• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Why do you guys need to be so extremist? GAF have something in common with Era: both have full of extremist users, they are just in opposite sides.

I think people really lose the ability to think for themselves, everyone today just want to pick a side. lol
Social media in general is turning the world into 2 huge bubbles. It's woke or anti-woke, it's left or right, it's blue or red. There's no nuance over nothing. You're either with me or against me. You're either on my side or 100% against everything i stand for.

There was a time not that long ago where people could actually have healthy discussions about everything...not anymore.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
Yeah but at least choose the right game, Ghost of Tsushima is fiction but it's still about humans without superpowers, it will be very hard to take it seriously.
It's funny where people draw the line at realism. In Uncharted, you play as Nathan Drake, who is a treasure hunter, who unabashedly goes around killing hundreds of people in each game to finally reach the treasure. It's so unrealistic and dumb, but people don't blink twice because its a video game. Video games, for the most, always have used fantastical elements. And Japan has such a rich history that is filled with exaggerated larger than life stories and characters. It's absurd to draw the line that the main protagonist is a woman

Rise of the Ronin came out early this year. Nobody was bitching about one of the Blade Twins being a woman, and how unrealistic that was. Let's be honest, a lot of gamers just never want to play to as a woman, it offends them to their core. People hide behind "historical accuracy", when very few games ever attempt to be that

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Social media in general is turning the world into 2 huge bubbles. It's woke or anti-woke, it's left or right, it's blue or red. There's no nuance over nothing. You're either with me or against me. You're either on my side or 100% against everything i stand for.

There was a time not that long ago where people could actually have healthy discussions about everything...not anymore.

Agreed.

Its gotten to a point where merely liking a video game is now a claim of supporting a cause or "defending" this or that, instead of just playing a video game to play it.

Rise of the Ronin came out early this year. Nobody was bitching about one of the Blade Twins being a woman

They pick and choose when they want to be triggered about that, its why i question that um "concern" when they try to act as if their criticisms are solely about a game or something. I'm still waiting for a video dissecting that whole game lol Since some of you are so dedicated to that um "history" being respected lol

Last edited:

brenobnfm

It's funny where people draw the line at realism. In Uncharted, you play as Nathan Drake, who is a treasure hunter, who unabashedly goes around killing hundreds of people in each game to finally reach the treasure. It's so unrealistic and dumb, but people don't blink twice because its a video game. Video games, for the most, always have used fantastical elements. And Japan has such a rich history that is filled with exaggerated larger than life stories and characters. It's absurd to draw the line that the main protagonist is a woman

Rise of the Ronin came out early this year. Nobody was bitching about one of the Blade Twins being a woman, and how unrealistic that was. Let's be honest, a lot of gamers just never want to play to as a woman, it offends them to their core. People hide behind "historical accuracy", when very few games ever attempt to be that

The whole problem is that you don't stop to think 5 seconds before posting, you know that Uncharted had a woman protagonist and no one complained, right? Because the internal logic of that universe is very different, no one takes Drake seriously.

It's not about historical accuracy, it could've been 100% fiction, it's still a game featuring humans without superpowers, women can't fight men head to head repeatedly and not die very quickly, it doesn't happen, and the game taking itself so seriously makes it even more dumb and cringe.

Embearded

They need to claim historical accuracy? So if you set a realistic game in 1603 Japan you shouldn't expect to see 1603 Japan portrayed accurately? :pie_eyeroll:

1603 is a very historical year in Japan, it marks the end of feudalism and the start of the Tokugawa shogunate. I can't imagine the devs picking that year by chance, so they clearly care about historical accuracy otherwise what's the point of using real dates and events? Or I guess maybe only when certain current ideologies are at stake does historical accuracy take a back seat.

I don't believe it was selected by chance either. They saw something in the era and maybe also the area that made them want to place the events there. That doesn't mean they have to create a historical game that shows how things evolved. They can tell their story with made up people and events in that timeline.

And yes they need to claim historical accuracy if that's what they are aiming for and if they don't want to be accurate they should stay away from using real historical figures in the game.

Do you have this expectation from all movies and games or only when women are involved? Because if you do, most of the media out there is not for you.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Made a thread about wokism a few days ago. Nothing radical or insulting in it, just wanted a serious discussion. Got instantly closed by the admin. Even in a place like this with "best boobs" or "tightest butts" threads it seems not possible to discuss things properly.

EDMIX

it's still a game featuring humans without superpowers, women can't fight men head to head repeatedly and not die very quickly
ok....have you actually played Ghost Of Tsushima?

Enough fantastical things happen in this IP, that I'd relax with this idea that its world supports what you are saying.

Jin is fighting hordes of men, some times many times larger then him, with flaming swords, some times fighting demons, with bombs and shit, you fight an old man, you fight women, this game is fantastical sir, it is not some game that is just about "humans without superpowers" as in its limited to our realities limitations

Unless you think demons are real sir

This IP is very much in the fantastical realm of wild shit be happening.

Like...sir, I BEG YOUR FUCKING PARDON

Cakeboxer Cakeboxer point me to that best boobs thread later for.....like research on like, historical stuff..

Last edited:

Vlodril

I am excited for this. I think Sucker Punch can do the game justice.

For people rolling their eyes at the knee jerk "woke" reaction. At least stop pretending like you don't know how we got here. Why people are having that reaction in the first place.

Is it unfair to paint any game with a female lead as woke? Yes
Does having a female/minority lead game determine its quality? No
Just stop pretending you don't know why these reactions are coming from the gaming community. Gamers are on "Fool me once" mode. They need to be convinced and shown that these games are more than virtue signal window dressing shlop. That is only the fault of the game makers.

This is the messy part where games will be tarred and feathered justly/unjustly because of the activist ass hats who pushed so aggressively. My god, the perpetual victim complex.
The Market is correcting itself.

I have hopes for this game. Sony (2024) makes me a bit nervous, but the recent flop after flop might reach their ears.

People that are anti-woke on every single thing (oh no a woman what ever will we do) are the same as the stupid woke people (my diversity..). Two sides of the same retarded coin we should drop into a sewer and never speak of it again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why do you guys need to be so extremist? GAF have something in common with Era: both have full of extremist users, they are just in opposite sides.

I think people really lose the ability to think for themselves, everyone today just want to pick a side. lol

fQJ6T8m.jpeg

Made a thread about wokism a few days ago. Nothing radical or insulting in it, just wanted a serious discussion. Got instantly closed by the admin. Even in a place like this with "best boobs" or "tightest butts" threads it seems not possible to discuss things properly.
That's mostly because it's always going to turn into a political conversation and that's not allowed in here.

husomc

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/24/ghost-of-yotei-is-coming-in-2025/

Today we are so happy to announce Ghost of Yōtei, the latest game from Sucker Punch and the introduction of our new hero, Atsu.

When we set out to make a new Ghost game, we wanted to maintain the core pillars established in Ghost of Tsushima: playing as a wandering warrior in Feudal Japan, offering freedom to explore at your own pace, and highlighting the beauty of the world.

We also wanted to continue to innovate. To create something fresh but familiar, we looked beyond Jin Sakai’s story and the island of Tsushima, and shifted our focus to the idea of the Ghost instead. At Sucker Punch we love origin stories, and we wanted to explore what it could mean to have a new hero wearing a Ghost mask, and uncovering a new legend. This led us to Ghost of Yōtei: a new protagonist, a new story to unfold, and a new region of Japan to explore.

While we aren’t diving into story specifics yet today, we can reveal that Atsu’s journey takes place in 1603, more than 300 years after the events of Ghost of Tsushima. Our story is set in the lands surrounding Mount Yōtei, a towering peak in the heart of Ezo, an area of Japan known as Hokkaido in present day. In 1603, this area was outside the rule of Japan, and filled with sprawling grasslands, snowy tundras, and unexpected dangers. It’s a far cry from the organized samurai clans who lived in Tsushima, and it’s the setting for an original story we can’t wait to tell.

This is also Sucker Punch’s first game built from the ground up for PlayStation 5, and we’re excited to build on the visual foundation we established in Ghost of Tsushima by making the world feel even more real. We have massive sightlines that let you look far across the environment, whole new skies featuring twinkling stars and auroras, even more believable movement from wind on grass and vegetation, and more improvements we’ll share in the future. Our new setting also gives us the opportunity to introduce new mechanics, gameplay improvements, and even new weapons.

Our trailer today offers a glimpse into this world, but there’s so much more to show, and we’ll have much more to share in the months ahead, including details about Atsu’s journey and the people (and animals) she’ll meet along the way. We are forever grateful for the success of Ghost of Tsushima, and we can’t wait for you all to experience Ghost of Yōtei in 2025.
Reading this I was getting a bit scared but in the last paragraph they committed to identifying 'Atsu' as a 'She'. Now I'm rejoicing :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Reading this I was getting a bit scared but in the last paragraph they committed to identifying 'Atsu' as a 'She'. Now I'm rejoicing :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
A historical game having a non-binary main character would be a PR nightmare that the game would never recover.

Sony isn't spending 150M or more per AAA game for that to happen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You honestly think she was the best choice they could’ve gotten? Come on man. Plenty of super talented, hetero non alphabet Japanese women out there to fit the bill Im sure.
The actress can sheet a katana with the grace of a drunk powerslap competitor, she was clearly the only possible choice.

Stu_Hart

The way the 1st game ended on a cliff-hanger gave me hope that they will continue the story with the shogun pursuing jin, and there was a 2nd mongol invasion. They could use so many angles to continue this further....
This new game apparently takes place several hundreds of years after the 1st one. There better be a good presentation of lore that explains of what happened in-between.

Aion002

Gold Member
You clearly have no concept of what samurai are. Skilled samurais fought in many battles, including ones where they were at a numerical disadvantage, and killed hundreds of opponents. Katanas are very heavy, they would be hard to wield for a woman, harder yet to master, especially to a point where you could dispatch several opponents at once. If you can't recognize the physical strength and other advantages men have over women, then there's really no point in engaging with you, so just stick with giving me LOL reactions, it's what you do best.
Katanas weren't samurai's main weapon during war.

Katanas were the last resource a samurai had on war, they would use primary naginatas (or spears) for close combat and bows for long distance, then later tanegashimas (matchlock gun).

In a fight, a skilled warrior using a yari or a naginata would always be in advantage over another skilled warrior using a katana.

I find funny that some people fixate on realism in video games nitpicking some things and ignoring others, like most didn't complain that in Tsushima you can't use a spear or a naginata and your main weapon was a modern katana, a thing that didn't exist at the time.... Yet now on Yotei, some are arguing that a female warrior as the main character is unrealistic, something that actually existed through Japanese history.

How Bizarre Reaction GIF

Last edited:

EDMIX

Katanas weren't samurai's main weapon in war.

Katanas were the last resource a samurai had on war, they would use primary naginatas (or spears) for close combat and bows for long distance, then later tanegashimas (matchlock gun).

In a fight, a skilled warrior using a yari or a naginata would always be in advantage over another skilled warrrior using a katana.

I find funny that some people fixate on realism in video games nitpicking some things and ignoring others, like most didn't complain that in Tsushima you can't use a spear or a naginata and your main weapon was a modern katana, something that didn't exist at the time.... Yet now on Yotei, some are arguing that a female warrior as the main character unrealistic, something that actually existed through Japanese history.

How Bizarre Reaction GIF
thank-you-the-office.gif

YuLY

I have really tried to play games with female characters, I tried Horizon, Tomb Raider, Control. I just dont get invested cause I dont identify with the characters and I drop them after a few hours. I honestly believe that if I was really sexist of some shit, I wouldnt have given them a chance in the first place, but I really tried, I just lose interest quickly. The only games where I could in recent memory were Resident Evil 3 and Bayonetta 1 (it helps that I just wouldnt see Bayonetta as anything else to be fair).

I wish I could play anything like some people do, but I'm not like that, I always put myself in the shoes of the playable character in games even if I see them as more of an idealized version of me, not that I am Titus from Space Marine in real life, I just wish I was so I enjoy playing as that.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think it's absolutely justified to express that you don't like the main character change, as you did, from a gameplay/story perspective. But equating having a female protagonist to the game being woke is too much of a stretch. I can't see anything woke just from the trailer, if it does turn out to be liberal trash, you can count on me to meme in every GoY thread, like I did in Concord, Suicide Squad and many more, lol.
Every single large AAA sequel recently release by Sony had worse storytelling and was much more preachy.

TLOU2, Spider-Man 2, Ragnarock, Horizons 2, even Uncharted 4 expansion.

Jin was a likable lead with more story to tell. Instead we do another switch to female lead by a Sony studio. There is nothing wrong with a female lead and there have been plenty of great games with good storytelling.

I am just extremely skeptical of a Sony studio being able to deliver that.

gakidx

Neo Member
I have really tried to play games with female characters, I tried Horizon, Tomb Raider, Control. I just dont get invested cause I dont identify with the characters and I drop them after a few hours. I honestly believe that if I was really sexist of some shit, I wouldnt have given them a chance in the first place, but I really tried, I just lose interest quickly. The only games where I could in recent memory were Resident Evil 3 and Bayonetta 1 (it helps that I just wouldnt see Bayonetta as anything else to be fair).

I wish I could play anything like some people do, but I'm not like that, I always put myself in the shoes of the playable character in games even if I see them as more of an idealized version of me, not that I am Titus from Space Marine in real life, I just wish I was so I enjoy playing as that.
Hey, at least you tried!

I do love games where is further of me so I can experience other stuff, but to each its own

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Why does anyone care who the actress is? No one will be playing as her. She is playing the role.

What am I missing?
Some may say role and real life are two different things. But why do so many actors get canceled for real life shit then? Because you can't separate it entirely.
Besides all jokes i really don't have a problem playing a (probably lesbian) woman in a game who beats up men if it's not too over the top.

But people like her are like a red flag to me. I bet there are thousands of talented asian women that can hold a sword AND are fit. Yet of Course they had to pick such a "special one" with let's say questionable attitudes.

gakidx

Neo Member
Every single large AAA sequel recently release by Sony had worse storytelling and was much more preachy.

Jin was a likable lead with more story to tell. Instead we do another switch to female lead by a Sony studio. There is nothing wrong with a female lead and there have been plenty of great games with good storytelling.

I'm very interested in the background of the character, being an Auni, which other than GK, I don't think they get real representation in gaming, so its a rather unconventional new perspective that I will gladly check out

midnightAI

I disagree with more story to tell, he's on the run from the Shogun for the rest of his life, you want to play a game where you just use stealth only to avoid combat with the Shogun the entire time?

StereoVsn

I'm very interested in the background of the character, being an Auni, which other than GK, I don't think they get real representation in gaming, so its a rather unconventional new perspective that I will gladly check out
Personally I wanted a conventional perspective and hoped they they would build on the first game instead of scrapping everything.

And with Ainu I almost can feel the “anti-colonization / brave native” type of sermon.

Again, hope I am wrong. Certainly a good tale of vengeance could be told about loss of family.

gakidx

Neo Member
Jin story was pretty much finished, isn't it? He is on the run forever and that's it. What more you can tell with this character? like being a merc? that's a bit played out isn't it?

StereoVsn

I disagree with more story to tell, he's on the run from the Shogun for the rest of his life, you want to play a game where you just use stealth only to avoid combat with the Shogun the entire time?

There are many ways to spin it if they have good writers. For example a suicide mission or saving the Emperor or just traveling as Ronin and doing Seven Samurai scenario.

There are many ways to approach that story.

gakidx

Neo Member
Personally I wanted a conventional perspective and hoped they they would build on the first game instead of scrapping everything.

And with Ainu I almost can feel the “anti-colonization / brave native” type of sermon.

Again, hope I am wrong. Certainly a good tale of vengeance could be told about loss of family.
Jin story was pretty much done, though. He did his part, he shaked off the samurai code and is a ronin, is not really scrapped, is just done. Nothing bad with anti-colonization, the og game was 'structure of power bad' 'honor is a flawed system' that is a strong stance, stronger I may say.

StereoVsn

Jin story was pretty much done, though. He did his part, he shaked off the samurai code and is a ronin, is not really scrapped, is just done. Nothing bad with anti-colonization, the og game was 'structure of power bad' 'honor is a flawed system' that is a strong stance, stronger I may say.
I will agree to disagree. I have enough of modern media preaching about anti colonization.

A game where Jin as Ronin could regain his status or stay the course could have been quite interesting to me.

Pejo

I will agree to disagree. I have enough of modern media preaching about anti colonization.

A game where Jin as Ronin could regain his status or stay the course could have been quite interesting to me.
Yea a troubled redemption arc could have been great. There was a lot they could still do with Jin without ruining the first game's story.

I think one of the things that made me upset the most was how they had Atsu hidden behind a mask until the "wow it's a woman!11!!1!" reveal at the end of the trailer. It's just like a spiteful type of reveal in the current day climate. I'd have honestly been less bothered if they showed her as a regular citizen in the beginning of the trailer and spun her into a sword wielding combatant later.

gakidx

Neo Member

I mean, from what I recall, the last thing that dude wanted was reconciliation with the samurai code, but sure.

gakidx

Neo Member
Yea a troubled redemption arc could have been great. There was a lot they could still do with Jin without ruining the first game's story.

I think one of the things that made me upset the most was how they had Atsu hidden behind a mask until the "wow it's a woman!11!!1!" reveal at the end of the trailer. It's just like a spiteful type of reveal in the current day climate. I'd have honestly been less bothered if they showed her as a regular citizen in the beginning of the trailer and spun her into a sword wielding combatant later.
I feel you are reading way too much into it. It was clear from the mask it wasn't Jin (game takes place 300 years after GOT1, did Jin achieve immortality or something? or a man

That's a woman for sure, my guess it was going to be a 'create your own character' until the reveal of the actress to be fair

Pejo

I feel you are reading way too much into it. It was clear from the mask it wasn't Jin (game takes place 300 years after GOT1, did Jin achieve immortality or something? or a man

That's a woman for sure, my guess it was going to be a 'create your own character' until the reveal of the actress to be fair

Repeat watching after watching details =! the first watch reveal. I'd imagine very few people picked up on the details before the womyxn reveal at the end.

Rudius

A war is better than a massacre. Two sides fighting is better than one hegemonic group destroying everything and everyone unopposed.

Top Bottom