• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

A tale as old as time when it comes to these companies. I know they want to generate hype, but I was always against early reveals with not a lot of gameplay. This is number 2, though. So I'm sure it'll be like the original, just much much much better.
But it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I don't fucking care about a movie. And Gameplay was the worst part of Tsushima for me so I guess they didn't improve here as they were again not confident enough to show more than 2 fucking seconds of it. Infamous games had not great gameplay too, but it was actually super fun to use the powers. This is not fun.

Last edited:

Stu_Hart

Culture wars literally destroyed every civil conversation we can have about anything game related.

How can 'Why they replace Jin' become 'You guys just hate woman in videogame'.
I see ya...
Just in general....this is why I am now leaning closer to multiplayer gaming. I have always supported single player games, but discussing them in many forums is no longer about the gameplay, the lore, you know...stuff that draws me to these game to begin with.

Pantz

Japan should be celebrating this, apparently the male population there dont get to see too many women in general looking at the birth rate

/s
The majority seemed happy with it, but many calling out political correctness. And everyone trolling Yasuke/Ubisoft.

TrueGrime

But it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I don't fucking care about a movie. And Gameplay was the worst part of Tsushima for me so I guess they didn't improve here as they were again not confident enough to show more than 2 fucking seconds of it. Infamous games had not great gameplay too, but it was actually super fun to use the powers. This is not fun.

You wanted to see gameplay, but hated the gameplay of the first. I don't think there's going to be a huge departure from what we got from the first one, so something tells me if they did show more GP you would hate it the same, lol. I get what you're saying though.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Will Ferrell Chill GIF

yes, i'm looking down to you like the little girl the gif isn't showing
I'm relaxed.

Perhaps others shouldn't be so defensive about the idea that it's hard to suspend disbelief that a skinny woman in a non-supernatural/magical setting can beat up multiple male fighters in fair fights.

If she was purely a ninja or something, sure. But that's not the case.

Difficulty of suspension of disbelief is a reasonable objection to not being into something, it's no different than not liking an art style.

Tell me a female character from Playstation's western studios that isn't a Mary Sue. And may I remind you that we recently learned that Concord was seen by Sony as "the future of Playstation" and that they invested $200 million.

And no, it's not about being against having female characters, it's about the context in which they're introduced, and the intentionality. Does it bring something different to the game when it's a woman? Why do you think they made the change?
Except Colin's source was bullshitting him.

Assuming he even had a source.

Saber

@Fake
I see, so every woman on a quest for Vengeance is an Ellie clone. Makes sense...

Lack of originality yeah. So hard to grasp or you gonna throw "don't buy it" low effort argument again?

I like GoT and gonna keep my eye on this one but even I agree theres some argument here about not being original.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Ah yes, the inevitable modern western lens reinterpretation of pre-16th century history widely known for weaving myth into historical record.

Tomoe was the most famous of these figures and she was practically entirely mythical.

Being pedantic, none of these women were samurai anyway. That was a hereditary male title and had land ownership to go with it.

Sure, wives of samurai for example often did have some training to defend themselves, especially with naginatas which were long pole blades that were safe and relatively easy to use, but no, not a single trained female fighter (i'm taking away the 'samurai' distinction and just saying fighters in general to be fair) would have been 'among the fiercest' in a list with male fighters.

In truth if you created a list of the one hundred greatest samurais/warriors/fighters in Japan not a single woman would be on the list.

We don't have to go back through the shrouding veil of history to imagine how good female fighters were vs male contemporaries.

Afterall, the best female and male fighters in history literally exist right now; in MMA. Modern sports science and an amalgamation of global training styles have created the best fighters there has ever been in human history.

And top female fighters are far below even middling male fighters in speed, hand eye coordination, durability and power, even at equal weight classes. And this is despite equal access to training and a great social acceptability of female fighters.

It's just not close. The top 100 modern fighters would all be men as well. And the next 100 would all be their male opponents etc etc. A list of the best fighters in ancient times would have been even *more* skewed towards men, since it would have been life or death situations of necessity, instead of optional sporting career paths.

But maybe you think it's an exaggeration on my part to say that not a single female would make a top 100 fighters/warriors list in either modern or ancient times?

Hardly. Just compare measurable records in athletics. Compare 100 meter sprint times for example, female vs male. Top female sprint time is 10.49 seconds: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_100ok.htm

That time wouldn't even make this male list: https://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_100ok.htm

Literally even the 4032nd fastest man on that list is faster the *fastest* woman ever. That is a massive divide.

And that's just in speed. In strength, the gap is even worse: https://www.openpowerlifting.org/rankings/by-total that's a list of the top power lifting records, and that includes male and female lifters. It ranks them by their total on the big three lifts (squat + bench + deadlift numbers all added up).

And as you can see if you have the patience to scroll down far enough, the top female power lifter (Sarah Rainbow) doesn't even crack the list until the 8959th spot. Sheesh...she barely makes the top 9000th in a power lifting list.

So no, women aren't some underestimated physical beings that are competitive with men if they just put their minds to it and overcome social constructs. They aren't physically competitive with men at all. Sexual dimorphism between men and women is massive and is as real a fact as gravity.

Maybe you missed the point about this being a fictional video game.

I really don’t get why people get so pressed about race or gender of who you play as in a videogame. Be it here or on the other forum. Theres room for it all. Game looks good tho - not mind blowing but good

sachos

Yeah, its a shame people being OK with a replacement like that. Jin is a huge part of the game and was one of the reasons for the game sucess.

I remember people making the same excuses about Joel and Ellie not being the core of TLOUS franchise and moving foward.

Unique characters unfortunately are becoming part of past.
Its shocking but i think there is potential here depending how they treat Jin's legacy. Maybe he became a legend inspiring revolutionaries throughout the ages, that would be pretty cool. Gives potential to find stories all over the place.
Plus i dont think character replacement on sequels is that new, we've been dealing with it since Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Assassins Creed.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Lack of originality yeah. So hard to grasp or you gonna throw "don't buy it" low effort argument again?

I like GoT and gonna keep my eye on this one but even I agree theres some argument here about not being original.
And around the merry-go-round goes! :nougat_rofl:

If you're going to join the complaining, at least get caught up on the discussion (and if you're going to talk about tired/low effort arguments, while completely ignoring all the recycled claims about "wokeness", then this is an easy display of hypocrisy).

Bottom line is no one argued about originality. The bitchin' was about a female protagonist and many of us wanted to understand why that was a problem and "even you" should be able to pick up on why people questioned that.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

Maybe you missed the part where I can choose to spend my money as I see fit for whatever justification?

You have long had the tendency of making the most banal and pointless replies to people on this forum.
You free to, nothing in my post states otherwise....

Merely pointing out this is a fictional game sir, it makes no claims about being about some statistical thing in Japan

its not real.

its not based on any 1.1 type of thing and I don't recall this team ever stating it was or something.

So you posting all of that reference from some historical thing is irrelevant, why would I be banned for reminding you the thing you are questioning is not the aim of this game in the first place?

How dare I remind you the thing you posted isn't what the team has ever claimed? smh

Jokes apart... I like looking at women's, I dislike looking at dudes.

It's not a matter of being horny or not, it's just a preference. I don't complain when a game has a man as a playable character, but I enjoy more when is a woman.

And I find weird when people complain when a woman is the playable character... It's just bizarre to me.
I guess I just find it weird that people prefer playing as a female character in a game because they dislike looking at male character's arses. I mean it's not like they're wearing bikinis or sexy flanders outfits or something.

I mean, what's there to look at here? I can't say I've ever played a third person game and looked at the character's arse and though, 'eww I wish I could play as a woman'

xySHbGj.jpeg
u6IGUu6.jpeg
eGyps04.jpeg
PpCnWP6.jpeg

Last edited:

Toons

lol....no you don't.

61811096b3f3a8a5f4ad1e83a26101e015-kill-bill.1x.rsquare.w1400.jpg

Much less grounded than Ghost of Yeti and released at a time when #GirlBoss wasn't rammed down your throat non stop.

Buddy if this movie came out today tons would be saying saying "wtf a white 100 lb girl killing dozens of Asian male Ninjas?? Tarantinos gone woke" thered be YT thumbnails, internet arguments and even that dumbass amongold pitching in, even musk would have something to say.

The fact is the artistic expression of he medium of entertainment has been crippled by these BS monikers, and boxes that everything has to fit into. maybe irreparably so. Because nowadays a director wouldn't make that movie because they'd either be concerned about beign called woke, or racist or etc. Now movies cant just be movies and video games can just be games they all have to reflect whatever social thing is happening to everyone else. If a male dies in a video game it fit the story it has to he because the writer hates men. If a woman shows boobies in a game its not because the director likes boobs, its because the director is "fighting against the woke". If a movie has a gay character the writer hates straight people. *everything* gets filtered through this and half the time its for little to no reason; like this game. An asian warrior protagonist? Old news. Asia has done this millions of times. Their ancient fables like Mulan have that as a theme. Crouching tiger hidden dragon? "Too unrealistic!!" I say not unrealistic enough.

If Ghosts could have released 15 years ago with no issues than it should be able to release today with no issues. There will always be discussions relativd to the environment its released in, thats how art works. But too many aren't even willing to give something a try and will just project their own biases onto it.

Its too much. Let artists work and make what they make, and time will tell how itd received now; or later.

TrueGrime

Buddy if this movie came out today tons would be saying saying "wtf a white 100 lb girl killing dozens of Asian male Ninjas?? Tarantinos gone woke" thered be YT thumbnails, internet arguments and even that dumbass amongold pitching in, even musk would have something to say.

Man, I would think or hope that when people saw how much over the top, unrealistic shit that was done like flying in the goddamn air would make people no go off the deep end and ask those kinds of questions. Lol.

Last edited:

sachos

The music was amazing kinda like a western vibe to it. The view distance and sense of scale was HUGE. I really hope they can achieve some nice RTGI for this, kinda looked like that in that bar scene no?

Sure, Jen...

Did you skip RE3 because Chris is missing?
Or RE4 because Leon is the protagonist again?

Oh, the hills some people choose to die on...
Certain posters choose LaLa Land to argue from. You've unfortunately been hit by a not-so-smooth criminal.
It all breaks down the minute anyone decides to try and apply these arguments retroactively. That’s the one fatal flaw of this culture war. It has no choice but to start with all media post-2016, or else it becomes utterly ridiculous and people will double down with bad lies and at worse, re-writing of reality/history to try and keep it all together.

Tell me a female character from Playstation's western studios that isn't a Mary Sue. And may I remind you that we recently learned that Concord was seen by Sony as "the future of Playstation" and that they invested $200 million.

And no, it's not about being against having female characters, it's about the context in which they're introduced, and the intentionality. Does it bring something different to the game when it's a woman? Why do you think they made the change?

Elle from TLOU, Aloy...

In fact, I can't think of a Sony Studio's character who IS a Mary-Sue apart from Mary-Jane in Spider-Man 2, and you know that was all Marvel... because Disney lol.

You're so grossly mistaken that I think you're confusing Sony with some other publisher entirely. Either that or you don't know what a Mary-Sue archetype is.

Top Bottom