• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Dr.Morris79

I just read that the back story is that Jin was killed by a girl with a golf club....

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity
9R6YWTe.jpeg

nial

I always say AAA games take 5-9 years to make. So if this started in 2020, this means around 2025-2029. Or if started in 2021, then around 2026-2029.

In any case, I wasn't expecting it for 2025. I expected minimum 2026 being more likely.

But hey, I'll take this for dinner:

crowtable.original.jpg
And don't think I'll forget you denying Lego Horizon and HZD Remastered being real. :messenger_beaming:

Ghost of Tsushima was my second favorite PS4 game behind Bloodborne.

So sad to say I have zero interest in this sequel.

And yes, the female protag is the main reason for it. GoT is not a fantastical, mythical setting so playing as a female one man army requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

That and Sony studios tend to make poor female protagonists, they usually end up boring overpowered Mary sues that are never at fault.

solecon64

He was a fan of Brad for 10+ years and suddenly Brad is an irredeemable enemy because he found a stable job with Colin Moriarty, a guy they label a transphobe and misogynist because he made a joke once. That's the kind of person developing this game.

Thousands upon thousands of layoffs in the past year or so and there are still so many parasites that need to be fired from the gaming industry.

Sucker Punch making a samurai game with a helicopter protagonist like it's 2020 is going to be their wake-up call next year.

ajanke

I have nothing against women protags, but all these skinny women overpowering fully grown man on physical combat is really eye rolling, almost like these women getting into dev positions are realizing their fantasies, Mary Jane in Spider Man 2 was pure cringe.
hated those stealth missions too. I am terrified for Wolverine lol.

sachos

I was shocked Jin was not the protagonist and kinda disappointed at first but then it hit me that the game takes place like 300 years after GoT 1.
They are actually turning it into their own Assassins Creed for real this time. Jin was the First Ghost creating his own Creed.
Expect Ghost games outside Japan at some point in the future.

yogaflame

I hope this is not another hidden agenda and ideology narrative being push. The GOT franchise is OG, and will stay that way with excellent gameplay, beautiful graphics, good combat. Please no more twisted woke agenda! hope it will not be poisoned by sweet baby influence which is killing movies and games this days, that is why allot of games and movies flops. Don't make the same mistake of pushing there narrative and conditioning or normalizing same sex relationships are normal and the lack of common sense on gender pronouns crap again

Last edited:
All the places we can potentially explore in the game is exciting. I think it's a good idea to make it an anthology type franchise.

ungalo

Finished GoT recently, i think it's mid. i was still curious to see the reveal for this one, there it is and not a shred of excitement whatsoever.

I think it's going to be a huge hit though.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Now now, the main character being a woman is certainly an interesting choice, but I’d say it depends on the story if it’s believable.
If they make her backstory realistic, and if she wins swordfights through skill rather than physical power i see no issue.

I would have preferred to play as male Samurai in heavy armor though

Toons

Female lead, knew it, ill pass. I just don't enjoy playing games with female characters, it's just how I am, but for those of you who do, enjoy the game.

So you ain't played metroid, tomb raider, mirrors edge, half life 2.5, half of RE and won't play GTA6 because they star the larger majority of the species you are apart of?

*Facepalm*
And this is with most people.

I understand they need to create something fresh from a new character, but I still think it is really a bad decision.

People wanted to play as Jin in feudal Japan. People are attached to his story and at least want to see a sequel. Don't fix something that not broken. This gona alienate many old players.

They said this about metal gear

They were wrong.

Innovation always wins out over pandering to "expectations". Always.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I was shocked Jin was not the protagonist and kinda disappointed at first but then it hit me that the game takes place like 300 years after GoT 1.
They are actually turning it into their own Assassins Creed for real this time. Jin was the First Ghost creating his own Creed.
I wouldn't mind Ghost 3 as a game set in 80's Japan with trerrific neon signs provided by SP Engine.

Think Watch Dogs, but actually good, with mountain drifting and some interesting setting like Kyoto and the area around it.

But that's just me being delulu, stil a nice catch.

yurinka

Fuckers moan in the internet about Dragon Age because they can’t create Sidney Sweeney, but at the same time they don’t want to play as a woman because it’s woke.
I'm one of the ones who complain about these things. The issue is not for the particular game, or for being a woman, or more particularly a lesbian, or even trans etc.

If only would happen with one, a few or some, it would be ok. Specially, if the new character is likable, charismatic, well made. Like let's say Ellie. I even was happy to see a well represented lesbian who -like the lesbians I met- is not a stereotypical one, just a random girl who happens to like girls.

TLOU1 had LGTB people and a female coprotagonist but wasn't woke.

Being woke is when they consider that male protagonists are bad thing that need to be replaced because of their gender. That white protagonists are a bad thing because of their skin color and have to be replaced. And that heterosexual characters are a bad thing because of their sexual preference. And that female characters can't be pretty, or sexy, or shy, or charming, or delicate etc. because maybe can be appealing to heterosexual men and this is bad too for them. So female characters for them must be basically Vin Diesel with a wig.

I mean, I loved Kat. She was maybe my favorite protagonist from the previous generation. But nowadays she would be an angry Jason Momoa without beard wearing a red dress. Well, not even a dress because a dress or skirts are supposed to be sexist or whatever: now all female character wear pants, to make them even more androginous.

And again, with one, a few or some games would be ok, there should be games for everyone. But we're getting tired of seeing it everywhere again and again. And well, in this particular case Sony is getting rid of their male protagonist in all their internal games. As I remember there's now only Kratos left, so Thor's daugher or the black nordic girl may replace him soon.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Looks cool. Ghost of Tsushima was amazing so I’m down for this. The time period is also ripe for interesting stories.

Too many people crying about a female protagonist. Who cares? Let the devs cook, they haven’t shown a reason to not believe they know what they’re doing.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Have watched the trailer a couple of times. It's a meh trailer.
Nothing really grabbed me story wise or visually. No stand out impactful scenes.

I had a lot of fun with GoT so I trust SP, but this trailer didn't hype me up. There are other interesting things like tech and gameplay to take from the trailer.
The density, lighting is nice. The scale will be cool to see more of and then eventually play.

I like the wolf companion, she will be lighter than Jin, so I expect quick & ruthless. I have not heard her speak, but I hope she is written well. Like The Bride from Kill Bill ruthless. (The music in the trailer fits and seems like a cool vibe Sucker Punch can nail)
Thinking about gameplay again. If the wolf is an indicator of the Samurai's motif, I hope they can express it creatively (impactfully *visual language)

Again SP has a good track record with me. Their characters are written convincingly with the appropriate depth, nuance and respect dictated by the project they are working on.

It does suck that this game receives judgement simply based on certain criteria.
I know Sucker Punch can make a badass game. I just need Sony or any other DEI consulting firms/bodies to leave SP alone. They already do this stuff, just leave them alone.
(You want this whole war DEI, will they, won't they stuff to move. Let the good, genuine studios, do their thing)

It should be an easy win for Sony and in the broader context, Gaming Industry.
(Lets see if they trip over themselves)

Last edited:

simpatico

A cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima is it was almost plausible. Any connection with reality is lost in this iteration, I mean unless they go really esoteric on the gameplay loop. It's not impossible to make a good game with a female lead. Control, Resident Evils, TR are all good examples. But it sure does narrow your margin of error. Clearly this is going to be much more "ninja" focused. The route to go is just making her such an over the top badass that we ignore muh realism. Honestly they've got a narrow path to success with me on this one, but GoT was so good I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see more. I just hope the idea for this came from Sucker Punch and it's not an assignment they are fulfilling.

A Ghost Clan theory is interesting. That would create some good lore/connect for both games.

StereoVsn

Sigh... not what I was hoping to see. I am hoping this isn't just another example of "Modern Audience" games, but considering its the modern Sony Western dev... Hopefully I am wrong and this will be amazing, but doubt it.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more its likely I think its going to be kind of shit for the story. Just to think, if Sucker Punch made this a proper sequel, it would have been an automatic Day 1. Oh well, plenty of other games, Sony is saving me some money at least to wait for user reviews and YouTube reviews.

Last edited:
if sucker punch wanted to create a game with a female lead set in japan, why didn't they just go with fetch relocating to yokohama? very likely would've been a lot more fun...

Gdhcvzm.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish that instead of this trailer, we got a 25-minute music segment that featured a guy playing a giant wind instrument

Last edited:

Toons

if sucker punch wanted to create a game with a female lead set in japan, why didn't they just go with fetch relocating to yokohama? very likely would've been a lot more fun...

Gdhcvzm.jpg

Lol. Shes got colored hair, this site would've gone nuclear

That said we are well overdue for more infamous

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I wonder if like 100 of you will refuse to play any future Metroid or Tomb Raider games at this point.

Nothing against women as protagonist in games, but didn’t it become too much. I feel there are more games, where you play as a woman than games where you play as a Man. Can they not even give you a choice?

Also is it really required in feudal Japan? Yes, there are also female warriors at that time, but not many.

Fake

Gold Member

Yeah, its a shame people being OK with a replacement like that. Jin is a huge part of the game and was one of the reasons for the game sucess.

I remember people making the same excuses about Joel and Ellie not being the core of TLOUS franchise and moving foward.

Unique characters unfortunately are becoming part of past.

Toons

I wonder if like 100 of you will refuse to play any future Metroid or Tomb Raider games at this point.
We've reached that point where if all the "good ones" that get cited from the past came out today they'd get the exact same backlash as the new stuff does.

The hilarious part to me is folks saying this is "modern times so its different " meanwhile ghost 1 was not even half a decade ago during the year of our lord 2020

Last edited:
Top Bottom