• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

YukiOnna

I'll give Sucker Punch the benefit of the doubt since they did well with Tsushima. Although, that was a different time period for when the game started development compared to now, so some caution on my end. At least the NYTimes feature was assuring minus the annoying multimedia franchise nonsense Hermen keeps pushing. I hope JP Audio is in at launch this time (IIRC it came after for Tsushima?)

That said, I despise protagonist changes so it'll take a bit to get used to and there isn't much confidence in how Western developers write female ones for me

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

...vs observing the profound physical disadvantages women have in combat our entire lives.
I would completely agree with you if we were talking about hand-to-hand combat.

But weapons can be a great equalizer. In this case, a woman who I am assuming is very trained with using a katana and guns can absolutely kill males despite her physical disadvantages. Small women kill large men with knives in the real world all the time.

MHcAWsP7_400x400.jpg
Complete creative bankruptcy, as expected.

Business

Yet were practically lactating themselves over Neir and Stellar Ass. I'm confused.

I’ll explain, on one side you have stylized fantasy over the top action games that don’t need to make much sense from a real world standpoint and you throw in a hot female main character for the aesthetics of the tits and ass. On the other you have a game that presents itself as sort of realistic and historically accuarte, where you are implicitly asked to believe a female samurai could consistently and successfully engage male opponents despite being at a terrible disadvantage in terms of strenght, speed, reach… you name it.

You may think this is of little importance, it’s just a videogame and I may even agree, although it’s also true it would be naive to look at Sony’s main IPs and miss the pattern / agenda. Anyway, that’s the explanation.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I personally wouldn't care. This is a fictional work and it never actually makes any point of being some real life type thing.

Look at the child solders in MGSV

2601002-mgs.jpg

So...its fake. (and yes, I'm aware child solders exist in this country lol)

So I can't speak for Topher Topher , but I'm personally ok even with the hypothetical you are saying. We don't actually NEED some real life refence for it to exist anymore then we don't need someone to tell us a female in real life killed 88 people with a samurai sword

8df795ff084334df900473191c0a00bc.gif
b2325e350655c7313dd1427f1577c16aec5acf4e.gifv
Can you picture a protagonist where even you would say "OK, now that's pushing it"? Where is the line for you to say "Actually, casting a role matters and they did poorly here."

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I would completely agree with you if we were talking about hand-to-hand combat.

But weapons can be a great equalizer. In this case, a woman who I am assuming is very trained with using a katana and guns can absolutely kill males despite her physical disadvantages. Small women kill large men with knives in the real world all the time.
True, but do they kill trained male soldiers all the time?

Ronda Rousey can beat up a lot of men. She can't beat up a lot of male UFC fighters.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I really don’t get why people get so pressed about race or gender of who you play as in a videogame. Be it here or on the other forum. Theres room for it all. Game looks good tho - not mind blowing but good

A few years ago, I would 100% agree with you.

But there's this very overt & obvious trend happening where many entertainment companies in games, movies and tv are trying to cash in on this overly political "uprising" after all the shit that went down in 2020. We all know it's fake and they don't care, but regardless, in doing so, they started hiring various people to fulfill certain roles of leadership and other roles. This is where my personal problem comes in. It's not about race or gender, it's the people behind it trying to make it all about them and not the players or fans. This hurts the overall products. It creates a toxic positivity environment where you can't question anything otherwise you're a bigot and will probably lose your job.

Many games and projects I am/was interested in started shifting drastically into personal ideologies, beliefs and other stuff to conform to these "various" people's values, not the players, not the fans.

MOST people don't want to see BLM, Pride flags and "fuck capitalism" gen z teen writing... People can disagree with me and say I'm wrong, but the recent sales data corroborates this too.

DeepSpace5D

I’m mainly referring to domestic violence incidents, but it happens more than you think. I’d be happy to share with you some pretty sad documentaries if you’d like.

My main point is weapons are an equalizer when at a physical disadvantage against someone.

tmlDan

I'll give Sucker Punch the benefit of the doubt since they did well with Tsushima. Although, that was a different time period for when the game started development compared to now, so some caution on my end. At least the NYTimes feature was assuring minus the annoying multimedia franchise nonsense Hermen keeps pushing. I hope JP Audio is in at launch this time (IIRC it came after for Tsushima?)

That said, I despise protagonist changes so it'll take a bit to get used to and there isn't much confidence in how Western developers write female ones for me
Japanese was there at launch, but i think the mouth syncing came later, not the VO.

I remember playing it at launch in Japanese, i'll do the same with this

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

True, but do they kill trained male soldiers all the time?

Ronda Rousey can beat up a lot of men. She can't beat up a lot of male UFC fighters.
Perhaps not a soldier if both parties are ready for the engagement and both have weapons. But it’s a videogame at the end of the day, isn’t it?

I’m just saying it’s not so farfetched or impossible for me to suspend disbelief when weapons are involved. The backhanded slap that knocks out men in one shot like in Star Wars: Outlaws is ridiculous though. It’s way more unbelievable for me when it’s hand-to-hand.

Pejo

I’m mainly referring to domestic violence incidents, but it happens more than you think. I’d be happy to share with you some pretty sad documentaries if you’d like.

My main point is weapons are an equalizer when at a physical disadvantage against someone.
Well I guess if you keep moving the goalposts until you're right, it's hard to argue against you?

Even still, I don't buy your point when it comes to melee weapons or something that requires/tests physical strength.

DeepSpace5D

Well I guess if you keep moving the goalposts until you're right, it's hard to argue against you?

Even still, I don't buy your point when it comes to melee weapons or something that requires/tests physical strength.
What goalpost did I move exactly? I feel like I just reiterated my original point?

Topher

Gold Member
So I can't speak for Topher Topher , but I'm personally ok even with the hypothetical you are saying. We don't actually NEED some real life refence for it to exist anymore then we don't need someone to tell us a female in real life killed 88 people with a samurai sword

I think it would be doable considering even Jin in GoT was exaggerated greatly. No man is going to take on an multiple Mongol garrisons single handed or zip around a dozen mountains with a grappling hook to pray at a shrine. Why are we pretending any of this is "grounded" in reality? It just isn't.

You are missing the bigger picture. A team of developers who choose to seek out a representative of a certain community will also make decisions to represent it in other aspects of the game. It’s an indicator of what’s to come. This is not by accident imo.

Whenever that is good or bad is everyone’s personal opinion.

That's your assumption. If you are correct then I'll consider the facts of the matter then. As of right now, we don't know any of that to be true.

Last edited:

Pejo

What goalpost did I move exactly? I feel like I just reiterated my original point?
I had issue with your point that "Small women kill large men with knives in the real world all the time."

You replied to that with something that had nothing to do with what I quoted.

sendit

Or, and hear me out, they could write her character based on her innate physical disadvantages rather than turn her into the strongest BRUTE on the island?

That would actually be interesting so they won't do it.
Agreed. A 110lb female cook who uses the scent of cherry blossoms to lure her victims into a hot spring, where she serenades them with a calming koto melody while secretly lacing their miso soup with fugu (puffer fish) poison.

I think you're on to something bro.

GooseMan69

I’ll explain, on one side you have stylized fantasy over the top action games that don’t need to make much sense from a real world standpoint and you throw in a hot female main character for the aesthetics of the tits and ass. On the other you have a game that presents itself as sort of realistic and historically accuarte, where you are implicitly asked to believe a female samurai could consistently and successfully engage male opponents despite being at a terrible disadvantage in terms of strenght, speed, reach… you name it.

You may think this is of little importance, it’s just a videogame and I may even agree, although it’s also true it would be naive to look at Sony’s main IPs and miss the pattern / agenda. Anyway, that’s the explanation.

In the first game, Jin could teleport between enemies at the speed of light and summon lightning from the sky. A woman character dispatching enemies isn’t exactly a huge leap from that.

Trilobit

I always knew Jin might not be the MC in the sequel and I'm glad they went with a new character instead of forcing him into a sequel where they didn't know what to do with him in that era. Instead we get the 17th century with all that entails.

The game looks amazing and I'll probably salivate like crazy when riding through the environments. Though I'm still a little bit sad to not see Jin again as I really loved the character.

TrueGrime

Just curious here. You're saying that male strength will always trump a smaller female that knows how to use weapons, including knives?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Raven117

Having a female protagonist with a revenge story could really be good without it feeling forced

Imagine if her child was killed or kidnapped or something pushing her story forward with twists along the way.

Sucker punch gets the benefit of the doubt here
Agreed. There is nothing inherently wrong with a female protagonist (combat prowess aside irl… this is a video game. Who cares).

The issue is when they don’t develop her hero’s arc. Or better yet, they should focus on what a hero’s arc looks like for a women. (Sarah Conner and Ripley are incredible examples of well written, layered, and complex women… whose strengths and weakness reflected that of women). Hell, even Sadie from Red Dead 2 was decent enough in this regard.

They go this route… we are in for something very cool and unique. They go the Mary Sue route… or something so basic with her overcoming some banal “flaw” within herself… we are in for a disappointing story.

Last edited:

Pejo

70 year old woman kills a 31 year old man with a knife concealed in her cane. I shit you not.

That's one, how does that quantify to "all the time?" Surely there should be a few from today if this is so common?
Just curious here. You're saying that male strength will always trump a smaller female that knows how to use weapons, including knives?
Often enough that we will never see a military unit of female soldiers with small knives, yes. Without the element of surprise I would estimate this is VERY rare.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It was long predicted that Sony will treat Ghost of Tsushima as their own Assassin's Creed.

Different protagonists in different time periods and even in different countries would make sense for this IP.

I LOVED Jin and would prefer to play as him in the sequel. But it's not the end of the world. We could treat each game as its own thing - a kind of a new IP - with fresh ideas, instead of forcing a sequel story that didn't come organically.

DeepSpace5D

I had issue with your point that "Small women kill large men with knives in the real world all the time."

You replied to that with something that had nothing to do with what I quoted.
In that case perhaps I should have said “it’s not uncommon” instead of saying it happens “all the time.” I’m not trying to say there is a crisis in the world concerning knife-carrying women.

But my original point was that weapons can be a great equalizer when someone is at a physical disadvantage against someone else, including women. That’s why it’s a great idea for women to carry a firearm in their purse when they go out alone.

And in this game, she uses both firearms and swords by the looks of it. We also know nothing about her level of training which absolutely plays a factor in ability.

Last edited:
Characters like Bayonetta, Jeanne, 2B, A2, Samus, and Claire prove that games can have badass playable female characters.

I hope Sucker Punch delivers a solid female character lead in Yotai and don't fill the game with excess thematic elements or variations of dialogue along the lines of "you can't do ______, you're a WOMAN!" - "YES, I CAN!!!", or "SHE is the Ghost. SHE is strong. SHE will save the people".
The icing of the cake will be if they make the main character in this game a lesbian - which seems to be the default setting for all Sony games.

Interfectum

Actors and actresses can have colorful personal lives and still turn in good performances. Look no further than the past of the person in the GIF you posted.
No doubt… I guess we’ll just see how much of that vibe from her tweets translates into her performance.

Varteras

I'm okay with the main character being a woman. What I hope not to see is any kind of nonsense where all the men are incompetents, barbarians, or overt sexists while the women in the game hoard all the virtue and routinely humiliate the men in multiple ways. Just write her well. Make a compelling story without a bunch of virtue signaling. Also, avoid giving her a needlessly shitty attitude and give me the opportunity to like and empathize with her. Unlike Aloy.

Pejo

In that case perhaps I should have said “it’s not uncommon” instead of saying it happens “all the time.” I’m not trying to say there is a crisis in the world concerning knife-carrying women.

But my original point was that weapons can be a great equalizer when someone is at a physical disadvantage against someone else, including women. That’s why it’s a great idea for women to carry a firearm in their purse when they go out alone.

And in this game, she uses both firearms and swords by the looks of it. We also know nothing about her level of training which absolutely plays a factor in ability.
I don't want to be a stickler or a dick, but I think these sweeping generalizations used to just handwave modern progressive decisions in games that are trying to be period accurate are disrespectful. That was my real reasoning for quoting your post. It's a valid criticism in this case, in my opinion. Doesn't mean the game sucks or the character is bad, but if they're going for realism, they're already falling behind. People that are upset that they did the unmask reveal to see a woman have valid opinions.
Couldn't even add "with knife" to your snarky link? Most of those links aren't relevant to the discussion at all, but thanks.

DeepSpace5D

That's one, how does that quantify to "all the time?" Surely there should be a few from today if this is so common?
Dude you’re interpreting “all the time” in a different way than I meant it to be. It doesn’t have to mean multiple times per day necessarily. I just meant it’s not an uncommon thing to happen in the real world.

Edit: here’s one of the more recent cases I watched.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That's your assumption. If you are correct then I'll consider the facts of the matter then. As of right now, we don't know any of that to be true.
You are acting a if gay/lgbt actors in Japan are a common thing. It’s not at all comparable to the US/EU.

Japan just recently got their first tv show portraying real gay dudes to raise acceptance in Japan. They are rather conservative over there.

Then you have other pointers that show Sonys first party games having a lgbt axe to grind. From their biggest developers.

It’s okay. Not every piece of media has to cater to me, I enjoyed that privilege for decades.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm okay with the main character being a woman. What I hope not to see is any kind of nonsense where all the men are incompetents, barbarians, or overt sexists while the women in the game hoard all the virtue and routinely humiliate the men in multiple ways. Just write her well. Make a compelling story without a bunch of virtue signaling. Also, avoid giving her a needlessly shitty attitude and give me the opportunity to like and empathize with her. Unlike Aloy.
You're asking for too much.

Trilobit

I will say this though. If they've skipped these onsen scenes and don't show her butt then it's a case of serious double standards. I wish though there would be a toggle off in both games.

V2kAEnApoyCAcpYB7ED2UV.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Couldn't even add "with knife" to your snarky link? Most of those links aren't relevant to the discussion at all, but thanks.

Yeah.....because there are hundreds of pages of results and I was trying to drill down to ones that involved women killing men. No need to get butthurt about it.

Top Bottom