• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

vpance

A cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima is it was almost plausible. Any connection with reality is lost in this iteration, I mean unless they go really esoteric on the gameplay loop. It's not impossible to make a good game with a female lead. Control, Resident Evils, TR are all good examples. But it sure does narrow your margin of error. Clearly this is going to be much more "ninja" focused. The route to go is just making her such an over the top badass that we ignore muh realism. Honestly they've got a narrow path to success with me on this one, but GoT was so good I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see more. I just hope the idea for this came from Sucker Punch and it's not an assignment they are fulfilling.

The problem with modern female main characters is they're often just a boring man with a homely female skin on top. And usually overcompensating by acting extra tough. No one actually wants to see that. Would love for this one to break the current mold but we'll see.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah, its a shame people being OK with a replacement like that. Jin is a huge part of the game and was one of the reasons for the game sucess.

I remember people making the same excuses about Joel and Ellie not being the core of TLOUS franchise and moving foward.

Unique characters unfortunately are becoming part of past.
So, what people should do is bitch/moan when devs want to do something different? Then we'll get people, like you, claiming "it's all samey", etc, etc.

Chris/Jill were "legendary" too, then Leon came along and worked just fine.

Emedan

Who are these people making these decisions, honestly. How big of the gaming audience is male? 90+%? Not even to mention history buffs. Let's make a power fantasy game about being a samurai and let the overwhelming majority of our player base feel excluded for no other reason than "inclusivity". I fucking hate modern gaming, I'm sticking with Nintendo, at least they just didn't make female Link when they introduce female playable characters (and I'm hyped for the new Zelda).

Fake

Gold Member
So, what people should do is bitch/moan when devs want to do something different? .

Want something different = new IP

Unless we saw a different trailer, I see nothing about 'something different' in this trailer.

"The anticipated game, Ghost of Yotei, will follow a woman on a quest for vengeance". Look how different this game is. Wow.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Want something different = new IP

Unless we saw a different trailer, I see nothing about 'something different' in this trailer.

"The anticipated game, Ghost of Yotei, will follow a woman on a quest for vengeance". Look of how is different. Wow.
Sounds like the issue is yours. Don't like what they've done? Simple solution. Don't buy it.

And there's clearly something different if you're in here bitchin'/moanin' about it.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If the game gives me the choice between a male character and a female character, I will always choose the female one, cuz I'm a simple man.

But, considering the current climate, I can understand how some might feel at least a little apprehensive or even cynical when presented with a female lead...the ironic thing is this:
This apprehension is driven by media that was trying to push "diversity and inclusion"... these dumbasses are having the opposite effect and hurting the media/entertainment that is being made by actual talented people

Fake

Gold Member
Sounds like the issue is yours. Don't like what they've done? Simple solution. Don't buy it.

And there's clearly something different if you're in here bitchin'/moanin' about it.
moving-goalposts-goalposts.gif

Who are these people making these decisions, honestly. How big of the gaming audience is male? 90+%? Not even to mention history buffs. Let's make a power fantasy game about being a samurai and let the overwhelming majority of our player base feel excluded for no other reason than "inclusivity". I fucking hate modern gaming, I'm sticking with Nintendo, at least they just didn't make female Link when they introduce female playable characters (and I'm hyped for the new Zelda).

Takes like this are fucking retarded and far too knee jerk.

You're swinging the pendulum too far in the right direction.

Are we sick of the BS girl boss, Mary-Sue characters woke America have been shitting out since 2014? Of course we are!

But that does mean we should reject wholesale every female character in games/movies/media without even knowing or experiencing fuck-all of their in-media portrayal? Absolutely not! That's fucking dumb.

How about we wait to actually play the game to see how this female character is portrayed in the actual game when it releases before passing judgement?

If she ends up being a vapid girl-boss, Mary-Sue caricature, then have at ye.... but.. if she's more like a 90s Lara Croft or Lt. Ripley from the Aliens movie... then shit... we might just be in for a treat.

Toons

A fucking classic.

We referenced this not too long ago on how Yakuza could have some female spin off or something.

Folks will not allow this to be a work of fiction, so prepare yourself for folks making some history and accuracy claim lol

Folks only allow for fiction thats comfortable for THEIR preferences and worldview. Thats ultimately an issue with a LOT of audiences today, its just entirlement . They need to decide if they like something BEFORE they try it now, no more new visions or ideas that are different than what they're used to. The "comfortable" complex, itd been toxic to games, movies and all entertainment and it happens for every 'lean'.

Fake

Gold Member
Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
Eh? People complaining about a female protagonist in a 3rd person game is insane to me.

Giving me the choice I will always pick female characters.

I guess you guys really enjoy staring a dude's ass for 20 plus hours.... Immersion breaker... Yeah... Right...

ha gay GIF

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
If the game gives me the choice between a male character and a female character, I will always choose the female one, cuz I'm a simple man.

But, considering the current climate, I can understand how some might feel at least a little apprehensive or even cynical when presented with a female lead...the ironic thing is this:
This apprehension is driven by media that was trying to push "diversity and inclusion"... these dumbasses are having the opposite effect and hurting the media/entertainment that is being made by actual talented people

This and same.

I do so cause its different and I play men in lots of games and enjoy some change of pace every now and then.

This is also why I play what I want, the claim of something being some agenda has gotten so absurd, anything is claimed this now...

So I just don't give a fuck.

Looks fun, buying it.

Thats it.

They can make all the noise about the main character, who works at Sucker Punch, who tweeted this or that, I just don't fucking care lol

FunkMiller

Nothing wrong with a female protagonist if written well.

Problem is, we've had countless examples of them not being written well recently.

I trust Sucker Punch not to fall into the same trap though, given how the writing was in GoT.

I am sad not to be going back to Jin though. Wanted to see his descent into full blown ninjahood.

Reactions: XXL

Emedan

Takes like this are fucking retarded and far too knee jerk.

You're swinging the pendulum too far in the right direction.

Are we sick of the BS girl boss, Mary-Sue characters woke America have been shitting out since 2014? Of course we are!

But that does mean we should reject wholesale every female character in games/movies/media without even knowing or experiencing fuck-all of their in-media portrayal? Absolutely not! That's fucking dumb.

How about we wait to actually play the game to see how this female character is portrayed in the actual game when it releases before passing judgement?

If she ends up being a vapid girl-boss, Mary-Sue caricature, then have at ye.... but.. if she's more like a 90s Lara Croft or Lt. Ripley from the Aliens movie... then shit... we might just be in for a treat.
I don't inherently dislike female leads in games, I too love Lara Croft and Jill valentine, they're probable characters. But this is just too much.

Calling this knee jerk is a stretch. we've all seen how the medium has changed, you just said as much in your reply - I'm sorry but I'm done with it. Though to be fair I'm the guy who got irritated at the Houndskull bascinet in Kingdom Come (one of my favourite games of all time) having too large eye slits compared to how it was historically and therefor refused to use it - so I'm a bit retarded.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't inherently dislike female leads in games, I too love Lara Croft and Jill valentine, they're probable characters. But this is just too much.

Calling this knee jerk is a stretch. we've all seen how the medium has changed, you just said as much in your reply - I'm sorry but I'm done with it. Though to be fair I'm the guy who got irritated at the Houndskull bascinet in Kingdom Come (one of my favourite games of all time) having too large eye slits compared to how it was historically and therefor refused to use it - so I'm a bit retarded.
What is a probable character and how does that apply to Lara/Jill but not here?

solecon64

I know...what ever will they do, right?
They're going to fire people. Like, a lot of them. Literally hundreds. Hundreds of people are going to lose their jobs.

And then people like you will blame the evil corporations and ask "how could something like this happen??!?"

Fake

Gold Member
If you were actually paying attention, you'd know what I called ridiculous.

Talking about paying attention, you simple ignore the same premisse TLOUSpart2 did.

Sure you didn't, right?

How can you ask someone to pay attention if you not?

taizuke

I see it's following the trend of continuing the franchise but this time with a female protagonist. Hades is doing it and Kevin Levine's new game is basically Bioshock but with a main female character.

That said, i hope they're able to tell a great and compelling female story with flaws and overcoming obstacles. She needs to be relatable.

The game does look stunning and i'll wait for more information before i decide if having a female protagonist is a good thing or not. All they have to do is not antagonise the people voicing criticism and instead convince us why they went this route.

Last edited:
I have nothing against women protags, but all these skinny women overpowering fully grown man on physical combat is really eye rolling, almost like these women getting into dev positions are realizing their fantasies, Mary Jane in Spider Man 2 was pure cringe.
I agree with you but also the why you articulated this point about women realising their fantasies as game devs is what all game devs have been doing since there has been characters in games.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
They're going to fire people. Like, a lot of them. Literally hundreds. Hundreds of people are going to lose their jobs.

And then people like you will blame the evil corporations and ask "how could something like this happen??!?"
"People like you". Yeah, when you highlight even one post where I say anything even remotely close to that, I'll tackle that nonsense.

In the meantime, yes, Concord flopped. This is known and irrelevant.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Talking about paying attention, you simple ignore the same premisse TLOUSpart2 did.

Sure you didn't, right?

How can you ask someone to pay attention if you not?
The Last of Us Part II isn't this game. Why is it relevant? What am I supposed to be paying attention to?

Eh? People complaining about a female protagonist in a 3rd person game is insane to me.

Giving me the choice I will always pick female characters.

I guess you guys really enjoy staring a dude's ass for 20 plus hours.... Immersion breaker... Yeah... Right...

ha gay GIF
I often see this type of comment and wonder who stares at a character’s arse when they’re playing a game, seriously? Just go have a wank if you need it that badly.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
? what is "too much"? We have a quote now?

Wow.

You people are ridiculous. We are getting a female lead in GTA6 too. Sucker Punch isn't going woke.
I agree, but that doesn't matter to people like this man, what they are even calling that is with the fucking thinnest of evidence.

Merely existing is enough for this claim to be made, so if that terms to them simply means anyone existing at all, this shit can't be helped.

What they see as that or not has become more and more irrelevant. Using their logic, anything is fucking this now lol

Be like "Mario Is Woke, we found out he was Italian and a plumber, not only are they pandering to the country, its clear they are pandering the the plumbing industry..its clear Nintendo is getting some sorta kick back from some Plumber Industry" lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'll probably get nuked out of orbit for this, but I thought Jin Sakai was kinda bland. So, I don't mind the change in protagonists as long as they don't make her insufferable.
He was extremely bland - I cant name one memorable line or memorable moment he had in the original game. We're not losing much here.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll probably get nuked out of orbit for this, but I thought Jin Sakai was kinda bland. So, I don't mind the change in protagonists as long as they don't make her insufferable.
I actually kind of agree. His character was a bit bland, but his story was interesting so it wasn't unbearable for me.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Historically, how many samurai were female? Even if you can find 3 like I read in a post in this thread, how many is that comparatively? What is the historicity of it? Or is it just modern politics invading a medium? If the game wasn't set in feudal Japan I wouldn't mind it, but it is.
Historically, how many females were Tomb Raiders with giant boobs and dual pistols? How many explored mansions with zombies present?

Just sayin' :p

Fake

Gold Member
Fake Fake

I see, so every woman on a quest for Vengeance is an Ellie clone. Makes sense...

Dude, was fun talking to you, but I'm getting tired. For real, tone down your console war mentality for a change.

Topher

Gold Member
Historically, how many samurai were female? Even if you can find 3 like I read in a post in this thread, how many is that comparatively? What is the historicity of it? Or is it just modern politics invading a medium? If the game wasn't set in feudal Japan I wouldn't mind it, but it is.

Who said she was samurai? And Japan has made movies in the past that put a female in a warrior role.

Last edited:
Top Bottom