• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Saber

Now that I watch I can say I will keep my eye on it.

But not entirelly on it. Not because its not GoT(I love this game) or being a female protagonist. Its because its modern Sony we're talking about, so I don't want anything to do with something similar to Spider-Woke 2.
I trust Sucker Punch alot, but I will be very cautious. Deliver me a game with strong story, good main character and dialogues and then its sold. But if I sense any form of message or dumb social shit then its goodbye, pretty much like others Sony titles.

Kacho

In Samruai Warriors I killed thousands as a female with a flute.

Happy Star Trek GIF

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm not saying this looks bad, I like how Ghost looks, but I did expect its sequel to make use of PS5 just like the first game did, to the point of us thinking it was a PS6 game sorta like how we thought Ghost 1 was a PS5 launch title at reveal lol

I think it looks good James, but I got to give my honest opinion on it.

That's cool, but the scale of the game looks a lot larger - look at how far you can see in the distance on these vistas.

Ghost looked good because it had a very pleasing aesthetic, and that is the case here. It's not really trying to push hyper detail. The in-game captures look like a painting to me.

For people claiming that this doesn't look like enough of visual leap from it's predecessor - the initial reveal of the first game had people claiming it looked "next gen":

Obviously, there were some downgrades before the final release , like shadows, discrete branches for foliage on bamboo trees + physics, LoD. Just watching the sequel's trailer, I can already spot RT reflections and snow deformation systems. Other parts of the lighting engine look much improved too (RT global illumination instead of probe based)?

Last edited:
Can we not compare this to that "other" Japan-based open world game? I'm on with this take if they take some cues from Blue Eyed Samurai which is a great series about a female lead. And considering that Sucker Punch is on a role lately, I will give them the benefit of the doubt instead of falling into Sweet Baby Inc territory

Dr.Morris79

Now that I watch I can say I will keep my eye on it.

But not entirelly on it. Not because its not GoT(I love this game) or being a female protagonist. Its because its modern Sony we're talking about, so I don't want anything to do with something similar to Spider-Woke 2.
I trust Sucker Punch alot, but I will be very cautious. Deliver me a game with strong story, good main character and dialogues and then its sold. But if I sense any form of message or dumb social shit then its goodbye, pretty much like others Sony titles.
That's pretty much my stance too. It's a damn shame you can't just instantly look forward to a game these days without that weird forced pandering that's so prevalent in so much media these days

It would have been an instant buy but it's now a wait and see.

Heres hoping. I really enjoyed the first, it'll be a damn shame if they shit the bed on the second

GudOlRub

Fuck yes! So fucking hyped
And considering Ubisoft's fear of having a solo female protagonist and having this silly dual protag gimmick since Odyssey which is now blowing up in their face with Shadows, it's even funnier that Sucker Punch has come to sucker punch them with a solo female protagonist for a game set in in the same period as Shadows. If Ubisoft delays AC they might actually be cooked, or even more cooked than they already are :messenger_tears_of_joy:

With this being said, I am a bit sad we won't be getting a Jin sequel, considering the Mongols invaded Tsushima once again not even 10 years after the events of GoT I was quite certain we'd get a sequel with Jin and see the end of his story, so I'm a bit bummed we won't...

But oh well, we'll be getting more Ghost of Tsushima gameplay and visuals and that's the most important part so I'm still hyped for this game.

Ridicululzz

Due to the nature of the modern audience here at Gaf, I am once again forced to remind some of you that there is a non-woke, feudal Japan-focused action/adventure game developed by a Japanese studio. It even allows you to play as a male, or female

odVE8BC.jpeg

fwH6uT2.jpeg

2v7Nyqq.png
Ronin was so much fun. Had some good times playing the coop mode with my friends too

Romulus

Visuals looks the same to me. Is there a reason we're forced to play as a gender thats physically much weaker/slower in a game about speed and killing?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I remember when yurinka yurinka said this was likely for 2029.
To be fair that would make more sense with a new engine.

I don't think any of us thought they'd use the same one tbh.

With such a short window, I do wonder how much new elements is in the game or if this is just like Ghost 1, but bigger or something.

It's tiring, lmao.
I think Sucker Punch has made it clear with this trailer that the series is 'Ghost of', not 'Ghost of Tsushima' and it's not only about Jin (or this new protagonist for that matter).

True, they'll argue what ever they want, nothing can be done lol

We did suggest a long time ago it would likely be like Ghost Of "blank" even jokely I've said Ghost Of Osaka and Ghost Of Kyoto as its something that makes sense to not lock down the IP with 1 character

If we are to believe they are looking at that AC type set up, it would make sense to move on and with the elements in Ghost 1 that had to do with the Edo time frame, I'm not even surprised by that as I called that too, it seemed like they LOVE that time frame, like.....a lot, so it was an easy guess that it would be a different character, different time, different name.

SP was clever moving 400 years in case anyone ask about Jin. Now you see this being using as a moto from the Playstation fanboys.
This is really lame, man, I figured there was so much more to tell with Jin’s story. I mean, hes the Ghost by the time the game is finished. I was looking forward to going on adventures with him as the legend he became.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I figured there was so much more to tell with Jin’s story.
Like what?

GoT already borrowed heavily form Edo (to the point of being fantasy) and Jin's arc closed perfectly with GoT DLC IMO. I actually salute SP for not dragging too much into the second more-of-the-same Mongol invasion within the very, very restrictive historic period (yes, even katana is a huge anachronism).

Fake

Gold Member
This is really lame, man, I figured there was so much more to tell with Jin’s story. I mean, hes the Ghost by the time the game is finished. I was looking forward to going on adventures with him as the legend he became.

And Jin is a young one in the first game. Imagine in this 'supposed sequel' he being a middle age veteran samurai/assassin. Would be fucking amazing.

Like what?

GoT already borrowed heavily form Edo (to the point of being fantasy) and Jin's arc closed perfectly with GoT DLC IMO. I actually salute SP for not dragging too much into the second more-of-the-same Mongol invasion within the very, very restrictive historic period (yes, even katana is a huge anachronism).
Nothing specially, I just wanted to go on more adventures with Jin. Sorry that’s hard for you to understand.

CosmicComet

Ghost of Tsushima was my second favorite PS4 game behind Bloodborne.

So sad to say I have zero interest in this sequel.

And yes, the female protag is the main reason for it. GoT is not a fantastical, mythical setting so playing as a female one man army requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

That and Sony studios tend to make poor female protagonists, they usually end up boring overpowered Mary sues that are never at fault.

Last edited:

yurinka

I remember when yurinka yurinka said this was likely for 2029.
I always say AAA games take 5-9 years to make. So if this started in 2020, this means around 2025-2029. Or if started in 2021, then around 2026-2029.

In any case, I wasn't expecting it for 2025. I expected minimum 2026 being more likely.

But hey, I'll take this for dinner:

crowtable.original.jpg

ajanke

The aesthetic and music are great. It doesn't matter if the protagonist is a girl.

The protagonist can be a monkey for all I care. If the gameplay is good, the game is good.

If you take the culture war complaining too far, you'll be consumed by it, and if you're an anti-woke hammer, everything will look like a nail. Criticize the game when there's actually something of substance to criticize.
That reminds me. I'm stuck on black myth wukong and I haven't played in two weeks. I AM DONE.

Leave those women main character and lgbt bullshit comments aside. I hope they actually puts free climping system like ass creed and better stealth gameplay. Better cutscene, animation is a must too.

Last edited:

nicoGec

Fuckers moan in the internet about Dragon Age because they can’t create Sidney Sweeney, but at the same time they don’t want to play as a woman because it’s woke.

Last edited:
And Jin is a young one in the first game. Imagine in this 'supposed sequel' he being a middle age veteran samurai/assassin. Would be fucking amazing.
Yes exactly I figured we’d get and older grizzled veteran who’s a through and through badass. He could easily travel to various parts of Japan and have some cool adventures. Doesn’t have to be historically accurate either.

ajanke

I always say AAA games take 5-9 years to make. So if this started in 2020, this means around 2025-2029. Or if started in 2021, then around 2026-2029.

In any case, I wasn't expecting it for 2025. I expected minimum 2026 being more likely.

But hey, I'll take this for dinner:

crowtable.original.jpg
Kind of reminded me of GOW with how fast they got the sequel out. Once they got it down they probably had all the ideas they scrapped for the first ready to be made for the second. Then again maybe I remember this all with rose-tinted glasses because I liked the PS4-5 GOW games.

yurinka

Kind of reminded me of GOW with how fast they got the sequel out. Once they got it down they probably had all the ideas they scrapped for the first ready to be made for the second. Then again maybe I remember this all with rose-tinted glasses because I liked the PS4-5 GOW games.
Well, to make a pretty direct sequel is faster than to make a new IP (or super huge reboot in case of GoW).

In this case they'll take 5 years or 5 and a half. It's on average for recent AAA games, around 5-9 years. I personally thought they were going to take 1 or 2 years.

Specially because I thought pretty likely a big chunk of the team did work on Legends and the DLC+PS5 version, but now we see isn't the case. Seems that after release they did split to have a team to work in some DLC while another team started to work in the sequel. Which sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom