• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

At least she looks hot in the Black Lives Matter shirt, just look at those thick thighs :messenger_savoring:

GYTYjiqbIAAFarF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Did I watch a different launch trailer to others on GAF?
Apart from being a female protagonist i did not see anything that indicated the characters sexual orientation. Just a lot of conjecture here.
Will this same conjecture happen when the new Zelda game release this week? Or the next Metroid or Tomraider?
I do not think that all game design decisions are part of a "woke agenda".
Nintendo would get the benefit of the doubt. Sony doesn’t and shouldn’t.

Sony taking the +5 body type 2 bonus on Metacritic to not end up with 83 Metascore again :messenger_winking:
I'm not an expert in japanese culture, will they have a problem with that or will they love the game as much as they loved GoT?
I doubt the Japanese have any issue with female protagonists. The number of shounen and senien manga, which are orientated towards men, that have female protagonists, male who turn into female protagonists, etc are too many to count. Not to mention how prevalent yuri is. Even in the idol industry, notorious for sexism and being strictly against dating, female idols are frequently paired against other female idols. Heck, Japanese might just prefer if Atsu turns out to be a lesbian.
You are acting a if gay/lgbt actors in Japan are a common thing. It’s not at all comparable to the US/EU.

Japan just recently got their first tv show portraying real gay dudes to raise acceptance in Japan. They are rather conservative over there.

Then you have other pointers that show Sonys first party games having a lgbt axe to grind. From their biggest developers.

It’s okay. Not every piece of media has to cater to me, I enjoyed that privilege for decades.
I don't know about the movie industry, but it is common in manga, anime and idol industry. Heck check out Hololive jap( the biggest vtuber community with most idols having millions of followers) and how many times each idol has been paired with other female idols. Even numerous h-games geared towards men have yuri or even female protagonists.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I doubt the Japanese have any issue with female protagonists. The number of shounen and senien manga, which are orientated towards men, that have female protagonists, male who turn into female protagonists, etc are too many to count. Not to mention how prevalent yuri is. Even in the idol industry, notorious for sexism and being strictly against dating, female idols are frequently paired against other female idols. Heck, Japanese might just prefer if Atsu turns out to be a lesbian.

I don't know about the movie industry, but it is common in manga, anime and idol industry. Heck check out Hololive jap( the biggest vtuber community with most idols having millions of followers) and how many times each idol has been paired with other female idols. Even numerous h-games geared towards men have yuri or even female protagonists.
That’s because some men there are too insecure and live a fantasy that they have a chance with those girls. These lonely men lose their minds upon finding out that those women are real and have a romantic life.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah you would know it without reading the stories, just by playing the game because they added voice lines in-game. I remember an intro quip that was added later at the character select screen where she says she "likes her women like her sake, cool and unfiltered" or something to that effect.

And does that feel out of place or forced? And again, I'd be careful assigning influence as that could be a chicken or egg situation. Representation is sought after so her character could have been defined long before she received the role.

Looking at her credits, the only game I've spent time with is Daemon X Machina so I can't speak much to her work but looking at the roles, I'm guessing sexuality doesn't come into play for a lot of them (Dream Daddy and Dragon Age aside).

And I'm not trying to invalidate your point of view as we know people like Anita Sarkeesian had some influence over Neil Druckmann but I just try to judge a story by the story. Straight and gay characters (and everything in-between) can be written and acted well and poorly (and everything in-between again). I didn't hate TLOU2's story because Ellie was gay, I hated it because the character motivations felt flimsy and the actions taken seemed foolish (and a host of other problems). And if TLOU2 is anything to go by, we'll surely know everything about the Ghost sequel long before it releases. I'd just wait to see what it is before dismissing it, though that's easy for me to say as I'm not terribly interested in the game in the first place as I thought the original was rather tedious.

You misunderstand my question.

Obviously you know the difference between good art and bad art. I'm saying for you, what would the protagonist have to be to where you personally would go "OK, that pulls me out of the fantasy"?

This is not a question intended for the artist but of the audience.

Would you be OK with a 13 year old boy as the sword wielding warrior protagonist? What about a 70 year old woman? What about the blue coat wearing round Concord character? What about an anthropomorphic horse?

Everyone has a threshold where a poorly designed character pulls them out of the narrative. For me, it's watching a small woman outdual trained male samura in mortal combat. I'm asking what it would be for you.
Most shounen manga have teen or even younger protagonists beating grown men. Naruto, was a 13year old, small knife wielding, protagonist who was taking out big dudes pretty frequently.

Fate series( arguably the most money printing anime series) reimagines most heroic/legendary figures as females. Including King Arthur, Musashi Miyamoto, etc.

One of the fate series game, fate/grand order grossed more than 4 billion usd, last I checked, and has a useless male protagonist with far more powerful female protagonist. It was also the same game that started the gacha culture.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
..dare I ask what “yellow peril” is?
I dared and wasn't surprised by the answer: The Yellow Peril is a racist color metaphor that depicts the peoples of East and Southeast Asia as an existential danger to the Western world.

Moses85

Got the Platin Trophy in the First game but it was a Hard fight.

Story was good but outside of the Main Story it was boring as fuck and the Mission Design reminded me on Far Cry (copy and paste)

Now Finally a female Main Protagonist

200.gif

Nice graphics but

No Thank You Reaction GIF

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Late to the party but this shot with the mountain in the background is so fucking gorgeous. I feel like the art direction is even better than GoT.

2rWH4bA.gif

Here's another gif I've made from the trailer:

6WoSwbe.gif

Edit: I've re-encoded a slightly higher quality version of the first gif I've posted and cropped the black bars to make it more cinematic:

Tw0vRZr.gif

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You misunderstand my question.

Obviously you know the difference between good art and bad art. I'm saying for you, what would the protagonist have to be to where you personally would go "OK, that pulls me out of the fantasy"?

This is not a question intended for the artist but of the audience.

Would you be OK with a 13 year old boy as the sword wielding warrior protagonist? What about a 70 year old woman? What about the blue coat wearing round Concord character? What about an anthropomorphic horse?

Everyone has a threshold where a poorly designed character pulls them out of the narrative. For me, it's watching a small woman outdual trained male samura in mortal combat. I'm asking what it would be for you.
I have nothing against any of those, if the world fits it, if they are able to tell a great story around that character, I'm fine with all of it.

So your issue is you are disregarding the world itself, "poorly designed" is based on the intent of what the artist was going for....

If the goal of the game is a universe that has established some 70 year old person can fight (Old Boy) or Metal Gear Solid IP, then I'm fine with it as that keeps in me in that fantasy cause that is the world they've established that I've chosen to play in.

Thats like saying you don't believe in dragons, thus a game is poorly designed cause the dragons take you right out of it...

Sir...that world established what it isn't and what it is, you can take it or leave it, but lets reframe from claiming something is poorly designed based on personal preference. ie taking a butter knife to cut a steak and then calling the knife itself "poorly designed"

This is why the artist matters.

What is their intent? If that intent is to suggest their world supports that those fantastical ideas, that isn't really poorly designed if they are able to convey that thru the game. Enough things occur in MGS to say what you are saying would happen in that universe and enough happens in Ghost to actually say that too. If it take you out it, that is your issue.

They never in this IP suggest the gameplay or the abelites of the people themselves is to be taken like a 1.1 reference of life, keep in mind some games are like btw, but I don't see anything with this IP that establishes this, several key boss battles and Jin with Flaming swords confirms this IP doesn't care about those mortal limitations and is more anime in its fantastical nature

EDMIX

Did I watch a different launch trailer to others on GAF?
Apart from being a female protagonist i did not see anything that indicated the characters sexual orientation. Just a lot of conjecture here.
Will this same conjecture happen when the new Zelda game release this week? Or the next Metroid or Tomraider?
I do not think that all game design decisions are part of a "woke agenda".
lol they do this all the time.

Be like (She nodded her head)

WOW....i've seen all I need to see to KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

They are so blatant she doing it RIGHT IN YOUR FACE, shoving it DOWN YOUR THROATS!

if you don't see it...just WOW!

lol

PeteBull

Nice the anti woke target is on a Sony game again. Feels like 2020.
Will thoroughly enjoy the bickering on sidelines. Or maybe everyone can just

top gun deal with it GIF
Im fricken as big antifeminist as they can get, and i still loved the trailer and giving game a chance, it can be done in a classy and respectful way like GoT or it could be done like SW Outlaws/AC:Shadows, female protag doesnt mean game is/has to be woke, or og Tomb Raider games were woke too?

a98c8e9e-f9f4-4bc8-81c3-24a1411331c7_text.gif

Last edited:
What are the chances we are going to see this protagonist's ass every time we go in to the springs. I'm guessing zero.

And well done on picking a woke moron to star in your game.

Luckily I don't care too much because the first game was a snoozefest and the main character came across like a pussy. That woman he was with early in the game seemed much more manly, which is par for the course for modern woke gaming.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Having a female protagonist with a revenge story could really be good without it feeling forced

Imagine if her child was killed or kidnapped or something pushing her story forward with twists along the way.

Sucker punch gets the benefit of the doubt here

If they can deliver a decent story without forcing (modern) political, cultural, or gender-related agendas into the game, I don’t mind who they cast—as long as said person's not complete tool and does a good job.

PeteBull

The og Tomb Raider gaming company didn't make multiple AAA games with a woke lesbian woman as the lead before making Tomb Raider games though, Sony don't get the benefit of the doubt here
U got a point there, ofc, and i will critique game if/when i see clear signs of wokeness/clown world, for now we only saw short reveal trailer and only clue is female protagonist, so i reserve decision to change my opinion later on with more info avaiable for us, but i wont bash game solely on a premise it has woman as a main character, simply =D

Edit: I See Edmix liking my posts and he is known SJW here on the site, so it rings alarm bell in my ears, but again, gotta be fair to any game, no prejudice from me, especially that i loved previous SP dev studio projects so yup, im bit biased and love sucker punch on a basis of merit- aka they made great games before.

Last edited:

Zathalus

She's a melee warrior. All 110lbs of her. In a grounded setting.

No. Just, no.
You know what the difference is between a man with a katana charging a fortification with several dozen armored warriors wielding spears and archers vs a woman doing so?

Nothing, they both end up dead.

This is a game, one that is pure power fantasy really. You can claim its supposed to be "grounded" but the stuff Jin does in the first game is impossible for a man or a woman to really accomplish. You're complaining about (for a trained peak level athlete/warrior) a difference in 30% strength, 10% difference in sprinting speed and stamina, zero difference in long distance stamina, and very little differences in general hand speed and reflexes (for trained athletes you are talking about a few milliseconds). By this logic all video game protagonists should be the absolute peak of all physical parameters otherwise it breaks suspension of disbelief. And they better not get up to any superhuman shit neither.

kyussman

I loved the first games art direction so much,this is more of the same so the impact is lessened this time around,I've seen it all before......honestly didn't expect a girl boss though,lol.....I should have known better,it is 2024 after all.This won't be the game to bring me kicking and screaming back to actively gaming again,gonna need more than a more of the same sequel with added estrogen.

midnightAI

Well, this thread has officially now gone to shit, well done done to those shitting on this game at any cost. I got up this morning expecting people to be talking about Ghost... Guess not

I loved the first games art direction so much,this is more of the same so the impact is lessened this time around,I've seen it all before......honestly didn't expect a girl boss though,lol.....I should have known better,it is 2024 after all.This won't be the game to bring me kicking and screaming back to actively gaming again,gonna need more than a more of the same sequel with added estrogen.
In my opinion there are so many games out - I don't have time to play them all. I still have yet to play Wukong and the original Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:

EDMIX

In my opinion there are so many games out - I don't have time to play them all. I still have yet to play Wukong and the original Ghost of Tsushima
No lie, just run thru Ghost Of Tsushima, them side quest do nothing lol

You'll just be saving these farms and its like spammed over the map, the main story is ok, but the real king of that game is the gameplay in terms of the sword combat.

vpance

Asian men must be white man adjacent or worse to keep losing the best roles for them to be cast in. Sad to see SP reverse the positive move they made with Jin.

Boss Mog

People saying the game is woke are stupid af. There is nothing woke in the trailer and a female protagonist is always welcome as long she behaves like a normal human being.

Game looks fantastic and i want to see more gameplay. Also, i hope they keep it for 2025 and it doesn't get a delay.
You're right, female ronins were super common in Japan in the 1600s, they went around fighting hordes of men at once, easily trouncing them. Absolutely nothing woke about it...

midnightAI

Yeah this is barely a gaming forum anymore lol. Every thread these days just gets invested with culture war bullshit almost immediately.
All they are proving are the anti-woke are just as annoying as the woke, I fear for the OT when the time comes

I actually think there is more to it than that though, I think there are many here just trying to shit on a PlayStation game, a very anticipated one at that, under the guise or 'Sony's gone woke'. Erika Iishi has voiced LOADS of games and no-one even batted an eye lid before.

Ozzie666

She looks like she could kick most of our asses, let's be honest here.

Didn't we have a thread not long ago from Sega about how developers need to re-use assets. I'm not saying this is a Spider-man 1.5 or GOW thing, at least I hope not. My trust in Sony and gaming is pretty low right now. The game looks beautiful and it looks like it may be re-using assets. Lets just hope it's a full experience and not another Miles or rush job.

There are 2 types of gamers in the world, those who experienced ass kicking Lara Croft in all her glory and managed to accept the heroine as she was. Then there are those in the west who didn't experience Lara croft pre reboot.

EDMIX

You're right, female ronins were super common in Japan in the 1600s, they went around fighting hordes of men at once, easily trouncing them. Absolutely nothing woke about it...
smh

I mean, this game isn't about what is "super common" its fake, fictional, its about a fantastical action game. What you are saying about fighting hordes of men at once is unrealistic for anyone, MAN OR WOMAN, using this logic Ghost Of Tsushima 1 is "woke" to pander to men.

Or....or, hear me out, this is happening cause this is a fictional game and its world supports this concept, as Jin fights an old woman in the first game, old man in the first game, massive Mongols many times his size, has a flaming sword (i mean literally BOSS DAMN) , none of that sparks me as some thing to pander to man, it merely means its in a fantastical world where those elements fit.

Thats how I see this for man or woman.

So when you see her fighting dudes many times her size and waving a sword on fire, relax with "woke" claim

That wasn't what you were saying about Ghost Of Tsushima 1

Last edited:
Top Bottom