• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I see this floating around. Genderless hmm wonder how this will play out.

RDT-20240925-070039859722921593960702.webp

I'm looking forward to seeing more gemeplay to be honest
sad to my spirit that sony is woke trans now buuuuut they still make armazing AAA games

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You are acting a if gay/lgbt actors in Japan are a common thing. It’s not at all comparable to the US/EU.

Japan just recently got their first tv show portraying real gay dudes to raise acceptance in Japan. They are rather conservative over there.

Then you have other pointers that show Sonys first party games having a lgbt axe to grind. From their biggest developers.

It’s okay. Not every piece of media has to cater to me, I enjoyed that privilege for decades.

What are you talking about? I didn't say a thing about gay/lgbt actors in Japan. You were talking about the devs making a choice that foreshadows "what's to come". I don't know "what's to come" and neither do you.

Boss Mog

Actors and actresses can have colorful personal lives and still turn in good performances. Look no further than the past of the person in the GIF you posted.
But LGBTQ+ people in the modern entertainment industry are almost always activists who strive to push their ideology onto whatever project their working on. I pretty much expect the game character will be a man-hating lesbian just like the actress.

EDIT: Oh I just saw that she's the voice of Valk in Apex Legends, who was revealed to be a lesbian for some reason, because it's important for an FPS apparently. So she has already pushed her ideology on one character and game.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I see this floating around. Genderless hmm wonder how this will play out.

RDT-20240925-070039859722921593960702.webp

I'm looking forward to seeing more gemeplay to be honest
Well we have gotten a very unusual alternate moment here where the devs actually turned a fairly ugly woman into something more appealing in the game.

If that's a case for flipping all modern design sensibilities on its head, maybe we'll get lucky with this one

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Often enough that we will never see a military unit of female soldiers with small knives, yes. Without the element of surprise I would estimate this is VERY rare.

LOL. I swear, some of you people are living in a goddamn fantasy world with this shit.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Can you picture a protagonist where even you would say "OK, now that's pushing it"? Where is the line for you to say "Actually, casting a role matters and they did poorly here."

Please understand, what you're saying is simply based on artist's interpretation and I think you're forcing a little too much of an absolute here

As an artist myself what I'm telling you is there is no line, this is going to be determined by the person who's creating the work and what are the expectations that they're telling you in regards to that universe as in what are the limitations and boundaries are by them themselves as in, did SP tell you they're specifically making this role to be a believable historical thing?

When helping other artists sometimes they would often ask me about tips about creating their characters and sometimes they'll ask me something strange like is the eyes okay or is the nose okay

Sometimes they think I'm joking or trolling when I ask them, In your universe is it supposed to be this? Or Everything is okay lol

As in when you close your eyes is this the way you want the nose to be?

So I often have to stress with other artists, you decide what the fuck that is or isn't because using your weird logic it's like trying to say where is the line in terms if something is done poorly like with drawing someone yellow and drawn eyes "incorrectly" like Matt Groening from The Simpsons

He decides what that universe is as he is the artist , he is the architect.

So if sucker punch decides to tell you that little kids in their universe have amazing sword skills too and there's some mythical child swordsman that can catch swords with his teeth that is what it's going to be...

Look at Kojima, MGS series has lots of wild things that are not just explained, like Liquid jumping 100 plus feet to get into Metal Gear Rex or shit, Raiden being a child solder

Expand your mind and understand you are talking about a artistic thing in which that artist decides where the line is or isn't.

It is their world ,their boundaries.

bender

What time is it?
But LGBTQ+ people in the modern entertainment industry are almost always activists who strive to push their ideology onto whatever project their working on. I pretty much expect the game character will be a man-hating lesbian just like the actress.

I'd be careful not to lump the whole in with the vocal minority. I only played the first third of Tsushima, but I don't remember much, if any, sexual focused material in relation to Jin and I guess I wouldn't expect much of that in the sequel either. Ishii also has an extensive list of games she's lent her voice to, so you can probably judge if your sentiment holds any water by analyzing those performances:

Topher

Gold Member
I'd be careful not to lump the whole in with the vocal minority. I only played the first third of Tsushima, but I don't remember much, if any, sexual focused material in relation to Jin and I guess I wouldn't expect much of that in the sequel either. Ishii also has an extensive list of games she's lent her voice to, so you can probably judge if your sentiment holds any water by analyzing those performances:

There was zero sexual content in the first game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
By the way, there are women military units for the Japanese in Age of Empires 4.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
A lesbian female lead?! Creative genius from Sony. I don't think it's ever been done before!!
People can hate Ubisoft all they want, but they did it right in AC: Odyssey. You can choose wether to play male or female and you can also choose between homosexual and heterosexual affairs or have both.
Every game should do this, give people choices and don't shove it down their throats.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm in! Saved what could have been the worst showcase in the history of showcases from a big publishers.

So there's still another big show this year right?

Pejo

People can hate Ubisoft all they want, but they did it right in AC: Odyssey. You can choose wether to play male or female and you can also choose between homosexual and heterosexual affairs or have both.
Every game should do this, give people choices and don't shove it down their throats.
It's been a long time since I played Odyssey, but doesn't the ending specifically make it so that no matter who you picked, you were REALLY the girl the whole time, and a lesbian, but somehow she had direct descendants?

Eww... playing as girl can make you gay, trust me guys I know *wink wink

Don't make the same mistake I made... I should have stuck with playing as muscular manly men.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

For Shadows though, they decided to go with Yasuke who was a real person, one that was definitely not gay, so giving him the option to be gay in the game is extremely disrespectful.

ByWatterson

Not sure what you mean by sexual content, but there was romance. Jin and Yuna clearly fell in love. The was also several instances of gay romances mentioned in side quests.

We also had at least one female warrior but no one cared four years ago.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean by sexual content, but there was romance. Jin and Yuna clearly fell in love. The was also several instances of gay romances mentioned in side quests.

There was no sex. Wasn't even a kiss. So who cares?

EDIT: Oh I just saw that she's the voice of Valk in Apex Legends, who was revealed to be a lesbian for some reason, because it's important for an FPS apparently. So she has already pushed her ideology on one character and game.

How would you know that?

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
It's been a long time since I played Odyssey, but doesn't the ending specifically make it so that no matter who you picked, you were REALLY the girl the whole time, and a lesbian, but somehow she had direct descendants?
To be honest, i don't remember the story at all. I only remember regretting chosing Alexios after seeing the diving animations :messenger_grinning_squinting:
But my point stands, choices should be the way to go.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Sony really have a talent in finding these rare crazy westernized Japanese actressess don't they

lol_idi_amin.gif

The way you put this sounds like some Japanese actress that moved to the west and found herself ingrained in crazy western ideologies and agendas, as opposed to this chick being a home grown American born in LA.

YukiOnna

No, it isn't

Female samurai warriors, known as “onna-bugeisha,” were a rare but remarkable phenomenon in medieval Japan. While the term “samurai” is often associated with male warriors, women in Japan also played significant roles in defending their families, homes, and honor during conflict. Here’s a brief overview of female samurai warriors:

1. Tomoe Gozen: One of the most famous onna-bugeisha in Japanese history, Tomoe Gozen, lived during the late 12th century. She was a skilled warrior and a retainer of Minamoto no Yoshinaka, a samurai general during the Genpei War (1180-1185). Tomoe Gozen is said to have been a formidable archer and swordswoman who fought bravely in several battles.
  2. Hangaku Gozen: Another notable female warrior from the Genpei War era, Hangaku Gozen, is known for her role in the Siege of Fukuryūji in 1189. She defended her family’s fortress against the forces of Minamoto no Yoshitsune and demonstrated great courage and leadership.
  3. Empress Jingu: While not a traditional samurai, Empress Jingu is legendary in Japanese history. According to folklore, she led a military expedition to Korea in the 3rd century CE, shortly after the death of her husband, Emperor Chūai. Her campaign is a prominent story in Japanese mythology, and she is often celebrated as a symbol of female strength and leadership.
  4. Mochizuki Chiyome: During the 16th century, Mochizuki Chiyome is believed to have established a network of female spies and warriors, known as “kunoichi,” to gather intelligence and support the Takeda clan. While she may not have engaged in combat, her role in espionage and her leadership in training other women to be spies and infiltrators are noteworthy.
  5. Yamauchi Chiyo: Yamauchi Chiyo was a female warrior from the 16th century who fought alongside her husband, Tachibana Muneshige, in the service of the Ōtomo clan. She is remembered for her martial skills and bravery in battle.
Chiyome was only known as a poet with alleged claims that she created a group of kunoichi is heavily doubted. Also, not sure why they're treating kunoichi as real as their existence is still questioned AFAIK... only shinobi are documented.

Looks great artistically but doesn't seem a huge improvement graphically over the first (which looks decent even now). Unfortunately the first one doesn't have the most interesting open world in terms of things to do within it, if they can get more emergent gameplay scenarios within the open world to make it feel alive it could be special. Combat is also too easy in the first so hopefully this has been addressed.

Boss Mog

There was no sex. Wasn't even a kiss. So who cares?
Why does there need to be sex or a kiss to establish sexual orientation? I'm not even understanding your point.
How would you know that?
Because I play Apex Legends and when Valkyrie was introduced there was no mention of her sexual orientation, but later they revealed she was a lesbian, I wonder why...

I don't think that it's a coincidence that a Lesbo Genderfluid Asian Woman landed the main role in 2 AAA games, such as Dragon Age Veilguard, and now Ghost of Tsushima....

Topher

Gold Member
Why does there need to be sex or a kiss to establish sexual orientation? I'm not even understanding your point.

The point is that sexual orientation wasn't a focus. There was no options to romance or anything like that. There was the one side quest you mentioned and that was just about it. If that changes with GoY then it will be a major departure from the first game.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Please understand, what you're saying is simply based on artist's interpretation and I think you're forcing a little too much of an absolute here

As an artist myself what I'm telling you is there is no line, this is going to be determined by the person who's creating the work and what are the expectations that they're telling you in regards to that universe as in what are the limitations and boundaries are by them themselves as in, did SP tell you they're specifically making this role to be a believable historical thing?

When helping other artists sometimes they would often ask me about tips about creating their characters and sometimes they'll ask me something strange like is the eyes okay or is the nose okay

Sometimes they think I'm joking or trolling when I ask them, In your universe is it supposed to be this? Or Everything is okay lol

As in when you close your eyes is this the way you want the nose to be?

So I often have to stress with other artists, you decide what the fuck that is or isn't because using your weird logic it's like trying to say where is the line in terms if something is done poorly like with drawing someone yellow and drawn eyes "incorrectly" like Matt Groening from The Simpsons

He decides what that universe is as he is the artist , he is the architect.

So if sucker punch decides to tell you that little kids in their universe have amazing sword skills too and there's some mythical child swordsman that can catch swords with his teeth that is what it's going to be...

Look at Kojima, MGS series has lots of wild things that are not just explained, like Liquid jumping 100 plus feet to get into Metal Gear Rex or shit, Raiden being a child solder

Expand your mind and understand you are talking about a artistic thing in which that artist decides where the line is or isn't.

It is their world ,their boundaries.
You misunderstand my question.

Obviously you know the difference between good art and bad art. I'm saying for you, what would the protagonist have to be to where you personally would go "OK, that pulls me out of the fantasy"?

This is not a question intended for the artist but of the audience.

Would you be OK with a 13 year old boy as the sword wielding warrior protagonist? What about a 70 year old woman? What about the blue coat wearing round Concord character? What about an anthropomorphic horse?

Everyone has a threshold where a poorly designed character pulls them out of the narrative. For me, it's watching a small woman outdual trained male samura in mortal combat. I'm asking what it would be for you.

bender

What time is it?
Because I play Apex Legends and when Valkyrie was introduced there was no mention of her sexual orientation, but later they revealed she was a lesbian, I wonder why...

Serious question: without the announcement would you know the sexual orientation of Valkyrie or is it a situation like the characters in Overwatch? I don't play Apex but did play Overwatch and was wholly unaware of the finer details of the characters personal sexual identities and preferences.

Boss Mog

The point is that sexual orientation wasn't a focus. There was no options to romance or anything like that. There was the one side quest you mentioned and that was just about it. If that changes with GoY then it will be a major departure from the first game.
As I said there was a clear romance between Jin and Yuna, establishing Jin as straight. What I'm saying is that I won't be surprised if there are clear signs of romance between Yotei's protagonist and another woman, establishing her as a lesbian. This would be completely in keeping with the first game.

Topher

Gold Member
Chiyome was only known as a poet with alleged claims that she created a group of kunoichi is heavily doubted. Also, not sure why they're treating kunoichi as real as their existence is still questioned AFAIK... only shinobi are documented.

That's fair. The other examples still apply except for the one that is myth, I guess. Point is a female Japanese warrior is rare, but not an impossibility.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Serious question: without the announcement would you know the sexual orientation of Valkyrie or is it a situation like the characters in Overwatch? I don't play Apex but did play Overwatch and was wholly unaware of the finer details of the characters personal sexual identities and preferences.
Yeah you would know it without reading the stories, just by playing the game because they added voice lines in-game. I remember an intro quip that was added later at the character select screen where she says she "likes her women like her sake, cool and unfiltered" or something to that effect.

Topher

Gold Member
As I said there was a clear romance between Jin and Yuna, establishing Jin as straight. What I'm saying is that I won't be surprised if there are clear signs of romance between Yotei's protagonist and another woman, establishing her as a lesbian. This would be completely in keeping with the first game.

That's fine. bender bender was talking about sexual content and I replied. I have no problem with what you are describing, personally. Sucker Punch did a good job even with that side quest. It wasn't nearly as heavy handed as other examples such as that absurd gay date quest in Spider-man 2.

Did I watch a different launch trailer to others on GAF?
Apart from being a female protagonist i did not see anything that indicated the characters sexual orientation. Just a lot of conjecture here.
Will this same conjecture happen when the new Zelda game release this week? Or the next Metroid or Tomraider?
I do not think that all game design decisions are part of a "woke agenda".

Top Bottom