• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

mrcroket

Takes like this are fucking retarded and far too knee jerk.

You're swinging the pendulum too far in the right direction.

Are we sick of the BS girl boss, Mary-Sue characters woke America have been shitting out since 2014? Of course we are!

But that does mean we should reject wholesale every female character in games/movies/media without even knowing or experiencing fuck-all of their in-media portrayal? Absolutely not! That's fucking dumb.

How about we wait to actually play the game to see how this female character is portrayed in the actual game when it releases before passing judgement?

If she ends up being a vapid girl-boss, Mary-Sue caricature, then have at ye.... but.. if she's more like a 90s Lara Croft or Lt. Ripley from the Aliens movie... then shit... we might just be in for a treat.
Tell me a female character from Playstation's western studios that isn't a Mary Sue. And may I remind you that we recently learned that Concord was seen by Sony as "the future of Playstation" and that they invested $200 million.

And no, it's not about being against having female characters, it's about the context in which they're introduced, and the intentionality. Does it bring something different to the game when it's a woman? Why do you think they made the change?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Dude, was fun talking to you, but I'm getting tired. For real, tone down your console war mentality for a change.
In other words, you have no answer. Cool beans.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Folks will not allow this to be a work of fiction, so prepare yourself for folks making some history and accuracy claim lolz
semiconscious semiconscious fuck did I say? lol Like clock work! lol

You can't make this shit up...
Historically, how many samurai were female? Even if you can find 3

Sir, this game is about 1 person. It is not about every last female to ever exist in Japan during this time, so even if we can find 3, she is one of those 3.

The game is about one of those 3.

Stop trying to argue this as if the point of the fucking game was to represent an entire populous as that is wildly ridiculous and no one at Sucker Punch is making any weird ass claim like this.

The game is about 1 person. It is not saying the whole entire population in the game is female, they are all samurai and they are telling you a factual 1.1 historical fact.

Stop arguing this weird census shit as if a game MUST have this to have a character exist. Do you have the data on Vampires or Werewolves and dragons too? lol

Emedan

? what is "too much"? We have a quote now?

Wow.
Sorry but I'm entitled to my opinon. We will now have 2 games about feudal Japan from a great studio, and it's 50% female, does that sound representative of the age?
Historically, how many females were Tomb Raiders with giant boobs and dual pistols? How many explored mansions with zombies present?

Just sayin' :p
Well they don't try to exist within a world that tries to create historical authenticity now do they?

Again, for me it's mostly about the history. I was a history major in the university and I hated how modern politics ruined the subject, and this was 10 years ago.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sorry but I'm entitled to my opinon. We will now have 2 games about feudal Japan from a great studio, and it's 50% female, does that sound representative of the age?
Meme Reaction GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Well they don't try to exist within a world that tries to create historical authenticity now do they?

Again, for me it's mostly about the history. I was a history major in the university and I hated how modern politics ruined the subject, and this was 10 years ago.
Point me in the direction of the historical mismatch. What specifically is wrong here? It can't just be about the lead.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Guys, you can't bash the game just because it has a female protagonist. We need to see more to have any meaningful assessment.

Let's fuck wokeness at every opportunity we can, but we need to be sane and reasonable people, that's what differentiates us from the woke mobs.
At the same time, why was there a need to change Protagonists? There was a lot more that could be told of Jin's story. This is what's most disappointing to me., Sony's willingness to kill off fan favorite character for no particular good reason. And also considering TLOU2 and Spider-Man 2, I am not expecting anything particularly great out of a modern Sony Western studio anymore.

EDMIX

does that sound representative of the age?
The game is about those individuals, it is not a census made for some data thing arguing about the majority during that time frame....

Why the fuck would they want the average person? The game is clearly about extraordinary things as....well its a fucking video game.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
At the same time, why was there a need to change Protagonists? There was a lot more that could be told of Jin's story. This is what's most disappointing to me., Sony's willingness to kill off fan favorite character for no particular good reason. And also considering TLOU2 and Spider-Man 2, I am not expecting anything particularly great out of a modern Sony Western studio anymore.
Again, I don't get this. Why can't they have a new lead? What is the big deal?

Emedan

Point me in the direction of the historical mismatch. What specifically is wrong here?
ugh I said my piece. Im out.
The game is about those individuals, it is not a census made for some data thing arguing about the majority during that time frame....

Why the fuck would they want the average person? The game is clearly about extraordinary things as....well its a fucking video game.
Aight, you're entitled to have that outlook, I don't. Peace out!

Fake

Gold Member

Agree. The same Sony that flood Twitter/Facebook witch a bunch of meme/gifs about Jin and his gang, doesn't make much sense to me.

Unless saying GoT was always a AC without a fixed protagonist was the real goal.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Ghost of Tsushima was my second favorite PS4 game behind Bloodborne.

So sad to say I have zero interest in this sequel.

And yes, the female protag is the main reason for it. GoT is not a fantastical, mythical setting so playing as a female one man army requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

That and Sony studios tend to make poor female protagonists, they usually end up boring overpowered Mary sues that are never at fault.
Such a weird take. The first game was one of your favorites, this game is made by the exact same people and your disappointed because it’s a female protag?

I trust Sucker Punch a hell of a lot more than Guerilla when it comes to story and gameplay. Why wouldn’t you wait till the game comes out or at the very least when you have access to more than an announcement trailer to judge the game. Hell, the fact that you might be controlling a wolf as part of the gameplay is cool enough in concept that I’d be willing to give the game a chance.

LMJ

I think people might be judging too quickly here...

The game takes place centuries after the first, and on top of that we know NOTHING other than what they've shown, perhaps you start as Jin and unlock her, hell we don't even know the the antagonist except a half dead Ronin hunting...(yeah we don't know her name either lol)

If this is girlboss garbage than yeah screw this game, but we know nothing!

Chill Leopard GIF

Toons

Tell me a female character from Playstation's western studios that isn't a Mary Sue. And may I remind you that we recently learned that Concord was seen by Sony as "the future of Playstation" and that they invested $200 million.

Does Mary Sue mean "has basic competence at literslly anything" because if so then they all are, but if you're a rational person then plenty of them are not. Not even ellie is a Mary sue, there's tons of stuff she cant do.

And no, it's not about being against having female characters, it's about the context in which they're introduced, and the intentionality. Does it bring something different to the game when it's a woman? Why do you think they made the change?

They told you why they made the change already. Problem is yall will reject that if it doesn't fit the reason you decided in your head.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I think it's absolutely justified to express that you don't like the main character change, as you did, from a gameplay/story perspective. But equating having a female protagonist to the game being woke is too much of a stretch. I can't see anything woke just from the trailer, if it does turn out to be liberal trash, you can count on me to meme in every GoY thread, like I did in Concord, Suicide Squad and many more, lol.

Topher

Gold Member
I think people might be judging too quickly here...

The game takes place centuries after the first, and on top of that we know NOTHING other than what they've shown, perhaps you start as Jin and unlock her, hell we don't even know the the antagonist except a half dead Ronin hunting...(yeah we don't know her name either lol)

If this is girlboss garbage than yeah screw this game, but we know nothing!

Chill Leopard GIF

We really don't, but folks gotta overreact anyway

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

EDMIX

So keep in mind a lot of us could see the classic um " historical" argument coming a mile away because it's usually the buffer people have used to try to support this ridiculous take

Its like...my friend this is a fake video game it is specifically about the individual they're talking about it is not made as a representation for some exact statistic based on the actual country as this makes zero sense

So even if we are going to stay statistically how many people did this or that this is equivalent to telling me you played a fucking basketball game where the character made it to the finals and ends up winning at 6 times and you're going to tell me how unrealistic this is because most people do not make it to the NBA in the first place

That's almost as if some of you have fucking failed to understand you're talking about a fake fictional video game, You just happened to be playing the game that is based on someone like Michael Jordan

You are playing a fake game based on someone doing something extraordinary the developer is not arguing with you that this is the majority based on some fucking population thing some of you are making up

This has always been a very strange argument and makes absolutely no sense and why people try to reach for this thinking it gives them some sort of validity or adds some authority to something is beyond me. The developer is not fucking telling you most women were this, they are telling you 1 person in their game which is the main character is this...

I think it's absolutely justified to express that you don't like the main character change, as you did, from a gameplay/story perspective. But equating having a female protagonist to the game being woke is too much of a stretch. I can't see anything woke just from the trailer, if it does turn out to be liberal trash, you can count on me to meme in every GoY thread, like I did in Concord, Suicide Squad and many more, lol.

I agree 100%, but..we've seen people make this claim literally off of nothing but just seeing a female.

They'll just do the same with this game as well as looking up tweets from every person from Sucker Punch

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Such a weird take. The first game was one of your favorites, this game is made by the exact same people and your disappointed because it’s a female protag?
Pretty much the gist of about 25-35% of the posts in here. I get wanting more of Jin. I don't get the complaining about a female lead. One reply claims historical inaccuracies, then bails when that is questioned. The meat and potatoes is simply in your post and much of it is overreaction.

"Today we are so happy to announce Ghost of Yōtei, the latest game from Sucker Punch and the introduction of our new hero, Atsu.

When we set out to make a new Ghost game, we wanted to maintain the core pillars established in Ghost of Tsushima: playing as a wandering warrior in Feudal Japan, offering freedom to explore at your own pace, and highlighting the beauty of the world.

We also wanted to continue to innovate. To create something fresh but familiar, we looked beyond Jin Sakai’s story and the island of Tsushima, and shifted our focus to the idea of the Ghost instead. At Sucker Punch we love origin stories, and we wanted to explore what it could mean to have a new hero wearing a Ghost mask, and uncovering a new legend. This led us to Ghost of Yōtei: a new protagonist, a new story to unfold, and a new region of Japan to explore.

While we aren’t diving into story specifics yet today, we can reveal that Atsu’s journey takes place in 1603, more than 300 years after the events of Ghost of Tsushima. Our story is set in the lands surrounding Mount Yōtei, a towering peak in the heart of Ezo, an area of Japan known as Hokkaido in present day. In 1603, this area was outside the rule of Japan, and filled with sprawling grasslands, snowy tundras, and unexpected dangers. It’s a far cry from the organized samurai clans who lived in Tsushima, and it’s the setting for an original story we can’t wait to tell.

This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.

Our trailer today offers a glimpse into this world, but there’s so much more to show, and we’ll have much more to share in the months ahead, including details about Atsu’s journey and the people (and animals) she’ll meet along the way. We are forever grateful for the success of Ghost of Tsushima, and we can’t wait for you all to experience Ghost of Yōtei in 2025."

Aion002

Gold Member
I often see this type of comment and wonder who stares at a character’s arse when they’re playing a game, seriously? Just go have a wank if you need it that badly.
Jokes apart... I like looking at women's, I dislike looking at dudes.

It's not a matter of being horny or not, it's just a preference. I don't complain when a game has a man as a playable character, but I enjoy more when is a woman.

And I find weird when people complain when a woman is the playable character... It's just bizarre to me.

TrueGrime

Pretty much the gist of about 25-35% of the posts in here. I get wanting more of Jin. I don't get the complaining about a female lead. One reply claims historical inaccuracies, then bails when that is questioned. The meat and potatoes is simply in your post and much of it is overreaction.

Most people won't care about the female protag. I don't think there's anything wrong with a little difference. To gripe about it is wasted energy. Lol. This shit is going to cook on the Pro.

Stu_Hart

This is the game you praised to the moon, and the game was getting respect in japan and all. Now some of you are mad as hell because of some female lead. Bunch of fake fans crying about ideologies and trying to fight a losing battle as if they can change the gaming industry.
"oh my gawd...a female character!!!! This is some BS" Go cry yourself to 2025 (don't burst a vein in the process), and beat the dead horse while I enjoy this game. See you soon.

Art style + music [check]
Japanese Samurai x Western like guns, Akira inspired theme [check]

I feel like the more I see Sony 1st party titles they more I desire for a PS5 Pro.

Also, 2025 is going to be insane for PS5 Pro users huh?

- GTA 6
- Ghost of Yotei
- Death Stranding 2
- Monster Hunter Wildlands
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance II
- Like a Dragon, Pirate Themed
- DOOM, Dark Ages
- Indiana Jones
- Mafia Old Country
a lot of that is multiplatform and ghost will be woke.

2 sec of gameplay? Is this a movie? Back then they showcased the first game with plenty of gameplay. Playstation are losing their touch with gamers.

We are here to see videogames, not movies.

EDIT: I was wrong, they also shown the first game with 2 sec of gameplay...

Last edited:

Emedan

Who said she was samurai? And Japan has made movies in the past that put a female in a warrior role.

That's fair, if that's the case I'll eat crow. Though it does not change my point just because there's Japanese movies about female warriors.

I just want to quote myself to emphasize this point about me:
Though to be fair I'm the guy who got irritated at the Houndskull bascinet in Kingdom Come (one of my favourite games of all time) having too large eye slits compared to how it was historically and therefor refused to use it - so I'm a bit retarded.

Now I'm out!

Topher

Gold Member
Culture wars literally destroyed every civil conversation we can have about anything game related.

How can 'Why they replace Jin' become 'You guys just hate woman in videogame'.

I think wishing the game still had Jin in it instead of someone else is completely fair, but that's not the take for a lot of folks in this thread. It is about the assumption that the game is "woke" because the MC is female. I don't think that is a fair take at all.

So really there are two sides to this "culture war" conversation you are talking about, but you can't just blame it all on one side.

Topher

Gold Member
That's fair, if that's the case I'll eat crow. Though it does not change my point just because there's Japanese movies about female warriors.

I just want to quote myself to emphasize this point about me:

Now I'm out!

I was just pointing out the Japanese movies to show that there is precedent in Japanese culture for stories like these. But if you are a stickler for historical accuracy then that's fine too.

CosmicComet

Ah yes, the inevitable modern western lens reinterpretation of pre-16th century history widely known for weaving myth into historical record.

Tomoe was the most famous of these figures and she was practically entirely mythical.

Being pedantic, none of these women were samurai anyway. That was a hereditary male title and had land ownership to go with it.

Sure, wives of samurai for example often did have some training to defend themselves, especially with naginatas which were long pole blades that were safe and relatively easy to use, but no, not a single trained female fighter (i'm taking away the 'samurai' distinction and just saying fighters in general to be fair) would have been 'among the fiercest' in a list with male fighters.

In truth if you created a list of the one hundred greatest samurais/warriors/fighters in Japan not a single woman would be on the list.

We don't have to go back through the shrouding veil of history to imagine how good female fighters were vs male contemporaries.

Afterall, the best female and male fighters in history literally exist right now; in MMA. Modern sports science and an amalgamation of global training styles have created the best fighters there has ever been in human history.

And top female fighters are far below even middling male fighters in speed, hand eye coordination, durability and power, even at equal weight classes. And this is despite equal access to training and a great social acceptability of female fighters.

It's just not close. The top 100 modern fighters would all be men as well. And the next 100 would all be their male opponents etc etc. A list of the best fighters in ancient times would have been even *more* skewed towards men, since it would have been life or death situations of necessity, instead of optional sporting career paths.

But maybe you think it's an exaggeration on my part to say that not a single female would make a top 100 fighters/warriors list in either modern or ancient times?

Hardly. Just compare measurable records in athletics. Compare 100 meter sprint times for example, female vs male. Top female sprint time is 10.49 seconds: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm

That time wouldn't even make this male list: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_100ok.htm

Literally even the 4032nd fastest man on that list is faster the *fastest* woman ever. That is a massive divide.

And that's just in speed. In strength, the gap is even worse: https://www.openpowerlifting.org/rankings/by-total that's a list of the top power lifting records, and that includes male and female lifters. It ranks them by their total on the big three lifts (squat + bench + deadlift numbers all added up).

And as you can see if you have the patience to scroll down far enough, the top female power lifter (Sarah Rainbow) doesn't even crack the list until the 8959th spot. Sheesh...she barely makes the top 9000th in a power lifting list.

So no, women aren't some underestimated physical beings that are competitive with men if they just put their minds to it and overcome social constructs. They aren't physically competitive with men at all. Sexual dimorphism between men and women is massive and is as real a fact as gravity.

Toons

Culture wars literally destroyed every civil conversation we can have about anything game related.

I mean this comment section went from literally focusing on the fact its a female character not that jin was replaced. Many outright saying they "aren't interested" in playing female characters(Which is insanely childish but to each their own), or "everything" is female, blah blah. Which has moved on to googling the voice actor and because she is not straight now that means this character will be a lesbian etc. Not that many are even talking about jin lol.

I never heard jin getting praised to high heaven as some amazing character prior to this; not like Joel or something. Heck any time GOT gets high praise it almost never mentions jin, but the graph is and gameplay. Now he's some unforgettable staple of the franchise? I dont buy it.

blue velvet

It's giving me a huge budget spin off or DLC than a proper sequel. Changing the name although it does make sense and making the protagonist as a woman is a bit brave for a fairly new franchise. Let's see how it'd perform commercially once the game is out.

TrueGrime

2 sec of gameplay? Is this a movie? Back then they showcased the first game with plenty of gameplay. Playstation are losing their touch with gamers.

We are here to see videogames, not movies.

EDIT: I was wrong, they also shown the first game with 2 sec of gameplay...

A tale as old as time when it comes to these companies. I know they want to generate hype, but I was always against early reveals with not a lot of gameplay. This is number 2, though. So I'm sure it'll be like the original, just much much much better.

Half the time I think the people that bring that shit to the discussion do it to hide their lack of knowledge and experience with the games.

tmlDan

Ah yes, the inevitable modern western lens reinterpretation of pre-16th century history widely known for weaving myth into historical record.

Tomoe was the most famous of these figures and she was practically entirely mythical.

Being pedantic, none of these women were samurai anyway. That was a hereditary male title and had land ownership to go with it.

Sure, wives of samurai for example often did have some training to defend themselves, especially with naginatas which were long pole blades that were safe and relatively easy to use, but no, not a single trained female fighter (i'm taking away the 'samurai' distinction and just saying fighters in general to be fair) would have been 'among the fiercest' in a list with male fighters.

In truth if you created a list of the one hundred greatest samurais/warriors/fighters in Japan not a single woman would be on the list.

We don't have to go back through the shrouding veil of history to imagine how good female fighters were vs male contemporaries.

Afterall, the best female and male fighters in history literally exist right now; in MMA. Modern sports science and an amalgamation of global training styles have created the best fighters there has ever been in human history.

And top female fighters are far below even middling male fighters in speed, hand eye coordination, durability and power, even at equal weight classes. And this is despite equal access to training and a great social acceptability of female fighters.

It's just not close. The top 100 modern fighters would all be men as well. And the next 100 would all be their male opponents etc etc. A list of the best fighters in ancient times would have been even *more* skewed towards men, since it would have been life or death situations of necessity, instead of optional sporting career paths.

But maybe you think it's an exaggeration on my part to say that not a single female would make a top 100 fighters/warriors list in either modern or ancient times?

Hardly. Just compare measurable records in athletics. Compare 100 meter sprint times for example, female vs male. Top female sprint time is 10.49 seconds: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm

That time wouldn't even make this male list: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_100ok.htm

Literally even the 4032nd fastest man on that list is faster the *fastest* woman ever. That is a massive divide.

And that's just in speed. In strength, the gap is even worse: https://www.openpowerlifting.org/rankings/by-total that's a list of the top power lifting records, and that includes male and female lifters. It ranks them by their total on the big three lifts (squat + bench + deadlift numbers all added up).

And as you can see if you have the patience to scroll down far enough, the top female power lifter (Sarah Rainbow) doesn't even crack the list until the 8959th spot. Sheesh...she barely makes the top 9000th in a power lifting list.

So no, women aren't some underestimated physical beings that are competitive with men if they just put their minds to it and overcome social constructs. They aren't physically competitive with men at all. Sexual dimorphism between men and women is massive and is as real a fact as gravity.
Will Ferrell Chill GIF

yes, i'm looking down to you like the little girl the gif isn't showing

Last edited:
Top Bottom