• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Kusarigama could be cool. That's about all I got from that trailer. I loved the 1st one in act 1 and 2 then just dropped it and couldnt do it anymore.

Main thing I was hoping to see was cities, buildings and interiors. Doesnt seem like its going to be different from the 1st game in that area so far at least. I'll definitely play it at some point.

fallingdove

If she was some stealth and/or ranged warrior, I wouldn't have an issue.

She's a melee warrior. All 110lbs of her. In a grounded setting.

No. Just, no.
In a video game where you absorb mortal wounds and keep coming back to life after you die and follow the wind and nearby animals to hidden items.

Seems like a female lead is pretty trivial in comparison.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Kill bill was cringe af as a high schooler too.
quentin-tarantino-shocked.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In a video game where you absorb mortal wounds and keep coming back to life after you die and follow the wind and nearby animals to hidden items.
Two things the entire gaming populace has been conditioned to accept since the dawn of the medium.
Seems like a female lead is pretty trivial in comparison.
...vs observing the profound physical disadvantages women have in combat our entire lives.

Trivial is not the word I would use.

Topher

Gold Member
Two things the entire gaming populace has been conditioned to accept since the dawn of the medium.

...vs observing the profound physical disadvantages women have in combat our entire lives.

Trivial is not the word I would use.

Compared to the absolutely batshit crazy stuff we do in video games on a regular basis, being a female warrior is absolutely trivial.

Last edited:

RedHotFlip

Neo Member
I don't really care if the main character is female or not, even though it's hard not to get exhausted with it all ..I just thought Jins story had a lot more left in the tank. With games taking all of a decade to come out stuff like this is a big deal.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Sony taking the +5 body type 2 bonus on Metacritic to not end up with 83 Metascore again :messenger_winking:
I'm not an expert in japanese culture, will they have a problem with that or will they love the game as much as they loved GoT?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Doesn't even refer to anything I said so I'd say yours is the equivalent of a mental belly flop.

Drop Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos
You suggested that we do lots of unbelievable stuff in other games so it's OK if we do it here.

As if art works like that...

Let me as you, if this game starred a 13 year old boy protagonist instead...would you be fine with that as well? If the actor playing Atreus (no magical powers) was just crushing hundreds of trained soldiers...you'd think that's fine in a somewhat grounded setting?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You suggested that we do lots of unbelievable stuff in other games so it's OK if we do it here.

As if art works like that...

Video games work like that.

Let me as you, if this game starred a 13 year old boy protagonist instead...would you be fine with that as well? If the actor playing Atreus (no magical powers) was just crushing hundreds of trained soldiers...you'd think that's fine in a somewhat grounded setting?

Appealing to extremes ain't an argument here. Jin shouldn't even have been able to do half the things he did in the first game. You are talking about a guy scaling mountains with a grappling hook. Nothing "grounded" about that. Doing the impossible is the crux of many games. Suddenly you have a problem with it?

I found this interesting....

Female samurai warriors, known as “onna-bugeisha,” were a rare but remarkable phenomenon in medieval Japan. While the term “samurai” is often associated with male warriors, women in Japan also played significant roles in defending their families, homes, and honor during conflict. Here’s a brief overview of female samurai warriors:

1. Tomoe Gozen: One of the most famous onna-bugeisha in Japanese history, Tomoe Gozen, lived during the late 12th century. She was a skilled warrior and a retainer of Minamoto no Yoshinaka, a samurai general during the Genpei War (1180-1185). Tomoe Gozen is said to have been a formidable archer and swordswoman who fought bravely in several battles.
  2. Hangaku Gozen: Another notable female warrior from the Genpei War era, Hangaku Gozen, is known for her role in the Siege of Fukuryūji in 1189. She defended her family’s fortress against the forces of Minamoto no Yoshitsune and demonstrated great courage and leadership.
  3. Empress Jingu: While not a traditional samurai, Empress Jingu is legendary in Japanese history. According to folklore, she led a military expedition to Korea in the 3rd century CE, shortly after the death of her husband, Emperor Chūai. Her campaign is a prominent story in Japanese mythology, and she is often celebrated as a symbol of female strength and leadership.
  4. Mochizuki Chiyome: During the 16th century, Mochizuki Chiyome is believed to have established a network of female spies and warriors, known as “kunoichi,” to gather intelligence and support the Takeda clan. While she may not have engaged in combat, her role in espionage and her leadership in training other women to be spies and infiltrators are noteworthy.
  5. Yamauchi Chiyo: Yamauchi Chiyo was a female warrior from the 16th century who fought alongside her husband, Tachibana Muneshige, in the service of the Ōtomo clan. She is remembered for her martial skills and bravery in battle.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How do you go from nut hugging the gender neutral atrocities of Concord, to trying to bash this on the premise of "woke?"

Go Away What GIF by TNC Africa
It's actually logical if you think about it.

Concord was 10x more fantastical and wasn't based on narrative. I just ran around a map with a floating gun on the right side of my screen trying to shoot opponents. It was also based on ranged weapons.

Ghost of Yeti is narrative focused and presents a far more grounded world. You're going to go into an establishment wearing your mask and heavy suit. You're going to listen to sexist men say and do bad stuff because they don't know you're woman. Then you're going to kung fu them with your muscle and superior reflexes as a 110lb female. Gag.

Again, would you be OK with a 13 year old boy as the protagonist instead? It's just as (un)believable.

Last edited:
Yet were practically lactating themselves over Neir and Stellar Ass. I'm confused.
It's because went from Jin to a female character. This just seems like a move to score diversity points IMO.

Besides amongst Sony first party games there seems to be a lack of male characters.

This probably sounds stupid but as a male I
prefer to play games with male characters.

On the same note I'd happily play Stellar Blade with female character (and I would expect ans hope the sequel also features rhe same female character).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Again, would you be OK with a 13 year old boy as the protagonist instead? It's just as (un)believable.

No, it isn't

Female samurai warriors, known as “onna-bugeisha,” were a rare but remarkable phenomenon in medieval Japan. While the term “samurai” is often associated with male warriors, women in Japan also played significant roles in defending their families, homes, and honor during conflict. Here’s a brief overview of female samurai warriors:

1. Tomoe Gozen: One of the most famous onna-bugeisha in Japanese history, Tomoe Gozen, lived during the late 12th century. She was a skilled warrior and a retainer of Minamoto no Yoshinaka, a samurai general during the Genpei War (1180-1185). Tomoe Gozen is said to have been a formidable archer and swordswoman who fought bravely in several battles.
  2. Hangaku Gozen: Another notable female warrior from the Genpei War era, Hangaku Gozen, is known for her role in the Siege of Fukuryūji in 1189. She defended her family’s fortress against the forces of Minamoto no Yoshitsune and demonstrated great courage and leadership.
  3. Empress Jingu: While not a traditional samurai, Empress Jingu is legendary in Japanese history. According to folklore, she led a military expedition to Korea in the 3rd century CE, shortly after the death of her husband, Emperor Chūai. Her campaign is a prominent story in Japanese mythology, and she is often celebrated as a symbol of female strength and leadership.
  4. Mochizuki Chiyome: During the 16th century, Mochizuki Chiyome is believed to have established a network of female spies and warriors, known as “kunoichi,” to gather intelligence and support the Takeda clan. While she may not have engaged in combat, her role in espionage and her leadership in training other women to be spies and infiltrators are noteworthy.
  5. Yamauchi Chiyo: Yamauchi Chiyo was a female warrior from the 16th century who fought alongside her husband, Tachibana Muneshige, in the service of the Ōtomo clan. She is remembered for her martial skills and bravery in battle.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, it isn't

So again, if I showed you a list of histories legendary child warriors, would you be OK with a 13 year old boy protagonist in Ghost of Yeti?

Ghost of Tsushima was my second favorite PS4 game behind Bloodborne.

So sad to say I have zero interest in this sequel.

And yes, the female protag is the main reason for it. GoT is not a fantastical, mythical setting so playing as a female one man army requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

That and Sony studios tend to make poor female protagonists, they usually end up boring overpowered Mary sues that are never at fault.
You do know the Japanese actually got wrecked on that Island like 99% of what occurrs in the game didnt happen?

Raven117

Cannot unhear it now, and that's not a bad thing.
it sure sounded awesome in the trailer. Hope they don’t over due it.
Westerns and Samurai films are two sides of the same coin.
They definitely are. (See e.g. Magnificent 7 and 7 samurai). And they lend themselves to one another very well in terms of certain themes.

Flat out this looks great. As for the story…. They have big shoes to fill behind Jin’s story. But hey… let’s see where they go.

Last edited:

sendit

Concord was 10x more fantastical and wasn't based on narrative. I just ran around a map with a floating gun on the right side of my screen trying to shoot opponents. It was also based on ranged weapons.

Ghost of Yeti is narrative focused and presents a far more grounded world. You're going to go into an establishment wearing your mask and heavy suit. You're going to listen to sexist men say and do bad stuff because they don't know you're woman. Then you're going to kung fu them with your muscle and superior reflexes as a 110lb female. Gag.

Agreed. A grounded world like Ghost of Yeti needs to have 110lb women in the kitchen cooking ramen. Sucker Punch has gone full woke.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Why does anyone care who the actress is? No one will be playing as her. She is playing the role.

What am I missing?
You are missing the bigger picture. A team of developers who choose to seek out a representative of a certain community will also make decisions to represent it in other aspects of the game. It’s an indicator of what’s to come. This is not by accident imo.

Whenever that is good or bad is everyone’s personal opinion.

You are missing the bigger picture. A team of developers who choose to seek out a representative of a certain community will also make decisions to represent it in other aspects of the game. It’s an indicator of what’s to come. This is not by accident imo.

Whenever that is good or bad is everyone’s personal opinion.

Yup, Sony could have chosen any beautiful feminine Japanese actress but they always choose a certain "type"

GYTAr-9WwAAC3_A

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Agreed. A grounded world like Ghost of Yeti needs to have 110lb women in the kitchen cooking ramen. Sucker Punch has gone full woke.

Or, and hear me out, they could write her character based on her innate physical disadvantages rather than turn her into the strongest BRUTE on the island?

That would actually be interesting so they won't do it.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
So again, if I showed you a list of histories legendary child warriors, would you be OK with a 13 year old boy protagonist in Ghost of Yeti?

I personally wouldn't care. This is a fictional work and it never actually makes any point of being some real life type thing.

Look at the child solders in MGSV

2601002-mgs.jpg

So...its fake. (and yes, I'm aware child solders exist in this country lol)

So I can't speak for Topher Topher , but I'm personally ok even with the hypothetical you are saying. We don't actually NEED some real life refence for it to exist anymore then we don't need someone to tell us a female in real life killed 88 people with a samurai sword

8df795ff084334df900473191c0a00bc.gif
b2325e350655c7313dd1427f1577c16aec5acf4e.gifv

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

screamqueensedit GIF

Characters like Bayonetta, Jeanne, 2B, A2, Samus, and Claire prove that games can have badass playable female characters.

I hope Sucker Punch delivers a solid female character lead in Yotai and don't fill the game with excess thematic elements or variations of dialogue along the lines of "you can't do ______, you're a WOMAN!" - "YES, I CAN!!!", or "SHE is the Ghost. SHE is strong. SHE will save the people".

Top Bottom