• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

JackMcGunns

PlayStation is back.

we-re-back-we%E2%80%99re-back.gif

Zathalus

You clearly have no concept of what samurai are. Skilled samurais fought in many battles, including ones where they were at a numerical disadvantage, and killed hundreds of opponents. Katanas are very heavy, they would be hard to wield for a woman, harder yet to master, especially to a point where you could dispatch several opponents at once. If you can't recognize the physical strength and other advantages men have over women, then there's really no point in engaging with you, so just stick with giving me LOL reactions, it's what you do best.
Excuse me? Katanas are very heavy? They weigh like 1.3kg on average. No one handed blade is going to be very heavy as that would defeat the point.

JaksGhost

She is obsessed with her sexuality and gender (choice), nothing else is important...
But that’s her personal life and has nothing to do with the character. Are you guys pulling up the profile of every voice actor in the industry and their personal opinion or are you guys searching for something to be mad about? You’ve created an agenda where there isn’t one because instead of enjoying games you would rather bitch about them. She’s a voice actress with over 30 credits, are you going to analyze and boycott all of her past work now?

She cares, she is advertising her sexual choices everywhere. We will see how her in game character will compare.
This is my only complaint and worry really. I don't care who is portraying a character as long as politics and whatnot aren't forced into my games by said people. But Sony's track record is not looking into my favor. The first game had no romance or anything like that, so I'll be more than glad if the second doesn't.

Last edited:

Natsuko

I'm looking forward to that. I was hoping it might be Tomoe, but that's probably out of question. It's a shame, I liked the character in GoT. The trailer looked aesthetically pleasing. I already liked the game world in the predecessor. The scene with the horses ... picturesque.

Embearded

Who cares what stupid ideas the actress believes in. Unless they are in the game and for now there are zero clues for that, its her damn job and it shouldn't matter.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
At what point are some of you people going to accept that a woman lead is not woke? When do we get back to normal on this? Or is that it now, woman leads will always be woke from this day forth?
That's what happens if you overdue something. Women lead or strong women weren't a problemin the past. Now it mostly feels articicial and we are at a point where everbody yells woke as soon as there is a female, non white or homosexual lead. Sad but true. How to change this? No idea, but maybe give people a Duke Nukem from time to time.

xanaum

I watched the trailer again today to try to identify that cursed agenda, like some people are saying, but in my opinion, we need more dialogue, context, and to get to know the protagonist's personality before saying if there's an ideological agenda. Just being a woman isn't enough.

I don’t know why, but I got the vibe of the 1995 western movie The Quick and the Dead from the trailer
j45ZlDM.jpeg

CGNoire

Great, another literally insane person who hates most normal people and assaults people and is all around mentally ill has a prominent role at Sony.

"No its a coincidence, no she must have changed, no surely it won't effect the game, no the developers don't mean anything by making this thing the lead...!"

Insert your own cope above. How many times must this exact same pattern play out? Easiest skip of my life.
Yeah I,m out.

SSfox

I watched the trailer again today to try to identify that cursed agenda, like some people are saying, but in my opinion, we need more dialogue, context, and to get to know the protagonist's personality before saying if there's an ideological agenda. Just being a woman isn't enough.

I don’t know why, but I got the vibe of the 1995 western movie The Quick and the Dead from the trailer
j45ZlDM.jpeg

I used to watch this over and over, I really think Herod (by Gene Hackman) is one of the best villain in movie history

Great, another literally insane person who hates most normal people and assaults people and is all around mentally ill has a prominent role at Sony.

"No its a coincidence, no she must have changed, no surely it won't effect the game, no the developers don't mean anything by making this thing the lead...!"

Insert your own cope above. How many times must this exact same pattern play out? Easiest skip of my life.
Some of you need to get a grip 😂. She's playing the roll of a voice actress, not a writer. Really don't see how anyone could make a stretch that this suddenly makes the game woke or anything. Like maybe SP will make this game "woke" with some nonsense, but I don't think the actress who is playing the lead really has any say in that.

JaksGhost

We want to play games that aren't infested with the woke plague.
Wukong and Space Marines 2 are good examples.

Who is the target audience for their games? Core gamers that reject woke bullshit.

They were convinced by someone that going woke and shitting on their audience will be successful but so far it doesn't work like that.
What is woke about this game? A 3 minute trailer where the main character doesn’t utter a single word, but somehow there’s woke shit in it. Where?! And don’t pull out that “if you can’t see it I can’t help you” response that plagues this forum.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

GAF: Where are the games Sony!
Also GAF: We don’t want to play your games Sony!
FANS: Hey Sony, where are the good games ? would be awesome to see a sequel of Tsushima with Jin and Tomoe.
Sony: Here is a lot of games that u guys dont asked for, we ll do nothing that fans want and we ll kill every mc that you guys like, please buy our games.

Last edited:
I see the "surely it won't effect the game in any way" Cope to "oh, it does effect the game" cycle is yet again repeating.

Now, if it truly is 100% isolated and effects the game in no way, I'll be the first to admit they merely hired an insane person to voice a normal character. But unlike some here, I do think the hiring is not coincidental nor isolated, especially with Sony's recent titles. You're free to bet the opposite, we'll see what'll end up being the case.

Last edited:
Controlling female characters make a game woke in 2024? damn...what's next? lmao
It is when it's a historical setting and women weren't soldier's or at war. They 99% of the time took care of the home while the man was out fighting, raised children, worked medical tents, cooked etc... They did their part and war would not be done without them, it was just different then fighting and that is ok.

Men and women are different, the woke ideology(an offshoot of 3rd wave feminism) neglects this point and neglects history. They believe gender is a social construct, it is not. Gender is biological. Ask my wife to go watch a war flick, she won't like it. Why its ingrained in her dna. Women are mostly nurturing in some way. Are their women and men who go against the norms, absolutely, but that doesn't mean the norms don't exist or are wrong.

Nothing wrong with controlling female characters, but if it's a historical setting with realistic graphics, it needs to stay grounded in some sense of history and reality. If she was a kunoichi (female ninja) or Onna-Musha (a term referring to female warriors in pre-modern Japan, who were members of the Bushi (warrior) class. They were trained in the use of weapons to protect their household, family, and honor in times of war. Many of them fought in battle alongside samurai men.) then this would be fine. I hope that is the case as Japanese history has records of this and even artwork from different time periods.

I am going to give Sucker Punch the benefit of the doubt, but with a critical eye. They hired a they/them activist to be the voice actor so who knows who else is in there pulling the strings or who is on the writing staff. Even if SBI is not involved there is still people on the dev teams that push for that stuff.

No, the problem isn't female characters. The problem is they pushed them and only them for the last 5+ years that it gets tiring. They don't know when to say enough and do both types of characters. So when we see male characters get killed off, when their female counterparts are stronger and push out feminst talking points in the games, yeah people rightfully get sick of it and don't want to play. Also they make them look like dudes. Make a female look feminine and likable and people wouldn't care as much.

FewRope

Who cares what stupid ideas the actress believes in. Unless they are in the game and for now there are zero clues for that, its her damn job and it shouldn't matter.
People truly think that a hired actress it's going to get full creative control on this lmao

Reaseru

I'll repeat myself.... What is woke about this game?

Nothing. Having a female protagonist as the lead character is no woke at all, but I think some of the people here are very skeptical more because of Sony's track record regarding female leads and their stories, especially in the last 5 years.

And the voice actress choice doesn't help that all to ease that skepticism. The actor for Jin was a normal everyday dude, yet the female choice is someone that practically fills every woke stereotype in the book, even if she has no input in the game creative decisions. That choice feels more like a political stance from the devs more than anything else, no matter how you view it...

But that's my take.

Edit: If people here can remember, many gamers were starting to get saturated and complaining about the stereotypical bald dudebro protagonist from the late 2000s. And that brownish color palette many games had during the ps3/360 era.

Last edited:
It is when it's a historical setting and women weren't soldier's or at war. They 99% of the time took care of the home while the man was out fighting, raised children, worked medical tents, cooked etc... They did their part and war would not be done without them, it was just different then fighting and that is ok.

Men and women are different, the woke ideology(an offshoot of 3rd wave feminism) neglects this point and neglects history. They believe gender is a social construct, it is not. Gender is biological. Ask my wife to go watch a war flick, she won't like it. Why its ingrained in her dna. Women are mostly nurturing in some way. Are their women and men who go against the norms, absolutely, but that doesn't mean the norms don't exist or are wrong.

Nothing wrong with controlling female characters, but if it's a historical setting with realistic graphics, it needs to stay grounded in some sense of history and reality. If she was a kunoichi (female ninja) or Onna-Musha (a term referring to female warriors in pre-modern Japan, who were members of the Bushi (warrior) class. They were trained in the use of weapons to protect their household, family, and honor in times of war. Many of them fought in battle alongside samurai men.) then this would be fine. I hope that is the case as Japanese history has records of this and even artwork from different time periods.

I am going to give Sucker Punch the benefit of the doubt, but with a critical eye. They hired a they/them activist to be the voice actor so who knows who else is in there pulling the strings or who is on the writing staff. Even if SBI is not involved there is still people on the dev teams that push for that stuff.

No, the problem isn't female characters. The problem is they pushed them and only them for the last 5+ years that it gets tiring. They don't know when to say enough and do both types of characters. So when we see male characters get killed off, when their female counterparts are stronger and push out feminst talking points in the games, yeah people rightfully get sick of it and don't want to play. Also they make them look like dudes. Make a female look feminine and likable and people wouldn't care as much.
Plenty of people have mentioned that female samurais have existed before.

And since you want to be historicaly accurate, you failed at even that. Wars like WWII with most men out of their homes fighting, plenty of women started working to support their families. They weren't sitting around at home cooking and raising children only. They had to provide for their families as well. Dude, you had female assassins during WWII as well. And some were pretty damn good at it.

About your wife not enjoying war movies...plenty of women like war movies. And plenty of men don't enjoy them.

And as you mentioned, there's people that go against the norms. Same as this game. So what's the problem? Was this an issue when Disney released Mulan back in the 90's?

People love to throw around that "women fighting men just isn't realistic" but then go to the movies watching John Wick murdering an entire building of trained soldiers with a single handgun. But sure...realism am i right? Only works one way it seems.

Trilobit

Ghost of Tsushima female characters were all really well written, also Jin's story was, in my opinion, concluded perfectly, so I don't know why I see bitching about new female protagonist...

New time period, location and protagonist sounds pretty fckin exciting ngl.

I wouldn't go that far. Lady Masako was the embodiment of the Leeroy Jenkins meme and it got tiring after the third time she went against Jin's wish. Not to mention her trying to kill you all of a sudden. I understand that they tried to portray a grieving woman who wants revenge, but instead they created The Hulk.

:messenger_loudly_crying: I'm sorry for doubting you Hermen Hulst. That was the best State of Play ever!

Ghost of Yotei is all I needed to see to restore my faith. PS5 Pro is a day one buy for me.

:messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: 2025 can't get here soon enough!
Wait, you see one trailer with no gameplay, and its the best state of play ever. lololol. really? And buying an expensive console that isn't needed for 1 game. Ridiculous.
I hope you are being sarcastic.

I guess you weren't around for Sony conferences in the 2000s and early 2010s. When we would get 5-6 first party AAA games dropped in a year. 2008 e3 show- > GTA4, GT5, MGS4, Motorstorm pacific rift, Killzone 2, LBP, Fallout 3, resistance 2, infamous, Resident evil 5, Bioshock. But this was the best conference.... lolololol.

midnightAI

Why are you people always pretending to be dumb? The most usual shit the cult does is parasitically taking successful franchises and then impose their diversity quotas on them because that's the only way they can ever succeed
What do you mean by 'you people'? (Joke)

I was excited for this game,it's a sequel to my favourite PS4 game, I was excited to discuss the game, the changes from the first, the change in time period,the change in protagonist and what it means for Jins saga, the changes to combat, the amazing vistas.....
But no, this thread has turned to absolute shit because of some supposed 'woke' agenda.

We laugh at the purple forum because of their dumb political agendas but today they are laughing at us because this shit is insane.

Last edited:

Bitstream

I guess you weren't around for Sony conferences in the 2000s and early 2010s. When we would get 5-6 first party AAA games dropped in a year. 2008 e3 show- > GTA4, GT5, MGS4, Motorstorm pacific rift, Killzone 2, LBP, Fallout 3, resistance 2, infamous, Resident evil 5, Bioshock. But this was the best conference.... lolololol.
GTA4, MGS4, Resident Evil 5, Bioshock - these aren't first party.

Last edited:
Plenty of people have mentioned that female samurais have existed before.

And since you want to be historicaly accurate, you failed at even that. Wars like WWII with most men out of their homes fighting, plenty of women started working to support their families. They weren't sitting around at home cooking and raising children only. They had to provide for their families as well. Dude, you had female assassins during WWII as well. And some were pretty damn good at it.

About your wife not enjoying war movies...plenty of women like war movies. And plenty of men don't enjoy them.

And as you mentioned, there's people that go against the norms. Same as this game. So what's the problem? Was this an issue when Disney released Mulan back in the 90's?

People love to throw around that "women fighting men just isn't realistic" but then go to the movies watching John Wick murdering an entire building of trained soldiers with a single handgun. But sure...realism am i right? Only works one way it seems.
You missed the part where I give Sucker punch the benefit of the doubt and even say there is historical precedence for this for women characters, as long as it is historically grounded. Onna-Musha - female warriors in pre-modern Japan, who were members of the Bushi (warrior) class. They were trained in the use of weapons to protect their household, family, and honor in times of war. Many of them fought in battle alongside samurai men.
If they do it properly, I personally won't have a problem with it.

What I have, and many also have an issue with is Sony and other creatives are for the last 5 or so plus years, against having straight masculine characters. Everything is a female, and usually a gay one. Not attractive, and made to appease twitter folks, not the existing fanbase. I understand why this was done, to get more women in games, but instead of making a mix of games with different characters they go full woke by no longer making masculine male leads. Days gone and Ghosts 1 were the last, kratos had his moment but he isn't really new. If Sony was putting out a new Killzone game, socom, infamous or what not with a male lead, having a female lead in this would not be a problem. The issue is the pattern, the trend if you will.

Sonik

What do you mean by 'you people'? (Joke)

I was excited for this game,it's a sequel to my favourite PS4 game, I was excited to discuss the game, the changes from the first, the change in time period,the change in protagonist and what it means for Jins saga, the changes to combat, the amazing vistas.....
But no, this thread has turned to absolute shit because of some supposed 'woke' agenda.

We laugh at the purple forum because of their dumb political agendas but today they are laughing at us because this shit is insane.

You didn't address my point, you're just complaining about people complaining when before you were playing dumb about what pissed people off. Some people are rightfully annoyed for the typical now bait and switch of the cult, this isn't the first or one of the first times it happened, it happens all the goddamn time now, it's just pathetic

At this point I think I'll just stop playing Western AAA games and let the industry collapse, I'm done with these nutjobs

JayK47

The graphics and setting look impressive. But knowing what Sony has become and seeing who the actress is, I highly doubt I would enjoy this game. I am almost certain it will be a cringefest.

As someone who used to prefer playing a female character in past Bioware games and didn't mind playing as Lara Croft, female leads in games these days are insufferable. And it is due to poor casting and writing. 100% ideological BS. And I love this forum, because someone will post the reason why the female lead is insufferable. It is always a they/then writer/director nutjob. Every one of these AAA studios has been completely overrun by they/them. It happened rather suddenly, yet many of you still carry a torch for these developers based on previous titles you enjoyed. But those days are over. Feel free to "day 1" the shit out of these modern games all you want, but I will either pass on them altogether or only grab them years later for sale or free on Epic.

GTA4, MGS4, Resident Evil 5, Bioshock - these aren't first party.
What does that have to do with it, even with just first party thats Motorstorm pacific rift, GT5, Killzone 2, LBP, resistance 2, infamous all first party. Way more than 1 game trailer, and those games had gameplay shown. Also MGS5 may as well of been a first party game, hell it had ps3 controllers and such in the game. It was a different era and way better than any of the state of plays we have had

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You know what the difference is between a man with a katana charging a fortification with several dozen armored warriors wielding spears and archers vs a woman doing so?

Nothing, they both end up dead.

This is a game, one that is pure power fantasy really. You can claim its supposed to be "grounded" but the stuff Jin does in the first game is impossible for a man or a woman to really accomplish. You're complaining about (for a trained peak level athlete/warrior) a difference in 30% strength, 10% difference in sprinting speed and stamina, zero difference in long distance stamina, and very little differences in general hand speed and reflexes (for trained athletes you are talking about a few milliseconds). By this logic all video game protagonists should be the absolute peak of all physical parameters otherwise it breaks suspension of disbelief. And they better not get up to any superhuman shit neither.
Maybe you can answer the following question...

Take that trailer and insert a different protagonist in it. What would the character have to look like for you to essentially take my position?

The movie Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger is also an impossible fantasy. Why didn't they cast Judy Dench in that role? Or John Candy etc...

I'm just trying to see where people who disagree would draw the line.

Last edited:

midnightAI

You didn't address my point, you're just complaining about people complaining when before you were playing dumb about what pissed people off. Some people are rightfully annoyed for the typical now bait and switch of the cult, this isn't the first or one of the first times it happened, it happens all the goddamn time now, it's just pathetic

At this point I think I'll just stop playing Western AAA games and let the industry collapse, I'm done with these nutjobs
Because I don't care? I don't give a damn what pronouns the voice actor uses for a game I want to play. There is zero evidence so far that this person's views have any bearing whatsoever on the story of the game (and why would they, they are not a story writer) so until that time why should I care?

Top Bottom