.

*RAGE*

That needs to be fixed damnit! Great idea, crappy implementation so far.

Shouldn't be in his spawn, they don't want people to spawn camp.

TRios Zen

njean777 said:
Shouldn't be in his spawn, they don't want people to spawn camp.

Probably wasn't clear; I was not in his spawn, I was running past it (from the 'nade area) to try to get up top. He came out of spawn and still had the protection on.

Xevren

Moofers said:
I have some "PS3 only" friends coming up to visit in a week and I would love to play split-screen Horde to show them how awesome this game can be. Does anyone know if it supports 4-players split screen, or is it only 2?

Only 2, I can only imagine it would be unplayable with 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom